I’m planning on listening through best/most important (mostly rock) artists discographies from the 50s up...

I’m planning on listening through best/most important (mostly rock) artists discographies from the 50s up. Can you guys suggest who I should add? So far I’m gonna listen to
>Elvis Presley
>Chuck Berry
>Roy Orbison
>Little Richard
>Carl Perkins
>Buddy Holly
>Bob Dylan
>Johnny Cash
>The Beatles+ Beatles solo stuff
>The Beach Boys
>The Rolling Stones
>The Who
>The Velvet Underground
>The Kinks
>The Stooges
>The Zombies
>The Doors
>Led Zeppelin
>Pink Floyd
>The Byrds
>Creedence Clearwater Revival
>Grateful Dead
>Jimi Hendrix
>Frank Zappa
>Captain Beefheart
Any important ones I should add? Any superfluous ones I should take off?

Attached: 00B532CF-7C0D-44E9-BAF6-D6D308AF96BF.jpg (392x640, 126K)

Love
The Moody Blues
White Noise
The Sonics
The Monks
Los Saicos
The Pretty Things
The Guess Who
The Remains
The Smoke
The Seeds
The McCoys
The Deviants
The Litter
H.P. Lovecraft
Small Faces
The Searchers
Rainbow Ffolly
Listen to the Nuggets compilation series

Pierre Boulez
John Cage
György Ligeti
Iannis Xenakis
Arnold Schoenberg
Karlheinz Stockhausen
Luciano Berio
Igor Stravinsky
Olivier Messiaen
Anton Webern
Luigi Nono
Edgard Varèse
Pierre Schaeffer
Sofia Gubaidulina
Steve Reich
Mauricio Kagel
Morton Feldman
Alban Berg
Helmut Lachenmann
Claude Debussy
Alfred Schnittke
Brian Ferneyhough
Sergei Prokofiev
Béla Bartók
Harry Partch

Thanks

Attached: E5E259B0-4AB4-4954-80BF-30C8AC51DD74.jpg (392x640, 106K)

i remember this thread user, im the one who suggested love and the moody blues

I've listened to most of the albums of most of these artists and I just recommend not forcing yourself to listen to the weak efforts a lot of them put out. A lot of the best albums of the 50's or 60's are by artists who only put out a few albums though so it's hard to recommend them as discographies.

Check out the (mostly?) rock category from this chart: That's exactly what you are looking for.

Jerry Lee Lewis
Yes
King Crimson
Tom Waits

How recent are you trying to go?

I don’t mind going too recent at all

Holy fuck that is shitty
>barely any 50s rock
>no Elvis at all
>a fucking Badfinger album
>no Pet Sounds/using The Beach Boys Today as the example of surf rock (the Beach Boys Today is their first non-surf rock album)
Holy fucking shit, avant-math guy. Delete the whole rock section and start over

>barely an 50s rock
I'm well aware of that problem, but you have to understand there is only so much you can do with limited space. I had to set up priorities.

>no Elvis
I agree he's important, but again, same as above.

>badfinger
What's wrong with them? They started power pop, so that's pretty cool.

>Beach Boys Today
It's not there as an example of surf rock, it's there as an example of baroque pop.
The representative for surf rock was Johnny & Santo (but I might replace that one in the next version).

Any other criticisms?

Stop taking over my thread with your autism chart. Yes, it sucks. Discuss it in another thread

Attached: 65865084-29A4-4EF9-A9D8-276258085067.jpg (392x640, 123K)

Great thread desu

The Residents are fun

Oh shit I forgot about the Residents. So right now, my list is +The Residents
Anyone else I should include? (This is my last TCC Tarot Card so I’m gonna stop avatarfagging)

Attached: 5DCF24DB-E783-469D-97DC-99BFECE04878.jpg (613x1000, 210K)

Steely Dan

The Everly Brothers
Dolly Parton
Loretta Lynn
Juice Newton
Carpenters
Four Tops
Donovan
The Residents
Gandalf
Ultimate Spinach
Silver Apples
Genesis
Return to Forever
Herman and the Hermits
The Hollies

Not all rock but you said mostly rock. I suppose the Four Tops don't count, nor the Carpenters, but I really like them and hope you do too. Have a nice day user.

