/classical/

Knappertsbusch Edition

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXV4ZjJclZ8

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #3. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #5. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>General Folder #6. Deutsche Grammophon stuff. Also there's some other stuff in here.
mega.nz/#F!DlRSjQaS!SzxR-CUyK4AYPknI1LYgdg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy Folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Jewish Folder
mega.nz/#F!lk0lGSTQ!SAIvBwgyVF1EGEMUjranEw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Book Folder #1. Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw
>Book Folder #2. Comprehensive list of the most important harpsichord and piano pieces through history
mega.nz/#F!1xJgVSLA!i2eLakjehx5DY8qYUzS0Zg

Previuos

Attached: 500x500.jpg (500x500, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dQFmsitbK1I
youtube.com/watch?v=uPt-uZC8uDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=okiHvXciADk
youtube.com/watch?v=qh7sBAUd3hI&ytbChannel=null
youtube.com/watch?v=ca1DU606JJI&feature=youtu.be&t=1656
youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA
youtube.com/watch?v=_MQa6XM8HPY
youtube.com/watch?v=XTfkhxoI0os
youtube.com/watch?v=D6hb5eVJ388
youtube.com/watch?v=HQu3Zp1MJcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ZRBALTnKc9M
classicalmusiconly.com/discover
m.youtube.com/watch?v=XN4P5WXTX9M
youtube.com/watch?v=U2_StFAixM0
youtu.be/llB7NaWLUc4
youtube.com/watch?v=XH29v3eE0HY
youtube.com/watch?v=3hPkJW95jsw
youtube.com/watch?v=kM0KCuDqlvg
youtu.be/ONRTF0ocyfE
youtu.be/uIlfuf2wUok
youtu.be/yLGeJ9mrNfU
youtube.com/watch?v=7er67HScVF8
youtube.com/watch?v=AdzSPCmwcAk
youtube.com/watch?v=1xQjdSMM8Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=1wguHh4dZFs
youtube.com/watch?v=YXNkUgrK4R8
youtube.com/watch?v=VLEag-NJUWA
youtube.com/watch?v=jBxHJ3lPcA0
youtube.com/watch?v=LvDfFcR5izY
youtu.be/FzI5eSA-Eck
youtube.com/watch?v=4MzTExwiR1I
the-wagnerian.com/2014/03/the-best-ring-cycle-of-all-time-winners.html
talkclassical.com/48200-favorite-recording-der-ring.html
youtube.com/watch?v=wN_RqLna77U
youtu.be/BQpW4AVPg2o
open.spotify.com/track/1inCGcskZI0yUF82Zer4Gc?si=pbbghU_RSie4oYxNY3k1qA
youtube.com/watch?v=fKxHcYHDV6Y
mega.nz/#!3Z1EFazT!8mRj3Ngqs9qjyiDwnIH-BcKePNKbADK2qdn0bxlyuc8
mega.nz/#!KQlUXYzC!_QxmUtAoBjAwjRmW-UFQOnKVICFJD7epXRiZmQcbjDE
youtube.com/watch?v=ggrLXu-o8Ug
youtu.be/1bYGmISF3ME
youtu.be/bWp0xxWM0wc
youtu.be/7Cn7ZW8ts3Y
open.spotify.com/track/4XwKWRw68aAXy85e6giPY7
youtube.com/watch?v=GjC1kAxGuXI
youtube.com/watch?v=dnlaCenlNHk
classicalmusiconly.com/lists/works/chamber-music
youtube.com/watch?v=uptD9rsshtE
youtube.com/watch?v=zGLW1Ip5bk4
youtube.com/watch?v=7v8zxoEoA_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=7KfsZkYFv20
youtube.com/watch?v=o-Epwh-foCU
youtu.be/J6oTIjvw_-8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

"petzold"

Attached: tchamosqui.jpg (900x900, 125K)

nigel farage

niger fagrage

why the fuck do we have a dapussy only folder

Attached: 1545596191217.jpg (1105x914, 139K)

*ahem*
fuck schumann and this trash piece
youtube.com/watch?v=dQFmsitbK1I

Okay guys, give me my the best sounding opera recordings: best sonics, best balance and good rendition. CD only.

Daily reminder that most of Beethoven recordings are inaccurate to how Beethoven wrote it. This CD contains a 59-MINUTE 9th symphony according to Jonathan del Mar's research, and to the best of my knowledge, maybe the only recording in existence with Ludwig van's original tempi.

Attached: cover.jpg (500x500, 83K)

frankly, I've never understood Schumann. Every big composer seems different and at least modestly original to me, but not Schumann. Is it because of a particular environment he lived in? I can grasp it through other composers' music, but he seems too jaded and impenetrable, it's like a room filled with cigarette smoke, full of people.

youtube is full of good HD recordings, retard

>Daily reminder that most of Beethoven recordings are inaccurate to how Beethoven wrote it.
Pretty sure that's the case for most composers.

youtube.com/watch?v=uPt-uZC8uDQ

Question, typically how long are recodings of Beet's 9th symphony? The recording I listen to is 65 minutes usually, and I remember other recordings I've listened to being longer but I'm not sure.

this 3rd movement seems to fit well with the message of the 4th movement

youtube.com/watch?v=okiHvXciADk

Well, the Karajan 1963 recording is 67 minutes long, and the most recent Ozawa recording is around the same time, if you chop off seconds of applause.

Benjamin Zander's recording with the Phillarmonia Orchestra clocks slightly shy of 59 minutes, following the original tempo. Honest to goodness the first movement is a lot better when going at the intended pace which is almost breakneck.

Stravinsky: A staged version of L'histoire du soldat
youtube.com/watch?v=qh7sBAUd3hI&ytbChannel=null

I'm looking at that now. I agree about the first movement, was listening to a 1958 9th earlier and it was like "hearing" paint dry. Thanks for letting me know.

Reminder that Paul McCartney is the single greatest musician of all time. This thread is worthless since you retards discuss not-Paul mccartney musicians. And the worst thing is: you unironically think any Stravinsky ever reached the greatness of Sir Paul. Pathetic.

bait - no effort edition

>this "symphony" not only has several recordings but also three grammy prices
Look at this and tell me we don't live in our most decadent period.

Attached: 636943963524.jpg (900x799, 142K)

I want to more seriously get into classical music. I've got a couple of composers that I enjoy, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Grieg are among my favorites. Any advice for developing a deeper appreciation for it?

Here's a piece I really like:
youtube.com/watch?v=ca1DU606JJI&feature=youtu.be&t=1656
At 27:36 (If the link somehow breaks the timestamp)

Attached: 1549348563476.jpg (3391x2360, 2.13M)

Dumb.

Attached: E06C230D-6157-4641-9BC8-E3E74FC9B8BB-4493-000006E5F43EB8E5.jpg (554x554, 35K)

either the mighty handful scriabin or french impressionism

Bro, Bro wait, How are we going to reach the nirvana with this shitty fast tempo?

Attached: Sergiu-Celibidache-The-sound-music-tone-is-movement-it-is-created-by-constant-and.jpg (183x235, 10K)

Fuck off with your pop idol boomer

look for Debussy orchestral/piano works, Atterberg symphonies or concertos and finally Scriabin three symphonies

Ignore him, he is just a pleb
youtube.com/watch?v=hoINrtIWpTA

Call me when fucking Bartók write a song as good as Penny Lane or Yesterday, faggot.
Paul McCartney twisted classical music in order to maximize his pop songs' greatness. He literally used classical music on Yesterday, as a backing sound throughout the song.

Jesus Christ, where did you find that video?

>Paul McCartney twisted classical music
Nobody said ever

>doesn't know the biggest memeconductor of this general
user... I...

New here, so this is my first time hearing Maximianno Cobra.

Dear God, I had always ignored, how the fuck does he even do something that fucking stupid
shit is almost two hours long, wtf

Check out the quartet on Yesterday, and the classical instrumentation on Penny Lane. Mccartney used classical music to achieve the perfect pop music, a superior form of music.

It's a fairly good recording, however to an extent it depends on your opinion of Zander and the Philharmonia. He does go into detail as to why he chooses to go with the original rather than the standard tempo. It's one of those things where once you listen to it once everything else just kind of goes awry because you realize it's supposed to be that vivacious and the original reviews make sense (it's defined as violent, furious, once put as being "like flowing lava"). It's not really supposed to be regal.

well, he is know for making the longest recordings of the classicals

It's all George Martin though

How have you arrived to this general, dear user?

since /comp/ is dead I'll post here

How do I write catchy melodies like Vivaldi?
I can find 100 resources on harmony, counterpoint, fugues, arrangement & orchestration, tonality, atonality etc etc but never anything on catchy melodies and phrases which is literally one of the most forward and recognizable aspects of music. I mean you can hardly hear a Vivaldi concerto or Scarlatti sonata without humming it in your head for a few days. How do they do it?

Paul is the genius. He had the idea of the string quartets. Just admit that he's a genius.

be Italian

Couple of days ago. I recently re-kindred my love for classical through Vaughn Williams. I was browsing Yea Forums one day and found the general. Was only lurking until today, though.

If you want to hear something wild, check out The Fireman.
youtube.com/watch?v=_MQa6XM8HPY

/comp/ fag here. It's quite literally what you said. Hum something, and try to build off of it. A good melody is memorable because it establishes a theme and uses that theme as the basis. To take an example from Mozart, since he's pretty much one of the undisputed masters of melody - listen to how the melody breathes, and how it reuses segments for handful of bars, then chances those segments at the very last second. If you want to practice - try works that are like Satie's or Webern's: horrendously short. If you have one page as a limit to work (and an instrument of your choice, a single instrument), you can do your studies within a very small parameter. Studies for winds, strings, percussion, piano, you name it. So long as you give your melody the element of a natural breath, it'll sound a lot better than just a steady stream of notes.

What are some pieces with a slow tempo and dark mood?

youtube.com/watch?v=XTfkhxoI0os

Got anything else?

