/Prod/ - Music Production

Youtube Edition

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last Thread:

Attached: sick.jpg (1280x720, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3Jgn
instaud.io/3JgA
clyp.it/ejvsfmlb
instaud.io/3JgJ
youtu.be/_i8lF-EiLs0
instaud.io/3Jhg
instaud.io/3JjO
youtube.com/watch?v=i3k-ZTWl9mg
instaud.io/3Jl5
instaud.io/3JlK
youtube.com/watch?v=2tmPSK-w90o
youtube.com/watch?v=wSGKiadktyE
instaud.io/3Jm3
youtube.com/watch?v=PHWLDBq49So
instaud.io/3Jmp
instaud.io/3JmG
instaud.io/3JnC
instaud.io/3JnN
instaud.io/3Joa
clyp.it/khjpecvq?token=2df855377d0b3639b785390bda07d659
twitter.com/garoadmusic?lang=en
instaud.io/3JuT
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5559305
audioz.download/tutorials/video/142875-download_lynda-ableton-live-10-essential-training-tutorial.html
instaud.io/3JvM
instaud.io/3JvU
youtube.com/watch?v=mkJnoQwkgBU
clyp.it/faei4gzp
clyp.it/luipy4gf
clyp.it/vmgrm1qy
clyp.it/dno5iegw
mediafire.com/file/9pgw0qm87wmn66m/
www93.zippyshare.com/v/oJ9peOtS/file.html
instaud.io/3JAL
we
instaud.io/3JCt
clyp.it/gu3inimr
youtube.com/watch?v=RBGYQnjxMmI
youtube.com/watch?v=WyX-PRqzV78
clyp.it/pyt1h54u
instaud.io/3JE4
clyp.it/foc0tpco
instaud.io/3JFf
instaud.io/3JKl
instaud.io/3JKs
instaud.io/3JLf
instaud.io/3JMZ
clyp.it/cy255c1b
instaud.io/3JNT
clyp.it/vqtkmaru
youtu.be/GqLze-rC04Y
youtu.be/5rpZ-OIdCF8
youtube.com/watch?v=r-rvnybT47I
youtu.be/jkVTOjNOvxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

trap sucks and if you make trap beats you suck too
anime is for gays
piano is the superior instrument
music theory will make you a better composer/producer
gotta know the rules to break them properly
fpbp
dont @ me

>insert random notes in piano roll (fit to phrygian scale)
>chose preset from synth
>insert gross beat(s) on FX chain
>if too much lows, move notes up until it works
>trap producer

feedback?
instaud.io/3Jgn

Anyone with good ears care to comment this quick mix? Would be based.
instaud.io/3JgA

the middle part is pure cacophony, if you delete it and keep the rest it would be better
since you have a lot of stuff going on you should sidechain almost everything with the kick and snare

decide on what you want to make, in terms of the sound palette you want before you start making random progressions.
gate your drums more.
this sounds a bit like multiple songs mashed into one.
your cowbell/clave or whatever is way too loud
everything is fighting for space massively
it sounds better in halftime because there is less fighting for space due to the lowered tempo.
at 1.56 there is about half a second of the bass/arp/synth or whatever, for a moment the filter sounds very nice. i would try and foster this more consistently and write the track around that as a motif.
this sounds a lot like you are trying to do way too much. consider an orchestra, at what point are the most instruments playing, and which are they? realistically its not going to be more than 4 (maaaybe 5) layers, and they will be split between registers.
right now your percussion is the same register as the arps and the synths, so even though there is 3 layers it sounds like there is many more so its a clusterfuck to listen to and thats only for a moment at a time, there are more coming in and out so the progression and arrangement are clsuterfucked as well as the layers as well as the registers as well as the rhythm.
you need to keep it more simple and prioritise your elements.
groovey, sounds good, drums are dull in the mix - saturate them while gain matching. when the synth hits at the same time as the voice you are going to have to compromise one or the other, obviously the winner is the vocal because vocals always win. try ducking the synth to the transient of the vocal. alternatively try distorting the vocal a bit to raise the volume. again, always gain match your decision. maybe you can seperate them with imaging or reverb, but i dont think it needs it, all you need is some compromise.
sounds good.
personally i think thats bad advice because it doesnt address any of the issues. for example,sidechain is NO REPLACEMENT for a good arrangement.
/ramble

Sounds good to me. The only thing I'd say is the guitar stabs could be turned down a bit? Perhaps eq out some of the low mids from them too. Though my ears are garbage. So take it with a pinch of salt.

clyp.it/ejvsfmlb
I just finished re-recording the verse vocals for this. Pretty much done. Any feedback on the mix would be appreciated. Also I'm wondering if the verse is too quiet compared to the chorus.

Opinions on this beat? Also any advice on mixing vocals? Also the singing is just a placeholder
instaud.io/3JgJ

Thanks a lot based goldenears user. Great help and impressive knowledge. Also checked.

Good point about stabs. Thanks! Regarding your song. Vocals sound really good however however the panning/tremolo you have on guitar and perhaps the hi-hat doesn't work for me and has a slightly dizzying effect. Also i think your snare sound is too wide or too boosted in the highs and it would sound better with a more "full" snare sound. Sounds really good when full orchestration hits in the end but when the vocal/bass is not on rest of the sound is too bright and shivery. Also take with a grain of salt i'm no pro.

