/Prod/ - Music Production

Gay Edition

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last Thread:

Attached: somefags.jpg (480x271, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hvaOu5kCFgU
instaud.io/3IRi
instaud.io/3IUe
clyp.it/gtgy2swp
youtube.com/watch?v=CGjn9SGizIQ
instaud.io/3IWE
instaud.io/3IYI
instaud.io/3IYL
clyp.it/zwrcb0bw
clyp.it/w22xkjda
instaud.io/3IQ1
instaud.io/3J0P
youtube.com/watch?v=VNNBnkMO1SE
youtube.com/watch?v=zNH1deRpa44
youtube.com/watch?v=RaCodgL9cvk
youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8dSs0IZ0M
youtube.com/watch?v=V8fwWZD159k
instaud.io/3J1y
instaud.io/3J1R
instaud.io/3J1S
instaud.io/3Ief
youtube.com/watch?v=OMnj7bOY4E0
clyp.it/wtdmttop#
clyp.it/wdypd1ve
vocaroo.com/i/s1NtZN2Ksk7w
youtube.com/watch?v=v3wwHcBqCAE&list=PLa42IQisRdEVXwimZljx8qeZHe4YMkpWF&index=20
clyp.it/dqv0e0ui?token=591939c8ae57fbc19513cb19f7eed5af
instaud.io/3J4R
clyp.it/vtpmsjnz
instaud.io/3J5f
instaud.io/3J5o
instaud.io/3J5v
youtube.com/watch?v=9Ty-qFZZPZk
instaud.io/3J6a
instaud.io/3J6v
instaud.io/3J6z
youtu.be/e1BLpoPOwbU?t=135
instaud.io/3J8C
youtube.com/watch?v=py6iHvKbDjs
youtube.com/watch?v=EETSXFI6H-w
instaud.io/3J9m
instaud.io/3J9G
youtu.be/skc6DIxvPbg
youtu.be/8UJLRuIs8mQ
musescore.com/user/7799631/scores/2014001
instaud.io/3Jcj
youtu.be/S0tW3unaq8s
youtube.com/watch?v=8gFA7DUM008
youtube.com/watch?v=UTV-_uksm44
instaud.io/3JeF
instaud.io/3Jf0
image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/mixer_dB.htm
image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/mixer_levelsandmixing.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I just want to make my music speak for itself bro
>I don't need to focus on social media, marketing, or any of that, it's all bullshit
>People will resonate with my sincerity and I'll be successful in a genuine way like
youtube.com/watch?v=hvaOu5kCFgU

The real secret wapon is to work on your image as much as you work on your music, if not more.

Attached: PBF262-Dreamcatcher.png (750x1315, 191K)

happy new prod

used my heaviest plugins to make this for the thread. my pc was crackling so hard at the end. there was no sound, only buzz.

instaud.io/3IRi

>The real secret wapon is to work on your image as much as you work on your music, if not more.
it won't work if your music is shit

Turning on the radio will prove you wrong.
You just need it to sound polished and branding will compensate for every other problem your music has.

turning on the radio won't prove me wrong, you're just misinterpreting (purposefully?) what I'm sayan

I mean that people can become successful even with shit music, if they have good branding and marketing.
Turning on the radio will show those people to you.

my stupid brain cant figure out how to get serum velocity in fl studio so everything isnt hitting at the same level and its making me wanna kill myself

dude...

What?

huh?

I concur.

>instaud.io/3IRi
bretty cool you should rape your pc more often

this is accurate
truth hurts
you can still make it just gunna be harder, work with someone else whos interested in the whole image thing

instaud.io/3IUe

this any good bros?

The trick is to make good music so you can achieve a tiny bit of success, which will allow you to get your foot in the door (by meeting people with connections) and to afford hiring the right professionals that are necessary for you to get to the next level.
Macklemore is the perfect example for this. Was moderately successful for a while but was never big, then when he could afford it, he hired the ADA (distribution company owned by Warner) to promote his catchy song everywhere and got huge.
That same song wouldn't have gotten that big without the ADA.

That is, if you don't make such crazy good music that a big label signs you and does it for you, or you're already rich enough to hire everyone from the get go, but if you're here this will likely not apply.

i only came here to tell people they can make it
i make bangers lad
you'll see... YOU'LL ALL SEE

We're all gonna make it brah.

damn straight

Attached: mfw.jpg (1280x720, 51K)

Well, except him lol.

nigga suk ya mum he gave hope and aspiration to thousands of people regardless of what happened to him he helped those around him and thats more than enough to say he fkin made it
also he was ripped

Yeah, he was ripped in the ass by Sharky lmao.

Branding designer by day here, you are incredibly wrong.

maybe
but fuck you still
say that to my face not online see what happens

Please tell us about what you do.
Do you work with musicians?
What are some free/cheap ways we can improve our branding as amateur bedroom procucers (other than the usual social media stuff)?
And what are things that everyone thinks are effective but actually aren't?

I'm just joking dude.
I too got into /fit/ from him, which would've probably never happened without him.
Even in his death he's still a fuarking legend.

Hey guys, wondering what brand of mics you'd suggest for recording guitar and vocals at the same time...

I already have a condenser but would prefer to isolate the guitar and the vocals.

Also dynamic mic for practise, a stand+8 quid gear4music dynamic voice mic should do?

How can I pirate Redux and other software on GNU/Linux? Won't all the torrents be for Windows and Mac?

I don't know about Redux, but I can lead you to a cool alternative called Roblox.

But seriously, piracy is pretty hard for Linux.
Audionews has some stuff.

Yeh yeh nigguah ah
So we're surrounded
Didn't watch these niggas
Now we got pounded
So we're surrounded
Draw my blade from the sheath
Three goblins and countin'
This is ain't no game nigga
nah nah nah nah
Crawling dungeons for
Clout and fame nigga
nah nah nah nah
Fuck these goblin niggaz
Fuck these elf niggaz
Fuck these beat niggaz
This is dungeon trap
Fuck these goblin niggaz
Fuck these elf niggaz
Fuck these beat niggaz
This is dungeon trap

clyp.it/gtgy2swp any feedback?

Nope, you just misunderstand me deliberately

Explain yourself then.

If the music is shit how is your branding going to help it? The only problem here is what you define as shit. I don't know - what do you infer when I say shit music?

>If the music is shit how is your branding going to help it?
Because a lot of people don't listen to music because it's good, but because t's presented to them.
Maybe Yea Forumstants pursue other music, but most people don't really care about it, and a ton of people even believe that if an artist isn't successful then he's not as good as one who is.
A lot of popular music is complete garbage but is still popular because if it's above a (pretty low) bar, all it needs is to be put in front of people who will consume it because they don't know any better.

>The only problem here is what you define as shit. I don't know - what do you infer when I say shit music?
Something that isn't good.
Meaning that it has some pretty big faults of various kinds.
Usually it's well mixed and mastered because it's the easiest thing to achieve by throwing money at it (even if you don't have any taste, a good engineer can do a pretty objective job and get great results, as opposed to being like Unkle Adams and waste money on expensive producers that suck because he can't discern good from bad), but the rest can be very bad.
See all the music made by famous people who aren't musicians (like actors, reality show participants, etc.) or music that has a younger audience (like trap or pop for little girls). Some of it is good, but a lot of it has very little artistic value and is popular on image alone.
Thhe first song that comes to mind is the perfect mix of the two groups (trappeers and non-musicians):
youtube.com/watch?v=CGjn9SGizIQ

Sure, I won't say good music doesn't help, but it's not a strict requirement, as marketing still has enough influence to bring a mediocre song or artist to undeserved levels of success.

yuh

yuh

that track you posted is not what I mean by 'shit'. it's a proper track. it might not have any artistic value but it's completely marketable, hence the confusion

for shit music just browse around /prod/ (sorry dudes)

That's the "pretty low bar" he's talking about.

