/prod/ - music production general

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last thread:

Attached: 1529690561794.jpg (800x800, 131K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/show
dropbox.com/s/27o3xskyby175f7/bigdickbitch dot com.wav?dl=0
instaud.io/3H7q
instaud.io/3H8w
clyp.it/ggpmgoi5
youtu.be/-lZGxUJdhOA
youtube.com/watch?v=ad0wjIAHP0g
google.co.nz/search?client=opera&hs=b3X&ei=J6zgXJubDI-kyAOS-bYo&q=how to droning, nasally, distorted kick bass hardcore &oq=how to droning, nasally, distorted kick bass hardcore &gs_l=psy-ab.3...1195.5786..6196...0.0..0.265.3486.0j8j9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i160j33i21.nicu-agE3h4
clyp.it/wf0dcmmt
soundgym.co
youtube.com/watch?v=AWLGvhq3PYg
youtube.com/watch?v=E6BxAtc5cd0
instaud.io/3Hdl
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5693798
portableapps.com/apps/utilities/wincdemu-portable
instaud.io/3Hga
instaud.io/3Hkn
instaud.io/3Hmf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine
audiosex.pro/threads/there-is-a-hidden-os-in-all-newer-intel-chips.44051/
youtube.com/watch?v=aMqfUXlLznA
instaud.io/3HnV
youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7c23_2lnM
clyp.it/ssgba3mn
instaud.io/3How
instaud.io/3HoA
youtube.com/watch?v=c7giVPOftgw
youtube.com/watch?v=T8knuAan0zk
youtube.com/watch?v=j70JpGokPyw
instaud.io/3Hq2
youtube.com/watch?v=0fAQhSRLQnM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You're not going to make it as a music producer unless you have an IQ higher than 110. I'm sorry to say this, but some of you need to hear it

Attached: 155.jpg (500x500, 28K)

>mean posting
What is that like the top third of society? Slightly above average at least? That's completely reasonable lol

Meme of the day.

Attached: being sammy is suffering.png (1000x1512, 1.6M)

>tfw no feedback

Bonus meme to compensate for not posting one yesterday.

Attached: sammy's truly the evergreen cunt.png (1000x1010, 452K)

good trannies are actually expensiver than good whores

gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/show

Who said anything about the tranny being good?

i dont pay to fuck shit trannies so your meme is out of context

>off-topic meme
bro you're getting worse at this

Demarcus is more self-loathing and relatable for most people, not as hatable. Sammy is a willfully ignorant asshole who berates everybody who gives even slightly critical advice, so much easier to stay annoyed at

>posting another anons link every thread as bait
great

not him but iirc it was a black tranny so it cant be good anyway

the black tranny was free

>Sammy is a willfully ignorant asshole who berates everybody who gives even slightly critical advice
wrong

Eh, Dimi is pretty much the same as Sambo some days.

>>off-topic meme
>bro you're getting worse at this
Why?
We're making fun of Sammy so it's not like it's completely unrelated.
But have this fresh meme made just for you.
Is this in context enough?

Attached: being a reasonfag is contagious.png (1360x680, 2.03M)

Free is cheaper than whatever the female prostitutes cost, so the meme is correct.

tru but it's rare in comparison

No I mean your meme's in general are getting shit. The first few were funny but it tanked after that.

Very nice. Just bought Reason this morning but I haven't touched it yet as I've been sitting here refreshing this thread all day. It was a pain in the ass because I had to call my bank because they thought my card got stolen.

>No I mean your meme's in general are getting shit. The first few were funny but it tanked after that.
I know.
The thing is, I made them all the same day and I posted the best ones first, so now you'll have to suffer through these shit ones until I make some more.
I probably won't though. There aren't that many /prod/ topics and I've already recycled some.

replace the reason chick face with the boyinaband "guy"

>it's so unlikely that someone actually buys reason that the bank thinks you're getting carded
Perfectly reasonable assumption desu.

Attached: but muh grains.png (1000x1000, 664K)

Lmao can't be bothered desu.

dropbox.com/s/27o3xskyby175f7/bigdickbitch dot com.wav?dl=0

first song I’ve ever fully produced, gimme some criticisms

Based Lain poster.

>how much?
>to where?
>yeah I think we may have a scam on our hands

Remember to check the PH store before the end of the month, some useful REs are discounted to free for the sale.

>404

What are the best places to start for someone that is completely unexperienced with music production but is looking to start making some lofi songs just for fun?

The first thing to learn is that if you want to make music that sounds bad on purpose, you first need to be able to make music that sounds good, and then you can break the rules in a purposeful way to create the lofi effect.
A lot of people think that lofi is easy and they don't have to learn mixing for it, but those people never make lofi. They just make bad sounding music.

Attached: Picasso's Art from 14 to 91.jpg (705x960, 110K)

THE PASTEBIN

Buy Renoise

Attached: 1544786599616.jpg (1080x1080, 146K)

what's a super-poorfag's CPU good enough for mixing with a bunch of tracks and vsts

Attached: 1516276952039.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

fuck off sammy go ask on /g/ or on a portugese tech forum wtf

one with 16gb ram up

So I started this thing. Should I continue? Any feedback?
instaud.io/3H7q

I think the beginning sounds like horny ducks. Are there any plugins to make something sound more quaky?

/prod/ are the most knowledgeable people around

a cpu doesnt have ram

>/prod/ are the most knowledgeable people around
haha

Yea Forums made me buy these logitech 2.1 spekars with a 1khz notch. fuckin genius bro

then you're fucked

>made me buy
You decided to buy them on your own volition after a random anonymous person told you to.
It's 100% your fault for following Yea Forums's advice.

How many is a bunch?
Probs gonna want an i7 6x 3.3ghz+
Also don't cheap out on the MB or you'll bottleneck yourself.
Professionally you're gonna want at least 24gb RAM.

so what? point me the best cpu i can buy below $

what do you think of a ryzen 1400?

A casiotone and 4 track

pentium g4560

Just bounce to track nigger

thats exactly why i want a decent computer, to stop having to freezee tracks every 30 seconds

use a higher buffer, I doubt you're recording live that often

Why don't you rework your recording style then? Limit yourself to 6 tracks and sample your instruments. You don't need 16 tracks with vsts and effects.

what? cpu and ram usage for mixing have nothing to do with that.
about recording live, my interface has is own direct monitoring and that's cpu-free.

yeah why i dont just solve my problem by switching my style to cheap bad mixes?
>You don't need 16 tracks with vsts and effects.
ofc! i don't even need to mix my tracks!

no, that's not memey.
im talking a vid of me dubbing some village people song with colour effects and me dancing with a beer in my hand in my bedroom.

you mean whistling

and the effects sucked

yeah indeed i can just stop using my vsts and switch to using reaper's native reverb exclusively for example. but that would suck.

Actual artists work around limitations and have created better music than you with a single synth and a tape recorder. If you can't evne afford a budget computer you really have other concerns than making beats on 32 tracks with orchestral libraries

so how do u come up with chords and melodies?

found a deal on a i5 6400 + 8gb ddr4 + mobo asus h110m-k , is that good enough?

i have worked around limitations all my life and guess what, when i only had a sm57 copy plugged to my motherboard 3.5mm i had /prod/ bashing me all day for months

do you want my celeron based computer for yourself to enjoy producing with? shithead

i dont even have orchestral vsts, i use 4front and other lightweight vsts and still have to freezee my shit because of the mixing plugins.
i have a project that i can't finish mixing because my computer crashes when i unfreezee one track. and it has like 8 tracks or less.

Use guitar pedals for your effects :)
I tune into the source and they come through me like a radio tuning to a given station.

>Use guitar pedals for your effects :)
this is nonsense. even considering that i only have a zoom g1.

>only have one great multi-fx pedal
why are you crying so much

I'm currently using a cheap laptop with these specs:
i3-4010U CPU @ 1.70GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 820M GPU (not relevant for music production)
4 GB of RAM
500GB HDD (5400 RPM)

It's not a good computer but it works well enough.
I can have tens of audio tracks on Ableton without any stuttering, even with high-quality effects on each (but not too high-quality like linear-phase EQs on everything or something like that), and I can have a lot of significantly complex synth patches (with long chains of effects) running at the same time (I only have to bounce them when I'm using a shitton of unison voices).

Sure, I'd like it to be better (especially the RAM, so I wouldn't have to be careful about browser tabs), but I can't say it's hindering me.

Take this information as you will.

what the hell are you doing?

maybe it's my Slate plugins that are too heavy

>Take this information as you will.
completely disregarding it and calling you an idiot

hmmmm

Maybe.
I've never used those.

That's always taken into account when talking to him.

but what can i replace them with. they're the best reverb, console/board and tape plugins that i ever used, and i have tried a few. i have them on basically every track i mix.

that's pretty bad, are you still on ableton 9?

stop putting reverb on your master and learn to use busses you dingus

how else am i gonna emulate a live recording
i use individual track reverbs but a very slightly wet master reverb makes things more cohesive.

I don't know.
I make electronic music and I use FabFilter and iZotope stuff, with random individual plugins.

A lot of them have quality settings that you can use to reduce the strain on your CPU while you're working on them (then set them to maximum when you're rendering).

>that's pretty bad
It can be better, but I almost never feel pressured to bounce tracks unless I'm doing some heavy synth layering and whatnot, so I can't complain too much.

>are you still on ableton 9?
Yes.
Is 10 slower?
I hear they rewrote some graphical rendering parts so it some times hangs when zooming in the timeline when you have a lot of clips, is that true?

read the last paragraph of this post anons, it's very sad

>how else am i gonna emulate a live recording
USE A FUCKING SEND YOU LEARN THAT IN A BEGINNERS COURSE ON MIXING FOR FUCKS SAKE

stop using individual track reverbs

"cohesive" doesn't mean everything has the safe effect, that means everything has a well assigned space before it even hits the master

>i use individual track reverbs
Try using just two reverbs (one short and one long) on busses, and send each track to them with the appropriate amount.
It should not only be easier on the CPU than having a full reverb plugin on each track, and it should also sound cleaner.

this guy looks like a 3d animation lmao

Attached: Screenshot_43.jpg (546x474, 46K)

I hate you, do you want us to tie your shoes as well? Go jump in a lake pleb

Its not super uncommon in orchestral mockup stuff. Sorta makes sense if literally every instrument is embedded in the same orchestral hall. but I generally agree that it is not appropriate for most genres.
For emulating live spaces, try using altiverb. Its a great convolution reverb. What sets it apart from its competitors is that they will sample different positions in the same room, at different distances. So you can give the instruments in the 'rear of the room' the 8 meter impulse response reflections, and the instruments in the 'front of the room' the 3 meter impulses. Pretty cool plugin.

What?
Is this a shitpost or you're mistaking me for someone else?

>if literally every instrument is embedded in the same orchestral hall.
But the instruments are at different distances to the walls and the mics so... does it really make sense?

>it some times hangs when zooming in the timeline when you have a lot of clips, is that true?
it doesn't happen to me but before 10.0.6 there were a lot of glitches, 10 is still slower than 9, having built in max only makes it worse

does anyone have experiencie with Softube vsts?

>Sorta makes sense if literally every instrument is embedded in the same orchestral hall. but I generally agree that it is not appropriate for most genres.
in my case it's a band playing in the same room or club.
>For emulating live spaces, try using altiverb. Its a great convolution reverb. What sets it apart from its competitors is that they will sample different positions in the same room, at different distances. So you can give the instruments in the 'rear of the room' the 8 meter impulse response reflections, and the instruments in the 'front of the room' the 3 meter impulses. Pretty cool plugin.
oh that sounds lush, imma check it

you sound like you're better off going to a real room and recording its reverb for each track

Its a good point. A lot of the old timers prefer to use something like a bricasti M7 for the 'shared tail' on the master, but some other folks like to address that exact concern you are having by using something like altiverb to deliver a custom IR (from a different distance from say, the Todd-AO hall) to each row of the orchestra. Its sort of a crazy convoluted approach (sorry). Another approach that is reasonably common is to feed each row a different ER that has predelay set to represent their distance in the room. So, further away row of instruments like brass and perc would get the lowest predelay, and close strings would get the longest predelay on ER. Representing the delay it takes for sound to bounce off the back wall and return. Then they might use a shared tail after the fact.