Attached: chad spector.png (634x845, 1.05M)

Sabbath?

Thanks mate

seriously listen to Black Sabbath

Okay! Black Sabbath is on the list

Iggy Pop
Joy Division

Link Wray

can I get a source on theese

Antichrist Kramer designs for the Museum of Death. There are more, but those four are the only high quality scans. The rest are pictures of t-shirts

Attached: 1D255A36-4938-4EC3-B1EC-8EF7736D7C80.jpg (1000x747, 135K)

who would wear those in public?

Is that St. Theodore? Pretty cool.

>Pierre Boulez

This is where I stopped reading.

Good luck listening to the whole Grateful Dead Discography

Listening to the discographies of most of those artists is a moronic waste of time.

Thanks

Yeah
The Hierophant: Charles Manson
The Magician: Zodiac Killer
The Sun: Jeffrey Dahmer
The Devil: Richard Ramirez
Temperance: Ted Bundy

Nick Cave
Nick Cave
Nick Cave

In that case

Bathory
Celtic Frost
Neurosis
Swans
Death
Kyuss
Queeens of the Stone Age
System of a Down
Baroness
Chelsea Wolfe
Death From Above 1979
Grails
High on Fire
Kayo Dot
Mastodon
Opeth
Thantifaxath
Wrekmeister Harmonies

enjoy! this is a fun project

He also did art of Ed Gein as “The Hermit” and Aileen Wuornos as “The High Priestess”.

Will do
Thanks mate
And Myra Hindley and Ian Brady as the lovers

Attached: A54DC337-5114-4031-9AA6-B4A866F66524.jpg (750x1000, 165K)

>There’s barely any 50s rock, and no Elvis at all.
As I already told you, there is only so much you can do with a limited amount of recordings. There is a limit of 100 recordings when it comes to rock, and those were divided in groups of 20 for psychedelic rock (including hard rock, progressive rock, and related genres), 20 for punk (including new wave and grindcore/metalcore), 20 for post-punk related genres (noise rock, post-hardcore, etc), 10 for indie pop / alternative rock (and related genres), and 10 for early rock (rock & roll, british invasion, etc). Do you understand how limited the chart is in terms of size now?

>Badfinger is the example of power pop, but British Invasion bands were playing power pop long before Badfinger came alone.
Any examples?

>Speaking of which, where are the British Invasion bands? I see the Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but that’s it.
Yeah, that's it because there isn't space for more.

>There’s more space dedicated to all the subgenres of metal and punk than to rock music itself.
Around half of the metal and punk genres on RYM are missing from the chart because of how tight the selection was.

>prog rock is represented only with one album by The Nice
There are many progrssive rock related albums, like for avant-prog, neo-prog, krautrock, space rock, brutal prog, and so on.

>but we have an album for Grindcore, another album for Cybergrind, and Metalcore, Mathcore, and Melodic Metalcore are all separated out with one album each like there’s much difference between them
There is. Even then, that's just five albums in total for all the genres you mentioned. That's hardly "niche".

>Folk rock also was a major movement when it happened, but it’s represented by one Byrds album and otherwise ignored.
True, I'm well aware of that, but the space issues wouldn't let me put it anywhere.

cont.

cont. from >It lacks a ton of major albums, Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper are both ignored.
That's because those album didn't start any genres, which is why I have Beach Boys Today and 13th Foor Elevators in their place instead.

>David Bowie only has one album, despite his major impact and the many major albums he’s made.
Sure, but similar as the above, other than that one album he didn't start any other genres.

>Same with Led Zeppelin and The Grateful Dead.
Same as Bowie.

>Bob Dylan isn’t in the rock section at all, and I thought maybe he was in the folk section, but he wasn’t there either.
He should probably be there, I just decided to go with Byrds since they are more representative of the rock side of folk rock, unlike Dylan who is more on the folk side of folk rock. I could definitely change Byrds for Dylan eventually, or even in the next version.

Again, you have to remember this: there is only so much you can do when you are restricted to just one hundred albums. I wish I could get so many other artists as well, but that's not possible as of now. I can replace some artists however, so if you want me to add something, tell me what I should remove to add that one instead.