We're differing on our definition of shit then.
What I mean is something that isn't good music and wouldn't be popular without having a brand attached.

In a hypothetical world where musicians were all anonymous and people had no way to distinguish the artists and it all came from the same place (so no radio pushing music or anything like that), music would become popular based on its quality alone.
In such world music like in the link wouldn't last a day, simply because it's not good music.
If the song's only strength is that it's marketable, then without marketing it wouldn't go anywhere.

heres a more finished beat neway

instaud.io/3IWE

i could tell by the spectrogram that it's shit

ok

sorry...

its okay

I woke up at 8 am with the intention of sketching out a song or at least part of a song and now here it is, almost 1pm, and all I've done is sit on Yea Forums while pressing f5. Fuck this addiction.

gotta multitask bruh

I think the issue is that I need to hunch over my laptop to produce while I can sit back and be comfy if all I'm doing is shit posting.
I'm starting to think a wireless keyboard and mouse would be a worthwhile investment.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that notion, and simultaneously have absolutely zero means to argue it.
Sometimes you're born a freak and everything just makes sense. Most likely you're not that level of genius anyway, so it's a moot argument nonetheless.
>Learn photoshop, when you can't come up with a unique style, go minimal. Never fails.

That's your problem- songs come to you while you're inspired. Keep a notepad with you and piece the song together over time rather than trying to just generate a masterpiece out of nothing

I'd love to come home to a blonde nympho with a rich dad every night, but that is just as much a fantasy as what you want bro.

Unless this is an electric guitar, in which all I have to say is; wew

Two monitors
One is arrange view, other is mixer
I cant go back, its too solid a workflow of just looking over to the other screen to see my levels

Thats what the drugs and ego are for

That sounds very nice. I have two monitors too, but I'm still trying to get a feel for what I like where. For now I'm going with the arrange window on my monitor and the rack view on my laptop screen.
Another issue of mine is that I'm sitting on a sofa with my laptop on a coffee table. One day I will get a decent office chair and move to a desk. One day.

>Sometimes you're born a freak and everything just makes sense. Most likely you're not that level of genius anyway, so it's a moot argument nonetheless.
>>Learn photoshop, when you can't come up with a unique style, go minimal. Never fails.
I have no idea what any of this means.

So why does nobody create guitar sound?

Meme of the day

Attached: getting multiplier to agree with him was the biggest power move prod had ever seen.png (680x487, 566K)

But I youtube'd it and its somewhat possible...

How well can a DAW replace acoustic drums?
Can you program drums that sounds decent in jazz, rock, or metal?

depends
stuff like superior drummer sounds excellent but only as good as you can program it

>rock, or metal?
absolutely
>jazz
kinda

what happened to the new version of ableton on audioz? I downloaded it as soon as it came up but now it's gone

Attached: IMG_1214.jpg (500x500, 26K)

does anyone enjoy real music?

instaud.io/3IYI

instaud.io/3IYL

Are there other genres that are more in the 'kinda' category?
I'm not necessarily making jazz, rock, and metal, I'm just trying to figure out what the limitations are.

skramz

woah so musically rich!

it's not daw dependent it's vst dependent
the answer is very well.

>real music?
i do but this is just a long loop homie

sounds like improv honestly, not every phrase there sounded purposeful

>the limitations
your options for anything that is supposed to sound less than stellar are quite limited/expensive. i've only skimmed the options but it seems to me like 99% of shit you find is supposed to be "radio ready" and you're pretty much just shit out of luck if you want to sound raw and don't care for the few options there are.

It wasn't a release by a warez team.
It was just someone uploading it.

In the comments someone posted a link to the official download from Ableton's servers, so it was probably just the original cracked installer from there.
I'd wait for the R2R release desu.

Actually don't install 10.1.0 because it's more likely to have bugs and issues.
Wait a few days and check the /r/Ableton subreddit to see if people are having problems, and if so, wait for a fix (if they don't, install it).

clyp.it/zwrcb0bw

Does anyone want to sing over my music?

Any other dubstep mans in?

clyp.it/w22xkjda

Can you spray some subtle acoustic guitar on top of it?

bump

instaud.io/3IQ1

Is it too cluttered?

>The real secret wapon is to work on your image as much as you work on your music, if not more.
I can't for the life of me figure out what image is.

Did you a word?

this is barely related to dubstep

figure out what MY image is*

like too many layers? I don't think so at all

You don't figure it out, you create it in the most appealing (to your target audience) way possible.
It's obviously easier to get right if you can base it on your real persona, but you most likely shouldn't just be yourself.

thanks gor the advice but
>check the /r/Ableton subreddit
yikes, reddit is already bad that place was nothing but faggots farming for karma

True, but I don't know of any other place where you can get info that fast (the Ableton Forum is too full of unrelated stuff to sift through) so the only way is to bear the faggotry and get what you need.

Doing good dude, I thought I was gonna get bored with the repeating thing but you did enough other shit to keep it fresh.

Why is it so hard to try and play shit by memory when there are accidentals thrown in? I'm trying to work this out but I have no idea what the chords are supposed to be... although it's been so long since I've heard this theme that I can't really remember what it sounds like beyond this little phrase.
Obviously, I could look it up, but what fun is that. Can anyone here figure it out? Any tips?
I know there is that ear training site where there are different exercises for working on interval and pitch recognition...

Attached: 1234.jpg (880x346, 60K)

I've always wondered if it's possible to induce synesthesia with psychedelics and effectively train perfect pitch via color association.

You kick pattern is boring.

Alright I couldn't tell if I was doing too much during the chorus section or not
I'll probably just have to mix it around more and see if I can bring the bass up louder

Fuck. And the snare/clap is too low. Thank you.

I'm not sure who my target audience is either. I really can't figure out what's appealing to me. I thought my image would be "hip-hop Mac DeMarco" but that doesn't really fit with my sound.

sounds like it's just the groundwork to me. Like a backing track. Needs more imo.

Attached: ba2e060cc446cba3b3c5abc997f13782fe5c84f01934dd03ae467011cb578184.jpg (900x900, 59K)

My first day of using proper orchestral VST library with some good samples.

instaud.io/3J0P

Just a melody reminiscent of this song, I am trying to recreate soundscapes similar to this album:

I am pretty frustrated. I think the orchestral samples are good from my library in terms of quality etc. but I just cannot get to the loudness levels I am aspiring to (even though I know it is a somewhat professional master/mix I am comparing to)

I am so fucking bad at mixing

Not bad. Video is unavailable. Is the harp supposed to be slightly off beat like that? seems like either the flute or the harp need to be quantized

Post a picture of yourself and I'll tell you how you should go with your branding.

black manlet who /depressed/ and likes musicals and shitposting

Are you the guy I asked to post a picture, or you're describing him for me?

we all know it's him

I'm not so sure that would help because it's not like colors would exist as a step function in relation to pitch -- it's the same thing as sound where it's this smooth continuous field of variations in frequency.

First time posting
I'm trying my hardest to get my strings to sound similair to this song but can't get it right any advice?
youtube.com/watch?v=zNH1deRpa44

Also, is there a good enough guitar vst to replace real guitar loops, right now I'm just recording me playing with a microphone and it doesn't sound as good as I want it to and I'm way better on the computer than on the guitar

Attached: 1493277489315.jpg (1024x1536, 313K)

There's some good VSTs out there but all good VSTs take a lot of work to make them sound legit, at least imo. Nothing out of the box sounds real

If you're Demarcus and your goal is to be a producer for other rappers, then you don't really need branding. Just skills and connections.
If you're trying to make it as an actual musical act, first develop your skills, then your sound, then go from there. It's too early now for that.

>get my strings to sound similair to this song
That sound is so affected you might as well just use a wavetable synth.

>Needs more imo.
Like a pad? I get what you mean but I don't want it to be too full. I'm aiming for something more like these:

youtube.com/watch?v=RaCodgL9cvk
youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8dSs0IZ0M
youtube.com/watch?v=V8fwWZD159k

Maybe I'll just start a new track.

Use Kontakt

Maybe not too much if it's meant to be for rap or something. I wasn't sure 100% what you were going for. I'm not big into that so obviously my vision would be much different than yours.

transient shapers have an attack and a sustain knob but they dont work well enough to fixing loss of detail from excess of compression. what cpu-light vst can add detail to my transients?

just passing by to say i'm singing better each day (and getting sloppier and dumber at guitar each day) instaud.io/3J1y

just compress less?

Your hearing is as bad as ever though if you think anything there is even a slight improvement.

shit

compress better instead of looking for a transient shaper to cover up something you fucked up

I'm not going to post a picture of myself, and his description isn't too far off, but shouldn't aesthetic be based off sound and not the other way around?

You're right I probably do think about it too much at this point

Alright. Thanks anyway, user.

why not, my intonation is p good there

I see, I rather try to be good at a VST than the guitar
Yeah that's pretty much what I'm doing but I don't get it quite right
Thanks, will look in to it

What should I know about writing lyrics?

poetry

>but shouldn't aesthetic be based off sound and not the other way around?
Some times it's one and other times it's the other.
It depends on the situation.
But the most important thing is that one should match the other.
You can't make Christian Rock and look like Ol' Dirty Bastard, like you can't make sexy girly pop music and look like pic related (unless it's a novelty thing of course).
Choose something that matches your unchangeable features and your sound (if you can't change the sound to match your image).

Attached: 1o0dul.jpg (538x538, 54K)

>like you can't make sexy girly pop music and look like pic related (unless it's a novelty thing of course).
No, you totally can. You just can't be the face of the project and you need stay behind the scenes... kind of like Wednesday Campanella.

>No, you totally can. You just can't be the face of the project and you need stay behind the scenes... kind of like Wednesday Campanella.
Then it's not your image.
The image is whoever goes on the stage.

It's ya boy back at it again making shitty prog metal, how is my mix this time if anyone can be bothered to listen? (this is a part near the end of this song so the song doesn't actually start or end like this)

instaud.io/3J1R

Uploaded the wrong file, here we go
instaud.io/3J1S

Hey I like it, feel like I never get to see any prog in here. Only thing I can think of compared to records is that the drums probably need to sounds snappier, perhaps more compressed. Maybe more gate on the chugging guitars near the end, you're getting a lot of palm-muting noise after each one. That's about all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm assuming it's missing bass.

I think I heard some of your stuff and I think what I have to say is similar to the last time but there you go
the mix is 5-6k harsh, especially in the crashes and it lacks bass (the instrument), also it's pretty flat, lacking any sense of space (except for the cliche tails on the clean part that are spot on)
I like the songwriting a lot actually, but the mix needs some work, not that it's unbalanced or the choice of sounds is bad, quite in contrary, but the detail work that glues everything together and puts it in a room and makes it enjoyable to listen to especially in the context of genre standards needs work.
pull your reference tracks right into the daw and constantly compare back and forth and try to make it happen, I know it's a tedious piece of shit with busy music like that but I think you got something going there so keep at it

Thanks guys, guess first thing is I need to turn the bass up. I kinda like where the low end is at now but I'll see if I can work on the mid/highs of the bass to make it more audible and not just being a part of the lows.

Nice to hear that you think it sounds balanced and that the sounds work, but yeah now that you say it I can definitely see what you mean about it not being as much "in a space". Do you have any tips on how to go about with that? Try to notch out as much useless frequencies and as possible to clear up the different tracks? Adding slight room simulation to some instruments, for example the guitars? And of course referencing more.

a thing I'd do to create a sense of space is for example a mono/narrow plate on the snare with a focus in the lower mids, then filter out that area in conflicting spots like the guitars a bit to make it audible in busy parts.
also pretty bright early reflections on the cymbals/overheads to push them back, same with guitars but with full range distorted stereo madness like that it's usually really hard to create a room that's not just constant mud, but if you can get enough transients and attack out of the guitar sounds (even if it's just for the reverb feeds) then the reverb has something to "grip on".
delays also work really well if you have leads or melodic elements, especially with instrumental parts all the "ambience" you really notice is often just that bit of (timed) delays on a lead-ish role and some reverb on the snare, that's pratically all you really need to get the feeling of some depth and layers going

Thanks! I'll do some experimenting with that and see where it gets me. I have an ambience/reverb/delay bus set up for leads and stuff (that's what the clean part is going into) but I think it's probably getting clouded by everything else during the busy parts so I'll have to see to that too.

listen to some plini or the instrumental versions of tesseract albums, even if you find it cheesy but that stuff partially works so well because it's full of carefully placed delays giving heft and impact to stuff that stands out of even the busiest parts

I love both of them t b h (really hyped to see tesseract live my first time in a few months) but haven't really listened to them with an analytical ear for the mixes. Will have to do that, cheers.

This is my second attempt at producing and the first one that is successful
I know it's bad but what else do you think?
instaud.io/3Ief

Attached: 1304834570820.jpg (544x400, 17K)

not very musical at all, almost seemingly random beep boops

youtube.com/watch?v=OMnj7bOY4E0
this is a great example for the snare reverb thing
note how it is automated up and down with the loud and soft parts to make sure the snare still sounds "big" in the distorted parts
you can clearly hear the reverb bus coming down after the first loud segment at 1:13
plini has some fucking great sounds and mixing going and it gets better every time

not him, but I always thought reverb on drums was kind of a no-no? Maybe I misread somewhere. Can you elaborate on that?

Took a listen and damn the mix sounds great, definitely see what you mean about the snare automation and the delays in general.

A useful way to relate reverb send level to a drum (or any instrument) level is to use an expander before the send and sidechained to the sound you want to add the send effect to - the expander works like an inverse compressor so it applies less gain reduction the louder a sound gets, and would allow more signal through the send as the instrument gets louder.