Pieces that refect the violence of both world wars?

youtube.com/watch?v=D6hb5eVJ388

petzoldini

Got anything else?

Beethoven's tempo notations are inconsistent and confusing. They don't really make sense whichever way you read them so people tend to ignore them. Beethoven got a brand new invention, the metronome, and notated his works using it because he was always uptight by how performers played his works. Most musicologists assume he made mistakes when reading it and wrote down the wrong timings which is why they are inconstant.

Then why the hell do we follow his stuff on all movements but the first one on the 9th?

youtube.com/watch?v=HQu3Zp1MJcQ

Händel

youtube.com/watch?v=ZRBALTnKc9M

Attached: Grünewald_-_Crucifixion_Karlsruhe.jpg (800x1032, 145K)

The individual movements are not bad, but it really doesn’t make sense as a symphony. It is very obvious that it was composed over a long period and cobbled together.

Got anything else?

literally the best classical music recommendation engine on the internet

classicalmusiconly.com/discover

Attached: 1557677160072.jpg (747x850, 380K)

Lou Harrison - Symphony No. 4 “Last Symphony” : m.youtube.com/watch?v=XN4P5WXTX9M

3 beautiful movements, and then the most horrifically botched closing movement I have ever heard. It’s a completely separate work.

thanks, youtube has been absolutely shitty for me lately

the key thing here is you can filter out your recommendations by genre, era, composer, famous, obscure, etc... and if you signup you can have recommendations based on your taste extracted from the works you starred and the composers you followed. This is something YouTube or Spotify cannot simply do.

Looks interesting.

Thanks mate. Created an account and ready for more classical.

The lists for Händel and Telemann are ridiculously tiny. I can't even find Handel's organ concertos..

and two tone poems

What you need is a heavy dose of late/post-romanticism/early modernism. You've been recommended Scriabin and french impressionism (mainly Debussy and Ravel obvs, though you might enjoy Fauré and most of Saint-Saënz, mainly his chamber works and his third symphony), which is ideal, though seeing as you like Beethoven you'd probably benefit from listening to Schumann's chamber works and symphones/concertos and of course Brahms'. I'd recommend you also check out Strauss' tone poems and his two ballets (though mainly his first one, Josephlegende) and Dvorak's main works (chamber, concertante, symphonies, can't remember and highly doubt whether he wrote any ballets or no, but of course that'd be great too).

Speaking of ballets you should listen to Tchaikovsky's main inspiration and influence in that department, which is Léo Delibes' three ballets, La Source, Coppélia and Sylvia.

I'm tempted to recommend Mahler's symphonies though they might be too massive for someone into Tchaikovsky and Grieg who were normally a lot more gentle and lyrical, and also early, very early Schönberg, namely Verklärte Nacht and Pelleas Und Melisande

I was just gonna say, I can't find George Antheil of "Ballet mecanique" fame on the site.

>George Antheil
the site probably has a bias against shit "modernism"

>George Antheil
literally never heard of this faggot until now, went to youtube to listen this mentioned piece and I am disgusted

I wanna fuck an opera singer milf, they are all hot and damn smart and intellectual

youtube.com/watch?v=U2_StFAixM0

tbf Antheil is a relatively obscure composer besides that work.

cringe

>limpdicked american attempts at dada

Attached: ecb.jpg (1000x563, 244K)

If you can explain lucidly what about the music is “dada”, I would be surprised.

>le cringe xd
I bet you respect C*ge

You clearly don't know about Benjamin Zander

>unironically censoring some guys name like it’s a slur

t. ourist

Cage, this literally who composer mentioned, Stockhausen, Xenakis, Berio, Varese, etc... are anti-music hacks, the only reason that classical music has been dwindling in the past 50 years is that """composers""" like these niggers dominated the genre

Good, he's a mediocre composer.

c*ge is a slur.
Putting Xenakis, Berio, Varese and the literal who at the same level as St*ckausen and c*ge is too much, even for them.

>Stockhausen, Xenakis, Berio, Varese
>anti-music hacks
The only thing dumber than this opinion is thinking that c*ge and antheil are good

you can't deny the fact that the public lost interest in classical music thanks to these retards, only based Bernestein tried to make classical music interesting but he's gone now and everything has gone with him

Reminder that St*ckhausen became c*ge tier after like 1957, and this was 100% confirmed in 1968.
Tbh even if I like some works by Berio, most of Varese, and love a good amount of Xenakis, making their music the focus of classical music was a fucking mistake. Things only got worse with the fucking New York School.

>you can't deny the fact that the public lost interest in classical music thanks to these retards
no, that is entirely thanks to popular music, namely blues and everything that followed

>St*ckhausen became c*ge tier after like 1957
how in the fuck; some of his best works like Gruppen, Carre, Momente, Mixtur and Telemusic are from that period and have shit to do with c*ge
double dubs + trips confirm truth

>be regarded as one of the greatest cellists of all time
>dedicated only to music
>not even 30 and already on top of the world so to speak
>marry your mentor, a literal dream coming true
>suddenly a mysterious illness befalls you, your constantly tired and your limbs are numb
>Doctors fail to diagnose anything
>become depressed
>your body and mind slowly deteriorate, rendering you unable to do the one thing that brings you joy
>husband finds another woman
>die alone
why is life suffering Yea Forums

youtu.be/llB7NaWLUc4

Attached: jacqueline-du-pre.jpg (510x600, 90K)

Gruppen (his best work) was finished in 1957, it wasn't *after* 1957. I admit that before 1968 calling him c*ge tier is way too much (even if I find most of his work then rather mediocre or just good, not great), but from that year onwards, he's New York School levels of trash.

