Were Talking Heads influenced by Pere Ubu? Source if so. I think they were...

Were Talking Heads influenced by Pere Ubu? Source if so. I think they were. It would be very funny if so considering David Thomas mocked Talking Heads that one time.

Attached: themoderndance.jpg (1280x720, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/thetalkhouse/steve-albini-with-jerry-casale-devo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I doubt it. Pere Ubu were a commercial failure and it would be pretty hard to find out about some no name (seemingly) shitty band from Ohio in the late 70s. Talking Heads were probably more inspired by other punk music and African music or music that derived from it.

Pere Ubu was a failed American attempt at The Fall.

Except Pere Ubu was making music first...

Keep in mind even the girl from Blondie was super influenced by Pere Ubu so them being obscure doesn't mean shit. Just like Bowie found out about Velvet Underground pretty early Deborah might have found about Pere Ubu pretty early on (as well as the other new wave bands including Talking Heads).

>”the girl from blondie”

based retard

forgot her name I'm drunk as FUCK so don't be very harsh on me

Damn, I wish I was badass enough to come into this thread and speak authoritatively influences of bands from the late 70s despite not having read anything about the topic and just aimlessly speculate based on my personal feelings

It's not impossible I guess. I just think it's unlikely given the band's timeline. Pere Ubu didn't even have an EP out by the time 77 came out and I don't think it's crazy to say their sound was more or less established with that album. If anything they strayed further and further from a post-punk sound as the years went on and were clearly more inspired by black music than anything else.

Both bands were making music as early as 1974/1975, and both were originally from Ohio. People also listen to music live, not just through recordings. What a moron.

When did David Thomas mock them?

It's possible. As said above Blondie were influenced by them and Talking Heads were in similar circles. Lester Bangs was friends with Peter Laughner and hung out with Talking Heads and the CBGB scene too, another possible connection.

Devo was influenced by Pere Ubu, and David Thomas also mocked them. So there's that at least

>Pere Ubu didn't even have an EP out by the time 77 came out
They had concerts in 1975 and already released singles from 1975 and onwards. Retard.

The rest of your comment is almost as retarded. You fail at music.

and I don't think it's crazy to say their sound was more or less established with that album. If anything they strayed further and further from a post-punk sound as the years went on and were clearly more inspired by black music than anything else.

Damn man it's almost like this whole thread was made based on someone's speculation, warranting a discussion on the matter. Hold on let me go to www.diddavidbyrnesaynowewerenotinspiredbypereubuinthe70s.com and see what the forums say.

Devo were making music before Pere Ubu.

You can be influenced by a band that started playing after you.

"We are much better than these guys"
David Thomas referring to TH
Still, I don't give a shit I love them both

Pere Ubu formed in 1975, Talking Heads were performing shows in 1975.

Talking Heads wasn't from Ohio

Devo's sound didn't stray much from what they did in 1974, at least not in a way where you could say Pere Ubu influenced them.

hes right about black music

you are all retards Pere Ubu is so much better than talking heads
i love you ohio

Jerry mentioned it in an interview.
soundcloud.com/thetalkhouse/steve-albini-with-jerry-casale-devo