I wasn't alive when this came out, how popular was it back in 1998...

I wasn't alive when this came out, how popular was it back in 1998? Was Neutral Milk Hotel a household name or did they only get popular more recently?

Attached: file.png (640x640, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nojqxeugwSw
rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/in-the-aeroplane-over-the-sea-112548/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

global rule 2 sir

it/they were outed long long after they broke up.
u realise theyre actually an 80s band.

No nor at ba
It didn't even big in the indie scene until a few yrs after

They only got popular because of Pitchfork through a list from 2004. Before that everybody called them average.

its rather mediocre anyways. the only people who wank over it are here on Yea Forums. i listened to a lot of indy/college/community radio online that played this type of shit art music (back in 98 onwards). it was rarely mentioned or played. then again the velvet underground took 20 years to gain popularity after their last album

Attached: Capture.png (419x130, 6K)

I know some SJW types who assume Yea Forums is an evil haven for the alt right that listen to it

MODS

>1999-early 2001 exist

1998 was 20 years ago, when do you think we are ?

Anyone else remember Holland 1945 being a massive hit? It was all over the radio for like a month or two and then everyone suddenly forgot about it, like mainstream stations and everything. I remember all the cool kids in my high school blasting it from their walkmen constantly

This is bullshit. The album was very popular within the indie rock or w/e community, same as with the Kinsellas' work. Mid 00s is when they slid more into the mainstream.

source: im a grandpa

youtube.com/watch?v=nojqxeugwSw

Lol wrong.

Nice indie band. Hardly anyone but hipsters had heard of them back then.

It was popular enough for Rolling Stone to cover it, back when Rolling Stone still had clout

rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/in-the-aeroplane-over-the-sea-112548/

1) Neutral Milk Hotel has never been a household name. Elvis is a household name, The Beatles are a household name. You would have to use a very liberal definition to put Neutral Milk Hotel into that category.

2) The album got good reviews after it was released. It generally got ratings such as 3 out of 5 and 6/7 out of 10. So it was regarded as a good album even then.

3) The album and band popularity increased after the album was mentioned by Pitchfork and Rolling Stone in 2004. We can see this because not long afterward all the critics started rating it 9/10 out of 10. etc etc.

they were never a household name you mong

My theory, could be wrong cause I wasn't there - Aeroplane had 2 lives, it caught the very tail end of analog life / print media / 90s alt DIY word of mouth culture, then migrated onto the internet in the early 00s and took off with the digital media boom. Millennials who were too young in the 90s were thus first exposed to it in its 2nd life, creating the impression that it was some lost forgotten classic. Gen X'rs will tell you though it was pretty popular and well received pre 00. I'm from Athens and know a few people who played on the album / were around when it came out so that could be a little biased.

It’s not that complicated. It’s never been a long lost forgotten classic. That’s not for anyone who wasn’t cognizant at the time to say. Upon its release it was a huge critical success and that’s easy for anyone to verify online. It’s alwys been known as a classic among music fans. That’s really it.