/prod/ - music production general

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last thread:

Attached: fig0yXj.jpg (885x886, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3HDn
instaud.io/3HBO
instaud.io/3HC3
instaud.io/3HC4
instaud.io/3HDr
youtube.com/watch?v=BzNNbwLdUQQ
gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/show
instaud.io/private/2bd24ecfb2b0508b9e1ced45c184d7df79f220d5
freesound.org/people/Anton/sounds/337/
freesound.org/people/hello_flowers/sounds/27337/
freesound.org/people/plagasul/sounds/87/
freesound.org/people/Anton/sounds/37/
freesound.org/people/Jovica/sounds/7337/
freesound.org/people/stk/sounds/8782/
vocaroo.com/i/s0ZRQuks7QYF
instaud.io/3G5M
youtube.com/watch?v=rRBtOvYfX_M
youtube.com/watch?v=JSyeT8ik6NM
youtube.com/watch?v=_vcfFogzcgE
youtube.com/watch?v=4aQBkCrpWOg
youtube.com/watch?v=7go-2MMeILY
youtube.com/watch?v=9Qmwsg2pyEc
youtube.com/watch?v=O9Zl4hyIgB4
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1X0WR-bp-zwMkZ4ZGZNTkVKcEU/view
instaud.io/3HKH
youtube.com/mjcrecordingsaudio
cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417339628186632212/580392004182081566/VID-20190521-WA0009.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=uFNLOO7Fppk
instaud.io/3HOH
instaud.io/3HPE
instaud.io/3HQC
instaud.io/3D3c
instaud.io/3HRE
clyp.it/krbfefry
clyp.it/lo3woq5o
community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Zippyshare-blocked/td-p/1620259
instaud.io/3HU7
instaud.io/3HWq
clyp.it/l5nrxwoy
instaud.io/3HXw
youtube.com/watch?v=XzLirKKqpfg
youtube.com/watch?v=9kaR-yi76Xw
instaud.io/3HXW
instaud.io/3HXO
instaud.io/3HRb
drive.google.com/file/d/1n24F_Npuf1se4v1wPUsYWXppJCPVG5Ax/view
youtube.com/watch?v=oqh9-IfdCpk
instaud.io/3HZx
clyp.it/fv04oq5n
clyp.it/rnmfnn2l
instaud.io/3I2k
clyp.it/qnea5o0p
instaud.io/3I82
instaud.io/3I8u
instaud.io/3I9i
instaud.io/3Ia9
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>on a weekday when Burgers are working
Bold move, think it'll pan out?

Attached: 1541565314456.jpg (491x960, 127K)

instaud.io/3HDn
this isn't nearly done or anything. I think the plucked strings sound a little cheesy though
cute pic

that sounds really nice... I like the moment when the flute comes in... I think the piano chords and the rhodes are a bit too loud though... everything else sounds fine, no harsh voiceleading or wrong notes

I'm working on this for a while now... I'm really struggling with the mix though

instaud.io/3HBO
instaud.io/3HC3
instaud.io/3HC4

>on a website full of neets and college kids
you realize not everybody lives the exact same life and the board doesn't come to a halt like that? What a stupid comment.... and reddit tier picture

instaud.io/3HDr

Attached: 589fc3ad0077e745dd8c9b2688a0442d.jpg (700x1300, 39K)

>instaud.io/3HBO
>instaud.io/3HC3
>instaud.io/3HC4
Your sound selection/design is very basic (sounds like you're just using default presets from a casio keyboard or something) so I suggest getting better virtual instruments (I assume you're not actually using keyboard presets).
What DAW or software are you using?

The composition though is nice. Did you go by ear or you're using theory that you've studied?

thanks for feedback. I have Ableton and the Arturia synth collection and just use synth sounds that I like, some of them I just sampled and worked with the Simpler from there. Sadly I suck at sound design, often I hear that it sounds harsh, but I don't have the means to make it better.
I made the composition by ear, but music theory certainly helps a lot to find the flaw quickly when something sounds off

>t. triggered eurofag

Attached: prod remix chart final.png (1800x3883, 817K)

How do i make anime sounding music? Any tips

Attached: 19828764618.png (522x472, 47K)

What kind of anime sounding? Like the nu-metal anime intros or just some kawaii pop/bass stuff?

The latter

>thanks for feedback. I have Ableton and the Arturia synth collection and just use synth sounds that I like, some of them I just sampled and worked with the Simpler from there. Sadly I suck at sound design, often I hear that it sounds harsh, but I don't have the means to make it better.
Yeah, using something like the Arturia collection is a double edged sword because you can get accurate sounds from instruments that have made the history of music (so you can evoke the right vibe for the era you want), but when you use them in a normal production (meaning something that's not supposed to recreate music from any era) they can sound a bit basic and outdated.
If you have a lot of space on your computer, I suggest getting Kontakt libraries instead.
They allow you to have all kinds of high quality sounds without having to learn sound design.
Otherwise you can get more modern synths that aren't emulations of older instruments.
Serum in particular has a shitton of preset packs coming out every single day, so you know you'll have all your bases covered.

>I made the composition by ear, but music theory certainly helps a lot to find the flaw quickly when something sounds off
Cool, where did you learn it?
Did you go to a real school or you used something like youtube tutorials?