Does anyone here have good headphones?

clyp.it/wtdmttop#

reverb is essential to give something an actual impact
in any real life room something that's loud as fuck will always "activate" the room response more than something quiet, that's why you'll always hear some sort of reverb tail following the snare cutting through even the busiest and most distorted parts of modern meal mixes, it just helps a lot that your drums don't sound weak and "transient only"
this applies to most other genres as well, layering as in depth is an important thing and reverb not only represents the volume and room interaction of a sound or instrument, but also the distance to the listener
so if you leave all your drums and percussion elements dry as fuck they all stick to the front of the panorama plane instead of "layering up", of course timbre has to do with this as well but it's mostly a combination of reflections, timbre and being in the "same space" with the appropriate levels

things you don't want to do with drums and reverb:
don't put the kick or any low frequency in a reverb tail unless you love mud
carefully place the panorama and width of your reverb, a snare can use a wide reverb but if some wide instruments come in that shit is gone, so try a more mono one, same with wide as fuck overheads - a wide, reflection-y reverb might be just way too much and might conflict and wash out the stereo information you got from your overhead system
also there's the cheesyness factor, that's probably what you mean with a no-no for drums, of course it's easy to make your shit sound like a cheesy 80ies pop song if you put a bright, fluttery vintage lexicon preset on an 808 kit, just keep it subtle and while a reverb does have the role of forming the character of an instrument/sound it certainly does not if it comes to drums, unless you like that cheese
so keep it natural and at a point where it's more a feeling of space and impact instead of something blatantly audible to most people and it will help your drums in many contexts

Ok thanks. I'm kind of a scrub, so I use things like ValhallaRoom a lot. How do I make a reverb mono? I feel like I always run into the problem in mixes where things start to just become inaudible when mixing, and even though i've learned to clean up things with sends and EQing off the lows of the reverb, I'm still losing things in mix a bit. I don't even have reverb on my drums because I already feel like it's fighting to compete with the rest and it's just gonna drown out more stuff.

I do
I don't like the way the vocals clip repeatedly on the louder parts of the phrases
other than that it's a solid mix, a tad high passed asin there's nothing going on below 70ish hz but it works with the oldschool feel

How do I make this sound better? I think the idea is good, but it just sounds bad.
clyp.it/wdypd1ve

room is great for small spaces and reflections, but also check out vintage verb for some actual tails that you can't really get out of room
valhalla is great shit in general
to control the width just put it on a send instead of in line and slap a pan/spread/width/whatever tool you got available in your daw, there's one for sure

Ok I'm in FL studio. There's stereo enhancer and shaper, and also PanOMatic. Those sound pretty close although I'm unfamiliar with them.

enhancer sounds like what you're looking for as these often have a negative value, narrowing the signal down till mono

like turning stereo separation all the way down to negative? and I'd put this on the reverb send?

what classical song is this from
vocaroo.com/i/s1NtZN2Ksk7w

You'd need to place the enhancer after the reverb in the effect chain so that it can reduce the stereo width of the reverb, placing it in the send path or at any other place before the reverb would mean that the reverb's stereo processing would still be in place untouched.

on the return channel after the reverb

i want to produce a ballad but i cant compose shit

Ironic
I I used my computer's keyboard as an instrument to input the melody, I tried to have a chord progression and a regular rhythm but seems the problem it's me.

>while a reverb does have the role of forming the character of an instrument/sound it certainly does not if it comes to drums
hahahHAHAHAHAHAA

Yeah, I get that a lot.
>t. Freak

How do I dial in this moog sound?
youtube.com/watch?v=v3wwHcBqCAE&list=PLa42IQisRdEVXwimZljx8qeZHe4YMkpWF&index=20
I have free VSTs for the minimood model d, the voyager, and the prodigy.

I'm using the minimoogluxe(polyphonic version of the minimoogva) which for a model d one. The vk-something which is for the voyager and the prodigious for prodigy emulation.

This is a moog sound right?

.... please don't be talking about the bass/tremolo thing
that's a bass guitar.

Use Slayer in FL Studio

i have 2 tracks, track 1 is a lead but i try to make it with a square sub, and its at 110Hz, track 2 is intented sub with a triangle wave and its at 43 Hz, how can i mix them so they dont overlap each other? (newfag)

you got to live that life you speak about

basically you need to prostitute yourself to some jew and then you will make it nothing else will work unfortunately

With the type of technology readily available to the average consumer today, is there really still a need to create music in world class studios? I mean, when you can either do all electronic/hip hop music on your computer or even just entire rock albums with a scarlet interface, can't you make your music sound almost just as good if not identical to that which is done in an actual studio?

Attached: 15ca031b8abafe52da3081ce8fd5ec61.jpg (500x676, 75K)

clyp.it/dqv0e0ui?token=591939c8ae57fbc19513cb19f7eed5af

Nearly finished with this song, need to completely redo the verse vocals. Hows all the rest of it lads?

not found

Woops. Had it as unlisted. Link should work now.

Hm. That's too bad. I'm the head of A&R for Universal and flubs like that are not a good look. I was ready to hand out a 3-record deal + Cochella 2020 appearance deal to some hungry artist on Yea Forums but, since you effed up, sorry.

>almost just as good if not identical to that which is done in an actual studio?
kind of maybe but no

if you're asking this at all i'm assuming you're not aware of the bottlenecks that exist; for the purpose of this question we'd completely ignore extra personnel that's likely to be available if you're going to a studio such as engineers or session musicians etc.

closing the gap in quality is entirely dependent on avoiding any instance of going outside the box (so obviously hip-hop/electronic like you said (and obviously that's a huge part of why kids today are picking that up instead of making rock lol))

if you're 100% in the box, your bottlenecks are basically going to be monitoring and your room (and room again and mic and pre's if you're adding vocals right)though some gearlut might argue that conversion is a huge deal and your scarlett can't compete but pretty much everybody agrees that nowadays t's like a 1% difference lol)

and they're going to have a fuck load more of the famous outboard shit that you're using mere emulations of (again people want to disagree how convincing vsts are but that's a case by case basis so basically you still don't measure up)

the real question is are shitting money or not? there's not a *need* to go to a "world class" studio but if you want to sound world class then you're fucking stupid to think your dinky bedroom studio can measure up.

... but pristine quality is not always everything, people don't give a shit usually; it depends what you're going for.
god damnit i swore i would never reply to this question again

ah fuck

>session musicians
Are you saying I could pay people to play my music so I could finally have a jazz album to my name?

That's alright give it to me instead.

ya no shit r u dumb

if i had the money i would turn it into a game of essentially paying for high quality samples. there are plenty of drummers out there who will play for cheap, that's the most common afaik

It depends what you want to be or what music you want to make. Marilyn Manson wanted to be a rock star and get girls. Making great music wasn't high on the priority list for him. You don't have to be a brand to survive, which can also be a hindrance. There are tonnes of copy cat acts that don't make it though they're trying with the brand image thing, they're too late for their scene. And also if one hits it big, have you developed musically? Are you making the music you want to make and not placating your fans or your label / publicists? Marilyn Manson became a caricature of himself, a has-been trapped in the past because what worked in '97 stopped working in subsequent years.

i am very genuinely thankful for your response, user; no lie. It's informative and has shed some good insight into this question for me.

haha, actual responses to my funny post.

i've written my 6 song EP with session musicians. found them all online. had someone mix & master the album online. Recorded my vocals at home and they all came out great and stuff. Ultimately, I think it's pretty cool how this can be done and I'm very proud of what I made. You can easily do it, too. Just takes a little cash but, not a ton.

genre?

>i am very genuinely thankful for your response
in all the years i've been typing out paragraphs in this god forsaken general this is probably like the second or third time somebody's actually thanked me
no problem user

>Just takes a little cash but, not a ton.
That's awesome; what style was your EP and what kind of instrumentalists did you hire? I'm dreaming about trumpet, trombone, flute, clarinet, bassoon... maybe violin and viola and cello.