I'll accept he went to shit in 68 (though he remained way above NYS garbage) but every other work I mentioned (and some I didn't for brevity's sake) happened between 52 and 67, and they're brilliant works. Also, and I suppose this is now way beyond subjective, but I think Carre is basically Gruppen-But-Moreso and probably his best work. I do conceive of them as a sort of Parts I & II though.

>>husband finds another woman
wait what
I thought they were together until du Pré's death.

wasn't there a movie about her?
>husband finds another woman
also, that's what you get for marrying an argentine jew

>I thought they were together
they were MARRIED until then, but it doesn't follow from that that he gave a shit/didn't fuck around during that time

they were married, but not together to my knowledge. He did marry Baschkirowa a couple of months after Jacqueline died

Barenboim is an absolute piece of shit in pretty much all respects

Carre is probably my favorite post-1957 Stockhausen, and they only one I could consider more than "just good", even if I don't really see that work and Gruppen as two parts or anything like that.
>though he remained way above NYS garbage
Maybe I would put him above that, maybe, but he came up with both c*ge (Aus den sieben Tagen) and Feldman bullshit (Fresco), and that's enough for me to put him at that level.

fuck you Barenboim
youtube.com/watch?v=XH29v3eE0HY

Attached: 1555983760713.jpg (540x540, 46K)

>He did marry Baschkirowa a couple of months
Shit, it went over my head that they married months later. Damn.
Yeah, I remember reading that they were married until then and didn't think much about the situation.

and La Monte Young bullshit too!
youtube.com/watch?v=3hPkJW95jsw

to be fair that one's miles above anything american "minimalists" ever did put together

Agreed with what this user, , said, even if, yeah, it's still kind of bullshit.
Why the hell does it look like Pärt is the only good minimalist composer? And by far on top of that, at least as far as I know.

controversial opinion somewhat, but I consider Scelsi to be a minimalist, at least during his better years, and he's far above all of these examples. I don't really feel Pärt is that interesting anyway. Minimalism is something best left for popular music. That's pretty much the only way you'll get something actually interesting from it.

I still have troubles with Scelsi. I don't like his music, but at the same times it doesn't feel right for me to say it is "bad". Maybe I should listen to him more, I've only listened to a few works because it just wasn't an experience I enjoyed. But yeah, in a way he's even more of a minimalist than the composers we usually, well, call " minimalists".

This is the worst circlejerk I have ever witnessed.

Van Cliburn more like Slow Cliburn.

well, he had like four very different periods. I think his most interesting is his 55-65/7 period of orchestral droney music
>STOP DISCUSSING MUSIC
go elsewhere

Van Cliburn more like Gay Cliburn.

I'll listen to stuff from that period. Maybe I'll enjoy it this time, or maybe I'll decide that he actually sucked, both are better options than just not deciding.

I'd recommend:
String Trio, I Presagi, Kya, Quattro Pezzi Su Una Nota Sola, Hurqualia (one of my favourites), String Quartets 2 & 3, Aion (another favourite), Chukrum, Xnoybis, Anahit, Uaxuctum (yet another favourite) and Konx-Om-Pax

here's a very good performance by the by
youtube.com/watch?v=kM0KCuDqlvg

>Stockhousen
Time to save the thread with good music.
youtu.be/ONRTF0ocyfE
youtu.be/uIlfuf2wUok
youtu.be/yLGeJ9mrNfU

youtube.com/watch?v=7er67HScVF8
this

let us know when you get to it

Alright, thanks.

>boulez
>is actually music
>is actually good
Based Boulez.

This is not a discussion of music. At least, not a very high level one.

>STOP TALKING ABOUT THINGS I'M NOT INTERESTED IN THAT'S NOT ALLOWED

It is not a lack of interest in the music, it is a lack of interesting in the "eww...icky" approach to the discussion of 20th/21st century music.

it's still you going "uuuuh DON'T TALK, I DON'T LIKE IT", though, even though no one's shitposting or trolling or having an autistic fit, or going "P E T Z O L D", for a fucking change. Perhaps you'd prefer that, though?

Posting good music (again, messed up one of the links).
youtube.com/watch?v=AdzSPCmwcAk
youtube.com/watch?v=1xQjdSMM8Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=1wguHh4dZFs
youtube.com/watch?v=YXNkUgrK4R8
youtube.com/watch?v=VLEag-NJUWA
youtube.com/watch?v=jBxHJ3lPcA0

Honestly, the petzold-posting is probably more meritorious than this, because it is, at least, self-conscious of being a joke.