Never tried myself but Miruku has a bunch of tutorials for things like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=BzNNbwLdUQQ

Drake type beat

instaud.io/3HDr

problem is that my computer sucks, it's actually just a laptop... that's why I sample the sounds and work with the Simpler in the first place... I think I could get really nice sounds out of the Arturia vsts if I knew what I was doing... maybe I'll check out Serum,too

>Did you go to a real school or you used something like youtube tutorials?
I just like to read about it and analyze stuff that I like or I read analyses, if they exist. Rock/Pop music when I was younger, then Jazz, now mostly classical music...I think that's the most efficient way, just learn with the stuff you like, that way you'll automatically develop your own style

Renoise offers sampling VSTs but it might be a little more obtuse if you are used to the pianoroll

Sure, if you learn sound design you can easily use the Arturia synths to make cool sounds.
You can do the Syntorial program to learn how synths work.

Open this with your torrent client to download Syntorial:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:41cc5dd2349f4a2dab0adabfffbf28859cca0b05&dn=Syntorial%201.6.401%20Full%20(All%20Lesson%20Packs)&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.uw0.xyz%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.kamigami.org%3a2710%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3a6969&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce

Are you the /classical/ poster?

who is "the /classical/ poster"? I post there frequently, but not my music so far

A guy whose initials are HD.

no that's not me

Oh...

Can you pretend to be him though?

sure, if you tell me what I have to do

You just have to respond yes to this question :)

yes,sir

Cool.
Nice seeing you again man.

pee pee (very soft)

Meme of the day

Attached: some times it just gets out of hand [resized].png (1000x1004, 428K)

>zoomer ""memes""

Attached: bitching like a bitch.png (600x449, 611K)

Synth1 is really all you need

synth1 is rubber capable it's true

Couple of threads back i tried that sampling challenge thing, added a bit more to the track today. Won't touch it any more. From what I remember I only got 6 samples from my roll. Was kinda fun to do.

instaud.io/private/2bd24ecfb2b0508b9e1ced45c184d7df79f220d5

That's cool.
Which samples did you get?

what kind of sounds should i /sounddesign/ right now?

my head is ~~~ and I feel depression coming on pls give me distraction

Attached: 2ae3e3af043f414f2900c09a42d62125ae8f5ca5278e7a22902528dcfc38a653.gif (350x464, 301K)

some random saw wave, a shitty break, and some lowpass ambience. I'll just post links to them. The last 2 I just used as impulse responses.

freesound.org/people/Anton/sounds/337/
freesound.org/people/hello_flowers/sounds/27337/
freesound.org/people/plagasul/sounds/87/
freesound.org/people/Anton/sounds/37/
freesound.org/people/Jovica/sounds/7337/
freesound.org/people/stk/sounds/8782/

post the fingerspin

Nice.
Good work user.

new to prod, is remix monday a thing? are we doing this?

Thank you.

post example i don't know what that sounds like :^(

it's not a thing and every attempt at somebody forcing challenges or remixes fails miserably, it's not a thing

It only happened once but this general tends to have very little participation, so it went pathetically bad.
Feel free to do it yourself if you want though.

Attached: it was 100% predictable.png (904x1290, 1.78M)

Hook me up on some books on how to write good melodies. As of now, I just take stuff from classical music and can it citation.

"The Addiction Formula" by Friedemann Findeisen

Kawaii Bass --or-- Kawaii Future Bass are the phrases to look for :3
I want to make this stuff too!
I finally gave up on my Dreams remix. I'm sorry.

Emulate some old casiotones

how's the intonation?
vocaroo.com/i/s0ZRQuks7QYF

>record the daw's click from the headphones into the microphone
>get this enormous delay
holy fuck, it's supposed to compensate automatically.

Attached: Screenshot_51.jpg (524x214, 13K)

link examples and i may later
sounds more like something you'd just use a sample/emulating-synth for, i meant more like specific sounds or types of... functional sounds, that's too broad lol

a musical saw excited with a metal stick.

If you want to do it I'll make a track too. It's easier than coming up with original material.

>finally get daw to record midi output from maschine
>recreate setup on a new project to save as a template
>doesn't work again

Attached: 1488489496195.jpg (322x348, 32K)

instaud.io/3G5M

Posted this few threads ago, got no feedback. I'm mostly concerned about the sounds I'm using, as well as any harshness I might not be able to detect (equipment is shit). General feedback is also welcome and so are opinions.

turn up the pad in the bg, it sounds more interesting than anything else in the song. Remove a lot of those crashes (the one near the end clips kinda badly too) I don't think the synth that comes in with that end crash fits at all, especially since its just for a buildup and not used for anything else. I'm also not a fan of the synth that comes in at 1:30. Could stick to the piano you had going before just fine.

At least that's what I would do personally.

oh one more thing to add to my post, I actually like the reverse crash at 0:20 and the way it cuts into the song. Reminds me a little of flashbulb. But thats the only crash i like in that song.

that would take like ten seconds
YOU ARE USELESS

I plan to add vocals so the pad's level is with that in mind. Could raise it in the meantime but its kinda pointless.
I'm also not a fan of the lead synth but a plain piano sounds kinda empty, not too sure what to do about it. I'll work on the other things. Thanks.

>but a plain piano sounds kinda empty
then add another layer to your composition, another instrument or just a lower/higher octave pattern. It's not the piano's fault that its empty.

It does have a piano, bells and a synth going at the same time. I wanted to use something with more sustain. I'll experiment with other sounds. I normally layer a celesta, a piano and a pad for that but if I do that I'm not learning anything new.