>sidechain is NO REPLACEMENT for a good arrangement.
that was for helping the mix but sometimes sidechain can be part of the arrangement, it has to be intentional though

>sometimes sidechain can be part of the arrangement
that sound is pretty dead atm but 99% of the time when people throw in "dude just side chain" it's really shitty advice

if it is intentional to the extent we are describing then it is already part of the arrangement.
what you originally described,
>sidechain almost everything with the kick and snare
is 100% a bad approach and is trying to polish turds
there is a huge difference between eric pryds using sc as an arrangement tool and sidechain kick/snare to fix a mix

whats gonna be popular after trap i wanna get ahead of the wave

fuck you
youtu.be/_i8lF-EiLs0

Late 90's, early 00's pop throwback -- think Britney Spears' Toxic.

you literally just posted exactly what they're talking about lol

literally just more hip-hop branded as something else, that's the sound of the next 30 years deal with it

guys tell me some sounds to /soundesign/ for distraction the depression is here :(((

Attached: 1548033223683.jpg (1000x1502, 560K)

hip hop without 808s - see injury reserve new album. it was shit mostly but it's where thinkgs are headed

Sup /prod/
Just came home from a reharsal with my band. I finally showed them a track I made by myself and they liked it and now we're gonna record at my bedroom instead of the studio

>now we're gonna record at my bedroom
Nice. Congratulations, Sammy. Please post the xvideo link once it's up!

instaud.io/3Jhg

Messing around on a lazy day. How could I transition to the chorus/drops better? What other stuff needs work? I know it all does, but I just want to make sure there's not something obvious I'm missing.

generic compression and tremoloey bass music desu
bright synths, heavy sidechain, sample pack drums, random film dialogue, generic and uninspired if you ask me but i guess im a bit of a purist i like more complex pieces with more movement/modulation and less persistent themes, this is what i would call brostep lol
if it makes you dance then you succeeded imo
im not gunna sit here and say that tune is trash but certainly isnt something i would want to make and thats not even considering the massive increase in production quality since this sorta stuff was mainstage, its not 2011 anymore

im gunna go and make some of this now
fuck i love making hiphop

>more complex pieces with more movement/modulation and less persistent themes
I'm feeling this. Lately I've been thinking about making two versions of tracks: one rather free with jazzy drumming and an alternate 4 on the floor dance version. It's a struggle. I love so much and want to do everything but I haven't figured out how yet.

I was a bit worried about the guitar/tremolo thing, Cheers for the feedback.

Are you just mocking or xvideos is a cute way to ask for our music recording?

>0 replies
fuck you guys i've had to sit here and write songs like a fucking neurotypical normie musician for hours what the fuck

instaud.io/3JjO

rate my room's acoustics

a track with guitars and vocals recorded in this room will sound like a bedroom track even after all the digial studio reverb added, wont it?

fuck off autistic, only normals allowed here

I didn't do anything to you wtfrick dude

>autistic
I know you just googled the term neurotypical and assumed it means not autistic, it doesn't. it's just somebody unburdened with mental illness

>will sound like a bedroom track
everything you've done sounds like a bedroom track, nothing's changed so why would anything be different now?

Make a drum kit that emulates old breaks.

i already knew what neurotypical means - not mentally ill / normal - i assumed you were joking about the autism of the posters of this website

exactly, we'll record at my room instead of a studio
here's my latest finished track youtube.com/watch?v=i3k-ZTWl9mg

why do you keep recording covers?

stop responding with your youtube shit nobody asked for it faggot

it's all he knows how to do :(

How do you achieve a chillwave aesthetic in FL studs? Going for a Washed Out, George Clanton type of vibe but I don't have a home studio.

c/p somebody else from last thread
>shitty (in a good way) compression
>slight detune/pitch drift
>roll of the high end a bit
>bit crush (12 bit seems to be a sweet spot)

at least that's part of it.
fuck i love that vibe clanton gets, i'd say it's pretty much the same but occasionally more extreme pitch drifting, modulation effects (chorus and phasing etc), and not the oldest older synths/drums (like digital 80s/90s not the analog stuff so much). I haven't listened in a minute but I recall drums being more chopped breaks... Idk man like he gives me a newer feel than other vapour/chill artists, like nostalgia for n' sync rather than petshop boyz u feel me?

because i can do whatever i want?

not true. next week i'll start recording my band's EP of originals.

>trap sucks and if you make trap beats you suck too
how do I make non-trap beats

>Late 90's, early 00's pop throwback -- think Britney Spears' Toxic.
I love this shit but I have no fucking idea how to make it I really wish I could make 2000s pop shit like Pharrell Max Martin and Timbaland

>hip hop without 808s - see injury reserve new album.
why do you think this and why do you think the new Injury Reserve had no 808s

covers are for losers

>how to not trap
UGH DEMMY STOP
throw out all your shitty samples and start from square one. be Pharell

I have too much shit to sort through
And what's the alternative to trap samples? Drum machine samples? Boombap samples? I have those. But different samples don't make a huge difference when you're making the same sort of drum patterns.

Why Phrygian? Dorian is best minor mode and Lydian is best major mode.

Make that weird low stretching sound that packaging tape makes when you pull a long piece loose.

>I have too much shit to sort through
i'm only half joking when i say to literally throw it all out
I suspect that you only have the trash you found on reddit and haven't been incredibly selective in what you keep

do not not touch samples if you're not making trap. There are

How about change falling onto a hard surface? Or a jaw harp?

>do not not touch samples if you're not making trap.
What does this even mean?

>change falling onto a hard surface?
that's a good one, i've got sounds in that area already

Yea Forums, honestly, at what point is audio distortion too much? Or is it ever acceptable at all/in any other genre other than "SoundCloud rap," such as in rock?

This is 20 seconds long. Please tell me if this is just simply over the top or if it "works" considering the genre.

instaud.io/3Jl5

Attached: 1490569689912.jpg (445x615, 58K)

can't tell if you're sidechaining or have too little headroom and you get pseudo ducking when the kick hits master compression or something

i think that's just right distortion wise, maybe sounds like a tad much with the intro cymbals though

>can't tell if you're sidechaining or have too little headroom and you get pseudo ducking when the

Fuck, ok. I didn't mix this and don't know anything *about mixing. Here's basically what went on. I arranged all the instrumentation in my DAW. The guitarist sent me his tracks with minimal distortion on his amps. I then used a plugin to create more. I then sent those audio files to someone to mix them and what you heard is a sample of the song. Now, perhaps if I just sent him the raw, unaltered guitar tracks that were sent to me by the guitarist, there wouldn't be as much audio distortion- but the more & more I listen to it, I'm like, "... I think I kinda like this. I think it kinda works for the song..."

