Are time signatures are basically bullshit...

Are time signatures are basically bullshit? I can divide 16 quarter notes into 16/1 8/2 4/4 2/8 1/16 and it's still the same exact shit.

Attached: Musical-Time-Signatures.png (417x376, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=75dvYWtXd3w
youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8b6RPbnAc
soundcloud.com/synchronix/37new
youtube.com/watch?v=vcvd-L73Cqs
youtube.com/watch?v=MlQ1GMwhNdg
youtube.com/watch?v=bestW9Cw5GU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>16/1
this is 16 whole notes
>8/2
this is 8 half notes
>4/4
this is 4 quarter notes
>2/8
this is 2 eighth notes
>1/16
this is 1 sixteenth note
research your arguments more thoroughly next time.

No, they all have a different feel based on their number and placement of upbeats and/or downbeats.

Yes. Theory fags itt have their nose stuck in books

What if a song never repeats itself? How do you decide when a bar begins and ends?

by what it says in the sheet music maybe

So because some guy wrote it that way?

yeah. that’s how all music works, dumbass.

Actually, music works by creating a flow of emotion from harmony and melody over time. If I say something is 1 whole note, or 1 note spread over 4 quarters notes, it makes no difference to the music.

>it's still the same exact shit.
It's not, because the signature also denotes what beat the emphasis is put in. That's the difference between a 3/4 and a 6/8.

>1 whole note, or 1 note spread over 4 quarters notes
you just described the same thing in. you’re trying to argue something in a topic you don’t understand at all. do more research before shitposting, this is just low effort.

Exactly. Likewise, I could describe the same melody in multiple time signatures without changing the music.

Define emphasis. Can a player not emphasize any note they choose, regardless of the time signature?

>Define emphasis.
>Define
use your ears autist

Attached: louis-armstrong-9188912-2-402.jpg (1200x1200, 217K)

>Can a player not emphasize any note they choose, regardless of the time signature?
They can, but that would dictate the time signature itself (assuming the emphasis was a repeating pattern).

>I could describe the same melody in multiple time signatures without changing the music.
you can’t, because what you describe is just one whole note. the time signature doesn’t matter, a note lasting 4 quarters is always a whole note. i get this is Yea Forums but you really didn’t prepare any notes beforehand did you?

Are you dumb
Whether a song repeats or not is irrelevant to the number of beats per measure. Strong and weak beats dictate the meter. If you have a piece in 4/4 for instance, then naturally every first beat will be stronger than all the others, with the second beat being next strongest. Extend this to the other meters.

I don't see how time signature has anything to do with emphasis. I see emphasis more as an expression, which can happen at any point the player chooses along the notes he's playing.

youtube.com/watch?v=75dvYWtXd3w

ONE two three ONE two three

>I don't see how time signature has anything to do with emphasis.
because you’re a non-musician
>I see emphasis more as an expression, which can happen at any point the player chooses along the notes he's playing.
absolutely, during the second part of rite of spring the string section are actually just randomly choosing which notes to accent and aren’t following the score’s dictation at all. it’s all just feeling bro lol just chill.

ONE TWO three ONE two THREE

why not?

you’re still accenting the first note of every bar mate, his point hasn’t been disproven at all.

You must be a great dance partner.

>randomly choosing which notes to accent

youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8b6RPbnAc

Attached: a1552919974_10.jpg (900x900, 129K)

Then that ceases to be a 3/4, and more of a 5/4 with an extra beat at the beginning

ok, well how about:

ONE two three one TWO three one two THREE

>I see emphasis more as an expression, which can happen at any point the player chooses along the notes he's playing.
How long have you been playing in a band?

Because it’s unnatural. If you were to just count 1 2 3 over and over you would emphasize one eventually over the others. If you wanted the rhythm you wrote then you would have to explicitly write that in the score. Stravinsky did stuff like that all the time in order to disorient the listener.

First 'two' wasn't supposed to be capitalized.

if you didn’t notice all these math rock bands accent the same notes in unison and with precision. it’s almost like these are all preplanned rhythmic accents to a time signature.
that’s not 3/4 anymore then.

he’s never touched an instrument in his life. nonmusicians are incredibly easy to spot when they try to talk about not just music theory but music practicality.

