Hotel California is one of the best songs ever written

Hotel California is one of the best songs ever written.

Attached: IMG_2483.jpg (2399x1599, 676K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5EBQ-ljFlt4
youtube.com/watch?v=0aU57V6VBW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no

what is then? roxanne?

ho-tel
mo-tel

If he wasn't doing that fake Jamaican accent it would be respected a lot more. maybe

Yeah but they stole the chords from Jethro Tull

youtube.com/watch?v=5EBQ-ljFlt4

Frank Ocean's version is the best

Bad song

I think it's kind of a given to sort of use one in west-coast type music. It's not that bad in the song.

It falls into the genre of "songs which pretend to regret decadence because decadence is all the songwriters can think of, but they know you don't want to hear how sweet their lives are". Another in this genre is Pulp's "This is Hardcore", where Jarvis Cocker takes a break from snorting coke off the arses of women out of his league to write a song about how sad he is that he snorts coke off the arses of women out of his league.

How did that become a thing, though? It makes sense in something like Haitian Divorce, its set in Haiti, but why would white people in Cali as a subject in itself suggest a fake Jamaican accent?

it's really not that bad as it's made out to be honestly it's just cool and hip to shit on boomercore

Attached: 0614197_PE686822_S5.jpg (2000x2000, 389K)

True.

Except that it’s not

this

But it is though

Based quads

All Star is a better song.

Cringe and boomerpilled

As far as 70s rock goes, it probably is. The lyrics are simple enough yet incredibly descriptive, with this lingering tension on the background that peaks on the final verses before the last chorus.
The solo is insanely memorable all the way through, probably one of the most memorable rock solos ever. You can easily hum it entirely after a couple of listens. The 12 string also gives the song a slightly dreamy atmosphere that really fits the theme.
It's easily one of their peaks. Shame they never got to this level again.

>As far as 70s rock goes, it doesn't even touch the top 300.
ftfy

New Kid in Town is better.

Contrarian faggot

First sentence is beyond laughable.

c'mon bro it's at least top 100, a total staple

yeah but the second half isnt much

I do think it's good, even if everything else the Eagles ever made is garbage.

"On a Dark Desert Highway"
What is wrong with that lyric.
Seems perfectly fine and descriptive to me.

It's a radio staple, but it's not a highlight when you consider what rock was capable of in the 70s.

xD

>"songs which pretend to regret decadence because decadence is all the songwriters can think of, but they know you don't want to hear how sweet their lives are".
This.

there was plenty of quality 70s radio rock, this song is one of the very best, it deserves its place

>quality 70s radio rock,
Oh, I didn't realize you meant that. In that case, here's my vote for the top spot:
youtube.com/watch?v=0aU57V6VBW0

Attached: 22B02F74-9A50-4AC4-A8C1-103C7A1A6067.jpg (400x400, 38K)

not true

great analysis

I hate that fucking song.

Christgau was probably right when he said the Eagles were celebrating 70s hedonism rather than writing commentary about it.

A solid 50% of Steely Dan's catalog is superior to Hotel California, and the Eagles knew it.

Don Henley claimed "[Hotel California] is about decadence and the eagle is our national bird, so the point of the album is that we're gonna have to make some changes if America is gonna last another 200 years."

So basically,

So, nobody here knows the occult meaning of the song?

Listen to One of These Nights if you want to know why people hate this band. The smarminess of that song is hard to take.

That's not the Gipsy King's version

Was Hotel California based on a Jethro Tull song?
Ian Anderson: "It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time... I believe it was late '71, maybe early '72 when we were on tour and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single. The song, I believe, called "Take It Easy." And they were indeed the Eagles. We didn't interact with them very much because they were countrified laid back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff. And I don't think they liked us, and we didn't much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other's space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song, because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song "Hotel California" sometime later. But, you know, it's not plagiarism. It's just the same chord sequence. It's in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it's a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can't feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence. But it's difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn't been used, and hasn't been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It's harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you're gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar.