Is liking the Smiths gay? I feel self-conscious telling people I like this band

Is liking the Smiths gay? I feel self-conscious telling people I like this band.

Attached: photo-of-morrissey-and-smiths.jpg (300x300, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PtzhvJh9NRY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's not "gay", but it is "shit".

There's no way you can be saying this in earnest
youtube.com/watch?v=PtzhvJh9NRY

The Smiths didn't have a gay fanbase in the 80s, it was mostly football hooligans

I legitimately cannot grasp the appeal.
Like, what is it for you?

Morrissey specifically almost never specified his partners sex and if he did it was always a woman, so no they aren't gay. But you shouldn't care about that though, u will grow out of Smiths around age of 17-18

Something about the harmonies and the general way it sounds is amazing. I don't understand how you couldn't like it.

The only person I know over 25 who listens to The Smiths was my former housemate who played League of Legends, pissed in bottles, and didn't pay his rent.
True story.

>The only person I know over 25
what are you 22? Nearly everyone who liked indie rock at all from the years 1980-1998 loved the smiths.

people associate Moz with Brexit and racism now

I guess I sort of understand how someone could like it, but it's really not for me.
Way too bland.

I'm 25, and my only friend who listens to "indie rock" likes stuff like Deerhoof and Animal Collective.
I suppose my 30-something former weed dealer listened to The Smiths every now and then, but he also liked Nirvana and a bunch of other middle-of-the-road type music.

The Smiths are one of the greatest bands to ever exist, probably second only to The Beatles. Everything they did is fucking gold.

yea, those like Smiths cause of nostalgia, if u havent listened to Smiths back then you won't like them now for sure

because you only know Pitchfork addled retards. Try talking to people who don't uphold 2005-2010 as the "pinnacle of music"

UGH, it is not gay, just get over it. True, they are quite a bit overrated by ending up as a doomer sensation recently, but they are among the classics of the 80s, and most of the young people have little to no knowledge of that era, so...

I personally don't think of that time period as the pinnacle of music.
Also, that guy listens to a bunch of old prog rock and jazz too.

Morrissey is MOST LIKELY bisexual, but then again, we can never be too sure since non-straight people were very discreet about their preferences back then. There are some letters which hint out his preferences though.

>I feel self-conscious telling people I like this band

When will you accept yourself, user?

Attached: 1495781300667.jpg (800x988, 132K)

they're pretty gay yeah (Moz is bi btw) get over it you're not a child
fpbp

Most of my other friends either like hip-hop or stuff from the 60's, 70's and 80's that isn't bland trash.
My gf likes classical music.

Are you American?

What was his rank?

I am, but I don't see what that has do to with anything.
I like a lot of British music.

It's because the appeal of The Smiths is intrinsically linked to being miserable and British. I genuinely believe an American can never fully comprehend these feelings

Idk. He used to watch streams of tournaments and sort of root for players.

Well thank god for that.

>all these people pretending the smiths lyrics arent insanely gay
i know its over is about johnny btw

>I genuinely believe an American can never fully comprehend these feelings
Maybe not in the same way, but there are plenty of serious anglophiles here. Tbh while I adore The Smiths, The Sundays always struck that miserable in England chord for me more so, but of course they're kind of by the numbers at that point.

>tfw I used to exclusively listen to The Smiths from ages 15 - 18, and would dance in my room to them and break down crying and curl up in bed and read Romantic poetry and write pastoral fiction

Still love The Smiths, but rarely listen to them. Probably the most influential thing in my life in terms of outlook and aesthetic, and I have very sad memories of very sad years associated.

Morrissey is only getting more based as he ages; hopefully he goes full Fash in a few years.

Attached: Morrisseyeyy.jpg (502x750, 76K)

Morrissey as Minister for Culture in a Mogg/Farage/Robinson government. Based.

BASED

don't count on it. he's just an English nationalist, which is diametrically opposed to fascism (there was kind of a war over this). monarchism, on the other hand...

YES

Rightwing death squads with quiffs and Smiths t shirts beating undesirables with Gladioli. Heading over to the National Front Disco on a friday night. Beautiful

>I am, but I don't see what that has do to with anything.

I don't usually use nationality as a defense against someone disliking something, but as someone who is British, I could completely see a band like The Smiths completely flying over the heads of any non-British person. It's the same with a lot of our comedy - especially our tv shows. Another example of this would be Mike Leigh's film Naked - whilst I've heard of a lot of Americans and non-British people admire the film, I feel confident in guessing that a large appeal of the film flew right over them. And I'm saying this as a high mighty "British culture is too clever or sophisticated for outsiders" - it's just a lot of our actually good culture is so intrinsically rooted to our own identity

>It's because the appeal of The Smiths is intrinsically linked to being miserable and British. I genuinely believe an American can never fully comprehend these feelings

Literally this.

*And I'm not saying this as a high mighty

This but also this

Your gay now

This but also this

Football Hooligans is a code word for closet gay macho man

Morrissey’s entire political ideology basically goes back to whether or not someone eats meat. He criticized the Chinese for their animal rights record and I guarantee his feelings on Muslims are more rooted in halal slaughter than anything. He doesn’t have a coherent set of beliefs other than that.

He has always been staunchly "England for the English" and thus a nationalist. His racist tendencies are largely based on animal rights, yes, but his primary concern is that they stay out of England.