/jazz/ general

/jazz/ General. Musicians edition

What do you play?
How do you practice?
Do you want to bring back the Downbeat blindfold tests?

Attached: 81CZigY4qML._SX355_.jpg (355x351, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pIuHaAW3MFs
youtube.com/watch?v=XWYnfiSvjSk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder that he is the only relevant artist in modern jazz

Attached: B2729554-569D-42E9-B736-F9152236773C.jpg (600x900, 272K)

lol

Attached: 1551314506960.png (1024x1004, 1.01M)

bump from page 10

Attached: 2019-04-18 10_43_18-Burton_Corea_Metheny_Haynes_Holland - Question And Answer - YouTube.png (435x439, 405K)

Where are the charts?

God there are only 4 posts and they are all shit-posts, what has this world come to. What happened to the power and complexity and Jazz? Why can't people appreciate it anymore.

Give me the 'trane any day.

can it be the Pane Trane?

Attached: olatunji.jpg (355x355, 24K)

kek
any trane is a trane worth riding, especially if it's blue

let's do some tranespotting and post great tranes
love this one, such a spicy, energetic trane - the title track is amazing

Attached: africa brass.jpg (400x400, 104K)

Yea Forums's an utter shithole.

You losers need some /criss cross/ in your life

Attached: 6D676086-19CB-41FD-B3B9-53EDF70354E9.jpg (1200x1200, 2.03M)

I know, but at least the classical general has some replies

Recommend me some third stream

Attached: D8851662-9949-4D3A-B447-652C3612F126.png (220x220, 72K)

The opening to Stardust is great as well

Attached: 047A1825-5B7A-43EA-B6AB-62D0EB050CF3.jpg (220x215, 12K)

This has to be the hardest shit I've ever had to practice. All the tiniest details matter so much more than other genres. I just hope in the end I can actually play over the classics.

Attached: 1545074419639.jpg (607x607, 28K)

Rhythm is most important but yeah all the details matter. But if your rhythm isn’t always 99% accurate and precise your playing will always sound amateurish.

Turns out even Criss Cross can make a good album when they actually stick to black musicians who know how to play.

Porgy and Bess by Miles Davis is fantastic and also a great example of very early modal playing.

Nice

BRING BACK THE DOWNBEAT BLINDFOLD TESTS

is there a "scene" of modern jazz as good as the south london guys that've been coming up

how many coherent "scenes" of jazz (that put out albums) are there even left

New York/Boston is great, the avant garde there and the old guard are amazing. LA has some stuff but it's primarily NYC/Boston.

who are the big defining artists of those scenes? definitely interested, including in avant stuff

youtube.com/watch?v=pIuHaAW3MFs

In NYC you can spend a week there, go to a different jazz club every night and see a pretty good show every night (depending on the week and how lucky you are - every once in a while a show will be a letdown) but most of the shows will be excellent and it’s hard to say that about anywhere else in the world.

But the NY scene is all about post-bop and the avant-garde whereas London is really more about hip hop soul jazz fusion.

based Criss Cross poster

never seen Dakar talked about in Yea Forums. Absolutely love the darker and kind of mysterious vibe, and it is warm as fuck too, one of my favorite of his records

youtube.com/watch?v=XWYnfiSvjSk

Attached: dakar.jpg (500x375, 28K)

that does sound intriguing, I'll add it to my wishlist
more trane is always good anyways

Basically everyone that did anything for Criss Cross or worked with someone who did stuff for Criss Cross.

what seven clubs would you go to in new york in one week if you wanted to see a good show every night?

underrated record

I'm not the one you were asking but I go to New York and hear live jazz 3-4 times a year so I'll weigh in anyway. Mostly it depends who's playing but the most consistent jazz clubs in New York are The Village Vanguard, Smalls, The Jazz Standard, The Bar Next Door, Smoke, 55 Bar, and Zinc Bar. The Stone is great if you like European style free jazz. There are other clubs that can be great sometimes but it really depends who is playing.

I'm trying to get into King Gizzard. What do you guys think about them? Favourite song or album?

Attached: king giz.jpg (153x153, 10K)

No

band is fine but they're only related to jazz in that theyre sometimes influenced by jazz fusion