That's where technique and skill are important. All the tools of an awesome studio come with a guy who knows his shit. And it is so easy to get things sounding unprofessional, there are many things to get wrong as a bedroom producer, which anyone who listens to music will spot immediately. Technically, yes you can make high quality music with your daw and a scarlett but do you know how, and can you detect and correct the thousands of problems along the way

As long as you have the proper tools (decent monitors, room treatment etc) it’s theoretically possible, but if you’re only competent or worse at mixing and mastering your shit it won’t matter

thanks very much, thanks. eh basically "real" (though I don't like that expression) country music but honestly more just "southern" than anything else. includes organs, harmonica, horns and stuff. Honestly it's extremely easy to find these session musicians and often times when you make contact with one, they always have other musicians they can refer you to for additional instrumentation.

oh good to know lol, yes thanks again.

Not that guy but if you’re near a decent university (or are a student yourself) you can get students to play parts pretty cheaply, maybe ~20 bucks an hour. They may even be able to get you into a treated room to record for free. An old comp teacher of mine even told me that she was able to get the student orchestra to record a quick part for her with some free pizza

You don't happen to live in Tennessee, do you? ;)
Thank you for the advice.
That's a good idea but I'm a geezer now and have been out of school for 8 years now. I do live near a university and an okay music school though.

Ok I found a way to get Serum and wow professional VSTs really do make a huge difference
and I think I've gotten better at mixing
the actual songs still aren't great though

instaud.io/3J4R

>expected ____ got exactly what expected
cool now stop making 1 bar drum loops and make some fookin variations

>You don't happen to live in Tennessee, do you? ;)

no no but a number of the session musicians i've worked with are all based there, obviously lol.

google search query, "hire session musicians online" will likely yield the results you're looking for. I'd exclude the first 4 ad-driven results.

>only competent or worse at mixing and mastering your shit it won’t matter

right, right, agreed. i should have mentioned that in my post that you replied to.
totally agree on that. luckily though, there are enough people online that you can send the files to and stuff that can mix & master pretty damn incredibly.

Attached: 19145863_10158699329245562_1258086618477369874_n.jpg (900x960, 86K)

What if you have a claret instead of a scarlet?

clyp.it/vtpmsjnz

How's the production on this?

>clyp.it/vtpmsjnz
wow. did you mix this yourself?

Way too boomy

> boomy

what does that mean? as in like, boom mic or something?

>google search query, "hire session musicians online"
>$150/hour/person
Just.

lol

Too much bass. Also by the way, the Esses on the vocals are annoying. Either use a de-esser or manually chop the esses and lower their volume.

yep. how do you like it?

yeah, wouldn't mind some clarification on this

I think i'll have to go through it and manually dip the volume of the esses (already more than I have -- most of them are about dipped to about -5db relative to the mainline) Cuz i already have some de-essers on the vox

Yeah, but they also steal the good stuff and publish it as their own

This still sounds like freeware vsts Demarcus to me. I think it's your choice of sounds that makes it sound like halloween rap. This spooky angle might work if you pushed into a more aggressive and serious direction with distortion and noise.

avoid the sponsored links.

it sounds very professionally done for what I'm assuming is independently mixed & mastered.

i suppose that's a risk, lol

>avoid the sponsored links.
No, that was from the school of music near me. Not students, obviously, but I don't want to creep on students.
Mail it to yourself first so you have a dated record of when you made it. Then it's like free publicity if someone tries to play your track off as their own.

wow that's a pretty great compliment. Thanks, man. (it is completely independently recorded, mixed & mastered)

> No, that was from the school of music near me.
oh, oh, true, ok.

i had me some sleep then tried to make my beat less shitty

instaud.io/3J5f

oh yea sure no problem.

yea see like, is what I was talking about in .

To me, who is not exactly an audiophile or even a music nerd (my musical knowledge is confined to the maybe 100 bands I've loved all my life, age 36 now), this sounds very impressively done. Like, I'd compare it to anything on the radio or in a movie or something and it tells me that it's much easier, all things considered, to be able to produce stuff like this than it was, yesteryear. Like, shit, this song and its production probably sounds superior to what could have been produced at Electric Lady in the 70s.

Attached: 2fbb1f3bf7adef7cebdb35a0876effb3.jpg (500x750, 62K)

cant find the uad culture vulture anywhere i might have to resort to buying it with money those bastards

Try out Black Box Analog Design HG-2, Elysia Phil's Cascade and the Decapitator

can I get a r8 lads? not finished but kind of at a wall with what to do with the rest.

post your links and ill r8 yours
mine: instaud.io/3J5o

Offer to buy it with sex instead.

they're 2/4 bars and I don't care enough about these to go through the effort of making variations

>I think it's your choice of sounds that makes it sound like halloween rap.
I mean, yeah. That and I almost always use minor scales. The bells that come in during the chorus just sounded like regular bells before but I put distortion reverb chorus and flanger on them to make them sound like that.

I agree with the dude that said the lows are too powerful, but I disagree about the esses.
Also I think the vocal could be a touch louder, but that may be because everytime the bass or kick hits it's distracting.

yea, i mean, with this track, too: evidence of something that sounds professional studio-made that was actually probably just done in this person's bedroom. pretty neat, i think.

Damn do you really think that? I'm literally working with a gaming headset and nothing else lol. That's a LARGE compliment family.

yeah, I think i'm going to have to play with the bass level a little more. Thanks for the fresh ears, man

Yes like, but then again, I don't have a ton to compare yours too since my favorite bands have only ever been Guns N' Roses and KISS, Iron Maiden; stuff like that. However, a friend of mine has a big YouTube channel where he interviews all these rappers and stuff so through him, i'm mildly exposed to some music like yours (namely 6ix9ine [i liked him when he was free, lol], Lil Peep [... when he was alive], SmokePurpp; that sorta shit) and your stuff doesn't sound any different, quality-wise, from theirs. Like I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Attached: B09xsk_IcAArxOU.jpg (600x600, 36K)

rate my harsh noise

instaud.io/3J5v

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 1.18.22 AM.png (490x595, 655K)

thanks bruv

Damn, how can you be such a boomer when you're only three years older than me? Just playin' .... but for real. Yeah.
>instaud.io/3J5v
Interesting. Felt a little repetitive in the middle though.

Oh well, I think the 3 years makes a big difference because when I was in my single digits/early, early doubles, my first love was metal (plus I had older siblings who listened to it, too) so 3 years later (probably where you'd enter), "alternative" showed up and made all of my beloved metal & rock music seem totally uncool. So for that reason, I always despised anything even remotely to do with alternative/indie/grunge, etc. Now in addition to classic metal, I listen to lots of country as well (90s country, mainly and some of the contemporaries like Chris Stapleton & Jamey Johnson)

wait, to add: I also fucking absolutely LOVE/love/love synthwave, holy shit do I. It's because it reminds me of my early years in life.

Attached: Sylvester Stallone body of the 80s.png (293x509, 225K)

>they're 2/4 bars
they're repetitive as fuck regardless
it's a bad habit you need to consciously start correcting next beat

>a friend of mine
... is he the bmx guy? because bro i love that shit, that got me way more into (((current))) hip-hop as well after hating on the whole thing

> ... is he the bmx guy? because bro i love that shit, that got me way more into (((current))) hip-hop as well after hating on the whole thing

Bahaha, yes, Adam; but I'm laughing at the fact that you & I probably see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.

