DORIS DAY DEAD AT 97

One of the last big popular music stars from the 1940's.

>Actress And Singer Doris Day, Hollywood's Girl Next Door, Dies At 97

>Actress and singer Doris Day made nearly three dozen films and more than 600 recordings. At the height of her career, she topped both the billboard and the box office charts. Day died of pneumonia on Monday at the age of 97...

>...her career began as a big band "girl singer," and with Les Brown's big band she had one of the biggest hits of World War II: "A Sentimental Journey."

youtube.com/watch?v=PUw125JMVFI

npr.org/2019/05/13/225446337/actress-and-singer-doris-day-hollywoods-girl-next-door-dies-at-97

Attached: Doris Day.jpg (800x1020, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MGuKDPL9D5c
youtu.be/Idsd53Y9C1c
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/doris-day-birthday-two-years-older-than-she-though-95-93-pillow-talk-calamity-jane-a7663871.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Day
telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/8733533/Doris-Day-and-Paul-McCartney-in-conversation.html
youtube.com/watch?v=pJWBjga577Q
youtube.com/watch?v=EhHcgwzEQi4
youtube.com/watch?v=d7fH2tsF8u0
youtube.com/watch?v=AGXaHzxze_I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Doris Day was still alive? TIL

Good old people suck

yeah, I really thought she was dead

well, old gal definitely showed most of her peers, cheers to that. F

F

Rock critics have painted her, Patti Page, and Dinah Shore as a three-headed monster of syrupy pop tunes that dominated the airwaves until Rock Around The Clock arrived.

didn't know she was alive desu

>97 years old
Wow.
I liked singing que sera sera in music class. F

youtube.com/watch?v=MGuKDPL9D5c

Bleh.

Normal as Blueberry Pie: A Tribute to Doris Day [Verve, 2009]
Though I wish I believed McKay would have discovered Day if the 87-year-old box office queen hadn't devoted half her adult life to animal rights, the spritz, groove, sweetness and delight of this project not only raise Day from the shallow grave of the camp canon but give McKay a chance to grow up without going all sententious or stodgy. If by some mischance she's contracted the writer's block that can afflict kids who've spent years unable to staunch the river of new songs within--the only original is one of the few forgettables--then McKay has a future as an interpreter. At first the jazzy lightness of her arrangements seems like a distortion. But when you compare Day's "Crazy Rhythm" or "Do Do Do"--even the radio transcription of "Sentimental Journey" or a "Wonderful Guy" so much less brassy than Mary Martin's--you remember that like every Cincinnati girl of her era Day grew up with swing and probably resented the orchestral overkill she was saddled with. McKay's covers are jazzier and kookier than anything Day would have dared, or wanted. But to borrow language she's used for Day, they're "uncluttered, sensual and free, driven by an irrepressible will to live." A

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Her best song.
I'm gonna cover it. A Male singing those words is super creepy.

youtu.be/Idsd53Y9C1c

There is something incredibly comfy about old orchestral pop from the 40's and 50's. It's kind of unfortunate that the genre got BTFO so hard by changing tastes in the 60's.

That's surprisingly kinder words for DD than I would have expected from him.

Would I Love You is fun in a cheesy way.

>and probably resented the orchestral overkill she was saddled with

I'd resent too.

I only know that song because of the Simpsons.

Good voice. The 50s was obviously her artistic heyday but some of her 60s material wasn't bad.

Come on, guys. She was in her 40s by that point and forgive them if they wanted her to be in more mature roles and de-sexualize her a bit.

Attached: cd7.png (1367x235, 56K)

French jazz critic Boris Vian, who was generally suspicious of non-black jazz/variety artists in the late 40s/50s, and could indeed be pretty harsh on them, thought highly of her.

In 1940, aged 18.

Attached: 68469097.jpg (1045x721, 256K)

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/doris-day-birthday-two-years-older-than-she-though-95-93-pillow-talk-calamity-jane-a7663871.html

Apparently she didn't find out until her last years that she was born in 1922, not 24, although this seems a bit of a stretch and it may just be that her parents fudged her age on an audition form for a talent show.

I liked how she stood by Rock Hudson's side and supported him when he publicly announced he had AIDS. A real class act. RIP.

Like a lot of people, I suspect, I'm tantalised by what might have happened if she'd accepted the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate.

It could have revived her movie career and might have given her singing career a real link to the counterculture (which was already available to her, sort of, via her son, but she didn't seem to make any use of it). As she was a Republican and fairly right-leaning politically, I'm not sure though if that would have appealed to her.

