How to write a song

I seem to do okay coming up with riffs, and chord progressions, but writing lyrics always stump me. Any tips on how to get better at coming up with lyrics outside of writing more lyrics?

Attached: 4L_mPq8pwlr.jpg (480x480, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ke99JUOmU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Finds a lyricsit and co write together

Be Frank Zappa and just make words up

What do I do if this isn't possible? That's another thing I'm having trouble with since I live in bumfuck nowhere

Just write everything that comes to mind down, that and read a lot. Most of my inspiration for lyrics comes directly from literature. Could be a sentence, could be a paragraph, but that's where my best lyrics come fro m

I can help! hmu www.soundcloud.com/official_lil_grey

Are you me?

Which type of genre are we dealing with?

Think about it less as lyrics and more as poetry.
Good lyrics can stand on their own even without the backing music.
I'd recommend just reading some poetry or something like that for some inspiration once you have a theme or topic for the lyrics, and if you have a good flow, sometimes entire verses or even songs can come to you once you narrow your thoughts down to a single idea or topic.

I just like to do stream of consciousness style and just sing along random lines and words along with my song demo.
later go over the lines and edit then to resemblance coherance

youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ke99JUOmU

move somewhere else

Just think up a half baked short story or literally just say any words.

The words don't matter, just the melody.

pull a david tibet and just rearrange coptic texts to fit the melody

just make up pretentious meanings for it and you'll be fine.

Subject yourself to life in general. It'll make an impression on your writing. Put yourself in strange/interesting situations and eventually it'll rub off on you you'll start writing some good shit. The best lyrics are the ones that you really don't have to labor over. It's about creating a context in which that stuff can occur.
At the same time don't "wait for inspiration." It will strike as a result of you writing a lot.
Another thing is to pin down the emotion of the song and just use words that are on that vibration. I've had rare instances where the words and melodies were written simultaneously, but if you typically write melodies first then I would say to try to resonate with the core emotion by maybe playing it for a long time and just trace along those lines lyrically.

have something awful happen to you

no u

Psychedelic bedroom pop

Take a shower and start singing

Thanks for the advice anons. Will start reading poetry and stop trying to give a fuck

This. If you can sing well and can write a catchy melody, the words are secondary. When I write lyrics, they usually create music on their own and once you're in that "zone" they practically write themselves.

Also - to start - write about what you know. Then once you get good at that, write about what you don't know.

>pin down the emotion of the song and just use words that are on that vibration
Well said user

the biggest, most influential musicians write vague lyrics that can appeal to most people, even if the emotion and mood they are targeting is obscure or rare