How much slower?

ableton 9 on win 8 here still trucking

Attached: High Q EQ works on Glue too.jpg (1366x768, 555K)

>win 8
Why?

8.1 actually don't know, /g/ said it wasn't good

quite a lot
I wish they kept the piss yellow theme on 10, I really liked it

im also on 8.1 but because I hate change I don't want to go on windows 10 and also for the Microsoft jew can spy on me more and get more shekels and then the updates are fucking with peoples shit I would probably just leave my computer offline instead of going on to 10

/g/ here.
7 is good but old so it doesn't have some of the modern features that you may or may not want or need. It's also being dropped soon so next years it will stop getting security updates.

8 is the worst. Vista tier.

8.1 is like 8 but with some improvements.

10 is everything good about 8.1, without the bad (it's basically 7 mixed with 8.1, plus the telemetry).

/g/ doesn't think anything's good.

how does my new house track sound
instaud.io/3H8w

>quite a lot
Damn, that sucks. I was about to get 10 when 10.1.* dropped a stable version, but I guess I'll have to pretend 9 is still the latest.
Looks like I did well sticking with 9, thanks for the warning.

you aren't /g/ liar
10 is a lot of crap.
The only thing people didn't like about 8.1 was the change to the start menue.

Install gentoo and LMMS

What's crap about 10?

Fuck off. Gentoo isn't a FSF-endorsed distro and as such it's absolute botnet garbage.

that's why you use a send and don't apply reverb equally to everything regardless of the distance it's supposed to be lol

>ableton 8 simpler
fuck i'm all nostalgic now

I still remember the first track from my second (completely shit) ep having a reverb on 10 tracks and not knowing what freezing or resampling was and it being a laggy mess GOOD TIMES

>I wish they kept the piss yellow theme on 10, I really liked it
can you not just install the theme like 8 to 9? Pic related lel

>10 is everything good about 8.1, without the bad
you mean that in look only, I don't remember nearly as many people bitching about a random updates deleting and fucking peoples shit like 10 does

yes

Attached: 8 theme.png (1920x1080, 332K)

>you mean that in look only, I don't remember nearly as many people bitching about a random updates deleting and fucking peoples shit like 10 does
Ah yeah, I forgot about the updates thing.
I just disabl them when I set the system up and it never bothers me.
It's so easy to fix that I don't even consider it an issue desu (at least if you're computer literate enough to google it if you think it's an issue).

Some privacy concerns and constant fishy updates

>i'm /g/
>I never update

dude what

>reading comprehension
Where did I say I never update?
I only disabled the automatic updates.
I still regularly update manually. The only difference is that it doesn't bother me anymore.

i just assumed you had the comprehension to realize i was talking about updates in general, not automatic updates.

I guess you're lucky to have not dealt with any ridiculous issues then

What issues to updates cause other than the forced restarts at unpredictable times?
I don't know of any of that.

resetting preferences and fucking up drivers is all i've experienced personally

I recall at least two instances of mass reports of deleted and corrupted data in the past year or so.
Installing shit that you don't want, reinstalling shit uninstalled etc. There's probably more

>resetting preferences and fucking up drivers is all i've experienced personally
Oh, sorry to hear. Never happened to me.

>I recall at least two instances of mass reports of deleted and corrupted data in the past year or so.
Ah yeah lmao I remember that, what a shitshow.
Luckily I hadn't updated yet when I heard the news so I got spared.

>Installing shit that you don't want, reinstalling shit uninstalled etc.
Yeah, that's the thing I dislike the most about 10. All the useless shit and promos that they install.
If I wasn't so lazy I'd get LTSC, which is supposedly much less affected by this.
Maybe tomorrow I'll do it lol.

You're right, it's not all good. I retract my statement.
But it's still better than 8 and 8.1
Windows 7 is still the gold standard though.

i should be practicing but im not

You bought Reason too?

Whats good homies

If anyone would be so kind to listen to my track, it's a tech house/techno (unsure, lmk what you think the genre is, besides trash of course).

I want to ask, do you think that the chord/lead thing that comes in in a polyrhytm around 1:00 and 2:30 needs further processing? I like the clean sound and don't know what to do with it, ight now it's basically clean from the Elektron synth. I was thinking chorus? Suggestions?

Also just general thoughts on the track? Was thinking of adding some spoken vocals, some seductive shit

lmk if it sucks, im tryin to get better.

clyp.it/ggpmgoi5

I kinda want to get a larger keyboard so I can ;egit practice keys but I have no space for it.

add some actual chords to this and a shitload of splashy reverb effects and you got yourself a techno track

you should make space for it i think the keyboard where you can record are fun i have 61 key yamaha but it sufferes from low note polyphony like 32 at once for mine or it will start cutting out other notes

Get more space then

thanks bro, yeah there's literally no chords and I totally see what you mean.

>splashy reverb effects
what's that mean exactly? I'm sorry if that's a dumb question. Like increase the level on a reverb to make builds or what?

I'm not too good with reverb desu, I use Reason and the reverb on it kinda sucks but I have Valhalla Shimmer and Valhalla Room and I generally just preset browse.

Tips or links to tutorials or anything?

Thanks for listening and thanks for the response, I'm really trying to improve here

check this out
youtu.be/-lZGxUJdhOA

when i watch tutorials on protools and i see all these native mixing vsts and analog simulators i get jealous, but then i remember protools works by printing tracks like retarded tape

How do I get that long, droning, nasally, distorted kick bass common in hardcore?
This isn't a hardcore song, but you can hear it starting at 2:47 (bandpassed)
and then "normal" at 2:54
youtube.com/watch?v=ad0wjIAHP0g

knowing hardstyle it's probably an 808 kick but I have no fucking clue how to distort it to sound like that

google.co.nz/search?client=opera&hs=b3X&ei=J6zgXJubDI-kyAOS-bYo&q=how to droning, nasally, distorted kick bass hardcore &oq=how to droning, nasally, distorted kick bass hardcore &gs_l=psy-ab.3...1195.5786..6196...0.0..0.265.3486.0j8j9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i160j33i21.nicu-agE3h4

what the hell is that? do people call that music?