> kick hits master compression or something
ok, you're talking about drums there, right?

> i think that's just right distortion wise, maybe sounds like a tad much with the intro cymbals though
Ok cool, this makes me happy to read.

Thank you very, very much for your reply & input, no lie.

no problem man, sounds like a good song so far

what i meant was that the entire song seems to "suck in" a little bit every time the kick hits, though it's not totally jarring and maybe other people don't notice it.
When you've got compression/limiting on the master and set it to what sounds right, sometimes you may overlook the impact of a few transients or bass heavy moments (so usually the kick). that problem is solved by lowering/eq'ing/compressing or otherwise reducing the impact of the culprit, or raising the threshold of compression or lowering the release time of it

Ok cool, cool. This sounds like excellent & valuable advice that, well, I'll basically just be copying & pasting to my mixer friend haha.
Hope you have a nice Memorial Day, friend.

Are you even a producer, composer, or musician if you don't have a favorite:

>Chord
>Oscillator Waveform
>Mode

I personally love Cmadd9, the sine wave, and the C Dorian mode.

What about you guys?

u 2 bb

why would you even post this

>E maj 7
>Square
>I'm classically trained and don't believe in modes.
I do like 9 chords and sine waves though -- that would be a close second in my book.
>why would you even post this
He's trying to spark conversation and have some fun, phaze. It's what people do. :3

I don't know. I just always like hearing what favorites people have. It's always interesting to me to hear what people like and what is prominent in their mind. It didn't come off as elitist, did it? I apologize if it did. I was just being fake smug.

>covers are for losers
Enjoy making subpar music for the rest of your life because you're too much of a sheltered snob to study other's music

EMaj7 is nice. I love the major and minor 7th chords, but I am not a big fan of dominant 7th chords. Square wave is second best wave.

>I apologize if it did. I was just being fake smug.
You're good -- that guy and another one take things a bit too literally due to a touch of the 'tisms. They're cool though. One absolutely knows his shit (the one you replied to) and the other one is pretty entertaining in a trainwreck sort of way.

>He's trying to spark conversation
it's low tier bait what are you talking about

... or not
okay sorry bb. first sentence definitely came off smug

any minor sus4, wavetables/fm>, no favorite mode

you totally should study others' music but making a bunch of covers forever is pretty lame

>the 'tisms
i get mixed up with p_____ way too often :(
>trainwreck
i've been sobered up for like two years and still get called out like this what the fuck

>>trainwreck
misread ignore last line pls

Now you've piqued my interest...
I'll ignore it though since minor sus4's are nice.

was about to give up and it just started to sound a little coinish :^)
... but i'll try again later, it's far off

instaud.io/3JlK

it's not an interesting story, I was just a piece of shit alcoholic and now i'm just a piece of shit

>I suspect that you only have the trash you found on reddit and haven't been incredibly selective in what you keep
Yeah.
>just don't make the same patterns dude
>i don't know what the fuck to tell you if you already know what's wrong and just do it anyway
I get caught up because I'm trying to make hip-hop and I want my drums to sound like hip-hop patterns. Every genre has base rules. In hip-hop its kick on 1 and 3 snare on 2 and 4. In trap its kick on 1 and 4 and snare on 3 and 7, but that's just because its in double time, right? so if you put a kick on 1 and 3 and a snare on 2 and 4 at a tempo lower than 100 and add a 2 step hihat pattern its going to sound like trap.

I know the sensible thing to do would be to just stop using 2 step hihats altogether because they're a cop out and a huge pillar of the trap sound, but at this point beats sound so empty without them and despite what I say and think, I do genuinely love the sound of hi-hats, maybe I should try using them in more interesting and limited ways. Like on A$AP Rocky's first mixtape or Thom Yorke's MF DOOM remix.

It's also really difficult trying to come up with patterns that are unique but still hip-hop, cause even if I started using a kick on 1 and 3 snare on 2 and 4 pattern its still like an assembly line in terms of beatmaking. I don't want to break the rules too much and you can only be different in so many ways.

>In hip-hop its kick on 1 and 3 snare on
blah blah blah
can't think like that dude
make a beat without a snare or hats, completely.
(((IME))) if you're stuck and in an instant just lay down hats because the beat is trash without it, 100% that beat is trash
copy other beats, listen to rock or jazz or some shit. just do *anything* different at this point, make up some dumb challenge for yourself and take it seriously, when you're stagnating and don't do something new you're not going to make something new

>In hip-hop its kick on 1 and 3 snare on 2 and 4
youtube.com/watch?v=2tmPSK-w90o

youtube.com/watch?v=wSGKiadktyE

Start with this kind of thing and then simplify and clean up the sound.

>jaw harp
You mean jew harp?

>Em add6 in the left hand
>really slewy squares
>B lydian hexatonic (4th degree a shit)

This is the single best thing I read all day, Im on the floor.
In case anyone is under the impression this b8
>nope, this is exactly the truth, follow these guidelines and you'll spend so much money on a degree. Take it from me, it's absolutely worth the price tag and it's better if you in fresh. It's easier to teach a person how to properly music with instruments when they can start.
>t. Doctor

Is sampling safe from copyright perspective?
Can I sample a small part from any song while completely transforming it in the process?

why

from a copy right perspective? no lol
you're not getting caught if it's unrecognizable though so who cares

D-bol did I ever tell you to look for MG The Future? It might be a hard thing for you cause most of his videos worth watching are over an hour but I think his info is just the kind of thing you need.

instaud.io/3Jm3

fishtime?
>instaud.io/3Jhg
I thought the transition sounded perfectly smooth desu.

it works, but try different reverbs or something the mix sounds strange to me.