>I can only regard people from the past as fully human if I pretend they shared my values
People didn't expect to like the same kind of music all their lives before the rock generation's massive imaginative failure to launch. Day probably loved her orchestral arrangments. Deal with it.

It's not about Day you illiterate, it's about a woman who did a tribute album.

She had lots of Hollywood rock & roll connections....from Kim Fowley (worked for her husband early on) to the Beach Boys (her son worked with Bruce Johnson etc.) and even Charlie Manson (the Cielo Drive murders were originally intended as a retaliation against Terry as well).

That's because they're misogynist little boys, committed to the myth that rock was neccesary or a good thing. If you stop listening to white music at about 1956, and pick it up again in 1970, you lose nothing of lasting value.

>People didn't expect to like the same kind of music all their lives before the rock generation's massive imaginative failure to launch
What does that mean?

literally who is doris day?

Too bad though, she had a lot of hardship in her personal life given her son's premature demise and being married several times to abusive husbands.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Day

I give.

Off the record, John Lennon was an admirer of Doris Day. He spoke about her with reverence during the Let It Be sessions as well as mentioning her in "Dig It" on the Get Back/Let It Be albums.

And...

telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/8733533/Doris-Day-and-Paul-McCartney-in-conversation.html

Checked on Yea Forums and no sticky.

What I mean, you retard, is that people in those days were expected to grow the fuck up and not act like they were 21 forever.

Doris Day was essentially a clout martyr.

Everyone is claiming this was a random robbery, but it's clear what was actually happening: her killers were driven to take her life solely for the sake of clout. They wanted infamy of their own and found it in gunning down a 97-year old.

As Doris was taking his final breath, she was surrounded by kids taking video and pictures of her. Why? For clout. No one was taking her pulse, no one was calling 911, everyone was standing around with their phones out as her body was clinging to life.

The moral lesson of Doris Day's life story should be a cautionary tale of the horrors of social media and how it's fucked our society beyond belief.

RIP Doris. See you in Heaven...

i loved her lads...

Attached: 048b38768363eba81a768b8ec4646ebf.jpg (1388x1921, 254K)

Yea Forums now is entirely GoT threads, people complaining that GoT is taken over by liberals, and people crying because there was a black lesbian n Star Wars or Marvel or some shit.

They have no idea who she was.

get a load of this guy

He does have a habit of projecting his own beliefs onto the artist eg. that one Blue Oyster Cult review.

I think you're right. She was probably the last living person to have had a major hit song in the 40s since Vic Damone died last year.

Not the last film star though since Kirk Douglas and Olivia De Havilland are still around.

>but some of her 60s material wasn't bad.
Latin For Lovers was a decent attempt at bandwagoning the 60s bossa nova fad.

Apparently she wasn't keen on live performances and didn't do them very well.

My nan never liked female singers very much, but she always loved Doris.

F
Watched her sit com growing up in the 70's
youtube.com/watch?v=pJWBjga577Q

There used to be a Youtube channel with 30s-50s tunes on it (Professor 78) and I just found out that it got nuked by a copyright bot.

Fucking shit, that was a good channel.

youtube.com/watch?v=EhHcgwzEQi4

Her charity the Doris Day Animal Foundation announcer her death. They stated that she had been in good health for her age until succumbing to pneumonia. I could believe it--she was still giving interviews as late as late year and looked darn good for 96 or whatever and was still fully with it mentally.

There is still Vera Lynn. Her first big hit ('We'll Meet Again') was released in 1939.

youtube.com/watch?v=d7fH2tsF8u0

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 78K)

Ok thanks. I admit this vid has sexier pics than the other one which just had photos of some record label.

Maybe (sort of) Petula Clark since she was a radio star on the BBC since she was 9 years old and cut her first record in 1949, but nobody this side of the Atlantic knew about her until 1964.

Her first UK hit was in 54 so she doesn't really count as belonging to the 40s at all.

10/10 made me lol

Harry Belafonte had a moderate hit in 1949 with a song called "Lean On Me."

youtube.com/watch?v=AGXaHzxze_I

Attached: harry-belafonte-recognition-roost-78-s[1].jpg (215x214, 15K)

I think people who mostly know the guy for '''that''' song would be taken aback at this big band stuff.

I was going to say Tony Bennett, but his first record was in 51.

I find the idea that copyright bots would actually target songs made by dead people when the world was black and white to be embarrassing and sad.

She was still alive? Well shit. I always liked her voice.