The types of people who make blanket derogatory statements about certain types of musics are, more often than not, totally incapable of articulating what they find disagreeable about said musics. It's just not discussion, and the horrific undertones of nationalism are very strong in the comments made in this thread.

Buxtehude

youtube.com/watch?v=LvDfFcR5izY

oh I see you're still salty people are dissing your shit husbandu Ant-hill

>the horrific undertones of nationalism

Attached: 7258b311849384e944d4eaa051ec33.png (295x326, 99K)

>horrific undertones of nationalism
WHAT in the name of FUCK are you going on about

Attached: heuuh.png (741x679, 970K)

Checked, Based, Baroquepilled
you're saving the thread

Attached: giphy.gif (360x338, 585K)

Shut up and post Gould.

*Changes your life*
youtu.be/FzI5eSA-Eck

Attached: IMG_20190428_180947.png (480x239, 27K)

youtube.com/watch?v=4MzTExwiR1I

Ring Cycle recordings: Which one's best? Did Keilberth do it better than Solti? Böhm or Krauss? Is Karajan really that bad? ........Barenboim????

also:
the-wagnerian.com/2014/03/the-best-ring-cycle-of-all-time-winners.html
talkclassical.com/48200-favorite-recording-der-ring.html

opinions?

Out of those, Bohm.
Karajan's not that bad, way better than Solti

I had only listened to Karajan and had no complaints. People here convinced me it was shit and told me to listen to '55 Keilberth and really, other than the singers, it sounds like absolute shit. I'll be honest: I very much prefer the music to sound good and the singers to be drowned out or be merely "good". I'm going to try Solti's Decca cycle next, see what happens

As good as Solti may sound the way he conducts drowns out like half the instruments so I don't care for it
He was (as he said himself in the Golden Ring) the kind of conductor who would first and foremost think of le epic brass in Wagner

>He was (as he said himself in the Golden Ring) the kind of conductor who would first and foremost think of le epic brass in Wagner
holy shit, even more than Keilberth?

Stravinsky

youtube.com/watch?v=wN_RqLna77U

Keilberth wasn't like that, the 1955 recording just makes him sound like that because it is recorded like shit. They had recently rearranged the way the instruments were spaced in Bayreuth but didn't change the mic placements for that recording yet, so the brass was recorded over everything else. Something like that. Maybe someone else has better details. If you want real Keilberth check his 1952 Ring (my favorite Ring. It's in mono though so oh well).
But yes, more than Keilberth regardless.

Should I just stick to Keilberth then? Or try Böhm? Go back to Karajan?? I just want a faithful and well balanced recording, preferably a studio recording, that focuses more on the instruments and everso slightly less on the singers

>Or try Böhm?
Do that.

Alrighty. Bayreuth 1966-1967?

Dude you are asking what's the best recording of Wagner's Ring. There's no harder question to ask here, they all have pros and cons.
I'd say to go for Bohm or try Swarowsky. But really at the end of the day you'll either give up or end up getting some audio software and editing together your ideal recording like an autist.
Yes that's the one. Worst thing about it for me is the Wotan's voice, but he's a good actor when he's not a pretty singer so I got used to it.

Attached: 117006927.jpg (1024x1024, 95K)

>getting some audio software and editing together your ideal recording like an autist.
really hope I won't come to that. I'll try Böhm. It can't be worse than the butchered job they did recording the 55 Keilberth one (though imagine what an experience it must have been attending those), and I guess Solti's out after that brass comment (I mean the brass is one of my main complaints in this recording). I have pretty much forgotten what the Karajan cycle sounded like, but I guess I won't be going back to that. Hope I'm not being secretly meme'd out of the better recording because of all the Karajan hate going around here (I actually love his Fliegende Holländer for example, and, on a different note, his Pelleas Und Melisande)

I like the Karajan Ring it just has inconsistent casting and he drags sometimes by being too slow, but I feel everyone acts their roles out pretty well and he 'gets' the score better than most.
If you want a Nwell recorded, studio production with so-so (but gods compared to current) singers and overall good conducting, try the Janowski Ring and see how you like that. It has the best mix of good modern sound with good performance I think.

>Janowski Ring
So it's between Böhm and this. Could you tell me something about how they compare? Doesn't need to be exhaustive

opinions?

Attached: 41m3mlQEfQL.jpg (500x500, 29K)

didn't even know existed

>Faure
His Ballade and Nocturnes make my soul smile

I got the free trial of Idagio, am I retarded?