Attached: Ponyo-PonyoFish 2.png (661x661, 422K)

even if I sample like 6 seconds of melody from a 30 year old song?
mainstream hip hop producers sample all the do they not?

Because just because you get uncomfortable about an object being named after an ethnicity doesn't mean the name of the instrument should be changed.

>it works, but try different reverbs or something the mix sounds strange to me.

Ok cool. Will advise & thanks/appreciate much. But ultimately though, you don't think the guitars sound like, too/TOO distorted to the point where there's obvious audio distortion? I mean, there IS, isn't there, but is that such a bad thing? I feel like it kinda helps compliment the song's personality.

Attached: 034_zps9c83ec81.jpg (640x480, 82K)

what the fuck are you doing on /prod/ richard

Rn It's distorted but without enough meaningful 'color". It's like meshy cardboard or something.

You need a more interesting distortion sound, and better reverb. It's not the intensity that's the problem but the tooone

nice, reminds me a bit of richard devine. Not a lot of IDM in here it seems (which is my genre too) so feels good to finally hear some

lol my dad doesn't even use Yea Forums

>make a beat without a snare or hats, completely.
I mean, even without a using a snare or a kick, I just put a different sound in the same place where those would be.

I can't really follow this but the pattern is sampled. Is the point that I'm thinking about it too strictly because sampled breaks don't follow hip-hop "rules"? I know Kanye was inspired by Portishead for this album and according to some the new Tyler album sounds like trip hop too so maybe I've been following the wrong rules anyway.

>MG The Future
I don't think so but I think I have tried watching one of his videos once. I take it that I should try again. Thank you.

>IDM

youtube.com/watch?v=PHWLDBq49So

Please don't link me trash again.

>start working on a project
>damn sounds pretty good
>next day
>even better
>damn I think I'm actually getting the hang of it
>listen to other people's music
>jesus I'm so fucking shit at producing
>trash the song
>never release anything

every time

>not finishing songs so that you're always improving
>not posting links to get feedback so you can figure out why your music sounds worse than other peoples'

BIG baka

ok cool & appreciate the feedback, mate.

instaud.io/3Jmp
Just a couple of ideas that I think have some potential. Just tell me how shit it is and is it worth exploring further
Meant for rap vocals

sounds corny, you're probably new and you do have potential so just keep going

thanks, I absolutely will
melodies and variety are the bane of my existence right now

Use the pentatonic scale of whatever key you're in for melody/rift generation

back to fucking winging it I guess

instaud.io/3JmG

>This sounds corny
>And you'll never even be this good
Gotta love it.

I like the melodybut the notes at 0:28, 0:40, 1:00 and 1:32 are kinda weird. On one hand they don't harmonize that well IMO but on the other they give off a kinda melancholic melancholic feeling.
Guitar is pretty boomy at the start, maybe high pass it?
Snares could use some velocity tweaking, especially at the places when they hit double/consecutively.
Also could try to mix up the timing of the guitar chords changing after the drop, gets a little too stale after a while.

I don’t even have constructive criticism for you my guy. That shit is cool. Reminds me of cashmere cat

guys i cant stop making trap how do i stop

Anyone else having trouble posting?

Attached: why.jpg (628x478, 40K)

omg stop spamming asshole

oh in that case why not just make the bass come in with the drop instead of starting the track with it right away?

Didn't want the intro to sound too thin but it might just be better to move it over

My friend has an amazing voice and I’m trying to convince him of this fact. I asked him to record himself singing so I could sample it in a beat and he sends me a voice memo of him casually singing Rain Song while lying down in his bed sick with strep throat and still sounded fucking angelic. What the fuck is it with people that are supremely talented but can’t believe in themselves worth a shit? He’s also basically a piano prodigy, I’ve been taking lessons for most of my life and he can improvise better than me. I don’t know what the point of this post is, sorry for the blog, i really want to help my friend realize how great he is and i want to put him on a track kek. It also sucks because I’m extremelt jealous that he make sure me look like a talentless hack. Anyone else know this feel?

Attached: B483F365-E1D6-4E9C-8D06-1AA1F7A3DE68.png (620x640, 260K)

of himself* extremely* makes me look like a*

post his singing

Magnus?

Do you guys think my singing voice is weird?
WARNING: hardcore cringe
instaud.io/3JnC

first part is obviously exaggerated but I still sound like a faggot in the second part
I'm 19

sounds alright
keep practising

>I'm 19

not weird, just a bit weak and self conscious lol. practice and you'd probably be good homie

tryin to get all this synth to fit together how does it sound?

instaud.io/3JnN

Thank you, I will

because it's the trap mode simple as

synth volume is kinda low yuh
up it and im gonna blow ya
really don't know how to rate ya
why are there no 808s yuh

I'd also make the snare a bit louder

Actually nevermind, on subsequent listens the melody volume is fine
sorry I spent like 5 minutes writing that shit so I had to post it

Is it true that Steinberg HALion is reaper-free?

thanks, one of the synth was def a little quiet, the bass is an 808 eq'd to hell but i put some distortion on it so hopefully its easier to hear

instaud.io/3Joa

>>Chord
USB Type C

>>Oscillator Waveform
Modern Talking

>>Mode
Sicko

Pretty cool.
What's that granular-sounding sound that gets almost "growly" at 0:25?

quality meme

yeah, that's much better

How is Mad-Professor-style dub music even produced? Do dub producers always have access to the original stems of the reggae song they are remixing? Do they sample and eq the living shit out of their source material? Do they record their own instruments?
I know that most modern dub uses Midi and VSTs but old-school artists like Scientist and King Tubby are a mystery to me

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 125K)

whats your favorite interval

redpill me on improving?

youtube tutorials? remakes? or just time and experience?

>youtube tutorials? remakes? time and experience?
yes

What stage are you at?

You don't have a vision

Could I get some feedback on this Kanye inspired beat/song I made?

clyp.it/khjpecvq?token=2df855377d0b3639b785390bda07d659

Damn, this is a nice cloudy beat.

Me, personally, I would turn the snares just a lil touch lower.

Wow I like it. Really mean and ugly, but the sax at the end is indeed a bit cheesy, should switch it out to a better sounding sax.

this is why you use reference tracks as soon as you got your idea down

Same

wdym sir

It doesn't seem to me like you know which music you want to work on. If you have a concept for an album or an EP the rest falls into place. You compose smaller ideas then you arrange them then you record then you mix. It's never any different, you just need a goal to work towards.

ah thanks brother

>If you have a concept for an album or an EP the rest falls into place
Damn, I wish it was true

It is though

How do you arrange before recording, do you travel time?

Is this a real question?

yes what are you recording before arranging?

You can record a bunch of small sounds and ideas, then put them together in a song like you're sampling another song (or using a sample pack or something).
It's really common in genres where sound design is the core of the song, so producers sample their noises, then arrange them together into an actual song.
This can be a workflow for other more normal genres as well, especially those based around loops. You make a little phrase, sample it as a loop, then do the same with a bunch of dfferent ideas, and when you're done, put them together.

I think it's a shitty workflow so I never use it, but I'm pretty sure that it's what meant.

>If you have a concept for an album or an EP the rest falls into place.

If that was the case, a prod gen wouldn't exist

You can arrange the patterns, structure and general ideas about the flow of the song on paper before recording. I never record until I've got everything set in stone. It's a lot easier to choose the correct sounds and you don't get caught up in something half baked that you're invested into now.

You mean the sections of your song?

Sections but also chords, melodies and basslines for each part. If I don't have something specific in mind yet I write the basic components down and add some ideas for embellishments that I want to revisit later before I forget them. This can also be useful if you want to improvise over something in addition later on. Moreover I always write notes about any other ideas about the track on the back of the paper e.g. mood, energy, where in a tracklist it could appear, possible ideas about synthesizing the patches, which samples to use etc. Even if you don't end up using everything you have a nice archive of music draw from and an easy way to distance yourself from some of the tropes that you find yourself falling into more often than not.

Well /prod/ should exist for production questions. To me there can be no production questions if you don't have something to record. That's why I outlined the workflow in that way. It helped me to get started. I know how easy it is to fall into a rut if you aren't focussed on a musical goal. Each part is a foundation that you build on. Bad ideas don't make for good arrangements, bad arrangements don't make for good songs and bad songs don't make for something that is worth spending your time on mixing ideally.

Ah I get it, just seems like a weird workflow to me.

I just record ideas for a 8-bar loop then arrange and add things from there.

this is good for most electronic music, but his workflow works really well for genres where song structure is more 'prominent'

which genre?

normal music :)

Question to the people who frequent /prod/ threads:
Do you guys get/ learn anything from being here?
Do you get any inspiration/ become more productive?
Do you think that these threads are mostly helpful for people how produce electronic beats and the like or does genre/style not really matter?

Everything I ever learned was in the pastebin
no
no

i come here to call people gays and fag :))

>Do you guys get/ learn anything from being here?
Yes, once in a while.

>Do you get any inspiration/ become more productive?
Not too much, but yes.

>Do you think that these threads are mostly helpful for people how produce electronic beats and the like or does genre/style not really matter?
Most people here make electronic or trap, so that's the kind of "expertise you'll get", but some times people who make other genres come here and there can be discussion for those other genres as well.

Thanks

You're welcome user.
Hope your datamining will be fruitful :)

Is there a right workflow? user who talked about having his melodies/chords ready before recording is making me overthink.

The right workflow is the one that works best for you.
We're all wired differently so don't expect that what works for me will also for you.
You have to try several different ones to see what the right one is.

If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. I know some people who just think about a song until they have every detail down at which point they spend a couple hours creating it. I also know some people who just mess around and get inspired by what little 4/8 bar loop they made and expand it into a full song. Do whatever works! Try different styles to find out.

Thoughts on Patreon for making music?

I'm looking to pay up to $2k for the soundtrack for my game and I can't get Mark Morgan. Any of you specialize in the midpoint between ambience and music? Send samples and some way to contact you if so.

Do you have the clout for it?

Do you have enough followers that you could? Are you willing to crank out music that often? Is the amount of pressure worth the little amount of money you'd make (at least at first)? If you have to ask, probably don't do it.

Attached: crying.jpg (680x453, 35K)

Tell us about the game

>download free loops meant for hip-hop producers
>slow them down then pitch shift them to the key you want
>delay and reverb to taste
Done.

Some kind of time and space rift event opens seemingly randomly and sent humans and other things to planet orc. They make fast friends and humans help orcs develop advanced weapons to fight their enemies. But it destroys their world. The game setting is a human-orc alliance to restore the orc world, a procedural world of billions of possible areas, where orcs are stupid and humans keep up a transparent charade (humor aspect) about "technology did this" to deflect blame since they were actually at fault. The generated worlds are desolate and contains hundreds of species. I want something in between music and ambience, like Fallout 2, but a bit more toward the ambience side. Tribal stuff, disembodied voices.

Is this an allegory of some kind?

Attached: (JPEG Image, 259 × 194 pixels).jpg (259x194, 7K)

It's so tiresome

Sounds neat! Best of luck with it. Maybe check who did the soundtrack to other indie games? Michael Kelly comes to mind.
twitter.com/garoadmusic?lang=en

I'm not sure what other kind of answer was expected from that question, Patreon success depends on how many patrons you have, and that is directly related to the number of people who believe that what you do is worth paying for.

I'm starting to believe that someone somewhere must have mentioned that the "music game" is more profitable than begging for crypto on /biz/ and that is where this desperation and this type of person is coming from, with people getting depressed that they're not becoming instantly rich as soon as they shit out their first nonsense loop. Who convinced you that this was even remotely likely? The software and sample pack vendors maybe? The people selling online courses?

Thank you, looking into any suggestions you may have

screen

Attached: sdfdsfdsfdsfs.png (1899x903, 2.39M)

instaud.io/3JuT

Is this a banger?

Attached: stevie_wonder_by_michelvanstaveren.jpg (716x500, 89K)

I tried to post this in a soundcloud thread and was re-directed here. Sorry if I'm spamming here too, but I need some help.

I made some type of shitty techno a few days ago but when I export the track, the bassless sections are still way to big in comparisson with professional tracks.

I just wanted to know what am I doing wrong and how could I fix it? The track above is mine and the one below is a professional track so you know what I mean

Thanks

Attached: shitcunt.png (1236x302, 24K)

Needs more mixing. more vocals, left/right channel mixing, adlibs, but the beat is quite good. Perhaps add more punch in the second half.

it is free but its just a player it doesnt come with any included sounds its for you can use instruments others have made like this crotales instrument

Attached: HSE-Crotales.jpg (902x762, 131K)

Thanks for the fb! Definitely needs to be touched up more. I was just trying to get some ideas down. Got something i can review to return the favor?

Pretty new to /prod/. What is the best resource for learning Ableton?

>just a player
not him but what? that sounds like you get the instrument but no samples
the website says 6 days... i feel like it would be more common knowledge if something that big were "Free"

If you're a complete beginner, tutorials by sites like Lynda or Skillshare are almost always great:
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5559305
or
audioz.download/tutorials/video/142875-download_lynda-ableton-live-10-essential-training-tutorial.html
(click on the peeplink links)

>6 days
my bad, 30

instaud.io/3JvM

did i bork the bass? also i lied about adding more melodic variation because fricking sequencers are tedious and it's 2 minutes long

thanks my guy

better audio quality version here
>instaud.io/3JvU

You're welcome user.
Once you know your way around it, check the pastebin in the OP for more resources.
If you're serious, I highly recommend the Dance Music Manual 4th edition by Rick Snoman. It covers the basics of all the skills you need to learn, and it's much faster than learning them from random resources around the Internet (since they're all in one place and there's no overlap).
After that it's all about getting more advanced in the individual topics, but you'll know how to find your path from there.
Best of luck.

Meme of the day
Worst one yet edition.

Attached: truly a scholar and a gentleman.png (1350x932, 1.79M)

Post cringey Beats your friends, schoolmates, relatives, and others ya know in real life make.

youtube.com/watch?v=mkJnoQwkgBU

I'm working on a deep house bit that's turning out fantastic but it has an extremely obvious Madonna sample. As in 'first few seconds of the tune are the original sample untouched which means it would likely get instantly recognised and flagged on every platform if I were to upload it to SoundCloud or YouTube' obvious.

Any thoughts? Bandcamp only could work right? But that would limit the reach of the tune. Not sure what to do.

ok we are meaning different things there is the halion free player and you are meaning the demo for halion that comes with the samples i guess he could keep doing a new account to try again for 30 more days i bought like 2 year ago maybe i like it

clyp.it/faei4gzp

can i post this pretty cringey jam me and my HS band did?

wait forgot this is prod and that would be pretty offtopic i won't

clyp.it/luipy4gf

Could someone with monitors check my mixing on this dub track for me? I only have my cheap Phillips headphones with me right now.

It's unfinished, the master was done in 30 seconds and will be redone, I'll record some vocals for it when I'm at home and will post again.
clyp.it/luipy4gf

hole fuck the bass is trash at the end.

>finally download serum and massive
it feels like selling out and cheating but I just can't (figure out how to) make anything like what they can do on my own using just stuff like Ableton's operator.

Well, for starters Operator is for FM (and some not too advanced subtractive I guess) and those two are for wavetable, so they're made for two different goals.
And you just got them so obviously you'll get better results with the one you're more experienced with.
Watch some sound design tutorials for them and explore their features for a while. You'll soon understand why they're so popular.

Operator is still good though, so don't think they'll replace it.

>Operator is still good though, so don't think they'll replace it.
SO GET FM8 YEAH

>it feels like selling out and cheating
ableton's synths are incredibly capable of interesting sounds but they'd be annoying as fuck to use in place of bread and butter synths man

i kinda wish there were daws that scan third party vst parameters and have automation values the same as in vst.

Attached: cat.png (1200x600, 1.43M)

does anybody here make/into gabber or hardstyle etc?

i haven't listened to that much but from what i've heard there isn't much in the way of low end and it all seems to be coming from the kick (or is just straight 4 on the floor with the kick)

is that standard procedure or what?

Doesn't Ableton 10 do that?
I don't use it myself, but I thought it did.

Besides singing better, how could I improve my vocal mix?
clyp.it/vmgrm1qy

not sure what your question is honestly

basically is it typical to not have a bass at all and just use the kick for low end

Yessss, could you listen over this?

Is there a use for sidechaining BESIDES compression or gating?

maybe wubs?

filtering, eq .... uh anything that allows it

I know you technically could sidechain a bunch of stuff. I just don't think I've ever heard anything besides compression, unless it was really subtle

Pitch it, filter it, do something to it

there's no one "right" workflow. it's important to have an idea of how other artists approach creating music, but there's no dumb trick that will work every time. instead try approaching a song from different angles until you find one that works. maybe start with a loop you like, start with designing a sound, start with a melody, whatever inspires you to keep moving.

Am69. It has a tritone AND minor 2nd

Sawtooth

Dorian, I like to exploit the tritone between the 3rd and 6th in funky basslines

You already mentioned gating, and that was quite prevalent in the early days of trance music where people would use a hihat pattern to trigger a gate on a synth pad. For other uses you'd have to think of why sidechaining is called that, and what kind of devices actually have a sidechain circuit, so you'd be looking at envelope followers, gates, compressors and expanders mostly.

