Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hLKIfHZPdjM
youtube.com/watch?v=MrqhQ2n_Sjw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shoegaze is just bad

pleb brainlets

What's so post-punk about it?

psychedelic music tries to be psychedelic
obviously some bands crossover but for the most part dude weed is not the objective for shoegaze

>dude weed is not the objective for the subgenre of neo-psychedelia

I don’t get this comic

I'm not OP, but maybe the fact that it came directly from post-punk?

Read the words slowly.

Punk is just blues for faggots.

Shoegaze is just alt rock filtered through layers of noise to give it a nostalgic feel. Literally just proto vaporwave gimmick music.

Not really, the transition was more like post-punk -> dream-pop -> shoegaze, so saying this is like saying that post-punk itself is just more passive rock-'n'-roll. Plus, the bands from which dream-pop evolved weren't very much post-punk too, like, there is absolutely no any punk attitude on the Echo & The Bunnymen or Cocteau Twins albums, for instance. The only thing why they are bonded with other post-punk bands is because they have that dark, 'gothic' sound, but that's not what defines a post-punk band. So, transition was even more like post-punk -> gothic rock -> dream-pop -> shoegaze, which makes OP even more incorrect

kevin didn’t use a bunch of layered guitars overdubs though, he said himself.
the swooshing, muddled qualities from loveless are mostly from the
sampler

this is a very 2009 looking comic

neo-psychedelia was already a subgenre back in the 80s

it is also terrible

More like 2014.

came here to post this

you just named a post-punk band and a
a band that started as goth you fucking idiot. shoegaze was heavily influenced by post-punk you queer

>you just named a post-punk band
Read my post again, Echo & The Bunnymen are barely post-punk. They neither have DIY nor anxious attitudes, and the primary criteria of defining whether the band is post-punk or not is having these exact qualities but applied to more complex music forms than straight up punk, you know, like Pere Ubu or Gang Of Four did. Not every band that sounds dark and/or relies on bass automatically becomes post-punk. And as for Cocteau Twins, listen to their early output you fucking mongoloid, that's exactly what gothic rock is

Siouxsie & The Banshees. Literally EVERY shoegaze band points back to them. Cocteau Twins, Jesus & Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, and Slowdive all cite them as an influence and half of those bands started as post-punk bands themselves.

not gonna read this, you faggot kys

Only their first album can hardly be categorised as post-punk, everything else by them is gothic rock

It’s espresso dream pop

>Join Hands is not a post-punk album
This is news to me.

I've defined my terms in

nobody cares, you are still wrong

Ok

>Echo & The Bunnymen are barely post-punk. They neither have DIY nor anxious attitudes
It's true that they weren't really post-punk, they were going for more of a psychedelic thing. But you're wrong about the "DIY nor anxious attitudes thing". This was their debut release from before they even had a drummer.

youtube.com/watch?v=hLKIfHZPdjM

Well, this one does sound like punk distantly, although they are still quite far from being really anxious. But yeah, that's definitely the most post-punkish release they had, everything onwards was just neo-psychedelia

>they are still quite far from being really anxious
idk i get a really ominous feeling listening to pictures on my wall and i could list more examples from their catalog that i think have a similar feel. and their psychedelic sensibilities were always present even on this song. i dont like the doors that much but i love echo & the bunnymen and imo its pretty apparent that their music owed a lot to the doors brand of psychedelia.

maybe but its easy to associate with mbv with postpunk because their first releases were just the cramps/birthday party worship. kevin even chose a fender jag because it's what rowland howard used.
youtube.com/watch?v=MrqhQ2n_Sjw

This is the correct opinion.