They both have the same Wotan. He's not the most elegant, and sounds like a hoarse and tired king of the gods, but acts the part. He's just obviously older in the Janowski Ring so any beauty his voice does have (which isn't nonexistant by any means) is more prominent in the Bohm. Otherwise, the most important comparison for me is the Brünnhildes. Bohm has Nilson, who has a gigantic voice, and Janowski has Altmeyer, pretty much a polar opposite, with a much prettier and more delicate sound. Both fit the part and are 'into' it so no problems there. Both Hagens are great, you have an old but powerful sounding Josef Griendl in Bohm, and a young, energetic and likewise powerful Matti Salminem in Janowski. They both sound angry as fuck, as Hagen should, but Greidl feels like the more three dimensional portrayal to me. Siegfried is a tough one, as neither portrayal is perfect (since that's probably the hardest mainstream opera role ever written). Windgassen in Bohm is one of the most popular Siegs and sounds fine enough, and plays the character. Kollo tries to get along by merely playing the character (more than many Siegfrieds do mind you, the singing taking too much effort for them to remember to act) but his voice just isn't pleasant enough for me. Windgassen over Kollo is pretty much the main thing that makes me go for Bohm over Janowski.
Then there are the conductors. Both conduct it fast. Wagner liked his stuff played fast, and constantly complained it was conducted too slowly. Both conductors respect that. Bohm just feels like the more emotionally powerful portrayal, while Janowski has an ear for detail and there are a couple things that are clear in that recording over any other.
Finally Janows was the first digital Ring and so sounds great, while Bohm has some 60s hiss. However, since it was recorded live, the Bohm has more focus on acting, while the Janowski doesn't even follow the sound effects and laughter the libretto asks for. Bohm does.
That's it

>However, since it was recorded live, the Bohm has more focus on acting, while the Janowski doesn't even follow the sound effects and laughter the libretto asks for. Bohm does.
Ouch, that's pretty important to me. I guess I'll go with Böhm. If I grow disillusioned with him I'll just try with Janowski or go back to Keilberth

Knappy makes me take a nappy

Attached: iStock_000010376353XSmall.jpg (425x282, 107K)

Is there a Bohm recording that doesn't include the acting thing? I don't care about it and honestly it annoys me a little. I know it probably is a better idea to care about it because it's an opera, but the only thing I care about is music.

here; normally I'd agree with you, but no laughter? might as well take out all the HOIHOOOOOs and HOJOOTOHOOOs

What I'd like to listen to is a purely instrumental version of the cycle. Imaigne roughly 15 hours of pure, front-and-center, thematically unified, epic instrumental music

Vivaldi

youtu.be/BQpW4AVPg2o

Berlioz

open.spotify.com/track/1inCGcskZI0yUF82Zer4Gc?si=pbbghU_RSie4oYxNY3k1qA

Attached: 1557432176764.jpg (996x776, 62K)

Powerful Reger - Denn der Herr ist freundlich, Psalm 100

youtube.com/watch?v=fKxHcYHDV6Y

>Reger
Based

Attached: Max_Reger_1890.jpg (746x1500, 151K)

How blasphemous is the WTC on organ?

Very.

Pfssner

man the acoustic in the Janowski Ring is beautiful

fuck man, don't say that, I've been downloading the Böhm in flac for the last few hours

There are a few other recordings that come close. Other than Zander's that is. They tend to disagree when it comes to the little details.
I like Zander's recording for the most part, but I have a pretty big issue with the recorded sound, which sounds much too recessed to my ears. I did some personal edits to sound and came out a lot happier with it. His biggest victory for me is the orchestral fugato in the finale - the one following the tenor march. Fantastically played and at a breakneck speed. The only other conductor that I've heard that comes close to that sort of thrill is Abendroth.
Absolutely false. Read Kolisch's Tempo and Character:
mega.nz/#!3Z1EFazT!8mRj3Ngqs9qjyiDwnIH-BcKePNKbADK2qdn0bxlyuc8
mega.nz/#!KQlUXYzC!_QxmUtAoBjAwjRmW-UFQOnKVICFJD7epXRiZmQcbjDE
It makes a great case for Beethoven's metronome markings.
I'd pick Böhm out of those. Krauss is an interesting recording but there's quite a bit of orchestral sloppiness. Solti is overrated and overproduced. Karajan is not bad at all but quite mannered and objectively too slow in Gotterdammerung. Karajan's recording also sounds worse insofar as the audio quality goes with each installment. It's especially jarring with regards to the cuts, which are extremely audible as the singers/orchestra change perspective on each edit. Very distracting on headphones.

To answer your overall question: there is no perfect Ring cycle on record. In truth, such a thing was only possible - or, rather, close to possible - in the early 20th century, to about 1960. There are many good, solid recordings out there, but all of them are dis-satisfactory in one way or the other.
Böhm is fine. One of the best. It's certainly the best overall in terms of the pacing. The biggest issues are a leathery Windgassen and some rather nasty orchestral oppsies. The Funeral March in Gotterdammerung for instance has the brass quite off their game.

IMO Griendl seems quite bored with the role by the time it gets to Bohm. Listen to him 10 years earlier and he's a lot more into it.
Yes, it was recorded in a church and is acoustically probably my favorite Ring overall.
You don't have to choose just one.

>You don't have to choose just one.
I don't know, I tend to pick one of everything after listening to a few options, and even then I don't even listen to second options if I really like the first version I listen to (though that mainly happens with smaller-scale works like concertos or chamber music). I understand the appeal of having two or three versions to listen to for different reasons but it's a bit weird to me. It's just one of those things. Otherwise I wouldn't be so worried about finding a "definitive" version. This'll be the third version I listen to, so at least I will have had some variety, but something tells me I'll be replacing it with Janowski's soon enough

Well, between Bohm and Janowski I think you have two good contenders for a recording you can just stick with.