You know that picture with the Iceberg and all the genres? I'm pretty far down...

bro if I knew what to search for I would've found it already
This ain't my first rodeo, I just need to know the general technique used to get that sound and I can figure the rest from there

ah so you're musically drowned?

Sup Joshua

PUt a hardcore kick in a sampler, set to loop reverse and forward then reduce the loop points, shortening the sample while it plays continuosly, you'll get that sound

Yes, I'm about to start just listening to jet planes taking off and diesel turbochargers spooling up with a drum loop

what a pussy, venetian snares is almost normie tier

yoo thank you that was helpful, I already knew most of it but the fx processing was clutch.

happy saturday user

lmao my dude are you my grandmother

yes it is literally music

with distortion lol

honestly theyre trying to emulate this kind of clipping distoriotion so a waveshaper and then make your shit square as fuck

Can someone give me advice on how to visualize the sound spectrum when EQing? I'm new to production and have difficulty pinpointing what is wrong and what is right in my mix. Unless what I'm saying is completely fucking retarded

clyp.it/wf0dcmmt
it's definitely closer than I have been before so we're on to something now

you're good, it's more of an experience thing though, it's just gonna take time and practice

youre working with straight software right?

So, a lot of distortion from the jungle days was literally clipping into a mixer and then trying to adjust it to not just overpower, its basically abusing gain staging.

if you've never worked with hardware I would say that a waveshaper is gonna take you pretty fucking close. maybe some distortion?

>distortion

meant compression

I figured it had to do with compression because I've done everything I can with distortion. I'll try clipping and compressing the signal next.

Otherwise I'll just build my own mixer/sampler out of hardware and opamps and then sample that

yeah like with my set up I have a synth with a mixer so to get that sound I would just push the mixer hella hard where the transient was like JUST clipping but not the whole note

thats why I said to use compression because in a way the summing into my audio interface is a form of compression

sorry if this shit dont make sense, im hella drunk and doin blow

>im hella drunk and doin blow
you and me both, don't appologize my man that's the junglist way

honestly I might just try and find a clean hit of that drum sound and then sample that
sorta takes the fun out of it though, I really want to try the hardware route now. Building my own mixer sounds fun.

bro i can think of like 5 different waves to get a bass like that lol. probably takes 30 seconds in massive

what have you tried to make that so far?

>You know that picture with the Iceberg and all the genres? I'm pretty far down...
that picture is retarded and don't ever try to brag like that again

retarded

do you have good monitors or headphones yet? that shit is necessary.

literally look at a spectrum analyzer to analyze sounds. Understand that 99% of musical sounds (just not a lot of percussion, specifically things that are metallic and thus more complex) are made up of a "fundamental" frequency and numerous harmonics above that in a pattern specific to that instrument. Not every harmonic is necessary to keep

soundgym.co

Nah, I got speakers and headphones as of right now

Shit headphones and speakers

I wasn't bragging, just quantifying my dude.

I can always distort a saturated 808 kick, that's not the problem. It's a very, very specific sound that I'm going for that I just can't fucking nail down.

I've fucked with different kinds of distortion, compressors, filters, combinations thereof, rearranging the order of effects in the signal chain, I could go on for hours enumerating what I've tried

It invariably sounds too.. piquant. Farty. There's too much high end, not enough nasally grimy distortion. I'm pretty much just about to sample the sound rather than recreate it myself.

I've never touched massive so I have no idea how I'd do it in there.

>too much high end
High shelf.
>nasaly grimy distortion
What is formant filter.

Go pretent to be special somewhere else.

synthesize it from scratch you fucking doofus
I can't believe you have the nerve to ask this while you're trying to get it from a distorted sample

Go pretend to be high and mighty somewhere else

I've never once synthesized a drum before so I have no idea how. No better time to learn than the present I guess though

>I've never once synthesized a drum before
>wants to breakcore hardcore jungle book Yea Forumssic

disgusting. you're not allowed back on /prod/ until you learn that.

Nah m8, I'm a fookin ifdiot reasonfag that barely produces but even I know the direction to go to find water.

I haven't had to synthesize drums before because most of the time I can work my way up from samples alone and it works fine enough.
This one sound has been evading my grasp for longer than recent memory

gotcha you're a boomer gear queen

>I can work my way up from samples alone and it works fine enough.
the point wasn't that you should be making your own drums (though you should know how), it's from the assumption that people making that kind of music are all crazy good at sound design and not at least being interested in how to synthesize things like that for yourself is just ????
ngmi :^)

>gotcha you're a boomer gear queen
your're not one to be calling people names you fucking sounddesign-let

>reasonfag that can barely make music
surprise surprise

you're making some very broad assumptions given that I asked for pointers on how to get one specific sound out of a drum sample, and nothing more
It's sort of like saying "man you want to cut a piece of wood to level a rocking table, but you *don't* know how to craft a full furniture set using nothing but hand-grown lumber?"
Synthesizing my own drums has just never come up before, if I absolutely need to learn how to make drums from wholecloth just to get that sound then I will. I didn't get an EE/Signal Processing degree for nothing

at least I produce and strive to improve unlike the other dude

>at least I produce and strive to improve unlike the other dude
i jerked off since posting that and now possess the clarity of mind to stop myself from being a jerk for no reason
i'm sorry user, I hope you get the exact sound you want and get that warm feeling of accomplishment when you build a great track around it (:

So I got Reason today and was playing with all the presets having tons of fun for hours and I didn't even notice the time go by and now I'm sitting here listening to some mid90's jungle and I realize that everything I just did was absolutely unoriginal and I feel terrible. Fuck this; I was having so much fun.

>I can always distort a saturated 808 kick, that's not the problem. It's a very, very specific sound that I'm going for that I just can't fucking nail down.

It's probably a 909 kick, not an 808. That's why you're not getting the basic sound down.

Are there any free DAW's as intuitive as Ableton or FL Studio?

Fuck dude I didn't even think to try a 909 sample, I'm going to try that now

I'm very drunk right now and can't tell the difference between sincerity and sarcasm so thanks I'll try to make you proud

The closest you're going to get is LMMS. It's pretty similar to FL studio, and from what I've seen it's getting pretty damn rounded out and polished too.

actually, producers are some of the dumbest people on the planet, especially those pursuing it full time. you are basically a chimp dancing for pennies to entertain teenagers

I'm a pianist and keyboard player, have written a bunch but never made the transition into actually recording and producing my own music.

When recording, is the default sample rate (in ableton and others looks like 44100) good enough for high quality sound? For some reason when I play something on my keyboard then record it in Ableton or Audacity it doesn't quite sound as good.

>actually, producers are some of the dumbest people on the planet,
I can attest to this

44.1khz is CD quality(TM)
If it doesn't sound good it's probably a shitty sound source or a shitty mic or a shitty room.

and it's no news that cds sound bad

Attached: 1549188395521.png (500x522, 148K)

yeah. it only takes like 1 month of having a decently popular (like, 10k+ followers) to realize how dumb most 'producers' are. music is easy to understand but hard to pull off, so it attracts the lowest common dunning kruger denominator. evne if you have 100 followers on soundcloud you will get one or two fucking time vampires in there ready to 'collab' who have no ability whatsoever. and SO many thirsty people who want to be signed so bad, it's pathetic. fuck your 'making it' and corporate ass bullshit, fuck getting x plays, spotify, fuck your dumbass 'career'. if you're desperately trying to make it i bet good money you fuck it up in the process. get a real job or go work at mcdonalds for a few years. aren't no geniuses producing trap and edm beats. stupid fuckers in this general, honestly.

Post your secret weapon

Attached: moodal.png (1506x1570, 50K)

imagine being sammy

Attached: 4567.png (500x533, 531K)

I have my keyboards plugged into a Scarlett 2i usb to my PC, it sounds the same in both Ableton and audacity

He has a qt sister and mommy and lives in a nice climate and gets to walk around without a shirt on. Seems pretty good to me.
Your keyboard probably has crappy samples and you never noticed before due to the reverb of your room -- maybe?

No I mean I have the keyboard plugged into the Scarlett (stereo) and track armed in Ableton. I play whatever and it sounds exactly like the keyboard would if I just had headphones plugged in. However when I record, the listen back, the sound quality is noticeably worse then playing it "live" if that makes sense.

youtube.com/watch?v=AWLGvhq3PYg

You may be recording a stereo sound in mono

>Building my own mixer sounds fun.

I use the Yamaha MG10 and it's my second one because I fucked up the first one doing experimental shit at a noise show for fun (I turned up every single EQ and fader and predictably some of the input sstopped working, I was lit)

also where you from? blow is kind of a l o c a l
drug. From Miami myself so I'm guessing you US too

>I use the Yamaha MG10
forgot to write why

I find the EQ on it very pleasing, the first 4 tracks got a 3 band EQ that's just "pleasant"

It takes my Elektron from an "ok sound" to a very developed sound just through whatever kind of algorithm the EQ is.

For example for basslines (which is all the Elektron Analog Four/Keys shit is good for if you'll excuse me) I'll just lower the high and mid and boost the bass and it just sounds good immediately. It also has two built in compressors which I use extensively.

T:L DR its cheap and easy Yamaha MG10

is your music even good, user?

BOUGHT A RYZEN 2200G GUYS

>Miami
Sarasota. Opposite coast but same state, FL represent.

That MG10 is very surprisingly affordable on Ebay, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on them.
I too have a shitload of equipment I've fucked up while lit, usually when I try to circuit bend them but don't pay attention to the datasheets. The sparks can be pretty fun but once the electrons fall out they don't usually work very well anymore

I like to pretend it is

Does everyone in Florida like to circuitbend shit? I knew a dude from Hollywood that was into circuit bending.

And a new motherboard?

ofc, and a new ram card and a new power supply.

Ah, would have made for a good meme if you just ordered the cpu expecting it to drop in like that

lets do it again so you can meme it

hey guys i just bought a ryzen 2200g

no lol why would i spend more money you retard, i just need a new cpu and that's all
maybe i'll get more ram if i feeld the need, but thats all

Must be something in the water. Or maybe flirting with death by electrocution; it's a florida man thing

Attached: 3VLzGoAmeRI.png (561x656, 531K)

I'm having a problem with Ableton. Both audio tracks and plugins being played by MIDI emit an annoying hissing sound (it is more noticeable if I play like a soft piano note and let it ring). When I export audio, the hissing goes away. What could this be?

dithering

>tfw I've been jamming for 3 hours and I don't like any ideas that have been coming up

what do?

I don't really have an idea in mind at the moment so that's probably why.

Just record the midi and put it in an archive somewhere to raid for inspiration at a later date.

mfw VIA Samuel is the worst CPU ever

-----
i want a computer for MUSIC PRODUCTION

Attached: Screenshot_48.jpg (582x315, 40K)

*just records everything on an iPhone*
What's your excuse?
youtube.com/watch?v=E6BxAtc5cd0

i cant afford an iPhone.

>go to the beach/park for some field recordings
>start imagining I am some kind of hunter in Hunter x Hunter that pursuits new sounds in nature
Does the autism ever go away

184th for DYNAMIC mics fuckin SUCK

That's not true user, that's simply not true. It's all about having the right tool for the job.

Attached: sonotone.jpg (2048x1355, 284K)

This is actually inspiring user. You do you mang.

Attached: hi_five.png (493x402, 5K)

Attached: 321.png (2000x1800, 806K)

>cpu and ram usage for mixing have nothing to do with that.

Lol do you really think data on the hard drive magically gets to the speakers?

ßamp

Attached: My_Spectrogram.gif (750x448, 3.15M)

I do that too sometimes. Actually I really like how the iphone mic records close sounds and "filters" a bit the distant ones, very handy in my loud place. I remember using a good mic that recorded every single sound from the room, that would be unusable where I am

But the guy has a thingy that connects the guitar directly to the iphone. And the bass too I guess
The iphone mic is decent, but it records bass frequencies terribly.
Also does the guy use drum sounds only from the app? I mean that's ok I guess

yes like Noise music is very big here as an evolution of metal/punk which was H U G E here for like 12-14 years.

Scene Kids

If you're from FL then you know what that means

gonna just say: agree

Like this dude has been listening to dance music how long? NEVER tried to actually use a synth.

fuck bro

instaud.io/3Hdl

check out my beat

I like this user, it's comfy

Attached: feelin it.gif (301x283, 971K)

>pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj
The pastebin doesn't mention on where to find FL studio 20 cracked, can a fellow user help me out?

audioz probably

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5693798

What software is this?

you can turn an image file into an audio file with a program called Virtual ANS (free)

Then I took the audio file and played it through the 3D spectrogram in Electroacoustics Toolbox (not free) and wala~

I checked the audioz website,

it requires me to pay before I can download, do you have this problem as well?

You need to click on the peeplink url.

Anyway, FL gets usually removed pretty fast from AudioZ, so use the rutracker link if you want the latest version.

Okay, thanks

Thanks man, there's a .iso in the torrent file, I haven't installed FL yet, but how am I supposed to medicine it with a .iso, I thought .iso files were mainly for burning bootable disks.

ISOs are just virtual disks.
You can burn them or you can mount them.
They're practically just zipped folders that you don't have to extract.

Thank you.

One, that wasn't dance music
two, I've been using synthesizers for years, just never to make drum sounds

Okay, I'll have to figure out how to mount the iso file then I guess.

>Serum
>NI Massive
I checked audioz for Serum, but there are only packs available, not the actual plugin itself.

I think the included .exe gets its files from the .iso now that I'm installing the program.

Thanks for the help anyways though, I greatly appreciate it.

Serum is another program that gets removed very quickly.

Use this to mount the iso:
portableapps.com/apps/utilities/wincdemu-portable

We'll see if I actually need to mount the .iso at all.
I don't think I have to mount it, I'll check rutracker for serum.

Yeah, I posted before reading your update.
Good luck m8.

this isn't very /prod/ related but it's related enough

does anyone know if there's a place on Yea Forums to discuss dancing and shit like that?

Try Yea Forums, /fit/, Yea Forums, Yea Forums, and Yea Forums
Post the thread/s here please if you make them.

But you're probably better off using Reddit for that desu.

where can I find the peeplink URL?
I only see usenet.nl and linksnappy, usenet.nl is a paid download service and I can't wrap my head around the linksnappy link.

Post the page you're trying to download from and I'll give you a screenshot with an arrow.

I now get how this linksnappy service works, but if I put in the usenet.nl link it says it's invalid, let me post a followup

Attached: file.png (1694x941, 422K)

followup

I tried other variations of the usenet.nl links as well

Rutracker torrents work like a charm though, so I might just use that.

Attached: file.png (1118x370, 51K)

Here you go my man.

Attached: 2019-05-19 14_15_57-arrow at DuckDuckGo.png (693x479, 20K)

>better off using Reddit
like, no memes use reddit? I've never used it before but it does have more targeted, active boards for things like this.
Completely forgot Yea Forums existed, sounds like I ought to try there

look closely at the top that's a request not an actual upload, do not click any link that isn't a mirror or a peeplink

Oh, I assumed the request got fulfilled and it was uploaded, thanks!

Dude stop clicking things.
You're not supposed to click any of that shit, those are basically ads.

The reason you're not seeing any peeplink URL in that page, is because it's a request, not a release.

That page is basically someone asking people to upload it, and it's not a page where someone uploaded it.

You can tell by the fact that it says "REQ" at the start of the post title, and by the word "request" under the category and in the URL.

If you open a page that's not a request you can see the peeplink urls that you're supposed to click (some are behind a captcha).

When the request gets fulfilled, the page becomes a normal release page and the request stuff gets removed to make it a normal release page.

I wish I was a high enough level wizard to learn and use Renoise. But when it comes down to it when I need to get shit done I can get it done quickly and efficiently in Logic.

There a lot of chords used but it doesn't really go anywhere or resolve. It just kind meanders around.

check out this gay track

instaud.io/3Hga

from someone who uses renoise
you're dumb if you just use renoise

the pro tip is to use it as a supplementary DAW with Rewire and whatever your main DAW is

I'm not familiar with the genre but doesn't the clap feels out of place? everything else has the right atmosphere

Any Eurorack here?

What are some good starting sequencer modules?

yeah a dynamic mic might fit if you're trying to do a bad job

hard drive speed doesnt limit anything for audio production. also, once the project is loaded, it's on the ram.

it does limit loading times though

sample libraries, mate
orchestra mockups quickly exceed 500gb

you can buy me a ssd drive if youre so worried about my loading times

i use sonata's for orchestra vstis, thank you

the audio sex forums are full of 80 IQ retards lmao

sounds perfect

Think about it. Musicians in general don't tend to be very smart, but at least some of them understand that they should focus on what's important to be successful.
Then some other ones decide to spend their time arguing on a forum on a website for piracy.
Who do you think is gonna show up for the discussion? Certainly not the sasoned professionals or anyone even remotely successful. Only the poor third worlders and people in who make enough of a big deal of pirating shit that they sign up for the site and spend time on it (instead of getting what they need and moving on with they life).
Of course all those people are morons, and even when a smart person enters the conversation, they get flooded with stupidity because the moronic userbase has shaped the culture and hivemind to reflect their retardation.

It's basically /prod/ except everyone has Phaser-tier autism and Sammy-tier cognitive abilities, while taking themselves as seriously as the R*meses guy.

it's even better than /x/ honestly, there was a thread about intel having a hidden os on their chips that rapidly escalated into satanic illuminati conspiracy
I also enjoy the r2r and cubase crack shitposting, I should really make an account eventually

Meme of the day

Attached: once i get this cpu it's over for you guys.png (640x383, 296K)

And the original version.

Attached: i just need this one vst and i'll be good.png (640x383, 427K)

t-thanks

how do i upload a song thats like 3 minutes. somehow its like 30mb and i cant figure out how to shrink it cause most song upload sites require file size under like 10 or 5mb

mp3 or aac

How do I make kawaii bass?