Just listen to Nirvana man, anything else is pure garbage

all of this is right except that badfinger is good

Deep Purple (because theres more to 70s hard rock than Led Zeppelin, and they're another important stepping stone to metal)
about a million post-punk/new wave groups could make the list. The Cure, The Smiths, The Fall, Talking Heads... I assume you've heard them, but if you haven't, them
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Skrewdriver (to contextualize the entire idea of right wing punk, and they helped invent oi!)

See

>Sure, but similar as the above, other than that one album he didn't start any other genres.
That's not necessarily a measure of "importance." Genres come and go, most are completely forgotten. David Bowie's extremely notable in that his career is basically the guide to navigating the pop world and aging as new trends emerge.

>David bowie

>That's not necessarily a measure of "importance"
Right, but the chart needed a criteria for which albums to get in, which was decided based on genres, and the idea that going by a recognized album that started each genre would result in a lot of musical diversity.
Bowie surely was important, and in the first version of the rock chart I even had Low by him, but as time passed by I realized that it wasn't consistent with how the chart was being made. Again, the idea was to maximize the stylistic diversity of music, but choosing such an unique album like Low wouldn't fit this objective very well since Low never established any trends.
Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

I'm still pretty open to suggestions by the way, and I might even update the chart today, so now is the perfect time to suggest anything.

?

yeah no shit, like all this

100 spaces
>five fifties albums
>five British Invasion albums
>five folk rock albums
>five psychedelic albums
>five prog albums
>five hard rock albums
>five metal albums
>five punk albums
You still have sixty left

What do I do about all the other genres then?
I mean, there is surf rock, baroque pop, power pop, garage rock, southern rock, AOR, glam rock, jazz rock, metal (heavy, speed, thrash, death, black, power, prog, doom, stoner, sludge, groove, nwobhm, etc), new wave, new romantic, sophistipop, anarcho-punk, crust-punk, grindcore, metalcore, gothic rock, noise rock, no wave, post-hardcore, math rock, midwest emo, emo, emo-pop, emocore, coldwave, darkwave, ethereal wave, dream pop, indie pop, jangle pop, alternative rock, chamber pop, indie rock, slowcore, post-rock, alternative metal, nu metal, rap metal, funk metal, and so on.

It's not so easy.

>five fifties albums
There are two.
>five British Invasion albums
There are three.
>five folk rock albums
There is one.
>five psychedelic albums
There are already five.
>five prog albums
There are already seven
>five hard rock albums
There are four.
>five metal albums
There are 20.
>five punk albums
There are 20.

Again, take a look at the strcture:
Early Rock: 10
Psychedelic Rock: 20
Heavy Metal: 20
Punk Rock: 20
Post-Punk: 20
Indie / Alternative: 10

I think this structure is fine, and its size is proportional to the number of genres they have at RYM. If you think I should change this proportion, tell me what to remove to add instead.

Also, it's easy to make the lists you did when you don't have to make the entire one hundred. Try making the categorization for one hundred albums, and I will tell you how so many important genres are missing. Again, easier said than done.

Imagine Dragons

>ctrl+f "miles davis"
>zero results
this board is shit

OP was asking for rock

Deep Purple, including their mid-70s work (think Burn)

Not sure if this is relevant or not but for jazz-rock fusion Tommy Bolin and Jeff Beck definitely rank up there.

>OP was asking for rock
>OP mentions Johnny Cash
Is OP a moron? Or are you?

I am OP and I said “mostly” rock. Folk revival stuff is okay given how it effected rock at the time. I like jazz too, but I’ve heard a lot of it before. This thread is more for getting into a lot of rock, as I’ve only heard a few of the classics
Thank you for your suggestion though, I don’t want to seem ungrateful. Even the guy who suggested a bunch of modern classical guys, I am grateful to

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.21M)

I don’t want anyone to think this is an anti-jazz thread or that I’m an anti-jazz op

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.58M)

Cause it’s not and I’m not. I just wanna heard and understand the history of rock. And stuff like the folk revival is so interrelated it would feel weird not to hear it

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.86M)

Love and The Moody Blues are based af

No

What are some weaker ones to avoid? And what are some ones to listen to?