I've been watching some YouTube tutorials and sometimes they'll program a note that is clearly a halfstep away from sounding decent but they never fix it and it drives me fucking crazy. Do these guys really not hear shit like this? Fucking 200k+ views too.
Are you going for a mid/late 90's indie alt rock vibe? ...because that's what I'm feeling. Could be cool once you add vocals.

Some of my biggest influences are punk and synthpop, so it might sound similar due to common influences, but I'm not going for any vibe in particular.

Most popular tutorials have kids who dont really know anything and wanna make dubstep or trap beats as a target audience, which results in mistakes like that not mattering much. Also there's an ocean of awful tutorials in youtube with shitty tricks and thousands of views, so its not a great indicator of quality.

how do I make music like Kero Kero Bonito

Attached: dMjmXfj.jpg (2480x2480, 621K)

Like this
youtube.com/watch?v=rRBtOvYfX_M
?

any tips for making dark somber melodies?

one of post malones songs does this and it has a bajillion views

No like this

youtube.com/watch?v=JSyeT8ik6NM
youtube.com/watch?v=_vcfFogzcgE
youtube.com/watch?v=7go-2MMeILY
youtube.com/watch?v=9Qmwsg2pyEc
youtube.com/watch?v=O9Zl4hyIgB4

Which Post Malone song?

>ADW
>download classic drum machine sounds
>use le quicky retro synths
play by hand and play major happy shit lol

GOD DAMN I AM THROBBING FOR THAT TWINK
...Sarah is alright too I guess

congratulations bassline is like a semitone off but im pretty sure its intentional

Is this vague advice or am I retarded? What do you mean by "play by hand", and do you have any suggestions for retro synth VSTs?

It really doesn't matter as long as it sounds good

i'm like 50% sure i've given you more detailed advice before about this exact same thing so I chose not to repeat myself; I replied again mostly to proclaim my desire for the twink and also in case you happened to forget/ignore it.

... nothing vague about playing by hand lol
QuIRkY=Somewhat exagerated human feeling and a lot of chord substitutions usually.
See also: Gorillaz

fucking literally just download this
i've said the same thing multiple times and never linked it because as to not spoonfeed you so much but fuck it
drive.google.com/file/d/0B1X0WR-bp-zwMkZ4ZGZNTkVKcEU/view

I have a more complete collection of drum machine samples that's further organize but fuck you I spent hours organizing that shit.
The caveat, of course, is that you have to mix it yourself.... maybe that's why I didn't link before

I don't use specific retro synths because i'm not a faggot
... if on the offchance you have reaktor and you never mentioned it there are quite a few emulations in the user library, that's all I use for it

Tal u-no lx(?) is generally liked but sucks imo
OBXD is kind of cool but not so flexible... imo. others love it lol
Superwave is a... jp8000 emulation i think? Sounds good, haven't used it extensively yet
Dexed is also popular but again, I hate it... well for more serious FM. i've heard it sound great actually but idk if it's really kkb appropriate

fucking google it, there's are like 100s of lists of TOP ANALOG VSTS LMAO

bump

you cater too kindly to retards. They prob won't even make 8 bars

i mean i'm here all fucking day just making music and hoping somebody posts something here that interests me

...might as well throw a bone every once in a while

Attached: DCIM_0561.jpg (4048x3036, 1.48M)

instaud.io/3HKH

okay i can hear you downloaded them but it doesn't make a difference if you just do the same fucking thing making trap beats and shit dude

It was a test to see if I could get the melodic elements down. It needs more work. And I didn't download the drums from the Google Drive, these are drums someone linked in the last thread from a Roland S770.

I've figured out drum patterns at this point, its the composition and structuring that completely fuck me up.

>enormous
how many actual samples/milliseconds is that brochinksy?

although I appreciate the level-headed message of your labels, I find that gear inspires me to work and do things in different ways, and the materialism of it distracts me from all my pain

Attached: 2302_1279317553191.png (344x341, 8K)

>Roland S770.
also in there

>I've figured out drum patterns at this point
yeah not trying to be an ass but you really weren't close

>yeah not trying to be an ass but you really weren't close
I was making a trap beat on purpose ya dingus

bad drums u dingy
2 many snare clap... snare clap. ughhh fuck

oh you mean like the extraneous elements
yeah I guess I need to work on that I'm not good at placing percs

how to write basslines please. everything i do sounds goofy

The point is that it doesn't.

well, I don't have a lot of money so lusting over gear can only be detrimental for me.

That's fair enough... I guess. Sadly I'm a bit of a gearÆ’ag myself but for me it's all part of the hobby

Do you make music for a living or you only do it for the fun?
Also, what kind of gear are we talking about?
Are you a keyboard collector? do you sell plasma for Eurorack modules? Outboard effects? Pedals?

idk i thought /prod/ would know by looking at the soundwaves. ill do it again and measure the samples right now.

so about 111 samples (48khz) or 2ms

Attached: Screenshot_52.jpg (1209x243, 45K)

Not him but you'd have to know the frequency of that wave and calculate the distance accordingly, which is basically impossible to do with any accuracy from a screenshot.
Much easier to just ask you to read the number on your screen.

is that actually your gear? btw heres mine.