Attached: かわいいベース.jpg (1316x780, 185K)

quality. based
very true

make regular bass and then make it worse on purpose

how do I change the size of the VST windows in ableton?

How do I emotional Soul in FL Studio?

Attached: 1542481687919s.jpg (125x65, 1K)

>user finds out what mp3 is for

it depends on the vst I think

you mean I can't alter it? that sucks... I wanted to make a video grabbing the desktop but the VST window is bigger than the screen

They're usually fixed-size, so unless the VST itself specifically allows for it, you can't.

The closest thing you can do, if you're on Windows 10 or Mac is to change the DPI scaling of the system (it's the thing that you use when you have a high-res monitor and you don't want to lower the resolution just to not have everything impossibly small).

Which VST is it?

If that particular one doesn't allow resizing, you can see if your resolution is set to max (the display's native resolution), or if the DPI scaling is making things too big.

Soul and DAWs are polar opposites

>make regular bass and then make it worse on purpose
ひどすぎる!
I think I found the secrets. I'll be blowing up on the soundcloud charts in no time!
Use a lot of the soundgooderizer. This sounds like a cool genre; I hope you succeed, user :3

Attached: かわいいSOY男の子.jpg (1305x790, 145K)

Arturia synth collection..yeah that might work, but I wish it was just possible to draw the window larger or smaller

I only have the DX7 one and you can resize it.
Check if yours have a menu like this.

Attached: 2019-05-19 20_47_39-DX7 V_5-DX7 V.png (482x708, 243K)

wow nice thanks a lot...Strange that I missed that

You're welcome user.
Glad you found a way.

A rule of thumb is, if it uses raster images for its graphics it's probably not resizable, and if it's using vector graphics it probably is (google these terms if you don't know what they mean).

This doesn't always apply (this DX7 does use images, like various other plugins that offer resizing) since they can have different image files for size ranges like Serum does, but it's always worth checking every menu and option (as well as simply trying to resize the window from the corner).

hows my insightfully haunting lil ditty
instaud.io/3Hkn

Attached: 57365698536.png (534x319, 181K)

How do you learn to sound design in serum? All dubstep tutorials don’t really explain what they’re doing they just kind of tell you exactly what settings you need to make a bass.

Guys, are there any ways to create music easily? i have some ideas and i love to write lyrics but i really can't create music with this shit like fl studio or cubase? Please help

Once you learn the universal synthesis principles that you can use everywhere, the Serum-exclusive features will be easy to learn in a few minutes, and you'll be able to use it.

To learn these principles, download Syntorial from AudioZ and do all the exercises.

no

watch the steve duda serum walktrough vids

Yeah, dude. Reason makes it easy and it's $100 off now. Jump on it, jump on it, j-j-jump up on it!

best way would be to collaborate with someone...if you're writing good lyrics it would be a waste if you used them for some half ass production

What's the best/easiest way to sample clips of audio from anime (mkv) files?

use any ffmpeg frontend to transcode it to a wav and work with that

the vlc player

dekita! arigatou senpai. Now I just need to dig into the man page and figure out how to only convert a section so I don't have tons of massive wav files...
I use mpc-hc with the kawaii codec pack :)

Attached: ffmpeg.jpg (668x451, 137K)

there's a tonne of guis for it that will do that for you with a single click

But typing shit into cmd makes me feel like a kawaii hacker :3

instaud.io/3Hmf

>intel having a hidden os on their chips

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Management_Engine

The ME does run an operating system so the retards are correct in that part, wouldn't mind a look at the thread though if it's still alive just to read the satanic stuff, got a link?

Nice work Sammy.

audiosex.pro/threads/there-is-a-hidden-os-in-all-newer-intel-chips.44051/
enjoy

I loved this song in San Andreas.
Now I hate it.
Thanks.

youre welcome

Did you change the arrangement?
I don't remember it being like this.
Kinda sounds all over the place, composition-wise.

Attached: YEP, THIS ONE'S GOING IN MY CRINGE PLAYLIST.png (652x481, 46K)

i transposed it 2 steps lower and on the original the backing voices only joined by the end of the verse

the vocal lines are the same tho

It's pretty much never been easier.
Look up VSTs that do all the heavy lifting for you like Captain Chords and Autotheory.

Also is right, but Reason's players are still behind vs. MIDI creating VSTs.
youtube.com/watch?v=aMqfUXlLznA

There are too many genres that I want to make and combining all the styles into one would sound like shit. How do you guys deal with this?

make an album

Made some labels to keep me focused.

Attached: DCIM_0561.jpg (4048x3036, 1.48M)

Neat.
Albums should be cohesive though. I guess I'll just stick to shit generic electronic music ;_;

Attached: natural-tanzanite-taz-00325.jpg (180x180, 21K)

Did you guys watch like 10 million tutorials to git gud? I feel like tutorials are more of a nuisance for me rn? Am I crazy?

no i dont like them either

I actually got mostly gud before youtube and I'm happy about that because I can't stand video tutorials
reading is so much nicer and faster for me, also talking to people directly about shit, discussing all night, collaborating and working together on stuff for new input and ideas is what helped me most by far

Holy fuck, you weren't kidding about "rapidly escalated" - thanks user.

>when a buncha niggas download your track without saying anything about it

Rate my noise
instaud.io/3HnV

It really depends on the channel. More general stuff is better than HOW TO MAKE A SONG LIKE THIS ARTIST IN 5 MINUTES because they really offer nothing

>turn an image file into an audio file with a program called Virtual ANS

Does anybody else have a comment on this kind of thing or know of any other programs? Just saw this and i'm curious to start experimenting with it

literally just make everything
doing this for a time may make it obvious that you have a knack for some genres and suck at others

watched like 5 random tops in the first few years (mistake)
watch to get overviews of synthesis and your daw and then specifics, that's basically all you need

Attached: 237401237.jpg (1435x643, 329K)

I never knew additive synthesis could be sick as fuck.
youtube.com/watch?v=nJ7c23_2lnM
Fucking Propellerhead taking my money.
Reasonanon, are there any other RE's I should be looking into?