LOL that's fucking dope dude dude
>you & I probably see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.
quite possibly
i'm only 24 but was very snobbish about trap as it came up (definitely more into rock as a teenager) then lil peep opened me up to the whole thing because of those emo sensibilities and got into that whole world of emo edgy shit.

... share some stories man
and music since you're posting here lol

>digital noise timbre
Oof, cool nonetheless

egh lol I mean, I don't really have anything interesting but musically, i'm predominantly a fan of 80s & 90s metal as well as other 80s pop stuff that I'd never admit to liking in real life but in a closet, I love it. Really I think it's just because it reminds me of being super young when the world seemed limitless. I still believe it is, but it's just sifting through what you really consider most important and worthy of going for in life and just doing it.

Curious, because of your age: do you like or appreciate any synthwave artists?

>80s pop stuff that I'd never admit to liking in real life
own it man that shit banged so hard it bled into being ironically cool again decades later

i listen to youtube mixes of it pertty often but the only artist i can actually name is this kid HOME youtube.com/watch?v=9Ty-qFZZPZk

> it reminds me of being super young when the world seemed limitless
relevant feeling to synthwave huh, that hopefulness slips away so easily with age

Ok yes, spot-on. Agree on all points, no lie.

> relevant feeling to synthwave huh, that hopefulness slips away so easily with age
Well it's weird cuz like, I'm not married and don't have any kids. In no way am I against those things (not at all; in fact, I kinda strongly encourage them [nuclear family, steady employment, etc.])- they're just not for me, personally, so with that said, I have a lot more freedom to explore and enjoy the shit I like about life. Like, I still have hopes & dreams and honestly, without the extra weight that would tie me down, I can actually see them manifest in real life. It's just about going with your gut in life. There are SOOO many people my age who ended up getting married and having kids but are fucking miserable. It's sad. They have mortgages that they'll inevitably refinance and nearly never be able to pay off but they HAD to do it to pay for their kids' schoolings and addition on a house, a "nice" car to impress their neighbors with and everything and sacrifice time they would have had to dedicate to things they love doing like painting, traveling, sculpting their bodies into something impressive looking & athletic, simple shit like just spending hours on Yea Forums, etc.

But who knows: maybe they're ultimately happy and I'm just judging them incorrectly but, eh, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Life goes on and everything's cool haha.

Attached: 1200px-Garfield_the_Cat.svg.png (1200x716, 132K)

man happiness is just creating meaning and running with it
I just want to make music and do my own thing; surely sacrificing your own interests for family life can be fulfilling in a different way but like you said, it's not for everybody

if anything I just think there would be slightly more people dissociating from that lifestyle if society at large weren't enforcing it, but stats are showing that more people are putting off traditional living for mostly economic reasons so that's probably opened the gate for more people to start understanding

d e a d t h r e a d

aliexpress.com/item/Worlde-Easykey-25-MIDI-25-MIDI/32848752491.html?spm=a2g0v.10010108.1000016.1.776c1cca3SSa4l
This shit ok?
It's dirt cheap and is pressure sensitive. Just need a simple midi keyboard to come up with melodies and for better workflow. Never actually had one before

>instaud.io/3J0P

Now that is day time I got to mix with my monitors, got it much louder and clearer.

instaud.io/3J6a

It is just a melody from a song I cannot quite remember, just testing the sounds of my orchestral VST I just purchased

I am a total newbie to mixing, sampling etc. I've been to studio countless time as a musician but the actual producing and recording is a new world to me.

It is just black magic to me at the moment how mastering engineers, mixers etc. are able to produce such loudness levels. I can make good mixes ( in my opinion ) that sound good in my monitors, but the moment I try to make them actually loud everything starts farting all over the place. Then again, I am only been learning this for 2 months now

finished this just now, if anyone wants to hear :D
instaud.io/3J6v I'll critique your stuff if you critique mine

How does this sound?
instaud.io/3J6z

This sounds really good to me. I like the sample. Only thing I'd like to change is making the mids on the kick less loud, but that might be personal a preference.

You can hear the instruments pretty well, there is enough "room" for them to not clash. Only the rhythm seems off. sounds pretty good though.

I'm ok with this.

The piano doesn't like it's part of the same song and I feel like it overlaps massively with something else. It's uncomfortable to listen to.

>It depends what you want to be or what music you want to make. Marilyn Manson wanted to be a rock star and get girls. Making great music wasn't high on the priority list for him.
MM relied on his image A LOT and got the success he wanted even if he didn't care about the rest, but that doesn't mean someone who makes great music can't also have good branding.
Why should they be mutually exclusive?

>You don't have to be a brand to survive
You have a brand whether you like it or not, no matter what you do. It's entirely a question of having a curated brand vs a "natural" one.
If you meant "you don't have to be a brand to survive", then sure, but having one helps immensely, which is why all the successful acts have one.

>which can also be a hindrance. There are tonnes of copy cat acts that don't make it though they're trying with the brand image thing, they're too late for their scene
Well, you don't just need any brand. It has to be good for their target audience, obviously.

>And also if one hits it big, have you developed musically? Are you making the music you want to make and not placating your fans or your label / publicists?
Whether you're doing the former or the latter, having a curated brand will almost always lead to more success than not having it.
If you're trying to be successful with the wrong kind of music, then obviously if you succeed you'll have to deal with the consequences of that.
Should've branded and marketed your good music lol.
I don't see how this relates to branding.

>Marilyn Manson became a caricature of himself, a has-been trapped in the past because what worked in '97 stopped working in subsequent years.
It's his fault for sticking to his formula and not evolving throughout the years like all multi-generational artists do.
Nobody is saying that a brand is fixed in stone. You can gradually change it or you can straight up rebrand yourself.
Still, he had it much better than what he'd have with no branding.

>having a curated brand will almost always lead to more success than not having it.

Maybe you didn't get what I wrote. A musician is not necessarily a musician because they want 'success', I guess you mean wealth. This is why the first thing I wrote was 'it depends what you want to be.' If you want to be rich you're probably going to have to worry about branding, but then you've got a lot of worries because you're going to have to make bullshit pabulum for tweens, do ads and interviews and perform non stop because the industry is dead.

Hi, newbie brainlet here

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good and affordable (sub $150 - $200) portable recorders for recording band practice or demos?

Currently I'm deciding on either the Sony ICD-UX560F and Olympus WS-852. Or is it better to stick with the ol' reliable Zoom h1n?

>Maybe you didn't get what I wrote. A musician is not necessarily a musician because they want 'success', I guess you mean wealth. This is why the first thing I wrote was 'it depends what you want to be.'
Ah yes, of course. I thought you meant "what kind of musical act you want to be".
The whole discussion (started with this post , which you were replying to) is about being successful (in the way that's commonly intended), but not necessarily mainstream fame or great financial wealth.
Basically building enough of a fanbase to be able to live off your music indefinitely.
I should've specified that I guess.

If you need a fanbase then marketing is so helpful that it's basically a necessity.
If you don't (because you do scoring or any other "behind the scenes" job), then obviously marketing isn't necessary for you, but the original post was about musicians with fans (which I assume most people here want to be).