Thank you

I'm a total newb still

No worries user, it's probably also worth looking at what the more recent uses of the word "sidechaining" are leaning towards, where software (especially in programs like Reason) has allowed people to use an audio source to control parameters on just about any device, also if you break down what a simple vocoder does it's basically a bank of narrow filters with the gain of each controlled by its own sidechain or envelope follower which reacts to changes in voltage in a corresponding filter band at the input.

>trance music where people would use a hihat pattern to trigger a gate on a synth pad
Does the Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman have useful tidbits like this? I've been ignoring it in favor of Schoenberg et al.

clyp.it/dno5iegw

How's the production on this?

sammy/10

Dunno user, hopefully someone else can chime in to help you - a lot of that kinda stuff is irrelevant now as I've mentioned with modern software so I'm unsure if it would get any mention in a book if it concentrates on modern techniques, it's more a historical thing and you'd maybe get more of those from old Sound-On-Sound archives. If you have any specific questions and I'm aware of them I could probably point you at more info.

If I ever make it, I'll give prod a shoutout. You guys don't know how much I love you.

Right now I'm just kind of looking for a general overview of everything regarding the production and sound side of things since I already have a music background.
I found a link to the third edition of the Dance Music Manual if anyone is interested:
mediafire.com/file/9pgw0qm87wmn66m/
Still looking for the 4th...

is that good or bad?

Yes, it has a whole section about different genres and what producers do to make them.
Give me a second and I'll upload it.

4th edition i just uploaded
www93.zippyshare.com/v/oJ9peOtS/file.html

instaud.io/3JAL
how is the mix, arrangement, and vibe?

For those who cannot access the Zippyshare link that user kindly provided, here's the 4th edition, as well as the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets series in magazine format:
we [DOT] tl/t-dqCanqI6Zn

Nice work user, thanks.

Thank you so much! I downloaded it right away and got sucked into and had to force myself to stop reading for now.

Attached: dmm.jpg (582x85, 30K)

You're welcome.

Another recruit for the Dance Music Manual cult.
Now it's your formal duty to shill the book at every chance you get.

>mfw

Attached: not the advice you want but the advice you need.png (907x1286, 2.61M)

that's the first decent one in like a week lol

where is everybody? :(

i keep watching tutorials for things i already know

but why

i think im retarded

my understanding is the workflow was very similar to 90s hip hop. Tape sample chops. Copious usage of effects. Tape delay and spring reverb are one of the most major effects in the genre. The Fisher SpaceExpander (a spring reverb designed for fucking car stereos LOL) was a favorite of king tubby. It was a ghetto tube amplified spring verb. The Roland Space echos and other tape delays of the era were big too.

The waves H-delay does a pretty good job of emulating tape delay. You want your tape delay to have those cool pitch artifacts as you sweep around with the delay time, like a real device would I guess a lot of digital delays have that feature. Altiverb has a lot of oddball spring reverb impulses, but desu its hard to get a authentic spring sound with a impulse.

Attached: fisher space expander.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

it's okay just follow my advice and you'll make it

not him but
>SpaceExpander
I always thought like 99% of dudes were on the space echo at that time, weird

following up just to throw in that even though it's not *cooool* in comparison to all the vsts out there but imo ableton's ping pong delay feedbacks pretty nicely for dub stuff

uhe has a spring reverb called twangstrom maybe it is good but i havent tried it

I think the only big space expander fan was King Tubby. So you're not wrong.

How hard is it to come up with a concept? Don't you want to make music that doesn't already exist? Why are you even here

Yeah I've heard that ableton's delay, when automated will produce quite realistic tape delay-esque pitch stuff

not him but you're an unreasonable ass
he's saying that just having an idea doesn't make it easy to follow through with
... and not everybody wants to be super original

>right click ping pong
>repitch mode
aw yisss
went too long without knowing it had different modes lol
simple delay, however, is fucking useless (:

10.1 will add ping pong mode to the simple delay

other ableton shit will do this too like the glue compressor and eqs reverb and chorus maybe more but my computer is fucked and i dont have anything installled to check

im going to kill myself if i dont get vocal production down

if you dont get vocal production down, ill kill your whole family

It really is that easy.

instaud.io/3JCt

how the fuck did I just find out about the SOPHIE sample pack

tbqh i rip off a fuck load of sophie sounds but i never use that pack at all, there are like 5 sounds that are like "hey sophie" and the rest are just on par with other "weird" sample packs

theyre literally her sounds though

she only gave us the shitty ones >:(
idk man it's cool i'm just an entitled fucker who wants her rubber sounds in isolation

clyp.it/gu3inimr

WHats the prob I'm here to help

What is the rubber sound meme. Can you give an example of it? How hard could it be?

some here
youtube.com/watch?v=RBGYQnjxMmI
the timbre is kinda??? on youtube.com/watch?v=WyX-PRqzV78

>How hard could it be?
it's honestly easy as shit

>it's honestly easy as shit

Attached: 7474689968.png (808x805, 704K)

Renoise does that, it'd be strange if less niche DAWs don't

How the fuck do you adapt 174bpm melodies to 128bpm?

Turn down the tempo

clyp.it/pyt1h54u

what do you think about the production on this?

Working on another track besides . What do you guys think should go in the first section of this audio? Like what kind of melodic instrument? Or no melody?
instaud.io/3JE4

>clyp.it/pyt1h54u
That's fun a cute! Sometimes it felt like the vocals favored my left ear, which I personally don't like, but if that's what you're going for, then do it. Or maybe I'm crazy.

>clyp.it/pyt1h54u
I would prefer if the vocals were centered

I love it user. Artistically idk what you were going for exactly but I wouldn't change a thing.

You guys are tripping me out, I didn't hear it being on the left before, but now i can, but i've gone through it and there's no reason why it should be.