Guys, this is something I've always thought about, but never got a second opinion on. Would you consider using sequences as cheating when putting together a track.

clyp.it/ssgba3mn

How can I fix these drums and what should I put after this build

What do you mean by sequences?

you can do the image import with harmor and also serum im not sure of any others though

No, because they're likely really basic sequences that you would end up making on your own anyway... unless you're talking about some complex sequence that you wouldn't come up with in a million years. Then again, arranging is a pain in the ass on its own so go ahead and use whatever blocks you want to use.

>Is using X cheating?
The answer is always dependent upon the expectations in the genre's context

If you found out *Dubstep producer* sampled all of his growls obviously you would think he was a fucking hack. A random ass pad in the background? Not so much

If an ambient producer samples a drone that makes 95% of his track.....

so on

Don't have harmor and i'm still using an old version of serum that can't lol; i'm not interested in it solely for wavetables though, more just making garbled messes for resampling

hey guys rate my track

instaud.io/3How

>instaud.io/3How
I was expecting the beat to the be completely different and it threw me off. It's kind of nice when that happens though. That random filter thing towards the middle/end was 2deep4me.

yeah I did the track in like 20 min so I didnt change anything, not even that retarded filter lmao

What are your thoughts on my track so far?
instaud.io/3HoA

>instaud.io/3HoA
This sounds like an intro song to a corporate training video.
>Welcome to the team.
>Today is going to the first day of the rest of your life.
>Your work will impact hundreds of people each day.
>We're counting on you.
>Please, do your very best.
>Go get 'em, cowboy!

>instaud.io/3HoA
kek

Literally tons but I don't know your goals.
I'm on the fence about buying Parsec right now myself, because I'm trying to spend less money this sale.
If you haven't looked at it yet check out the JPS Harmonic Synth, it's a model of a digital additive from the 70s.
Other top picks from the synths for me are the ES01 (Yamaha CS01) for it's filthy waveforms and simple interface with plenty of mod options, and the Resonans physical modeling synth (recently updated with an ez-FM module).

Effects wise I'd recommend checking out all JPs BBD effects, Chenille is one of the best choruses I've ever heard.

Also if you're into generative and/or ambient look up RND, it's a probability based midi generator/modifier.
youtube.com/watch?v=c7giVPOftgw

Pretty much everything Lectric Panda and Robotic Bean make are top-tier.

Attached: I'm not German but my autism is.webm (754x936, 953K)

You need some more HF in your drums, maybe distort them less or if that's a break from somewhere layer some snappy snares on top.

Haha. Yeah, I tried to make something you would hear in the background of an old classroom video.

Fuck I love that cheesy horn.

So if hard drive, cpu, and ram have nothing to do with audio production.

Who was phone?

WIth affirmations you don't want to do negative ones like 'you don't... The top one should be something like 'You have enough equipment' or better yet you don't want to be reminded that more gear exists so something entirely different would be best

Oh also a quick tip that took me pretty long to find out is that the stock BV512 vocorder set to EQ mode can give you a Disperser-style effect on bass heavy material (on any setting other than FFT) but you might have to stack a few of em to hear it.

I know you aren't Sammy because you don't type like a chimpanzee but good Lord you're pushing on being just as dumb.

it hurts to watch internet tourists misuse memes to try and fit in on Yea Forums because they think that's what they're supposed to do

Thank you for the suggestions!
Resonans Physical Synthesizer sounds really interesting as does the ES01. I've got my eye on Super Audio Cart which sounds like it would have some overlap with ES01 in terms of sounds.
JPS Harmonic Synth also sounds interesting but I might just go for Parsec.
For now, I'm going to stick to stock effects and my guitar pedals. Those Swedes can't have all my monies.
How is Complex-1? I may be tempted if it ever goes on sale, but I'm also thinking about getting Behringer's Neutron so I can actually play around with things in hand.
>$20 randomizer
I can't give up control like that; too much OCD.
Do you mean something like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=T8knuAan0zk
I'm not that well versed with production jargon; Reason is my first DAW that I just got yesterday.

Attached: 312Bvjd8hQL.jpg (300x272, 13K)

Complex-1 is fun to play with, I just got it recently because it went on sale (50% off) earlier this month.
Sounds are fantastic and the modulation options are crazy.
Big plus for me is it has an audio input on the back so you can take all the weird stuff Grain can put out and subject it to all the internal routing of C1, or use it as an effect box for recorded/live audio.
That's one of the things I like about Resonans and attracts me to Parsec is the live audio input on the back, it makes for really interesting stuff applying it to perc loops and such.

youtube.com/watch?v=j70JpGokPyw
I can't remember the video I saw that compared the BV to Disperser (something about the eq band reconstruction) but this is a good example of how it can color your sounds.

I like tuts that focus more on workflow. Seems like barely anyone does it but seeing the creative process in action is better than whatever garbage technical tips a random beatmaker has to give

instaud.io/3Hq2

any advice on how I should go about trying to sell beats?

>trying to sell beats?
>INB4 MEAN COMMENTS

I thought you were quitting the trap game to make shit you actually liked lol

That's a Demarcus tier 808, fix your shit before you try to make commercial success.

>user mistakes Demarcus for somebody else kind of
DAMN BRO YOU LEVELED UP

Quick question before the thread dies

Is it common in pop or rock music to hide the rhythm guitar in the back of the mix? You always feel something is there holding it together and playing the main chords, but more often than not it seems pretty far into the back and sometimes gets covered up by others, so that it's like the other instruments get a full spotlight while the 'groove' of the song isn't lost. Is this normal? Am I on the mark here?

hey, not as dumb, just dumber. i said only hard drive dont have a relevant impact on audio production performance. i am upgrading cpu and ram this week BECAUSE of production.

Yeah that sounds like an effective practice.
youtube.com/watch?v=0fAQhSRLQnM

Interesting. I've been listening to a lot of modern J-rock where they've got a really dense sound more often than not, so it was a little hard to notice. They've really got the ability to hide the chords into the feel of the song down to an art.