Unironical Question

Do you genuinely think that part of the general praise this album is receiving is because it's indie music made by a women?it seems a bit out of proportion to me, is it overrated? if you think so, why?

Attached: Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising.jpg (1200x1200, 361K)

i only really like the first song on the album but the rest is decent i guess

Absolutely. The music press has completely embraced identity politics and it taints their "reviews".
In poptimism's stated goals (as an ideology, because that is what it is) it says that seeing female and minority-made music as critically-viable should be one of their goals, thus it will always be tainted with that obvious bias.
I subtract 2 points or in Rotten Tomatoes, subtract 20 percent for a black or woman-led film to get a likely more accurate score.
The scores are very inflated nowadays.

No, it's because this year as been absolute shit for music and and this is a decent record, so publications need something to talk about. Also it's a pretty cover which doesn't hurt. It's not that this album is that great, it's that everything else this year is that bad.

nah its just a genuinely good album made by someone who has connections so thats why its getting a lot of buzz

i refysed to listen

Fuck no, this album is one of the best of the decade. If people honestly believe this is anything to do with her gender then they need to look back to the 60s, where even when sexism was rife, female performers were still a huge part of the music industry.

Unironically same. I might give it a spin in a year or two once the meme factor surrounding it dies down. I also might not because it seems kinda forgettable.

You’re right but not in this case you can’t name one male indie/pop album from 2019 that’s better than this

Production is lovely but I couldn't care less about it lyrically. Her delivery didn't do much for me either.

have sex incels

Idk about any politics but Julia Holter just makes this kind of music but better, so I don't care about this album

i love this album. my AOTY so far

if my two cents are worth anything i'll say its not very forgettable. a lot of the moments still come back to me pretty often

this, its alright
also this
so to combat unfair review scores based on who made something you lower review scores based on who made something. got it

indie pop hasn't been good since 2005

unironically, have sex

Best of the year so far easily imo.

No, Titanic Rising m is just really good. However, I will agree that the whole “women in indie” movement has led to the celebration of some unbearably average music. Or maybe that just comes with the genre, idk.

Can you find a review that explicitly praises her for her womanhood? It’s just a fantastic pop album honestly, the album doesn’t even deal with themes related to her being a woman.

AOTY so far incels

This year has been shot but that doesn't make this a masterpiece

This, the first song is outstanding

You treat an eight in the current year like a six before you listen to a record, if it's a true 8, it will become clear.
I manage my expectations due to prior experiences with current year 8s and 90 percent RT scores.

Sex doesn't impair my critical-thinking

obviously not, but pubications can't talk about records that have been talked to death about already. they need new material for their business of selling advertising to be sustainable.

The fact you have to ask if the praise is because she's a woman shows you're an incel who is looking for reasons to dislike the CLEAR and OBVIOUS AOTY that is also a contender for AOTD

Attached: A043100-R1-23A.jpg (1464x2232, 1.96M)

It’s a really solid album in my opinion. One that I actually like more each time I listen to it. Everyone talks about Andromeda and Everyday but Mirror Forever has great production and what I think is the best hook on the album. Honestly, the whole record is immaculately produced, and the songwriting remains strong throughout. Not to mention that at just 42 minutes long, it definitely doesn’t overstay its welcome. I think there’s room for improvement but honestly, I can’t think of any serious complaints somone could have with the album. Unless they just hate her overall sound, which seems pretty hard to hate. The hype definitely feels more warranted than it did when Snail Mail put out Lush, which was just kind of bland. Titanic Rising, by comparison, is an ambitious yet fully-formed and cohesive effort that I think deserves the praise it’s getting

indie has always been about industry plants and celebrating mediocre music made by trust fund faggots