Best version of Kyrie Eleison
youtube.com/watch?v=ggrLXu-o8Ug

everybody already knows that the best version was done by Michel Chion

Attached: laugh at you.png (449x401, 490K)

Listening to Böhm now and loving it. It's so much better sounding than Keilberth it's like I've been listening to it through a can at the end of a string. I don't remember Karajan sounding this crisp either

Yeah it's a well engineered recording. Very good sound stage,

impossible challenge:

find a recording where the violas are too loud

>movement five of scriabin's second symphony begins

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg (550x441, 33K)

But it's shit

t. likes sorabji

In what moment I mentioned Sorabji in my post?

by your shit taste faggot

Retard

you mad

Attached: 17092008_1913987015554536_1442752452_n.jpg (300x470, 25K)

t.

Attached: brainlet.jpg (645x773, 56K)

Okay, tell me then why it is so good

Your thoughts on Kaija Saariaho? What's her best work?

Personally the big disappointment after hearing Zander's recording of the 9th is the fact that I'll likely never go to a performance of the 9th at its intended tempo, especially the 1st Movement. It's a bit of a sobering and despairing realization.

>invest time and effort into writing paragraphs that I'll swiftly disregard and reply with "ur wrong lol"
for sure, I'll get to it

?
What are you talking about

getting ahead of your shitposting

petzold

Renaissance polyphony (especially rhe franco-flemish school) was the most superior type of art ever conceived by human beings since the dawn of civilization

fight me

Attached: 1554894481623.jpg (1024x857, 162K)

Mind posting some examples?

youtu.be/1bYGmISF3ME
youtu.be/bWp0xxWM0wc
youtu.be/7Cn7ZW8ts3Y

open.spotify.com/track/4XwKWRw68aAXy85e6giPY7

If you're interested I can find you more

please respond

yes, it's a meme app, Spotify has 10x catalogue and 100x recommendation system

Schumann

youtube.com/watch?v=GjC1kAxGuXI

>I did some personal edits to sound and came out a lot happier with it
Would you mind sharing that?

Can you pay me in advance?

How much
I've got 5 Brazillian reais sitting here

Thank you. These are good. I appreciate you posting these.

He's back at it again
>This 1860 Source ends ALL Tempo Discussion: We must REVERSE our View on Beethoven and Chopin
Thoughts?

Attached: autisticsound.png (335x351, 141K)

What is postmodernism in classical music?

what do you mean by postmodernism

Japonism

This guy is actually fucking nuts

>postmodernism in classical
what is renaissance in post-romanticism?

Mennin's polyphony

what are the most kino chamber music pieces

i have yet to really get into full symphonies but ill be damned if im not addicted to chamber music

i suppose i also wouldn't mind some recommendations for symphonies if you have any suggestions that might entice a pleb like me to finally get into it

Beethoven's late quartets
Mozart's haydn quartets
Haydn's haydn quartets
just any string quartets really for starters

Mirrors, Lonh, Papillons, Clarinet concerto, Nymphéa

Schumann's Quintet
Fauré's Quintet No 1
Brahms' Piano Quartet Nº2
Messiaen's Quatuor Pour La Fin Du Temps
Tchaikovsky's Piano Trio

Some common traits:
Blurring of boundaries between high brow and low brow music
Stylistic eclecticism
Frequent use of quotations
Both an abandoning of and revival of (kind of contradictory, I know) old forms and genres

This is not complete and there are, for certain, many more characteristics, but these are just some.

That sounds more like late modernism and even neoclassicism. Postmodernism is mainly about the deconstruction of musical form, the integration of noise as a valid compositional element, a reconsideration of the definition of music (what is/isn't music, etc), emancipation from the "basic" elements that traditionally make up music (harmony, melody, rhythm), timbric explorations and improvisation

That's when it's proeprly done, though. When it's poorly done it's mainly "lol fukk the man xD" levels of anti-academicism and being-shit-on-purpose-ness

I agree that the elements listed are part of post-modernism, though I hadn’t included them (wasn’t the school of post modernism I was focusing on). There are many prominent postmodern works that use the characteristics listed (Berio’s Sinfonia, Schnittke’s 3rd String Quartet, Rochberg’s 3rd String Quartet, Reich’s Desert Music, etc.). However, I will concede that even academics who study this nearly professionally have a difficult time drawing the line between late modernism and post-modernism, so it’s still kind of up in the air.

No this is mostly wrong. All these features, such as the reconsideration of what is music and integrating noise, were part of modernism. Postmodernism returned to them and used them in subtler ways but the groundwork was much earlier.

Attached: 200px-The_Art_of_Noises.gif (200x278, 19K)

>were part of modernism
but were exceptions, and didn't really go anywhere, in postmo it became pretty much the norm. That's like saying experimenting with rhythm wasn't a crucial part of modernism because some composers did it during romanticism

So what's Bach's best work

Mass in B Minor, no question.

dying

Misa en Si menor

you mean that he left the art of the fugue unfinished for us is his greatest achievement?