Attached: 20190521_081820.jpg (5312x2988, 3.24M)

I used to be a professional audio engineer (working in commercial studios but also doing various work from the home studio). I also used to have time to write/record my own music but over the years I got more and more into the /diy/ aspect of gear... buying/refurbishing/selling or just doing it for the fun of it. I never really spent a lot of money on gear but collected tons of stuff for cheep. Mics, amp cabinets, a couple old organs, etc. My real recording efforts these days are mobile field recording, which involves just a few pieces of gear at a time (various types of mics and recording rigs, contact mics, etc). Never got into synths actually...

that's actually quite good, i.e. not too bad. now, to be a purist it should be better (generally around 1ms is considered fine) but almost all the time 2ms is fine as well... it just isn't at the standard of a fully professional studio/hardware which is either effectively zero or less than 1ms at most. whatcanyado man

Attached: IMGP2301.jpg (2048x1355, 1.03M)

>that display

Attached: DhXTUX-VAAAjOkK.jpg large.jpg (750x562, 42K)

>read the number on your screen
i had to stick the marker on the beginning and on the end of the selection and subtract the difference

>that's actually quite good, i.e. not too bad. now, to be a purist it should be better (generally around 1ms is considered fine) but almost all the time 2ms is fine as well... it just isn't at the standard of a fully professional studio/hardware which is either effectively zero or less than 1ms at most. whatcanyado man
is there a way to fix that permanently or do i always have to stick the mic near the monitoring headphones by the end of each take to measure the delay so i can cut it off?

?? it's a regular computer screen.

>but over the years I got more and more into the /diy/ aspect of gear... buying/refurbishing/selling or just doing it for the fun of it. I never really spent a lot of money on gear but collected tons of stuff for cheep. Mics, amp cabinets, a couple old organs, etc.
What do you do with it if you don't record your own music?
Do you use it for your normal work of engineer on other people's music, or is it more like a collector thing?

>My real recording efforts these days are mobile field recording, which involves just a few pieces of gear at a time (various types of mics and recording rigs, contact mics, etc). Never got into synths actually...
Nice.
What do you do with the recordings?

>is there a way to fix that permanently
Dunno, it would depend on the software. It's probably doing a ton of delay compensation (could easily be 10ms or more) and it's getting it down to 2ms. I would suggest seeing how everything works without fussing with it (for vocals and most human performances 2ms won't be noticeable) but if it is a problem and you're a purist you can slide the tracks back manually. I wouldn't measure it each time, should be stable AD/DA delay and the same everytime. Again, not depends on the software and possibly when you have a big project it could get worse, but I doubt it. It's more to do with the hardware than the software.

>?? it's a regular computer screen.
Its brand is AOC, which are also the initials of a controversial American politician (the woman in the picture).

>i had to stick the marker on the beginning and on the end of the selection and subtract the difference
Ah sorry, I thought Reaper had a way to see the distance between two points

Well I've since changed careers altogether so now it's just a collection and a side hobby to tinker with it all. I still have aspirations to do sound design or film music or maybe even some bizarre album someday but who knows. Either way it's my stuff and I like it all too much to just get rid of it. Also, I've moved countries so it's all 10k miles away in storage now anyway, except a couple cases of field recording gear I brought with me.

I just upload them to youtube for people to enjoy. It's kind of like my version of instagram or flickr or whatever, just for sound.

youtube.com/mjcrecordingsaudio

Attached: lg.jpg (634x634, 39K)

i think it does but you can't choose the meter, it's always in measures or seconds idr.

Hey lads, I have a Synth and wanna get into Producing

So I was wondering if any of you could recommend me which DAW to torrent?
I'd like something simple to begin with but I'll go with whatever you believe it's worth

Thanks in advance friends

Attached: 1417028914822.png (1600x1000, 402K)

That's really cool user, thanks for sharing.

Thanks friend, I enjoy it. It combines my favorite things, Yea Forums, /diy/, and /out/

Ableton

Definitely Ableton.
Get it from AudioZ if you want to be sure.
It's slower (uses filesharing sites) but it's the safest and most trustworthy.

I'm doing this all day fuck yeah. No pain no gain. cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/417339628186632212/580392004182081566/VID-20190521-WA0009.mp4

Is that jenkem?

No it's water

Depends on your genre, easiest is always do 8th or 16ths of the root of your current chord with a 4th or 5th thrown in for interest.
Octave jumps are OK too but reserve them for transitions unless you're making dance.

An old version of Reason.

youtube.com/watch?v=uFNLOO7Fppk

Relevant to some people here and Sammy.

anyone else tried the mercuriall metal zone emulation?
it became unresponsive on ableton after switching on high quality

Attached: free_stuff_mta[1].png (374x535, 69K)

Meme of the day

Attached: scared dawlets.png (778x720, 947K)

hi
can you review this and provide help?
instaud.io/3HOH

I was going to classify it as dungeon moombahton but it's way too dissonant even for that, make sure that every element is in the same key before writing random melodies

Are you sure?
All the data seems to suggest that it is.

hows this
instaud.io/3HPE

Can you rec me some VST or hardware synths (I'll try to find samples later) that delivers a good choir sound? I can't find anything decent for the life of me. I make synthpop/indus/goth shit, so I don't want to use prestine kontakt libraries, I still want to retain that old sampler roughness.

why would anyone want to use that piece of shit of a pedal?

>PC fans aren't very loud but they get picked up by my SM57/58 even when they're facing away from it
>only option is to switch to liquid cooling or to spend $1000 on a laptop to replace it
>want to spend the money on a large diaphragm mic and a new audio interface
What do? The room is too small to just move further away. Is there a way I can shield the mics with something?

much better that mood change is great, sound design is still nonexistent

If you're using anything other than Pro Tools you're not a real producer. Enjoy your "Soundcloud career"

What data, retard?

Lower the gain on the interface so the quieter sounds i.e. computer noise don't get amplified much as the louder sounds

What LDC are you getting and why you want another interface

instaud.io/3HQC
which genre is this
how do i expand it

for the hundreth fucking fucking time lower your gain
compression raises your noise floor, stop raping everything

If you don't use a tracker you're a noob

What kind of choir? Surely there's mellotron samples around. Otherwise pulsewidth modulated square waves have formant qualities especially through chained bandpasses

I use dsk choirs sometimes, its solid and I think free. Kontakt is the best but if youre against it whatever. Also omnisphere comes with some solid vocal pads. You can always learn how to create vocal sounds with synths, its not that difficult, but with the aforementioned tools its not necessary most of the time.

Why not use the pristine ones and run them through plugins to dirty them up? There are plenty of things out there that'll mimic the AD/DA quirks of classic samplers.

You could build cardboard baffles for your fan outlets, buy quieter fans, or turn off uneccessary fans (everything but CPU). You could get a heavy curtain to hang between your case and mic.

if you want that specific mid 90s-2000s choir sound try a roland unit. the ones in roland cloud are great for that era's 'real instrument but not realistic' sounds. the d50, srx orchestra, sound canvas

fun bonus, you will inevitably find classic video game sound tracks in there as well as movie ost effects basically straight out of the box. composers used the shit out of those units

I tried to make a DnB-ish RPG fanfare track.

instaud.io/3D3c

Instead of using premade drum loops, I wanted to create the MIDI drum patterns from scratch instead, which has been something I've been meaning to improve on, so I'd definitely appreciate some feedback with that.

>t. boomer who doesn't understand the difference between traditional recording production and electronic music production.
Good luck making the latter with Po Tools.

RedOne uses Logic Pro.

Attached: RedOne_Grammys-.jpg (620x400, 54K)

>electronic music
ROFL

no bait pls these threads are dead anyway

Beat I'm currently working on. How does it sound so far?

instaud.io/3HRE

What do you guys think of this?

clyp.it/krbfefry

I like your setup!

This is insane bro, how did you make that bass, and what do you use for reverb

Why the hell do you think the gain knob on an interface is a compression knob?

The bass needs to hit a lot harder, drums are fine and the rpg feeling is evoked. I found that break a bit too drastic though.

those were separate statements, because i know you compress the shit out of everything

I fixed it up a bit

clyp.it/lo3woq5o

Listen to aphex twin
no you didnt

how do i achieve aphex twin sound design

Could somebody post a screenshot of how Zippyshare looks right now please?

idk work harder maybe?

are the drums ok

ye i quite like it

why? are you from europe? because in that case it's probably blocked

Working fine here in the US.

It's not blocked but it gives me a 403 error.

Thanks.

googled and just saw this, weird

community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Zippyshare-blocked/td-p/1620259

>it gives me a 403 error.
>it's not blocked
try a vpn or changing dns

instaud.io/3HU7

hello opinions on my techno pls and ty

Interesting.
Tried a VPN and it worked.
Seems like they're blocking my country or my IP/range.
I'll do some research.

Thank you very much.

THIS is what a chord progression is?

Attached: Screenshot (37).png (1366x768, 742K)

>techno
had to click

i mean you have the idea with the sounds but the groove is really lacking.... specifically listen to the play between your top percussion and that bass. You're actually overplaying the percussion quite a lot and it's taking away from the groove

whole mix is farty as shit

It's been months and I haven't seen the consequences of the new laws until today.... shit's fucked man

bro WHY

why what

Don't fucking start it dude pease delete this post.

trolling or absolutely fucking retarded, i'm not indulging this shit

what's the problem?

let's say I'm absolutely retarded.

Attached: prodocaust memorial.png (1416x2008, 3.59M)

Has anyone found a way to get your tracks on the YouTube Audio Library?

Attached: YouTube-Audio-Library-1.jpg (1140x700, 71K)

GOD I FUCKING HATE YOU STUPID FAGGOTS SO MUCH WHY CAN'T THERE JUST BE ONLY COOL ANONS HERE AND PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO MAKE MUSIC AND NOT BE DICKHEADS WHAT THE FUCK

Attached: 1521074522538.jpg (400x416, 9K)

What?
What did we do?

All I did was ask a question what are you talking about

>WHY CAN'T THERE JUST BE ONLY COOL ANONS HERE AND PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO MAKE MUSIC
The sad truth is that people who make electronic music tend to be mega normies, so there's very little overlap between the "producers" group and the "people who'd spend their time on Yea Forums" group.

bump

There's also the thing that most people that git gud stop coming here for feedback and find other communities that feature more in depth discussion or just dedicate their time online to shilling their soundclouds. The newfag/oldfag producer ratio leans heavily towards the first group.

True.
Also, once you get good you want people o recognize you, which is why the /prod/ Discord is full of people who used to come here but then moved on to the normier version.

Why does he wear the mask

Also everyone that wants to get spoonfed basics will never make it with 100% certainty

>two days without making anything worth saving
What do I do bros?

what actually happened to Demarcus?
And what happened to that dude who actually rapped over his beat?

