Waiting for something to 'click'

>waiting for something to 'click'
If you didn't enjoy it, why force yourself to think you enjoy it?

Attached: 1494167070410.png (612x491, 98K)

how else are you supposed to get into TMR? It's not a 1st listen album

Attached: captain-beefheart-12-06-13-a.jpg (660x674, 42K)

if you don't bother to wait for something to click, you miss out on potential enjoyment and enrichment. clicking isn't 'forcing oneself to enjoy something', rather, it's matter of building the right mental pathways to have a framework in which to enjoy something; or sometimes simply a matter of needing to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate that thing. This is true of all art.

Tldr?

Basically this. People think of clicking as hating something the first time around then pretending to like it. But really it’s more like you know somethings there the first time but you can’t place your finger on it. Clicking is placing your finger on it

good art doesn't require any convincing to be good.

basically, if you didn't enjoy it the first time, then you need to force yourself to listen to it later so you can be cool and enjoy an album that others like

listening to music is not an idempotent process

I'm not forcing it, most of the time when a album clicks I either already enjoyed it a bit in the first place or I'm revisiting it because I don't completely dismiss albums after a first listen (unless I strongly disliked it).

Sometimes I only give a song until it reaches the chorus to impress me. Life's too short for "omg it clicked after 6 listens". More like Stockholm syndrome.

>Ive never suddenly liked an album that I used to dislike

Music is an intellectual pursuit to some people, not just entertainment.

this is too cynical. the emotions I feel when listening to Spiderland - an album I originally didn't get - aren't simply artifacts of wanting to have the 'correct' taste or to impress incels on this subreddit.

I don't immediately revisit unless it's something I was listening to while in bed and I dozed off near the end the first time around. Like, something that recently clicked for me, despite years of listening to electronic music is Aphex Twin's SAW 85-92. I never really liked that album past the first track, a lot of it just felt too sparse and delicate for me to enjoy. Liked his other stuff though. It wasn't until I first started enjoying more bombastic yet abstract electronic music (Autechre's recent stuff, Xenakis, Qebrus) which then helped me appreciate busy stuff with more tiny sensitive textures (Voices From The Lake, Actress) which then got me into sparse minimal stuff (Basic Channel, certain Onkyo music) that I finally kinda got the mindset/mood I need to be in to be able to enjoy the parts I remembered from SAW 85-92. So I revisited it, and honestly it's great; may now be my overall favorite from him or very close to being so.

Because it's worth it, I hated a lot of my favorite albums first listen

retard

i am open to giving albums i didnt like at first a second chance. usually i can tell when something isnt for me on first listen though

youre not wrong but on the other hand its dumb to try to force yourself to appreciate everything. at the end of the day there is stuff you like and stuff you don't.

If you don't like it on first listen you'll never like it

Because I know I'm a stupid meatsack walking around with a head full of biases?
Do you really think you think everything you think without outside influence?

Sometimes I have a kneejerk reaction to something and revert back to my highschool tastes or something. It's nice to be able to get past that.

This post is a nice glimpse into the mind of an NPC.

Fuck you

Attached: file.png (324x229, 57K)

why so meanie user

Attached: 1549849854947.png (685x590, 42K)

Sorry user, the post difference was 3 minutes and I was in the middle of making this thread when the other apuanon made his thread.

Attached: 1493860560312.png (658x662, 37K)