Wow I thought I ended the thread right here but y’all keep spewin

>First 'two' wasn't supposed to be capitalized.
Then what are you trying to say?

I was fairly clear earlier that the emphasis pattern will determine if something is, say, a 3/4 or a 6/8

here's one of my guitar compositions:

soundcloud.com/synchronix/37new

and yes, while it has a very obvious and clear time signature, i feel like not all music does, and some songs you cannot find a conventionally repeating accent, nor should you be limited to compose in that way

AHHHH I HATE MYSELF
I'm I switched to my phone so it didn't have the (you) indicator and I thought I had misswritten
sorry everyone

no one cares about your shitty guitar music mate. you will never be a serious musician and your ideas are primitive and lacking in any sort of understanding at best and outright shitposting at worst.

lol ok, you probably have no music written. go play 300 year old music on your shitty boring horn or whatever

OK, so how long have you been playing in a band? You now, with other people, in which you would need to be in a common agreement of how to all play together in some unified fashion?

>some songs you cannot find a conventionally repeating accent,
Like what?
>nor should you be limited to compose in that way
Oh, are you that user who thinks "music theory limits creativity"?

that’s cute, keep priding yourself on your subpar soundcloud trash. it’ll get you far in life.

That ‘shitty horn music’ will be listened to and talked about for another 300 years whereas your guitar music will be forgotten and never heard again in 1.

As people have said, time signatures do not determine what the music sounds like. Rather, the music determines the time signature. Time signature doeant decide anything, it's just a convenient and effective way to express music in written language. Now please everyone fuck off and let this thread die.

>not all
>some
How does that make time signatures bullshit?

Meter is a universal musical system that nearly every human cultural group has invented.

>Like what?

not saying you'll like it, but check this song >music theory limits creativity
no I don't believe that. but if you feel you HAVE TO accent beats at a consistent interval because the time signature tells you to, that really is kind of limiting yourself

imagine thinking some shitty math rock band doing some accents counts as breaking the rules of meter.

>not saying you'll like it, but check this song
I am familiar with Dillinger Escape Plan. That is an actual time signature, it isn't random. I could try t chart it out of you want.
>but if you feel you HAVE TO accent beats at a consistent interval because the time signature tells you to
Didn't I just say the emphasis dictates the signature, not the other way around?

Answer my question

youtube.com/watch?v=vcvd-L73Cqs

>C

What kind of fucking boomer notation is this?

Common time, another way of putting 4/4
C with a line through it is half time.

I guess to me it seems silly to categorize a song according to a repetition of emphasis you assume will be there. It's not like can omit the time signature from a piece when you are writing the sheet music for it. It's the reason we have accidentals. Not everything fits into the box.

>It's not like can omit the time signature from a piece when you are writing the sheet music for it.
standard musical notation, there are seven ways in which a piece is indicated to be in free time:

There is simply no time signature displayed. This is common in old vocal music such as Gaelic psalms.[clarification needed]
There is no time signature but the direction 'Free time' is written above the stave.
There is a time signature (usually 4
4) and the direction 'Free time' written above.
The word FREE is written downwards across the stave. This is mostly used when the piece changes to free time after having had a time signature.
Instead of a time signature, a large X is written on the stave.
Note heads alone are used, without time values (typically black note heads without stems)
The passage is marked "recitativo" or "parlando"

Music theory isn't a set in stone set of rules that must be followed. Time signatures are ultimately unneeded, yet are helpful for playing musicians. You can indeed write the same melody into a different time signature, but since the point of writing a time signature in the first place is to tell the player what beats to place emphasis on, they may not play it how you intended. Strong beats and weak, which is what forms the feel of the time signature.

On the topic of music theory, I feel that it should be used as a tool for finding interesting sounds and rhythms, but they do not dictate what works and what doesn't. Only those that obsess over being "right" in theory are limited by it.

That's very interesting. Thanks I never knew that

>music works by creating a flow of emotion
Nope, plenty of music is written in a formulaic manner without any "emotional" input (like atonal music, serial music, etc)
>from harmony and melody over time
music can be devoid of both.
>If I say something is 1 whole note, or 1 note spread over 4 quarters notes, it makes no difference to the music.
It makes a difference to musicians, who have o interpret the music, and composers who actually bother to choose the time signature.
The time signature can come down to a stylistic choice however some innate parts of music can only be described via measures like the emphasis of certain beats or where to begin in part of a rehearsal. Also, the time signature has 2 numbers, each of which effect the length of the note differently. Additionally there are numerous unofficial conventions that the time signatures convey, particularly how subdivisions are tracked.