It was

Elliot Smith
XTC
Electric Light Orchestra
Oasis

Personally, I think you should just reorganize the entire rock section. Classical is divided into eras rather than genres, which helps it a great deal. Rock starts in the 50s, so from then to now you have seven decades. You need a minimum of five albums per decade, that’s 35 albums. Most decades have multiple scenes that need to be added, so you add groups of five where needed. This seems much more logical to me than having an album a genre, as many major genres won’t get adequate representation and tiny subgenres get inflated representation.
5 fifties albums, 20 sixties albums, 20 seventies albums, 20 eighties albums, 15 nineties albums, 10 two thousand albums, 10 twenty-tens albums = 100 albums

Queen
Metallica
Radiohead

Nirvana
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Smashing Pumpkins
Foo Fighters
Pearl Jam
New Order

If that's the case, metal is definitely related right?
Angel Witch
Annihilator
Azymuth
Bruford
Candlemass
Chick Corea
Cos
Freddie Hubbard
Gbaor Szabo
Gilgamesh
Husker Du
Journey (their first album)
Kraan
The Shadows of Knight
Stanley Clarke
Snakefinger
Stormwitch
Sunbirds
Todd Rundgren
Venom
Warlord
Weidorje
Witchfynde
Yngwie Malmsteen

Attached: chad spector 2.png (634x652, 844K)

>I think you should just reorganize the entire rock section
I think the rock section is close to being as good as it could possibly get.

>You need a minimum of five albums per decade
I disagree with this statement. This isn't representative of quality nor diversity, so what year something was released in shouldn't be of any relevance.

>Most decades have multiple scenes that need to be added, so you add groups of five where needed.
That's way easier said that done, especially considering the fact that there are dozens of rock scenes.

>many major genres won’t get adequate representation and tiny subgenres get inflated representation
Around half of rock genres on RYM are not on the chart, so you don't have to worry about tiny subgenres getting inflated representation (they aren't even there).

>= 100 albums
My categorization is as follows
Early Rock: 10
Psychedelic Rock: 20
Heavy Metal: 20
Punk Rock: 20
Post-Punk: 20
Indie / Alternative: 10

So, based on this, from where do you want to take to add whatever it is that you think is missing?

>5 fifties albums
There are 2.
>20 sixties albums
There are 21.
>20 seventies albums
There are 16.
>20 eighties albums
There are 42.
>15 nineties albums
There are 15.
>10 two thousand albums
There 4.
>10 twenty-tens albums
There are 0.

I insist, it's more important to divide the chart based on stylistic diversity rather than release year (which shouldn't be relevant at all).

Also, the analogy with classical doesn't really work because classical had a much more lineal development compared to rock (at least until romanticism).

>I just wanna heard and understand the history of rock
Not the full discography, but check out Pure Reason Revolution's first album for something recognizably rock that could never have been made in the 20th century.

>stuff like the folk revival is so interrelated
Not really. I mean, they are related, but the influence isn't that big over rock in general.

> being this wrong

Yeah, Bob Dylan was a massive influence on the metal scene.

> the metal scene is all of rock in general

Never have I seen a thread as autistic as this one
Bump lol

Yeah, Bob Dylan was a massive influence on the psychedelic rock, hard rock, progressive rock, punk rock, post-punk, indie, alternative, etc scene.

OP here, I'm not actually going to listen to your trash albums
Just going to listen to Linkin Park for the next few hours and ban all of you

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-18-14-15-48.png (1280x720, 642K)

I don't even like Bob Dylan, but he clearly influenced more than half of those

barely

barely is the most that most artists can hope for

not really

It's just statistics. There are too many influential artists for any one to have more than a small fraction of the influence

>Any superfluous ones I should take off?
The Zombies, Buddy Holy and Roy Orbison.

Current 93

fifties albums
>There are 2.
sixties albums
>There are 21.
seventies albums
>There are 16.
eighties albums
>There are 42.
nineties albums
>There are 15.
two thousand albums
>There 4.
twenty-tens albums
>There are 0.
That kinda helps my point. Why is it skewed so weird?

Yea Forumstants

Fats domino nigga

Attached: 1544385809825.gif (305x360, 1.03M)

Ok

The Ramones
The Ventures
The Gerogerigegege
Goblin

Maybe if you're going to a punk or metal concert.

big black