Nigga I go for months. Shit happens. Just keep at it. Maybe go do stupid shit with your life for inspiration. It helps me to feel so bizarre that just words are not enough to express how it feels so I have to create some shitty art that represents it.

played sample roulette and got absolute dogshit, so I could only use them during the buildup. Take it brahs: instaud.io/3HWq

He posts incognito now but you can still tell it's him due to his style

Attached: still better than when he was using his clyp accounts.png (900x800, 1.08M)

Put the computer in a different room or record the mic in a different room.

clyp.it/l5nrxwoy

How's the production on this?

>somebody actually takes the time to make memes shitting on other anons
damn bro y u do him like that

Because it's funny.

Attached: wasted time on so many levels.png (640x622, 472K)

What exactly do you consider my "style"

I dunno why but it reminded me of my younger self listening to the strokes. I'd dip those nasal frequencies in your voice a bit. cool song but I'd mix it up a bit to avoid getting too repetitive or make it super repetitive with delays to hone in on the boredom theme

It's like choosing hip hop backingtrack 15 on a keyboard

not even him and I want to kill myself after this meme

Is it really that bad?
How about this one?

Attached: caught every time.png (640x951, 540K)

how many of these do you have?
are you making them on the fly?

Some times I do, but not ITT.
I have 17 more in my "to post" folder, and around 20 unused templates in my "to make" folder.

My dream is to have a youtuber post my track along with an image from pixie. How can I achieve this dream?

Make the blandest most trendy shit using Serum presets and pay a good engineer to mix it and master it for you.

i still don't understand what the fuck he does
how can anyone just not finish a song for that long unless they're straight up not trying wtf???

>shitty trap drum samples
>16th note high hats
>snare or snap etc playing confusingly off notes in a 1 or 2 bar loop
>clearly sampled 808 (dosn't match anything)
>"melody" that's in key and that's it
>complete random chords

Sounds about right. Thank you.
Now that reminds me of a legit question I have:
why do future bass producers lay out their drum hits as individual wave files in the arrangement view instead of loading the samples into a sampler?

instaud.io/3HXw

Attached: 1-2-hurts-just-a-little-bit.jpg (600x630, 35K)

Do these templates have potential or do you force yourself to come up with something?

this hurts even worse because those are actually nice chords and literally nothing matches with each other wtf

Are there any sites where I can pirate commercial Novation Circuit patches?

That's my favorite casio demo

what do you mean nothing matches
I wasn't sure what direction to go in with the drums I was trying to do something pop-ish

it's not just them, once you bounce everything to audio you have better control over the tails and it can also be helpful for layering different sounds

>i still don't understand what the fuck he does
>how can anyone just not finish a song for that long unless they're straight up not trying wtf???
IIRC he said he's suffered from severe depression and didn't have his shit together for a long time (hence pic related).

Also, he revealed himself to be one of the rubber sounds guys, which I'm pretty sure it's the original secret weapons poster, so he's probably spent his time making sounds instead of songs.

It explains how he's had so much time to shitpost here.

I look at a lot of memes, and when I see something that can work for /prod/ i save it in that folder. Otherwise I don't try to come up with something if the idea doesn't jump at me immediately.
I did go through a bunch of Cornella comics for this purpose though.

Attached: there's pros and cons to having a resident sperg.png (908x1293, 2.71M)

see >"melody" that's in key and that's it
meaning unrelated to the chords
and the trap drums are just like??? next to them

this isn't pop
like seriously dude, link a song that sounds anything like that and has similiar elements, nobody puts shit together like that because it doesn't "mesh"

>severe depression
okay that's much more understandable considering some of the other shit he's hinted at
... which shall remain unsaid because *anonymity*

good meme.

Thanks.

they are low effort but they're pretty good

Attached: oh_my.png (438x443, 285K)

>once you bounce
Yeah, but they're taking individual samples right from the start and just copy/pasting onto the timeline which seems like a pain in the ass. I feel like it would be easier to load them up in a sampler. Automate the sample and filters or whatever for flavor. When done, bounce to audio and fuck with it then to iron out the details, sure.
I guess this is why I'm a shit producer.
Good one. Red X Blue X.

then it's mostly autistic preferences I guess

Thank you.

>Red X Blue X
No idea what that means m8

>come to 4channel
>expect non-faggots

You brought this on yourself really.

Attached: gayboy berzerker.jpg (700x373, 69K)

>No idea what that means m8
I thought that was part of how Phaser fills out his schedule -- at least that's all I remembered from it. That and Seinfeld.

You write a musical idea that isn't particularly deep and then you repeat it like twice as long as I want to hear it.
Frequently when hearing your tracks I tab away because I get bored and then have to tab back later to see how much more there is because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Oh i don't know, I haven't read the whole thing.

I see myself as more of a smegma-crazy.