I think I may have figured out the problem. Do the vox sound more centered in this?
clyp.it/foc0tpco

I can’t listen to the updated clip right now, but in certain situations something like a limiter or a compressor could be causing it

Did you try Sawtooth LFOs modulating various parameters (pitch, volume, etc) at once with their rate modulated to go from fast to extremely fast? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

I have Studio One, but sadly it doesn't have this.

instaud.io/3JFf

I'm not even sure how I feel about this

Feel free to make it and show us how easy it is.

The way I hear it you have a lot of beautiful tensions in here, but the tensions aren't released into a stable place so they aren't satisfying.

Unironically what I'm doing
I have a soft spot for the cheesy synths and raw drums

imo ur fucked u gotta straight up reinterpret it for the lower tempo

today i will lazypost
instaud.io/3JKl

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Touching up . Could I get some feedback on it? What could use work with this version?

instaud.io/3JKs

>clyp.it/foc0tpco
Sounds better! Nice.

instaud.io/3JLf
>Cinematic DnB

What's your thoughts?

that's pretty good, the drop section should sound aggressive

*more aggressive

dios mio

Attached: elgoblino.png (1920x1080, 2M)

Meme of the day
Not really relevant anymore edition

Attached: i know more about his life than i do about mine.png (640x1077, 1.68M)

I think /gg/ didn't like my song. Maybe you guys will.
instaud.io/3JMZ

Attached: That Monkey Stole My Pizza.jpg (1409x565, 100K)

clyp.it/cy255c1b

posted this the other day, got some good feedback, made some changes, think it sound a lot better now.

What do you think?

sammy, remove all the compressors and start over
uninstall all compression plugins from your system for at 9 months
this pumping and distortion is getting out of hands

ear rape sine waves
needs more sidechain desu

>clyp.it/foc0tpco
Thanks buddy!
This is fucking awesome, looking forward to your album

How do I make them less rapey?

>instaud.io/3JMZ
what is this, a drum track for ants?

help
instaud.io/3JNT

sure give me a sec I'll make a video.

>instaud.io/3JNT
Absolute cancer, stop making music forever

what made it so bad

I want an orchestral arrangement of this

>2012 reddit memes

lol why would you post that in /gg/, they don't even write songs

and yyyyyyeah i hear what you're going for but you've got to learn to mix, those drums are quiet as shit, that's not how you do this style, shit's just lowpassed

Sammy is not half as good as this guy

Friend let me borrow a tube amp, currently running the output of a drum machine through it, but the kick is drowning out a lot of the other percussion hits. I’m new to using a tube amp like this, would a better practice be only sending the kick to the tube amp and leaving the other percussion unprocessed? Or would that kill the pumping/pulsing that the tube amp creates. Or should I not be using a tube amp for this at all?

Example of the overly crunchy drums:
clyp.it/vqtkmaru

>Or should I not be using a tube amp for this at all?
holy fuck i would be pissed if i was your friend lmao

amps aren't meant for line level signals first of all (gotta be safe) and not meant for bass, which will eventually break it

i mean you should be fine but that's really not something you do for extended periods, especially with other peoples shit.... sounds sick though dude

>not meant for bass, which will eventually break it
Friend the problem is a lot of cheaper foreign made speaks can't handle the bass not the amps. When the bass gutiar was first created most players played them through normal guitar amps.

Also, guitar players chain amps together all the time for more fuzz. IT's where the term a wall of amps comes from. Amps being stacked on top of each other and the speaker out of one being plugged into the input of the next.

lol i'm aware it's the speaker, not technically the amp. Slip of the guitarist in me just referring to the whole thing as an amp

Just because people do it doesn't make it safe or okay to do with your friends shit

Thanks for the tips, didn’t know overloading the tube amp could hurt it. I guess I can go back to processing my drum machine in ableton.

Thankfully this is a cheap tube amp anyway, and the only reason I’m borrowing it is because my friend got a much better one.

I dunno, where do I start?
The hyper-annoying snare, the horrendous melody (the harmonic minor scale doesn't lend itself very well to electronic music and you're using it wrong but that's an entirely different rant) the cancerous, boring and repetitive chord progression, terrible mixing and mastering, atrocious sound design and all the other adjectives.

Learn some basic functional theory and synthesis and keep posting here so I can tell you that you suck until you don't.

We're still waiting

>dude just use fast lfos instant rubber xD
fuck man it as so simple all along

never gonna happen

YouTube knows what you don't
youtu.be/GqLze-rC04Y
youtu.be/5rpZ-OIdCF8

meant

that monkey stole my pizza

that is absolutely not what anybody is talking about

I like it, turn up the drums just a little though

youtube.com/watch?v=r-rvnybT47I
wich one of you did this??

>not synthesizing your own rubber bands
low key it really annoys me that people find that kind of shit impressive, resampling in that style is simple if you're not completely incompetent

>those drums are quiet as shit, that's not how you do this style, shit's just lowpassed
Okay I'll try that. I thought about that but it sounded kind of empty without the low end and with the bass it was too aggressive so I figured I'd just make it sound distant.

>without the low end
low passe means cutting highs
distant sounds lose their highs more quickly. also reverb

oh woops lol. I'm working off half of Tom Cosm's Ableton tutorial that I watched a couple weeks ago.
I tried to put some reverb on a couple things but I couldn't get it to sound reverby. Back to the tutorial.

It's me.

What did you use to make that?
I am getting into Prod and I thought making trap beats would be a good way to learn how to tinker with the DAWs

i need to be inspired somebody lend me some inspiration

Depeche mode always makes me excited to try something.
Imagine what they might have written if they took their writing attitude to modern tech.

new thread

Try this technique. I think this is how that family of sounds is produced. I'm not an avid sophie listener but I recall hearing a few like this in the few tunes I have heard.
Any specific ones you are after?
youtu.be/jkVTOjNOvxw