How on earth did they become the most influential rock band of all time?

How on earth did they become the most influential rock band of all time?

Lord knows, but that's the facts. Every time a band wants to make some noise, The Velvets are there. Every time somebody specifically sets out to have simple drumming, The Velvets are there. Every time a pervert grabs a microphone, The Velvets are there. Every time somebody confronts their audience with any remotely unusual ideas about gender roles, The Velvets are there. Every time somebody sings an unambiguous song about drugs, The Velvets are there. Every time a rock band imagines themselves as an idiosyncratic cult act rather than as cookie-cutter megastars, The Velvets are there. They're an essential part of the DNA of punk, of glam, of No-Wave, of new wave, of alternative rock, of indie rock, of noise rock, of shoegaze, whatever you like. Clear lines can be drawn back to this album from modern points of interest as disparate as Kayo Dot, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, Have A Nice Life, and Neurosis. Most of music's most notable innovators since - David Bowie, Public Enemy, Patti Smith, Slint, The Stooges, Suicide, Talking Heads, King Crimson, Pixies, R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Joy Division, Can, John Zorn, Brian Eno, even bloody Burzum - owe them something. It really is astonishing what this album started

Attached: 6988068.png (1495x1485, 1.6M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4nFko02L8ek,
youtube.com/watch?v=jDdepIhwru0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Every time somebody specifically sets out to have simple drumming, The Velvets are there.

Attached: ah-bloo-bloo.png (741x568, 29K)

I too read rateyourmusic reviews :o)

>How on earth did they become the most influential rock band of all time?
They didn't. It's just a meme by people that hate the Beatles repeated so many times that it becomes 'truth'
Fact is the velvet underground never sold enough records to be as influential as claimed.

>t's just a meme by people that hate the Beatles repeated so many times that it becomes 'truth'
This is how truth gets created half of the time, like it or not. And it goes a lot further than influential albums

almost clockwork how every velvets thread has to have at least one salty beatlesfag

their asshurt is everlasting, it’s the one thing that never goes away.

t. Scarrufi

Asshurt over what? Pretending that a band that barely anyone listens to is more influential than the biggest selling act of all time is just delusional.

>the biggest selling act of all time
Michael Jackson. The Beatles were around at at time when they barely kept track of units sold so the estimates are a bit generous.

>Michael Jackson
umm sorry sweetie, but no.
But MJ definitely sold more than VU and is definitely more influential than VU. He' might be more influential on popular music of today, but the Beatles influence was by far the most prevalent in the late 20th century, particularly in rock and pop.

Attached: 34563.png (2570x1010, 487K)

4 uk acts in there? must be a fix

the velvet underground...

a group of all american rock n rollers with nothing but music in there hearts...

lou rheed, the singer of the group, with his biting wit and rockin spirit...

john kale.. the true artist, master of violate and pianis, makes lots of amazon drones, scottish

starcraft "jim" morrison - expert guitar master, killer blues licks...

momo tucker : the driving force of the band, tom toms get people moving, woman

toegether they made the shittiest music of all time, so shitty that it made people want to make music that wasnt shitty, making them the best band of all time

hmmmm ;(

hmm... vietnam... 69... velvets, stones... 27...

>mfw I don't like any of the bands you cited

Attached: 1546010442330.gif (774x850, 348K)

>influence = sales
lol

They didn't need to sell a lot of records to be highly influential to other musicians though, and we know a lot of musicians used to cite people like them and The Stooges etc. often enough for them to gain a bigger following.

Yeah and it’s still boring and unlistenable from the 2019 standpoint

That review was such shit.
>Every time a band wants to make some noise,
Nope, hardcore garage rock and garage psych was already heading that way. See 01:04:30 in youtube.com/watch?v=4nFko02L8ek, or (starting at 0:33) youtube.com/watch?v=jDdepIhwru0 from 1966, both are just as out-there as European Son.
>Every time somebody specifically sets out to have simple drumming, The Velvets are there.
What the fuck? No artist consciously simplified their drumming before the Velvets? I'm sure Ticket to Ride was inspired by the Velvet Underground.
>Every time a pervert grabs a microphone, The Velvets are there.
I guess Jerry Lee Lewis and every blues singer ever were Velvet clones.
>Every time somebody confronts their audience with any remotely unusual ideas about gender roles, The Velvets are there.
Ignoring that this attributes an entire topic matter to the VU, even in the popular rock music of the 60s Bob Dylan was already doing this:
>The motorcycle black madonna
>Two-wheeled gypsy queen
>And her silver-studded phantom cause
>The gray flannel dwarf to scream
>As he weeps to wicked birds of prey
>Who pick up on his bread crumb sins
>And there are no sins inside the Gates of Eden
That's from 1965.
>Every time somebody sings an unambiguous song about drugs, The Velvets are there.
Jesus Christ, Cocaine Blues is a folk standard.
>Every time a rock band imagines themselves as an idiosyncratic cult act rather than as cookie-cutter megastars, The Velvets are there.
Because the Mothers of Invention sure were Velvet drones.

Jesus how does this board keep trying to foist this shitty band on everyone?

Yea Forums got me to listen to VU&N, and it was a big mistake. this was one of the worst albums by a popular acclaimed band I've ever heard, there is no highlights on this album there are none, the best songs are all just average just rock playing it safe, and after the 7th track it only gets worse, it goes from generic to bad and then you get to a standout song, but it stands out for all the wrong reasons.

This song my friends is "I'll Be Your Mirror" this song is a legit 0/10, now you may ask "What's so bad about the song?" The better question to ask would be "What isn't bad about this song?" and I can answer that too, the answer is NOTHING! Nothing about that song is good at all, the music = shit, the lady's singing = shit, the xylophone in the song = shit and the lyrics = shit. It's truly VU hitting rock bottom from this point the last 2 songs are bad, "European Son" especially but its listenable compared to the song that shall not be named.

This album is fucking terrible, avoid it because there is nothing good in it at all and definitely avoid "I'll Be Your Mirror" AT ALL COSTS!

pleb filter working as intended

Nice bait

Holy Shit, this review is so old. Brings back memories of when I first got into music at all.

WL/WH is better

idk, i think it sounds nice.

the beatles live in reed's head rent free eternally

>tfw haven't listened to anything by VU
Fuck your banana meme and fuck Yea Forums

Attached: 1494509694205.jpg (500x467, 52K)

Listen to The Gift right this instant! >:(