This recording by the way

Attached: 4271552.jpg (300x255, 32K)

They are certainly not pretty much the norm of postmodernism, plenty of postmodern works don't use those features, they are just an accepted part of the palate of postmodern composition rather than outliers.

youtube.com/watch?v=dnlaCenlNHk

You can of course find outliers in every era but it was modernism that really started breaking away from the classical style and redefining music. That is what modernism was as a whole: making new rules for everything because it was the 20th century and moving away from past practices. Postmodernism was reintegrating past ideas with the new ideas and making a synthesis.

>Postmodernism was reintegrating past ideas with the new ideas and making a synthesis.

Attached: hwot.png (278x395, 190K)

it's pure retardation, it shouldn't be considered classical music

classicalmusiconly.com/lists/works/chamber-music

>it shouldn't be considered classical music
It's only considered classical by retards who think "classical" works well as a catch-all term for academic music

youtube.com/watch?v=uptD9rsshtE

classical music ended with Rachmaninoff and probably Bartok, otherwise everything except for popular classical music like Glass and Arvo Part is NOT classical music, it should be named as experimental music

classical ended when romanticism came along, idiot

I meant classical music as a genre, retard

>Postmodernism was reintegrating past ideas with the new ideas and making a synthesis.
that is literally neoclassicism

see

A reminder that classical music died when Mozart died

So then neoclassicism and postmodernism are similar? It doesn't seems for me

>So then neoclassicism and postmodernism are similar?
no
>It doesn't seems for me
because your definition is wrong

What does /classical/ think of based Jewish-Indian conductor Zubin Mehta?

the two worst kind of asians put together

Classical died when Jazz happened

this is what niggers actually believe

Ponce

youtube.com/watch?v=zGLW1Ip5bk4

ponce more like nonce

youtube.com/watch?v=7v8zxoEoA_Q

he is based and well accomplished, he went from pooing in the loo to one of the greatest conductor of the last 50 years

what did you do with your life, autist?

this

this

based

Based and Renaissance-pilled

you have to go back

correct

Bach's fugues exist.

fuck you and fuck Bach

embarrassing 3/10

Attached: b2r.jpg (717x880, 186K)

no fuck you

Bruckner

youtube.com/watch?v=7KfsZkYFv20

this

Oh, that's neat, there's this choral festival in my city coming up. Final concert is the St. Matthew Passion, there's a bunch of other ones including one of Poulenc's Gloria. Found my plans for weekend night for the next few weeks.

Medtner

youtube.com/watch?v=o-Epwh-foCU

>writing memorable simple classical melodies that are also exciting in almost every piece
How tf did Mozart do it?

no one had done it before and someone was bound to do it eventually

I know, it's unfortunate how he died so young. Posterity didn't see talent like his for another 100 years

also this

Haydn definitely did it as well. Might have used him as another example.

>for another 100 years
who?

Quote from Haydn about his death

I'm guessing he didn't say "Posterity didn't see", because that implies he was there to see it. I thought you were referring to someone specifically.

>mozart
>exciting

>your opinions
>relevant

further proof that Mozart is underrated

t. freeform loving romance retard

hey now, I'm a freeform loving romantic and also love Mozart

Mozartfags are too easy.

Check this song

HA GOTEM

Attached: only pretending.png (244x226, 2K)

>>/reddit/

He was the greatest artistic genius ever

Beethoven's music reaches greater heights because his incel brooding and severe autism resulted in tremendous intensity and subtlety of feeling, but Mozart has an effortless perfection and freeness to it which is almost beyond human

Actual nigger detected

I like them both as well, but I only realized how good Mozart is once I started writing my own music.

>song
Mozartfags are entry-level confirmed
I was not pretending to think Mozart's not exciting, he isn't. I'm just pointing out how much Mozartfags seethe when you point out the king's naked.

>once I started writing my own music
surely anything will sound amazing after that

Calm down nobody cares

>the king's naked.
your imagination is as limp as your listening abilities

seethe

This poster is Mozart trying to get people to forget about him and his lost letters so his scat fetish isn't revealed.

you're the only one being overtly emotional here
you say "revealed" as if it weren't a known fact

The fact he had a fucked up fetish does prove that he is in this godforsaken place.

I'm not the one giving someone 5 butthurt replies for posting 2 words, Mozartfag

Attached: sqQlid7.jpg (900x810, 55K)

but you are

>"no u"

see?

>mozartfag can't even count

seething

youtu.be/J6oTIjvw_-8

I legitimately don’t think classical has progressed much since Jazz. Jazz is more accessible than Classical music, both to the average man and your typical trained musician. It took place of what was seen as ‘intellectual’ music, and classical slowly started to fade. You’ll find jazz bars in adbundance, and it has influenced all of modern music, arguably in a greater capacity than classical

I enjoyed Mozart more when I started learning his music but maybe that’s just me

>this is your brain on popular music

>arguably in a greater capacity than classical
The concert hall I attend seats over 2k people and is always full.