>meaning unrelated to the chords
How is it unrelated? I've been trying to make melodies using only the 1st 3rd and 5th notes of chords. It's not working out that well, but I'm trying.
>like seriously dude, link a song that sounds anything like that and has similiar elements, nobody puts shit together like that because it doesn't "mesh"
It's an (admittedly lackluster) attempt to make drums like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=XzLirKKqpfg
youtube.com/watch?v=9kaR-yi76Xw

yeah even if I do come up with something I consider good I have no idea how I should/can evolve it in a natural way
I don't want to do too much but I don't want to do too little

>I've been trying to make melodies using only
okay I am absolutely all for theory but that's not how you go about melodies dude.... that's too big a topic to tackle right now though

agaaaaaain literally just copy the beats and disect them
and agaaaain use different drum samples

huge part of why you're unhappy with what you're doing and why you sound like shit is completely inappropriate sound selection; that's not something that can be definitively taught though, more like you upload something with shitty sounds and you get berated for it with 1/50 anons telling you what's actually wrong. So yeah what the fuck business does that piano have in this song? And those chords? so not 80s dude. Where's the fucking dmx or alesis classic whatever the fuck snare. Don't use processed trap drums for this style fuckhead that's not retro
oh boy 49 more anons to go

im tryna be the next latin trap superstar my nigguhs, how did i do?
instaud.io/3HXW

instaud.io/3HXO
instaud.io/3HRb

fuckachordprogression :^)

Why are you mad and why do you keep bringing up the 80s
Kero Kero Bonito aren't an 80s band and I don't think they sound particularly 80s
And its still the same Roland S770 drum samples I used before, not trap samples

I want a midi controller, what do you recommend? highly considering to order pic related
also, tomorrow I'll be looking for alternatives at local stores, what features and details should I look for?

Attached: 81qndOQ3BQL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1003, 103K)

>instaud.io/3HXO
that shits sound shill as fuck, how long is your di my guy?

how high are you?

what the fuck

9inch boh

but for real, got soundcloud or bandcamp, your shit is dope

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 10.01.08 PM.png (1547x857, 1.23M)

Apple's Magic Keyboard

>Kero Kero Bonito aren't an 80s band and I don't think they sound particularly 80s

d u d e

Sorry I wasn't mad, and when I say things sound like shit I don't mean that as an attack on you personally etc

but mother hecker I have to restrain myself from responding because of shit that you say like that, I can't right now because i'm overhauling my library and backups atm....i can ramble for hours :(

quality is pretty much equal across the board in the low end market, with the exception of the smallest akai mpk option which tends to have more keys pop than others. Basically if you know the name you should be good, so pic related should be fine but google for reviews obviously first lol

bare basics imo are pitch/mod wheels and knobs.... and obviously a few buttons for play/stop etc. I have my extras set to (scene?) record in ableton and cycle scenes

I'm sorry, maybe I don't listen to enough music. And I know you weren't trying to attack me. I was a little offended/hurt at first but I knew I was being irrational which is why I took my time coming up with a response.

Listened to the first link, pretty dope. The mix is really good and everything is done well/ I have no real notes or anything as far as criticisms lol. Good job

drive.google.com/file/d/1n24F_Npuf1se4v1wPUsYWXppJCPVG5Ax/view

Looking for feedback on this one. Trying to use digital peaking. Ending is rough, so any ideas for that would be cool.

>Noisy pop punk
>Jeff Rosenstock, Weezer, PUP, Neutral Milk Hotel, etc

EQ that shit homeboy. I can hear what you’re trying to do and I like it, but everything sort of runs together and the chorus doesn’t have the dynamic it wants to have.

4 U Dimi!

youtube.com/watch?v=oqh9-IfdCpk

this is awesome, i might suggest dirtying up the vocals even more during the chorus (like layering a distorted track underneath?) and matching its reverb with the instrumentation (the vocals sound a lot wetter than the guitars, etc with headphones on). eq like user said, you can carve out unnecessary frequencies to make space for everything while keeping the noise style and also just generally to make your instruments pop. great stuff though, would save to my library on spotify.

The fuck, is this the Aussie Rebecca Black?

Hey anons. How can I make a virtual piano sound fucked up? I’m recording an album with all analog instruments except for organs. I have piano parts written and don’t have easy access to a real piano, so I’m considering just using my virtual one. I’m worried it won’t fit though if everything else is clearly analog.

4front piano vst :)

She's British-Japanese.

Thanks I’ll try it out.

>you will inevitably find classic video game sound tracks
Yeah, I used these vsts a little (but not that SRX Orchestra unit, I need to look further into it), it's great. And as you say it's fun to come across famous sounds in the sound canvas unit, I recognized many patches from final fantasy and konami stuff. Too bad roland pricing for it is ridiculous (I bet I can find one of these unit in hardware form at a cheaper price)

I tried the formant trick with a lot of reverb, but it won't do it.

>dsk choir
I tried this one too and I didn't like it, they just used wav files from the most common soundfonts file you can find, you can get better results using the same files with a good VST sampler.

I have one of these. I guess it's decent, but the keys could be better, it's just cheap plastic and you can really feel it when you press it. I would probably get an Arturia controller (or an Akai) if I could chose something else

instaud.io/3HRb
sounds good

This sounds like haunted house music with trap beats.

instaud.io/3HZx

Attached: 1554092721898.png (500x493, 458K)

Now that you mention it the chords do sound kind of fucking ominous

Wow holy fucking shit
I was trying to create something that sounds fun which is why the melody is like that but I somehow completely did not pay attention to/realize what my chords sounded like so the you've got 60s horror film overture chords and then a video game melody

And yeah the piano is totally out of place, it should by some synths or a pad or something

why do so many people on youtube tutorials do their percussion like this?
what is the benefit to this method compared with using drum racks or midi tracks with simpler?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 2.32.06 AM.png (2364x816, 325K)

I don't work like this either, but I think it gives you more control (or at least it's clearer) on the enveloppe of the sample.

What is pictured here? Played by hand or dragging samples manually?