And there you have it, you have just figured out (one of the reasons) why 4/4 time exists. You emphasized every 4 notes.

lol got me you son of a bitch

That song clearly displays different time signatures throughout. Theres long sections of 4/4 and some other sections of 3/8, 5/8, and 7/8 combined in different ways.

ONE e and a TWO e and a THREE e and a FOUR e
ONE ta te ta TWO ta te ta THREE ta te ta
ONE lo li TWO lo li THREE lo li

ONE two ONE two three ONE two ONE two three ONE two ONE two three

ONE te TWO te THREE te FOUR te

U ni ver si ty U ni ver si ty U ni ver si ty U ni ver si ty

youtube.com/watch?v=MlQ1GMwhNdg

bleep bloop

what’s this about lolis user?

Attached: A1CD5C24-8712-4AFC-9EED-7DAEAE800970.jpg (750x563, 26K)

They are but I also doubt your sense of duration is developed enough to really understand why.

take the boomer music back to plebbit gramps

4/4 is how it should be played, don’t be a pleb

Not all music needs a time signature yes

The difference is the phrasing. You can have vastly different songs with the same progression only because of their signature. Swing would be drastically different if it was in 4/4. It's all in the phrasing lads

>some songs you cannot find a conventionally repeating accent
that doesn't mean that you can't divide, augment or diminish a beat in such a way as to be able to score it. You're getting so frustrated with something that is literally just a tool to describe how the music works. Stop using your own retardation to get us to listen to your shitty music

>phrasing
>not feel
looks like we got a guitar player here who doesn't know how to play in the pocket.

I was even gonna post it until someone who has probably never composed anything in their life accused me of not even being able to play an instrument. There is no need to divide a score. Tempo, velocity, and note duration tells the whole story.

Based post except beat 2 isn’t the second strongest, it’s beat 3

what is the actual length of a measure, though? Like in objective time units

People who find time signatures interesting
>LMAO I DON'T KNOW WHAT A RATIO IS BUT MY HOBBY IS FRACTIONS LOL

no he didn't
the amount of confusion in this thread is baffling. I can write a phrase and it can have a natural logical feel and meter. I can also pick a signature and just put shit where ever the fuck I want and never once accent the downbeat.

a measure is always 2.74209 seconds without fail, it works a lot like pi does.

there a titanium copy of the original measure in a temperature controlled laboratory in france I hear

Counting is for faggots

Attached: fax.jpg (447x447, 36K)

Aww interesting, I thought it was something like that! Weird that is so close to the value of e, huh

See International Standards for more info

yet the circular and repetitive function of rhythm is for everyone.

I don't understand theory, and I don't understand how it helps create music.

oh no he went back to being retarded

>Because it’s unnatural.

Get creative, fag

Attached: fuck off.png (500x500, 241K)

>time signatures are basically bullshit
Correct, and key signatures are bullshit too. Musicfags will deny this because they don't want to admit they spent 12 times as much time learning scales as they needed to, instead of just using an isomorphic keyboard + chromatic staff.

I share a board, a musical one at that, with these people.

Attached: 500 x 700 -schönberg.jpg (500x700, 45K)

bad bait

Whoops my bad

/thread

if you have a tempo of 120 in 4/4 and a tempo of 120 in 13/8, you're going to 'feel' it differently. the way the beats are grouped has an observable effect on the way they feel. Otherwise how do you explain things like offbeat rhythms? syncopation? It's the same with rhythmic poetry too, there will always be a stressed and unstressed syllable in every metric foot, its simply the way rhythm works. Even our own HEARTBEAT follows this rule. You'll never be a good player if you don't realise that

post your atonal, freeform trash music and we'll be the judge of whether those things are necessary or not

The bullshit part isn't the dividing up into bars, it's the denominator of the fraction. Those time signatures should be just "4" and "13", with a tempo specified. Fast 3/4 is literally the same as slow 6/8.

