Why is this album always recommended for getting into jazz...

why is this album always recommended for getting into jazz? it just sounds boring and generic unless you're already acquainted with the genre enough to notice how great the playing is

Attached: kind of blue.jpg (1499x1500, 323K)

It acts as a triple pleb filter.

fucking huh?

>boring and generic

That's why it's entry level and recommended to people first getting into the genre. If we recommended Albert Ayler to start then it would scare people off.

it's a good fit for someone who is used to listening to rock

If you didn’t notice almost all the entry level albums are boring and generic.

whT THE actual fuck is wrong with you people? its a legit great album.

It’s pretty chill and nice to listen in a background while working

Coltrane's spiritual stuff is too hard for hip hop listeners

fpbp

Because it took influence from what came before it and influenced everything that came after it.

I mean is boring. Where is the Avant-garde jazz? Can you'all rec?

that's birth of the cool you're talking about

To be honest the most interesting stuff to come out of jazz is 60's and 70's post-bop and free jazz.

>That's why it's entry level and recommended to people first getting into the genre
"damn this supposed masterpiece just sounds like any other background jazz, I guess this genre is boring after all..."
shouldn't that be something jazzrocky with guitar, like maybe Sharrock's Ask the Ages?
the other albums from the meme trinity, A Love Supreme and Black Saint both evoke strong emotions, are passionate and immediately grab your attention
not saying that makes them better than Kind of Blue, just that it makes them more immediately interesting to a newcomer

But its not generic. Its difficult to find albums that sound just like it let alone contempraneous ones. Its just peoples stereotype of how jazz sounds because people likely have heard stuff off this before they even become aquainted with jazz. Coz its already so popular its already in peoples expectations of how jazz sounds. But its not generic at all. Boring maybe.

Unfortunately, normalfags think all jazz is smooth jazz(i.e. not jazz(note: I'm not calling Kind of Blue smooth jazz or a bad album)) and have an irrational fear of abrasiveness and the blues. Listen to pic related instead. Le epic reddit saxman maymay is a plague upon the image of jazz.

Attached: R-853177-1291541831.jpeg.jpg (350x350, 44K)

In A Silent Way and On The Corner are definitely infinitely superior.

Where do you start with Ayler?

I'd like to know as well
spiritual unity seems to be his most hyped album, and I kinda like it, but I wish his drummer did something outside of molesting the cymbals

KoB is pretty accessbile and a good intro into three great discogs (miles, trane, evans)

this album is a lot more exciting if you listen to jazz from before this album and understand music theory

Someone like Art Blakey is much better to this ends though.

And Max Roach.

I think A Love Supreme is actually the best album to into jazz. It's got versatile styles in each track, can appeal to rockists (jones' drumming especially), and the catchy as fuck recurring motif. The tracks may run a little long but it's something to get used to in jazz

Ascension and Dark Magus are kind of hard sells for the uninitiated

I don’t think you have to be acquainted with jazz to hear how great the playing is either. “Boring” and “generic” are also reaches...

yeah that was the first jazz album I truly loved
the first part is such a catchy introduction, and it gets so beautifully emotional later on

Same here. The intro to pt III made the rockist inside of me orgasm

the drumming on part 3 is unreal

You’re wrong. The solos on So What are so engaging, passionate, and emotional

Kind of Blue is the album that truly made jazz click for me. Before it I'd heard John Coltrane's A Love Supreme, which could be powerful, Ornette Coleman's This is Our Music, which was cool, and Fela Kuti, which was interesting. But while those albums were good, it still felt like jazz wasn't really my music, because I didn't connect with it on an emotional level like I did with rock music. I'd also heard Davis' Bitches Brew and Sun Ra, but those didn't connect with me at all.

Kind of Blue sort of spelled it out for me. It was late at night, and the way the first song creeps in and grows is really powerful. Suddenly it hit me as hard as any rock, classical, folk, or electronic music ever had. After that I started digging through other bebop to see what clicked. Charles Mingus' Mingus Ah Um and Blues & Roots were really powerful, but Let My Children Hear Music is what really blew my mind, and it's still one of my favorite albums ever. The early stuff with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers is great. Lee Morgan's The Sidewinder is awesome. All of Wayne Shorter's stuff is good. Pete La Roca's Basra is incredible. I also really like Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain. For newer stuff, Jaimeo Brown Transcendence is fantastic. Mal Waldron's stuff is also really good. I also really like Django Reinhardt, which is swing era but has all the passion and creativity of bebop. Sonny Rollins is my next big to-do.

Welcome to jazz my friend

you guys need to
A u g m e n t

Attached: Night Lights.png (600x600, 662K)

Not sure how acquainted you are with Jazz but McCoy Tyner's The Real McCoy hasa similar lineup but with Joe Henderson in place of Coltrane and a different bassist. Would highly recommend

bebop is very different than most of those artists. imo it is more restrictive and gets very repetetive with the structure/solos.

This. It sounds generic because everyone's been ripping it off since it came out.

No. I did list a couple avant-garde albums, a free jazz album, and a couple third stream albums, but aside from that literally everything else is hard bop, bebop, or post-bop.

Marvin Gay is the real intro

yeah I've listened to that one, McCoy and Jones make every album they're on at the very least good

especially in rock music. this is usually the rock babby's first jazz music because of how it influenced rock music. that's why the jazz plebs love this album. as you get into jazz, it starts to lose its luster and you think it's overrated, but as you listen to more and more jazz you realize just how big of a game changer it was and you think it's a masterpiece again

I wouldn't call anything that ends with "bop" a subgenre of bebop. No way you can compare Andrew Hill to Bud Powell

I agree on all points.

Post-Bop isn't a subgenre of bebop, but it is bebop-related. Hard Bop IS a subgenre of bebop. Saying Art Blakey and his cohort (Lee Morgan, etc.) aren't bebop is like saying the Sex Pistols aren't punk or Black Sabbath isn't metal.

Someone played Kind of Blue at the dive bar in my town last month.
Album is normie af.