Thanks for the fresh ears, man. You're def right. I made some adjustment to make the track more dynamic and did some EQing on the vocals

clyp.it/fv04oq5n

Anyone wanna let me know what they think?

dragging samples manually.

nevermind, scratch that one. Here's a revised version I think is a lot better, would love to hear some feedback

clyp.it/rnmfnn2l

A bit lighter on memory usage (important for laptop jockeys), easier to visualize, usually faster to drag samples right onto your sequencer than load them into a thing and then draw midi as well.

wouldnt things get messy if you forget to tune a drum properly or you decide to change samples?

Irrelevant for beatmakers

good don't do it again :^)

looks cooler, easier to see for viewer, they're retarded

idk man it's fucking annoying, like you can group in drumrack, i know you're not doing that shit for bus purposes.

true but you should bounce to audio after sequencing lol

it's absolutely not faster, it's all drums in one midi clip vs navigating several tracks.

>true but you should bounce to audio after sequencing lol
That's something I'm starting to do more because otherwise I never commit anything and I've serious trouble finishing tracks.
I think not everything should be bounced. What if you want to improvise some stuff live or whatever. Right now, I only do it for the rhythmic section, the fx and other stuff that are impossible for me to play by hand.

Other than the reasons already mentioned, it's so you can see exactly where the waveform is and know how and where its tail ends, as well as how it phases with the other samples.
Ideally by the time you've finished the track everything should be audio and nothing should be midi.

>What if you want to improvise some stuff live or whatever.
Yeah don't bounce without backups

within each project file is something like
Project 1.0 (no bounces)
1.1 effects, and ambience bounced
1.2 major elements bounced, more definitive mixes happening, adjust fades and chop tails reversed audio etc
1.3 Master

etc. can always go back. 2.0 and on can be alternate versions or remixes etc using all the same samples if you're into that

Interesting. I think I'll try that.

bump

no you won't

Attached: despondent_pepe.jpg (400x387, 81K)

the joke is on you, I just did

Attached: 440-4403000_can-i-get-some-poggers-in-the-chat.jpg (300x295, 51K)

felt like makin sum trap in lydian mode nothin special

instaud.io/3I2k

cringe

In Ableton, if I'm playing guitar on one channel with a virtual amp, and want it to have a different tone later on in the track, do I need to create a new channel for that new tone? Is the rule basically new sound = new channel?

t. noob

you can do that, but the slimmer way would be to use automation
>put another instance of the amp sim with the second sound, bypass the first one
>automate the bypass on each to switch back and forth for different song parts

Noice, thanks.

Attached: at last i truly see2.gif (144x144, 604K)

How to choose the right DAW?

pick any and stick with it till you're good at using it

>4 bar 808 loop
>repeats forever

Attached: 1554004703358.png (660x660, 93K)

Guys how do you compose and write a good song? I can improvise very well, i know advanced chord theory but somehow i can't compose a motherfucking song that sounds great. I know:

>inb4 if you have to ask you're not gonna make it

Analyse a song you like. If you can properly improvise that's half the effort done. After that comes matching the pieces.

Yeah it's easy to improvise complicated and long phrases but when it comes to making it as an actual melody there seems to be a gap. Gotta analyse som Frank Ocean songs then. Thanks.

go back to gearslutz

I was jwondering, what's the quickest way to bounce all your tracks in Ableton with that method? Just use the Export Audio/Video feaature?

>when your parents are complaining about the noise from your room while you're producing and they have to badly imiatate the thumping sound of your music

Attached: tumblr_pnplekQW3q1w1a92v_540.png (540x297, 162K)

What is advanced chord theory
I must know this secret

clyp.it/qnea5o0p

How's this?

stop posting these

instaud.io/3I82
does this sound good yet
how do i make it sound better

I used to be a jazz pianists which gives you an deep knowledge of harmonic structures. Obviously its just a word I use but chord voicings, coltrane changes, w. shorter harmonics, building chords from fourths McCoy style, freeing the bass notes etc.

does it sound good to you

save as to your new project
right click the desired tracks and freeze

if you're doing literally every track+sends yeah, just export all tracks

so what's wrong? just use what you know to build a composition.

why are you answering my questions with another question?
but, to tell you the truth, i think it sounds ok. it doesnt sound good but it also doesnt sound terrible

some parts sounds conflicting and I can't tell if it's the arrangement or just the mix
you could start by removing effects from some of the synths

your bass sounds like you're button mashing your keyboard
your melody lacks variation and has no rhythm

instaud.io/3I8u

>come up with a new idea
>it sounds like garbage
>try to fix it
>still sounds bad
>start getting headaches
Worst feeling

there's rhythm
prove me wrong

If your idea of creativity is a 10 minute uninspired meme, you should continue posting right here in this thread.

where? you're the composer, analyze your own music. you do know what you're writing, no?

i've done the analysis

do share

these midi notes, as indicated, show rhythm and variation

Attached: midi.png (1325x130, 25K)

your pic proves the opposite
keep working at it

wew lad it's music not an excel spreadsheet

Meme of the day.

That's not me, and no.

Attached: caught.png (1083x1541, 3.55M)

record you singing it please

Why is writing slow music so hard lads? Should I just start over or is there any way to salvage this?
instaud.io/3I9i

i think it's worth keeping.

instaud.io/3Ia9

lulz

new thread when!?

Rspond to this post so we reach the bump limit and I'll make a new one.

NEW THREAD: