Jazz

>Jazz
>Jazzy
>Jazz fusion

When did music adjectives become so meaningless? There's nothing jazzy about his record at all

It's mildly complex rock music

Attached: notatalljazzy.jpg (450x450, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_rock
allaboutjazz.com/frank-zappa-hot-rats-frank-zappa-by-trevor-maclaren.php
youtube.com/watch?v=IcPbmPM7epY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i think the songwriting form falls in with jazz tropes. one chord progression the entire time, head twice then solos then the head again.

imagine being this elitest

Are you retarded or just don't know what jazz is?

Do you really have to ask those questions

you have to be retarded to think the 80% of this pentatonic guitar shredding album is "jazz"

No, it's Jazz Fusion or Jazz Rock

Stop being dumb

>Jazz Fusion

that's pushing it

give an example of jazz fusion then

I don't know, Weather Report? Steely Dan?

Jazz fusion = complex harmony

Nah

Attached: Screenshot 2019-05-20 15.25.23.png (309x495, 91K)

oh shit. Wikipedia says so? then it must be

just like bloody Coldplay is "art rock"

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.30.46 PM.png (311x568, 179K)

Have you heard that album you just posted?

explain to me first of all:

A) what "art rock is" and B) why that album is art rock

or is it just another meaningless genre label

>Jazz fusion = complex harmony
That's literally not how the genre is defined but ok

Ooops you didn't answer my question! Try again? Or maybe you think you know about an album you've never heard?

PRO-TIP: Eno produced it.

There's nothing Jazzy about like 80% of the rock albums which attest a Jazzy influence.

You're retarded. I'm not OP, but I have certainly heard that album, and there is absolutely nothing 'art-rock' about it.

>Jazz fusion = complex harmony
Hehe

>. I'm not OP
When did I say you were?
>and there is absolutely nothing 'art-rock' about it.
Why not?

What is it then

jesus you're both gay
also animal collective is really good:

>jesus you're both gay
>also animal collective is really good:
Pot kettle black

art-rock is a pretty stupid term ngl

being a virgin must be hard

wow, a certain artist produced it?
so it must automatically fall into that genre label, then.

wow what rigorous criteria for a genre label

thank you

your stupid you gay faggot

Sounds like you pulled some random shit out of your ass, and now are having a tantrum when I called you out on it.

Weather or not you or I like Coldplay or not doesn't change the fact that Brian Eno produced it, and thus most likely forced some artistic sound design and recording techniques into the album. That is probably why it is listed as art rock

that's all I was waiting for, a simple explanation to what 'art rock' means

my broader point is that a lot of these 21st century genre labels have zero meaning, and are for zoomer nerds to obsess over

if genres were defined by production techniques, entire decades of music of the past would be lumped together

;)

>a simple explanation to what 'art rock' means
If you didn't know, why would you make a post pretending to know if an album was art-rock or not?
>my broader point is that a lot of these 21st century genre labels have zero meaning
Great, but both Art-Rock, Jazz Fusion and Jazz Rock all existed in the late 60s/early 70s

So, are you a fucking idiot or what?

you honestly believe people went around calling things art rock

lmaoo

How are those Jazz Fusion and Zappa not? Those are just more poppy, smooth jazz. Zappa is more avant-garde.

Yes? Why not?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_rock

retard alert

uh oh you got mad about genre and then tried to say that genre as a concept is dumb? big baby? get fucked

You didn't say that I was, I was just clarifying that I was somebody new coming into the conversation, not the person you were already arguing with.

As for why there is nothing 'art-rock' about Viva la Vida, I think that's what the person you were arguing with was trying to get you to realise by asking you to first explain what you think art-rock is, and then why you think that album does count as art-rock.

For me (and indeed the actual wiki page on art-rock), art rock is supposed to be "a challenging or avant-garde approach to rock, or which makes use of modernist, experimental, or unconventional elements."

So, do you believe that Viva la Vida is in any way challenging, avant-garde, modernist, experimental, or unconventional?

>not the person you were already arguing with.
I don't know if I was arguing with OP. We are all anonymous, so one should not assume either way
>I think that's what the person you were arguing with was trying to get you to realise by asking you to first explain what you think art-rock is, and then why you think that album does count as art-rock.
Nice! Unfortunately, that's not how an argument works
>So, do you believe that Viva la Vida is in any way challenging, avant-garde, modernist, experimental, or unconventional?
I already answered this. Read the thread.

Well, you said that it was produced by Eno, and thus most likely had some artistic sound design and recording techniques forced into it - you didn't say whether you thought it actually did, or whether you thought the overall effect was something challenging, avant-garde, modernist, experimental, or unconventional. Eno is perfectly capable both of not employing those techniques, and of using them without it resulting in an album that is any of those things.

So, I ask again: do you believe that Viva la Vida is in any way challenging, avant-garde, modernist, experimental, or unconventional? And if so, why?

>you didn't say whether you thought it actually did,
You are right I didn't.
>I ask again: do you believe that Viva la Vida is in any way challenging, avant-garde, modernist, experimental, or unconventional?
I have no opinion, since I've only head one song from the album.

Kek. Fuck off then.

What's the problem?

i always just assumed art rock meant poppy rock music with some unconventional/colorful instrumentation/experimentation. Like Sgt. Pepper or something. Not everything that is "experimental" has to be Merzbow. I can see why Viva la Vida would be characterized as art rock.

and no one has answered

retards probably thought jazz fusion meant "dude saxophones lmao"

Just look it up idiot

don't bother wasting your time, art rock doesn't mean anything

>Jazz fusion (also known as fusion)[1] is a music genre that developed in the late 1960s when musicians combined ***jazz harmony** and improvisation with rock music, funk, and rhythm and blues.

you can shut the fuck up now

Zappa made avant-garde music, for sure. But avant-garde and jazz aren't necessarily synonymous. There is a lot of complexity in melody and rhythm in Zappa's music, but for it to be have a rightful jazz or jazz-fusion label, there should be jazz harmony (i.e. altered and extended chords)

ah, the homosexual general

allaboutjazz.com/frank-zappa-hot-rats-frank-zappa-by-trevor-maclaren.php

You should stop discussing music altogether

Same with this guy

>review from a jazz site

same user who posted the wikipedia screenshot, probably

>and improvisation

youtube.com/watch?v=IcPbmPM7epY

>review from a jazz site
>it's probability not jazz then
OK
>same user who posted the wikipedia screenshot, probably
Yeah, I've been right multiple times so far ITT

why do people pretend to him?

Fuck off faggot nigger, you fail to perceive even the most obvious of the jokes for the sake of inflating your own ego.