The fact that a time signature can be divided into another doesn't make it wrong or 'bullshit'. You can't just have a time sig of 4, because then you're saying 4 of what? quarter notes? quavers? tempo won't tell you how many beats your bar can subdivide into, the denominator is arbitrary but is still necessary to know how long your bar is. It simplifies things to the point that you're not playing a song that is literally a single bar long subdivided into 64 beats or whatever (which is what your system would entail if we subscribed to it). No self-respecting musician is going to want to perform your music if you choose to score it in such an obnoxious way. I think your problem stems from a fundamental misunderstanding between the map and the territory– a musical system of notation aims to be able to communicate, in the most precise and efficient way, the ideas of the composition. It's not there to say "this is objectively how music works", it's not a claim that time signatures are "out there" in nature, because they're bound up with the way our ear hears it and interprets a pattern within it. What you're suggesting is that the basic system of pattern recognition that every human possesses doesn't actually exist, which is nonsense.

>Those time signatures should be just "4" and "13", with a tempo specified.
If you just write 4, 4 WHAT?
You can't just write the tempo, because there are limits to what a human can actually determine as separate beats. You physically can't count less than like 20 bpm or something, and likely can't count faster than 250+ or something like that.
Therefore, shocker, we settled on a system that divides music into measures by both the number of beats and the quickness of the beat in relation to the tempo. You need both of these to describe the rhythm and meter of a piece of music.

was meant for
I see you didn't want me calling you out for calling a time sig a key sig ;)

>If you just write 4, 4 WHAT?
4 beats per bar.
>because there are limits to what a human can actually determine as separate beats
Then set the tempo such that it's humanly playable. This in no way limits the music, because you can always use tied notes and fractional duration notes.

But you would still have to choose between 8th notes and quaver notes...

All those names are bullshit too. It should be just "beats", and if the time signature is 4 then you have 4 beats per bar. Then you can have double beats and half beats etc. for rhythm and for extreme tempos.

>Tempo, velocity, and note duration tells the whole story.
except it doesn't. Melodic lines almost always have phrasing that falls into rhythmic patterns that are easily broken into various measures. This is because humans like nice patterns and (relatively) recognizable structures to latch onto. If you have a melody that isn't really represented by certain meters, then it is really going to be hard for people to listen and understand it.

>4 beats per bar.
again, what is your beat?
4/4 immediately tells me that quarter notes on the page are the pulse, and I can then see where the down beats are: 1 and 3.
7/16 tells me that eighth notes are the pulse and that there are 7 per measure. Maybe this will sound like a short 8/16, or maybe the pulses are grouped 4 and 3.
Just writing the top, I have no idea what you mean.

>because you can always use tied notes and fractional duration notes.
then good luck giving your music to a band/orchestra that is impossible to read

why

This is not a composition, it's a chord chart.

>hey guys time signatures are all bullshit
>take my version instead which is literally identical except for the fact that the denominator doesn't exist and I call my subdivisions 'double beats' and 'half beats'
Please tell me how you would score this any differently to regular musical notation, you dumbass

we already do this
>It should be just "beats"
quarter
>double beats
eighth
>half beats
half note

you are literally just changing the name. that's it.

>again, what is your beat?
Whatever your tempo says it is.
>impossible to read
But it's already standard practice.
It's retarded having e.g. "six eighth notes per bar". A bar can't be equal to three quarters of a bar. It's logically impossible, so the name is wrong.
You don't have pointless redundancy like 3/4 and 6/8.
Quarter is only correct if there are 4 beats per bar.

all pieces with compound time signatures are written with beat notes (look like """""quaver notes""""") instead of half beat notes ("""""eight notes""""") and with doubled tempo
conceptual simplicity is more important than communication

This fucking thread I swear

Attached: 3D99267E-F586-42F8-8945-B6823BA79979.jpg (474x328, 22K)

Exactly.

It's an eigth of a whole note not an eighth of a bar.
I bet you seethe hard about irrational time signatures not having irrational numbers too.
Autist.

okay, this post just proves you are fucking retarded

>It's retarded having e.g. "six eighth notes per bar". A bar can't be equal to three quarters of a bar. It's logically impossible, so the name is wrong.
a bar can be however long you want it to be. a bar is not defined to be 4 beats long. it is defined by the bottom number on a time signature.
>You don't have pointless redundancy like 3/4 and 6/8.
these are not the same thing. get this through your thick fucking skull.
>Quarter is only correct if there are 4 beats per bar.
quarter does not mean 4/th of a beat. it is just the name of the note, that's it. So much music is written in 4/4, which is why it may seem like quarter implies a 4/th of a beat. For instance, a 'quarter note' is also called a 'crotchet' in other countries, which means 'little hook' and has nothing to do with its duration.

But that means you have a non-integer number of notes per bar, which is pointlessly complicated.

>>conceptual simplicity is more important than communication
>Exactly.
i LIVE for this neurodiversity

Attached: 1558366036330.png (1000x1000, 226K)

why

>>You don't have pointless redundancy like 3/4 and 6/8.
>these are not the same thing
Describe an objective measurement that distinguished fast 3/4 from slow 6/8 by sound alone.

>Describe an objective measurement that distinguished fast 3/4 from slow 6/8 by sound alone.
You fundamentally don't get it.
Typically, the first or second beat is accented in 3/4:
ONE two three
one TWO three

6/8 on the other hand often has two groupings of three eighth notes:
ONE two three FOUR five six

In other words, these time signatures are representing an underlying different metrical feel that is independent to the tempo.

They are literally identical, because the pattern repeats:
>ONE two three ONE two three
>ONE two three FOUR five six
How do you distinguish a "ONE" from a "FOUR" by sound?

>How do you distinguish a "ONE" from a "FOUR" by sound?
if it is just rhythmic pulses, you really can't. but music is more than that. you can do it by the melody's phrasing and length.

Not that user but I don't think he's quite right. 3/4 usually accents the 1, while 6/8 accents the 4. It makes a lot more sense to think of it like this:

3/4 – DUH da da / DUH da da / DUH da da / DUH da da

6/8 – da da da DUM da da / da da da DUM da da

the "circular and repetitive function of rhythm" is for faggots.

why do you use standard english ortography instead of soundspel

because ONE is a downbeat and FOUR is not. the fourth beat in 6/8 is accented, sure, but it is not as strong as the first beat.

watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=bestW9Cw5GU

Depends on tempo, which has fluctuations.

but bars are weak and strong too
try all you want, in the end it's all anti-autism and irrelevant care for how musicians understand music

Maybe we ought to stop entertaining it when non musicians chime in every time they don't "get it". Their solution is always to uproot a system of cues that was agreed on like a thousand years ago.

seethe harder normal ;^)

Scores are the musical equivalent of theater script, and it has its own language. What the guy here is trying to accomplish falls flat once you consider hemiolas and polyrhythms.

>normal
normalFAGGOT

Attached: 1516868036793.jpg (400x400, 20K)

it's okay I don't judge

>imply that if it can't be communicated simply it's complex

I do, faggot.

Attached: Hold_still.jpg (1280x720, 198K)

>implying the implication of in fact unimplied implications

Attached: 1556447045962.jpg (236x250, 11K)

project harder normal ;^)

Stop pretending to be retarded, faggot.
Pic is you.

Attached: 1533367568251.jpg (533x708, 71K)

be wrong harder normal ;^)

this thread upsets me

Attached: 1536098905452.jpg (394x417, 13K)

ITT: nonwhites who fell for the rhythm meme

Where is this from? J-just curious...

which people are white?

Attached: 1555948959302.jpg (711x678, 139K)

All that really matters is the top number, and only prime numbers generate different sounding time signatures.

>I just can't stop sucking dicks
Look user, just keep your faggotry to yourself. You don't need to tell us how many cocks you love to suck.

"project harder" was meant sarcastically

>*glug* I just can't stop ah~*schlop*
Projection implies it isn't the truth.
Anything is projection if you blatantly ignore the prima facie.

Attached: 1554110530795.png (286x293, 199K)

you are """quoting""" with words that come from you not me
undeniable projection

its not by sound - its by organization.

this thread in un fucking believable.

you're just angry because you got btfo

u mad, fagboy?

Attached: 153421537993_1.gif (396x291, 398K)

ask yourself normal ;^)

It’s made just for convenience, not some fundamental property

IE retarded normalfaggotry

>this entire thread
out of all the creative boards, I think Yea Forums knows the least about its craft. It's almost like you pride yourselves on your musical illiteracy. Thanks for making me realise I've outgrown this place OP

Why do Americans not use the actual names for notes like crotchet, quaver etc?

Attached: no need to be mad.png (500x415, 359K)

I am relaxed
>NO NEED TO BE MAD
then don't be ;^)

>I've outgrown this place OP
I thought that a week after finding Yea Forums... around 10 years ago.

Attached: 1510376029561.png (635x661, 227K)

Yea Forums is one of the worst boards on Yea Forums

why bother when using the actual rhythmic subdivision as the name makes things so much clearer? Gotta be honest I always mix up crotchets, quavers, etc. but there's no chance that that I'd think a 1/16 note is longer than a 1/8 note.

>I am relaxed
Sounds like something a person in pain would say. It's ok user. Just accept you're a fag that likes dick.

Attached: 1538252231942.jpg (1846x1212, 299K)

>>I am relaxed
>Sounds like something a person in pain would say. It's ok user. Just accept you're a fag that likes dick.
sound like something a normalfag homofag would say ;^)

don't you mean THE worst

>sound like something a normalfag homofag would say ;^)
Such hateful bigoted intolerant nigger faggotry.

Attached: there's no need to be upset.gif (325x203, 780K)

seethe harder normal ;^)

have sex

>sex
peak normal

Wow hoes this thread still exist? Is that retard still not understanding time signatures?

there's more than one

They couldn't just read the thread?

don't ask me

>Wow hoes
cringe

eh, they're contextual. 4/4, 12/8, 4/8 can be the same shit basically, depending on tempo and performance style

Read the thread before posting your redundant opinion please, thank you.

you're welcome

You sound like the kind of guy I'd knock out for fun

Because they fucking suck and the American system is better

no

If I'm south of the equator, does an upbeat become a downbeat?

and you're the kind of guy who likes to make empty threats over the internet. Who's the bigger faggot? I genuinely couldn't tell you

say that to my face fucker

Worst thread ever

well will you look at his this little 4channel encyclopedia

Attached: yes i tconvere.jpg (543x549, 73K)

I bet you also think we should throw away key signatures and just write in flat or sharp or natural for every note written in a score lmao

rite of spring is great because Stravinsky changes time signature every measure

>just write everything in C, I-I-I’m a musical genius, I promise!!
Good luck being the retard that cant sightread and always plays wrong notes even when the key only has 2 flats

dishonest greentext

I want to learn theory, what instrument should I pick up?

Piano

The short and simple answer's here, retards.

but they're expensive and burdensome.

it’s okay to admit you have no rhythmic sense, user

Then buy a synth or a midi keyboard, anything with a piano roll

Then go to any community center, church or college in the entire known universe and leave your excuses at the door.

inferior pianist has to change his scale shape when he changes key

Attached: major.jpg (595x269, 31K)

This first paragraph is literally correct. Musicians in this thread must be laughing their asses off at all of the autistic misinformation in this thread. Every day Yea Forums makes it clearer and clearer they don’t know shit about music

ALL BEATS ARE STRONG BEATS

Attached: scary_buff_drummer_by_pleggs_d1ht9g6-fullview.jpg (800x496, 67K)

think of it like how fractions work. 4/4 and 8/8 are the same because they both mathematically equal 1. 2/4 and 4/8 are the same but are different from the first two, since they equal 0.5. it becomes more obviously different when the ending fraction isn't an integer power of 2, like with 3/4 and 5/4, which have triple and quintuple meters instead of duple meters

wrong

yes, but it's easier than explaining what's really going on in a five paragraph post that's just going to be misunderstood anyway. read the thread; all the correct anons are being yelled at by autists who suffer the Dunning Kruger Effect

you shan't be an exception
HAHHAHAHAHAH FAGGOTFAGGOT HOMO CHILD RAPIST
>being wrong
>being wrong
>being wrong
for what purpose
none, you live and post for no reason

um, guys, can someone help, I can't tell if this comment breaks global rule 6 or not

what's the point of odd meters like 7/4, why not split it into several bars like 4/4 ->3/4?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 56K)

>changing the time signature every other bar
hideous

can someone tell me the time signature of a beat in 16th notes that goes:

strong strong weak strong
strong weak strong strong
weak weak strong weak
weak weak strong strong

you don't need to write out the change every bar you can just say 4/4 3/4 at the start
dis some hypermeasure tala shieee

Attached: Alternating_time_signatures2.gif (529x113, 5K)

High school music teacher here, yes, music can be read on a stave exactly the same without a time signature, the time signature is just supposed to make it easier to read by giving the interpreter a feel of the piece when they play it.

3/4 is also an odd meter, why waste space on naming a time sig every bar when you could save space and just count to 7?
You guys are starting to mix up accented notes with the natural emphasis of a downbeat. Your example would be 4/4, it is very rare to break up measures by 1/16 notes because any piece 100 bpm or over is going to have relatively fast 1/16 notes

16/16
hideous

(Me)
also if you say 4/4 3/3 then it defaults to the tempo defining itself to the measures, not the beats, and it ends up feeling like 2/4 where the first beat is always sixteenths and the second is always triplets

Signatures that do not fit the usual duple or triple categories are called complex, asymmetric, irregular, unusual, or odd—though these are broad terms, and usually a more specific description is appropriate.[citation needed]
>hideous
that's not a picture of your face NOR your hideous "butt"
gottem

> (You)
meant for >3/3

Attached: aleksandr-rodchenko-pioneer-girl-1930-web.jpg (1200x1614, 325K)

>first line
good post
>second line
btfo
I can't tell what you're trying to do with the first three lines, but as for the last two, whoopsie. out of curiosity, are there any 3/3 pieces? I'd imagine that it'd be a measure divided into three triplet half notes

>are there any 3/3 pieces
Irrational time signatures (rarely, "non-dyadic time signatures") are used for so-called irrational bar lengths,[17] that have a denominator that is not a power of two (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.). These are based on beats expressed in terms of fractions of full beats in the prevailing tempo—for example 3
10 or 5
24.[17] For example, where 4
4 implies a bar construction of four quarter-parts of a whole note (i.e., four quarter notes), 4
3 implies a bar construction of four third-parts of it. These signatures are of utility only when juxtaposed with other signatures with varying denominators; a piece written entirely in 4
3, say, could be more legibly written out in 4

The only people who should care about sheet music are people sitting down playing a polite cuck instrument.
Men don't bother with that. They stand on stage with the whole set memorized.

>polite cuck instrument
>implying the piano isn't the most masculine thing you've ever seen

What ever you say.

Attached: liberace.jpg (631x800, 109K)

>one faggot plays an instrument
>automatically makes every other player a faggot
whatever you say

Is measuring basically bullshit? I can divide you kilotomer into decimeters meters millimeters centimeters and it's still the same exact shit.

generally yes, but the same way that writing the blueprint for a small house in kilometers will annoy and confuse the builders, writing sheet music with phrases that don't match the time signature will annoy and confuse the musicians

Who cares about the musicians. The only people playing your compositions should be you and only you.
If people want to copy, they can reverse engineer.

what if I divide a kilometer into every 8 meters, and say that those 8 meters should repeat every 24 meters? then does it become bullshit?

Can't tell if you're joking or an absolute mongol

I am both. I do not understand music theory at all. I am musically inept.

Oh ok. If you're interested in music by the way, you just need to practice and learn the basics first

What basics? Circle of fifths? Modes? I just want to fucking jam, dude.

>all these people posting hot opinions about music theory instead of practicing

Well the basics of your instrument for example, or the basics of theory like chords and stuff. Don't need a lot of theoretical knowledge in the end.

nice loop
10/10

how is thread still here

why are you

Because we won the war

phở Đát thêt

ITT: people who know very little about how to make music debating people who know even less

>chords and stuff
suck my dick
You're the one calling me a mongol? lol

lol

Based thread, we should reset music theory

>just strum sum chords XD
Inhale your reed.

fine then, keep making your shitty "beats" without even the slightest hint of theoretical knowledge

who are you quoting

I don't do beats. I do detuned noise.

Sohow do you make music?

rude

gravity?
metabolism?
gods plan?
dunno

>and it's still the same exact shit
It's not the same shit

1/2 = 2/4

mathematics says it's true

Stupid.

Doesn't even matter. Just feel it out.

3/4= ONE two ONE two ONE two
(Bar is divided in 3 groups of 2 eight notes)
6/8= ONE two three ONE two three
(Bar is divided in 2 groups of 3 eight notes)
Eazy

music isn't math you daft cunt