>If you want to be rich you're probably going to have to worry about branding, but then you've got a lot of worries because you're going to have to make bullshit pabulum for tweens, do ads and interviews and perform non stop because the industry is dead.
Very true, which is even making me reconsider going in the direction where I'll have to appear in public, and simply doing it in secret (or with some sort of mask), but realistically if I want a career with my music I'll probably have to suck it up and accept that it comes with the territory.
I think it's still worth it though, because the bullshit you have to go through is proportional to how successful you are, so it becomes tiresome only when you're very successful and at that point the benefits outweigh all the bullshit IMO, so it's not that bad.

youtu.be/e1BLpoPOwbU?t=135
I don't understand. What's special about this?
Can't you play your sounds in real time with other granulators?
Am I missing something?

Attached: 1558840740_screenshot-2019-05-23-at-15.47.22.png (844x524, 273K)

>tfw finding absolute gold in obscure homemade documentaries from the 80s on yt

man i wish we still had the old relevant videos section because it's impossible to actively look for this kind of shit and it has to come to you

>You can hear the instruments pretty well, there is enough "room" for them to not clash. Only the rhythm seems off. sounds pretty good though.

Thanks for the feedback.

instaud.io/3J8C

I put the song through a simple mastering plugin from vst4free.com and tweaked little the levels and added some generic guitar layer.

How do you think the sound compares production -wise to stuff like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=py6iHvKbDjs
youtube.com/watch?v=EETSXFI6H-w

I basically have album full of material ready to record, but I am not sure can I achieve even anything comparable to sounds of those above albums and they are not probably some high-end stuff. Rather learn the mixing stuff properly before attempting to record whole album... either that or rerecord it 10x to get it right

Production wise your sound is honestly not as good. The youtube vids you posted sound have about the same "roominess" as your song, but the instruments themselves sound a fuller than yours. I can't say for certain how they did it, but you can try messing around with some compression and adding some chorus and reverb.

Thanks for the feedback. I've updated the song and removed the piano. Does it sound better like this or does something else sound off?
instaud.io/3J9m

I'm going to make some changes to the beginning and ending of the song, but I'd like to know just for reference if this improves it in your opinion.

tried to go for a pop trappy kinda production, mainstream shit

instaud.io/3J9G

idk how to end it yet so it just kinda ends. hows the mixing? i could probably push it louder but idk how without making it too dirty

>/prod/ is now a black metal and dungeon synth zone
Very nice

I just got a 49 key midi keyboard
what now?

Attached: alberto.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Anyone know of any ways to use my Synths FX on a send channel in Ableton?
Not looking to print or resample, simply host the VST controller NOT on a MIDI track.

get an 88 key midi keyboard

Use a monosynth

>pastebin says reaper is free
>check website
>$60 + tip for personal licence

The trial is full-featured and you can renew it indefinitely, so for all intents and purposes it is free.

Demo can be used indefinitely

what drug will make me pump out 25 songs before the end of may?

youtu.be/skc6DIxvPbg

Disciplin® and Determin®. Can mix with no side effects.

right. Can you write me a prescription doc?

i want to go for something dreamy sorta like -youtu.be/8UJLRuIs8mQ . what synths would you recommend for me to learn? thx in advance

any recommended keyboard tutorials for beginners?

musescore.com/user/7799631/scores/2014001

learn how to play this then use the website to find more songs

FM synthesis

What's the best cheap DJ controller I can buy?

That's a tall order, I'd recommend abusing adderall and alternating between green tea and coffee with a little aspirin crushed up in it.

I know a drug called being a piece of shit and giving up before starting.
It's naturally produced by your body, and you can stimulate it by shitposting here instead of working.

I'll be legit with you, unless you're already doing like 5 a day I don't think you can make that even with chemical assistance.
The oldest and truest is to drink alcohol, which will make you "more creative" (ie less judgemental of what you come up with) and counteract the typical loss of focus with caffeine.

Other useful substances are phenibut (some same inhibition lowering as alcohol, Xanax-lite), sulbutiamine (enhances focus, favorite of law students), and synepherine (stimulant, ephedrine but half as strong).
These are most likely not controlled substances in your country, and can be ordered cheaply and safely online (possibly excluding Phenibut, lol Australia).
All of these can be combined with caffeine (coffee/sips/soda, whatever you prefer), however unless you're used to stimulants that might be a bit intense.
Phenibut and Sulbutiamine aren't really suitable for daily use because you build a tolerance quickly and Phenibut will actually cause withdrawls if you use it for too long.
In addition if you're taking a load of stimulants I recommend low dose aspiring (to thin your blood) and an L-Citrulline + L-Arginine mix of 2-3 grams each (dilate you blood vessels) to minimize your risk of stroke (these are also useful compounds if you like to use stronger stimulants).
Always remember to stay hydrated!

Attached: 1537784387597.jpg (1300x1867, 1M)

The combination of alcohol and caffeine causes neuron holocaust

wow these are super helpful responses. Esepcially this one, this one, this one, and this one.

I won't be able to start until tomorrow however I think I have some projects I could finish for when I get tired or feel stifled creatively.

thanks for the advice!

How's intonation
instaud.io/3Jcj

Can anyone identify the percussion instrument that appears at around 0:40? I absolutely love the sound.
I think it might be a Guiro or a wodden croaking frog (played slowly) but most of the examples I found online sound different
youtu.be/S0tW3unaq8s

If you can get away with it, make (or download) a template and make 25 very similar songs.

Attached: uwygpy0lglu21.png (1374x791, 363K)

Meme of the day

Attached: it's not so bad after all.png (1043x1487, 3.55M)

It sounds a little low-pitched to be a guiro, maybe a washboard? They get used a lot in that style.

meme ruining fact: cigarettes don't burn hot enough to light gasoline, they're banned at pumps in case you drop the lighter

regardless, 0/10

Fuck! I got sucked into listening to lo-fi house all day yesterday and now I want to make lo-fi house. How is the current technology for making a guy singing sound like a girl singing? What should I look for? Asking for a friend.

fuck you fags

You first

Nah dude, I'm asexual. I just want to make music.

At least pay back my (you)

>branding
MFW this entire thread:
youtube.com/watch?v=8gFA7DUM008

Attached: Tip of the Week _ will.i.am _ WSJ Startup of the Year [8gFA7DUM008].png (1920x1080, 803K)

how do they achieve the nostalgic effect in tracks like this

youtube.com/watch?v=UTV-_uksm44

This is what I was talking about; I just need to make shit that sounds like this. It's in my bones now.
If you're talking about making it digitally, there is a bunch of stuff that goes into making it sound nostalgic:
>shitty (in a good way) compression
>slight detune/pitch drift
>roll of the high end a bit
>bit crush (12 bit seems to be a sweet spot)

I don't think much of that is going on in that track particularly

What website should I use to upload something larger than 15MBs?

Is it 15MB even after converting to mp3?

not him but you clearly don't have an ear for it if you can't hear all of that in the track you posted

convert to mp3 u dingus

I was using WAV I'll try MP3 right now, cheers

help me hear it then

bitch he literally just fucking told you what to do, try it out yourself

freac if you don't already know

>bitch he literally just fucking told you what to do, try it out yourself
no cuck boy, if you are hearing this shit in the track then tell me where it is instead of flexing on me pretending to be this super cool producer dude while I can almost guarantee your music sounds like hot garbage fire

wrong, radio music is bought from these very sort of sincere people... its not like you cant make money in this way. and if you cultivate an image but your production and mixing is shit you'll 100% of the time fail.

one is certainly more important than the other because even big pop music stars live off / rip off the work of genuine musicians.

>cuck boy
didn't want to list every fucking thing for some earlet eXcUSe MeEEEeee
literally everything is eq'd like that, it's especially prominent in the drums
drums sound bit reduced
all of the synths are wobbling, but not as much the chords. bass is more slow wobble with the higher more occasional synth being closer to a fast vibrato

he left off specifying to using both highshelfs and low passes (not just one or the other because clearly you're a brainlet who would fuck that up) and also saturation, typically after eq/filtering. Also not everything needs low end, makes it more thin and casette-y. "Mud" in the low mids is welcome and provides warmth, obviously not too much though

Now go fuck yourself I should have just ignored you instead of spoonfeeding a rude little noobie

Could you rephrase please?
I understood nothing.

cool thanks. i mean, yeah you shouldn't have replied if you weren't going to say those things

Any based mixmasters with good ears here that care to comment on the mixing of this (20 seconds snip). I tried to A/B with a Joni Mitchell song (Help Me, great song).

Attached: keytar-grand.jpg (1048x1428, 195K)

>instaud.io/3IYI
Forgot link

>i mean, yeah you shouldn't have replied if you weren't going to say those things
jeeeeeeeez

whats your problem this time?

That might be it, thanks for the tip

im just another user coming through from the front page to tell you to go fuck yourself

Does anyone else find when they slow down their song or pitch shift it that it always seems to sound better? I'm sure it's just because you listen to the original speed and pitch like 5 million times, but do you guys get tempted to make a different version of every song you produce?

i'll fuck your mom first, tard

Like any pitch shifter but to keep it lofi just load your vocals into a sampler and use it to pitch up.

lol ye im sure that'll happen
meanwhile keep making those amazing tracks with those amazing ears u have with no creativity or skill

it's happening right now, i'll make a track about it later too since you're so eager

yet you cant identify basic production qualities and post in /prod/ about how to make stylistic choices

whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa

instaud.io/3JeF

i guess you were born with production knowledge then?

keep getting spoonfed im sure you'll make bangers one day

i hope so too

do you hate books because they teach you things too? or paid courses? if you were teaching anything would you tell any student that asked a question to shut the fuck up because answering would be spoonfeeding? lmao the autism on this board

is serum good?

I don't really post here usually but what do you guys think about this? Don't worry about being too harsh, I don't get offended.
instaud.io/3Jf0

do you often make false situations that arnt the one your describing to support your narrative?
if a student came to me expecting good information while not having the awareness or ability to foster an understanding of fundamentals, then yes i would tell him to work on himself first or he will slow down the whole class, exactly the same way that to take a class you need previous experience or to meet the requirements of entry.
besides, that this is Yea Forums and not a classroom; so on that note go fuck yourself

I didn't even open it but judging by the file ID in the URL I can already tell it's absolute fucking trash.
Kill yourself, this isn't for you.

really quiet

lmao, first it's called an analogy. fair enough if you think it's false. to me it's the same - i get on an online forum and ask a question. some retards get pissed and start going at me but it's my fault for asking? pure autism

Yeah, it's a lot louder in the DAW. I don't know why my tracks always come out so much quieter. I suppose I could try gain boosting the master track a bit but I'm nervous to how that could affect the overall balance of the mix.

i dont think you know what autism is while having an inflated self worth where you seem to feel like you are owed the information even though you have a shitty attitude
>to me it's the same
well to me its some useless undergrad coming at a PhD with a ridiculously lacking understanding while maintaining that the PhD should be helping him

no one got pissed off for asking, they got pissed because you expected them to dissect every piece of information into an easily consumable bite even though the topic is complex and will take years to understand.

Thanks, It’s actually a tube amp causing all of that, didn’t realize how high it was until everything was recorded.

are you listening through headphones and an audio interface? Not sure why it would be so low but maybe you're jacking up a separate output for headphones and just think it's loud in your DAW? What db is the master track hitting?

Yes I am and I'm not sure honestly. I'm always fucking with my audio levels.
It's around -18 I don't really know what's standard for anything, I just kinda listen and adjust until I find what I think sounds good.

it only went ballistic after the first 'bitch', which was not me. i think 'just don't reply if you weren't going to answer' is reasonable btw

I'm not very knowledgeable myself but I'm pretty sure your goal is to stay below 0, but -18 is pretty quiet.

he was saying you didn't deserve a reply dumbass

Oh that's actually really smart. I'l start using that to find ranges to start with, create a kind of sound floor so I can mix more easily.

cool, fagboy, thanks for replying anyway

image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/mixer_dB.htm

image-line.com/support/flstudio_online_manual/html/mixer_levelsandmixing.htm

Check out these articles if you like, there's some useful info for you there.

you did get an answer but then you also required the poster to in depth describe basic principles which should be YOUR prerogative to learn alone and being spoonfed them does nothing for you or the other poster
i know im a fag for even having this conversation but fuck it i love audio and you wont learn by having the conversation you are trying to have
if you niggas are willing to do some reading into the reason why people talkin about -18 then you are well on your way to understanding some very important concepts in digital audio.
-18 is a very good volume for lots of reasons, those reasons becoming more or less important depending on your intentions and tools.
this is another topic i will not be sitting here typiing about for hours. i really reccommend reading into analogue digital conversion practicses, not because of rendering - but because it will foster a true understanding of how and why to make decisions.

>think of an alias
>search soundcloud to see if it's been taken
>it has
>music is exactly the same style you're making
>images are exactly what you were going to post to go along with your tracks
Well... back to drawing board.

you see what fucking happens when you guys spoonfeed people???

if this is demarcus fucking lol @ not noticing it sooner

>im a fag
>you wont learn by having the conversation you are trying to have
both true lets leave it at that

>spoonfed them does nothing for you
not true actually but lets leave it at that

> or the other poster
true

Is that just a huge coincidence or you were about to base your identity and music on something that a lot of people share (like a scene or a subculture or something)?

Ignorance is bliss my friend.
At the end of the day all art can come down to a science if someone takes the time to learn it as such. But the fact that I need to feel it be good rather than knowing what makes it good is what makes each of my creations so personal.
I hand crafted this, just for me. Ya know?

it is true im sure you'll see that a few more years into your audio experiments
i couldnt agree more

Not Demmy.
>base your identity and music on something that a lot of people share
Yeah, it's not much of a coincidence.
>Lo-fi
>Japanese
>Solitude and loneliness (as a theme)
I guess that shit goes hand in hand.

What does it mean if nobody replies to my instaudio links?

>>Lo-fi
>>Japanese
>>Solitude and loneliness
vaporwave and synthwave have been happening for a good while man

Oops didn't mean to reply... I forgot to delete the reply link that shows up by using the quick reply thing

>vaporwave and synthwave
Actually going for lo-fi house. So maybe it was a little more of a coincidence than I thought... just slightly.

Well there you go.
If your work is so common that other artists have the same entire package as you, then I'm not sure why a potential listener would want to listen to it.
I'd take this as a huge sign that more originality is needed, and I would alter both the music and the identity to be more unique, otherwise there's a big risk of never standing out.

I'll work in anime samples; that'll make me a little more unique ;)

>tfw you make your own anime samples with swishy swords and random nip gibberish because its fun
>never use them because anime is for fags

Franklinian

Barnumian

new thread when?

NEW THREAD