/prod/

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last thread:

Attached: Imagine Dragons - Evolve.jpg (1500x1500, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reasontalk.com/2019/05/kitput-remix-contest/
picosong.com/w86Rn/
instaud.io/3Fsk
instaud.io/3FOY
instaud.io/3FQQ
clyp.it/usmffe5o
clyp.it/m5edlwm0
youtube.com/watch?v=zvPhIm6Ttd8
instaud.io/3FUs
instaud.io/3FV8
youtube.com/watch?v=WtCFbmoEqZ4
open.spotify.com/album/5PMRqcZu3T90ensFTSSB67
youtube.com/watch?v=-morx_pzKME
clyp.it/wmbn2gjb
clyp.it/jactglyz
instaud.io/3G1j
youtube.com/watch?v=gcpSmN7OVRI
gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/show
files.catbox.moe/hwvzz6.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZXID1tPXs
youtube.com/watch?v=GNeyqFfXf7k
instaud.io/3G3T
instaud.io/3G5P
instaud.io/3G62
instaud.io/3G6I
clyp.it/ngdbf43x
clyp.it/sgb2zezj
clyp.it/mvdgi353
clyp.it/vkjnakfi
instaud.io/3Ga1
instaud.io/3F3x
instaud.io/3EPf
instaud.io/3Gar
youtube.com/watch?v=S7i4wL2QdAU
youtu.be/J29ppykqtvY
youtube.com/watch?v=40CX0yKiYX8
instaud.io/3Ghw
youtube.com/watch?v=CCVsdP2gfyc
instaud.io/3Gku
youtu.be/Jd7RGHs9XxM
instaud.io/3FBY
clyp.it/4k33pueb
vocaroo.com/i/s0iahFCBSIjH
instaud.io/3GmH
instaud.io/3Gpv
instaud.io/3Gqj
youtube.com/watch?v=qA17lYGLqpk
instaud.io/3GqR
clyp.it/0jhtrmgv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's a quality, comprehensive bass guitar sample pack? Trying to compose believable post-punk and goth rock without having to touch icky real-world instruments. Can be costly if necessary, I have a job and plan to buy some quality sample libraries.

Attached: 1549828629867.jpg (378x500, 84K)

Meme of the day

Attached: moral conundrum.png (996x1414, 3.02M)

zoomers suck

afaik top tier is spectrasonics trillian

Is there a way to render CPU spiking? I´m working on a song that has a very abrasive part in it and my CPU started spiking and it fit really well. I tried rendering it regularly, real-time and even resampling it directly in Ableton, but everytime the recording didn´t have the spikes in it.

Use something (that can record audio) external to the DAW that can have the DAW's output as input.
The simplest way is to record what comes out of your speakers by wiring the recorder instead of the speakers.

The newest uJam virtual bassist things are pretty cool, I only demo'd them though be cause I'm a poorfag and my brother actually plays bass for me if I ask nice.

What the numbers guy said, best off either recording your sound card out in Audacity, or physically routing the out back to an in to record it in your DAW, or if your DAW can just record from your master out to a new track.

I know at least one person that comes here both uses Reason and knows what they're doing so here you go.

reasontalk.com/2019/05/kitput-remix-contest/

However it should be noted by the rest of you that it doesn't specifically mention Reason anywhere in the rules, so you may be able to sneak your way in.

not mastered hope its interesting enough to listen on its own without vocals? picosong.com/w86Rn/

>that link

Attached: scared guitar boi.png (103x130, 22K)

help
instaud.io/3Fsk

Kraftwerk from a japanese angle is really played out, sorry

what do you mean

Do film companies tend to give a fuck about no-names taking samples from their shit? Disney specifically.

Attached: alice.png (1000x632, 877K)

sup guys, i'll have a lesson with the singin teacher tomorrow, let's see how that turns out

>Disney
They will literally go nuclear on your asshole if they ever suspect you're making money with their copyrighted audio.
I cannot think of a worse company to get into a legal dispute with aside from possibly Google.

as it is this is just three sections of music stuck together. Doesn’t feel cohesive. The B section started out nice but quickly became aimless nonsense. Stop repeating everything. Especially with angular music like this. Add little details and changes to give your song character and life.

Anyone here is used to creating granular soundscapes from instrument samples? I tried a bunch of demos from granular synths and most of them have those, they sound really cool.
I'm thinking about making a bunch of samples from piano and guitar to process them later on Max, what are some interesting stuff I could do? I'm thinking about recording simple chords for more ambient stuff, melodies for just adding some granular sprinkles and specific patterns of intervals played slowly (like ascending and descending diatonic and chromatic lines, jumping up and down on each type of interval, arpeggios etc.) for enabling more freedom with the granular processing itself. Any other ideas?

instaud.io/3FOY
is this any better

I've contacted three Youtubers today. Asked them if they wanted someone to write music for them.

>fucked around and got booked at one of the biggest experimental music festivals in the world
it's one of the smallest shows they have but still holy shittttt.
any tips/resources on playing a live performance with ableton live? i've only ever really worked in arrangement view and i'm not sure exactly how to translate my dense-ass tracks into a live performance. this will be my first live show (i'm glad they don't know that)

Attached: Cwcspin.gif (160x120, 1.55M)

Wait, so this will be your first live performance ever?

When's the deadline? Cause I feel like you're going to need to woodshed your set in front of your audience a few times so don't utterly fucking spill spaghetti in front of people.

Granular is my secret weapon and i fuck with it hard

imo you should keep your samples relatively simple.... like single notes as to not lock yourself in; non-instrument playing user's may not know this ofc but different notes on most instruments have different tonal qualities even when pitched to the same notes (beyond the inherent artifacts that are created when you pitch shift) so what I do for things like guitar is take multiple samples up the neck for future use.... and this works for layering as well since you get subtle mix of course

Yeah soundscapes are cool but personally i go granular for whacked out timbres

damn nice man

>intro is good
>don't know how to follow it

What festival is it?

it's in a few months. you're probably right about doing shows. honestly i was too autistic to look for small shows since i don't have much clout, but once i get announced at the festival i think getting shows will be alot easier. i'll definitely try to get other gigs beforehand and rehearse the hell out of my set, and my push 2 should make the process pretty straightforward.

still very noided about laptop issues, plugin issues, interface issues, pissing in my pants issues, etc.

If you haven't it's worth the time to pirate the deadmaus masterclass specifically for the episodes about "performing" (really more presenting) electronic music live.
Also he uses Ableton in the videos, so you may see things that are directly applicable.

Also congratulations! Good to know someone here is doing something with their life.

Attached: 1493955657205.gif (303x277, 1.77M)

>pissing issues
If you have significant anxiety about public appearance for real look up phenibut, it's not a meme.
It's basically like alcohol without the motor/memory effects or Xanax-lite, nearly the same mechanism of action.
It's pretty cheap too (if it's still legal in your country) and 500mg will do you just fine for low-key smoothing your nerves for up to 6 hours (with like a 1.5-2 hour come-up).

I did try Omnisphere at some point but I don't want to get Windows or iOS just to install it. I just want a huge bunch of .wav files, the way patrician companies handle their kontakt libraries.

From their site I gather that this is a plugin and not a sample pack. Is it possible to extract the .wavs?

you can try resampling sections of your music and putting it into a granular synth and moving the time axis along with the tempo. this can be tricky to pull of but it's awesome when you do it right.
one underrated method is granular sequencing: creating a repetitive sequence and then adjusting where it's playing in the sample until you find something you like.
whatever you do, start with high quality samples. unless you're going for that sort of style, shitty samples can really ruin patches.
pay attention to its stereo and panning, as that can really make or break whatever you're trying to do. granular synthesis is a great way to create stereo width.
i also find it helpful to separate my patchmaking from when i'm actually making music. it's very helpful to have a big library full of samples and patches to use. especially after you tune everything to the same key and categorize them well.
sampling classical music and isolating a chord using a pretty long grain release works surprisingly well. wow pitch fluttering sounds fucking sick on these kinds of patches.
and tons of automation : ^ )
also listen to tim hecker (virgins, radio amor), GAS (any), and arca (mutant) if you need inspiration
i would really like to get into max one day. have you found that it's worth your time?
i have it, and i'll prolly use it
i'll check it out, thanks
i really stick out as a Yea Forums type so i don't want to say. idpol lib music journalists can be vicious

>extract .wavs
I'm sure it could be done (not natively though), but the real appeal of those (for me) was their sample selection programming (forget their industry term) but essentially in addition to RR and velocity triggering they have a little AI that does things like only allow legato note play on notes that could be played on the same string, or select appropriate string slide or note off noise based on the notes being played.
As much of a cool idea I thought it was though I decided against it because of the aforementioned poorness and also I wasn't super impressed by the onboard amp effects.
However for ease of use I'd give them the benefit of reconsidering if they go on sale.

highly recommend you play at an open mic somewhere before playing any serious gig where money is involved. i was doing that for my first few shows. it's a good way to get used to standing in front of a crowd, and it's a good way to scope out how your music shapes out in different environments and how it sounds playing through different sound systems.

bump

So I'm looking at the pastebin and I'm wondering what's the first thing I should look into if I know absolutely nothing about this. Would it be music theory? Sorry for the dumb question.

i fucking dont know how to music
instaud.io/3FQQ

I'm struggling brothers. Idk if it makes sense, but I feel like I can't make music without watching a tutorial at the same. It's like I need that confirmation/validation so to speak.

I don't know what to do, I don't know if my high expectations are fucking me up

Attached: 7D8C30A6-BD3C-4229-817A-8E9BAB1325A3.jpg (329x417, 13K)

i'd go roughly in order of the way it's written

you have to know what program you're using and that midi is note information etc

you have to know what synths or vsts are and how they work in general

you (should really, really) know what a scale is and how chords are made to write a song

that's the bare minimum, thanks for reading it instead of asking some headass question

>high expectations are fucking me up
probably.
there comes a time when you have to stop watching tutorials user, eventually they don't help and they're just distracting

>here comes a time when you have to stop watching tutorials user, eventually they don't help and they're just distracting

the problem is that I'm a beginner (only been producing for 8 months) and I do find them distracting but I feel like I need to watch them.

if you're serious about this stuff, my advice is to absolutely absorb everything you can as quickly as you can from tutorials and other resources. this is the least fun stage in producing, but it's worth it. it's normal to feel the way you do right now. if you have high expectations, you should not be directing those towards making great make music right now but instead towards grinding as hard as you can in learning the fundamentals.

You will never make anything but EDM, synthwave and beats this way. What a pathetic fate this would be.

Ok, that really helps, too much information at once can be a bit overwhelming, thanks a lot.

Don't forget Future Bass like The Chainsmokers!

I'm already too boomer to know what that genre is

>that ostinato from Gretchen am spinnrade
Who would have thought remixing Schubert could be so fun?

clyp.it/usmffe5o

I finished up this single for my metal demo, idk.

I think you've still got a little timing offset between your drums and rhythm guitar.

clyp.it/m5edlwm0

Can someone give me some tips on how to improve this, or how to progress this track? I'm very new to producing this genre, and I know this gets a little repetitive but I'd appreciate some tips if you have them.

Attached: IMG_20190405_110847.jpg (1920x1080, 101K)

>a little repetitive
try very

you have to have way more elements than that to keep such a repetitive chord progression interesting. what genre is this supposed to be?

>i would really like to get into max one day. have you found that it's worth your time?
Not him but it really depends on what your goals are.

If you just want to edit patches it won't take long to learn (a few months to understand how it works and how to hack your way around things you don't understand) but you likely won't get much out of it that you couldn't by using VSTs or other Max patches.
For it to be really beneficial you need to spend a lot of time learning not only Max itself, but the theory behind DSP, which can go infinitely deep and complex.

For every year it takes you to get good at music, it will take you two years to get good at DSP (assuming you have no inclinations or "innate" talents).
Luckily Max makes it easier by letting you use stuff made by other people, but most of what you'll be able to do that way is already possible without getting into it at all.

It's like picking up a martial art. If you want to just do it for fun you can go easy on it, but if you want to use it for self defense or low-level competitions you need to work hard at it and spend some serious time practicing, and if you want to compete against other high-level martial artists you need to make it a full time job.

I started 3 years ago and I'm still a pathetic noob when it comes to DSP, and I haven't made anything that a plugin couldn't also do very similarly, but I'm doing it for fun so I don't care about the practicality of it.

What do you intend to do with it?
Have you considered any alternative? Reaktor is much easier to get into and can still be very powerful.

Bitwig is introducing a modular environment in the next version
youtube.com/watch?v=zvPhIm6Ttd8
Does this make other modulars like VCV Rack obsolete?
Can other virtual modulars do things that you can't do with this Bitwig system?

Damn, Demarcus really kickstarted the dungeon synth trend on /prod/

What is dungeon synth?
Have a couple of examples that show what the genre elements are?

instaud.io/3FUs

Is this even worth continuing to work on? I was kind of enjoying it but I got stuck.

Depressive Silence ll is the epitome of the old school first wave in my opinion. Very dreamlike and dense atmosphere, low production values, cheap romplers, lots of repetition and vamping on two chords that are often arpeggiated and one whole step apart, panflutes, strings, medieval percussion

some shit i made
instaud.io/3FV8

Can somebody help me identify the low frequency "underwater beating" sound is in this track?

Algae & Funghi Pt. 2
youtube.com/watch?v=WtCFbmoEqZ4
open.spotify.com/album/5PMRqcZu3T90ensFTSSB67

Thanks and sorry if it's a silly question. I'm out of my depth in here.

Probably some sample tweaking of drums or metal being hit. I heard a similar sound here and know that lndrcroy uses a jv1080 which might have yielded the sample.
youtube.com/watch?v=-morx_pzKME

Thanks. Can you pinpoint the tweak itself?

I would have to go out on a guess here but it's probably slowed down, lowpass filtered and possibly pitch shifted down due to the changed tempo. Moreover there is reverb and possibly delay applied, too. If you listen in closely it's not just one hit but several ones in rhythmic pattern. This pattern might be part of the original sound or might be created by the delay or random retriggers. Also try experimenting with slight tremolo, the tail after the initial hit seems to wobble somewhat which could also point towards a metal sheet being hit.

How do I get more into music production? I dabbled in it for a while but never really dedicated myself enough, although I love to do creative things but I always get deterred because my music doesn't live up to my expectations. How do I get into it?

Thanks a lot. That was detailed.

how long did you dabble in it?

God Douglas P. is so untalented it hurts

The first years more in depths and in the last few years just a bit. Would say about 5 years ago when I started

are there other vintage synths collections as good or better as Arturia?

I like it, has a nice Bach prelude vibe to it. That said, you have to be aware of voiceleading a bit more if you write in that style. But overall I really like it

the korg and roland ones

I don't know, m8. He's probably better at writing simple pop songs that capture people emotionally than you will ever be.

thanks, I'm gonna check out Korg legacy

How quick can you pick up music production and create something that sounds somewhat decent? A month? 6 months?

depends on your musical background. If you have none and no musical expectation whatsoever you won't get anything decent ever

Something like 6 months if you take every shortcut possible (like using samples and presets only, getting someone else to mix and master your tracks, etc).
Something like 3 years if you don't take shortcuts.
Much more if you want it to be actually good.

Assuming you're putting in some substantial effort, you have no musical experience, and aren't making a difficult genre like IDM or DnB.

I have no musical background. What do you mean? Do I have to play an instrument to make music?

It's heavily advised

Not him, and no, you don't need to, but it helps a lot in developing a sense of musicality that will make a difference in your compositions.

If you're serious about making music you can learn an instrument (I suggest piano or guitar, but piano is more practical for production) alongside learning production, or you can develop your musicality by producing throughout the years (if you haven't already developed it from listening to music).
Also, learning music theory helps a lot, so you can just learn that if your "musical intuition" sucks.

But without telling us a genre we can't give you the right advice, so what do you want to make?

Working on finishing up my ep, finished recording this yesterday:
clyp.it/wmbn2gjb

For me it was a few months, but that track was kinda an inspired fluke and I have a long ass musical background (pretty much runs in the family).
I'm getting towards where I can reliably make nice stuff now about a year in.

Ableton is fcking retarded lol

Tracker gang

Attached: Ableton Manual - P.1.png (1920x1080, 2.47M)

for some reason link doesnt work for me

post your most recent

Try this?
clyp.it/jactglyz

strange they only work if I log out...

>Dust is 30% off
>girlfriend birthday is next week
Would buying the plugin and giving her a music as a gift be too much?

>having a girlfriend
>making it
Choose one.

Meme of the day.

Attached: a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.png (887x1259, 2.46M)

can i get feedback on this pls

Of course you can!

instaud.io/3G1j
just put a song i was having trouble getting to be louder w/o it distorting into an online mastering website and this is hilariously loud i could listen to it at 40% volume before and now 20 is a bit too loud

Should have let the general die just like the dreams and aspirations of its userbase

the drums kinda make me want to sad emoji, they're also kinda too quiet

what threw you off the drums

>dreams
heh

midi sound-font feel

Fuck it, I bought the plugin. Also bought a little punch card music box in a wood frame to gift her some sweet tune I will make, much better than spending money on something expensive.

>much better than spending money on something expensive
What's important is that she agrees with you :)

someone link something to sample ok?

youtube.com/watch?v=gcpSmN7OVRI

sad

a group of anons all coming together for the love of a song and memes is sad to you?
It's beautiful.
You are sad

gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/show

Nice.

Fuck off Hurensohn

I'm just saving a dying thread

Fuck, you got me. I'm actually Demarcus, and my life sucks and my beats are lame but I've actually sold some so I'm objectively better than most of you assholes.

Any good place to get medieval percussion samples?
Thor has Casio CZ style oscillators so I'm interested in experimenting.

>my life sucks
Aww, don't say that.
You always talk shit about yourself. It's not good for you.

Attached: Sad Laff.png (1543x1545, 1.1M)

is there any choir machine vst that doesn't work with kontakt?

I gave that a listen and I like it. Especially these black and white covers with typewriter written tracklists have that nostalgic 90s flair

If you don't want to synthesize them yourself, find some general midi soundfont or sample old keyboards. It can and should sound cheap. You can also go the ambient route without any percussion. The early ambient Burzum releases were created on a casio cz I'm almost certain.

are there good vst collections for that?

>I can reliably make nice stuff
>I'm actually Demarcus

yeah any time somebody phrases their ability like that it's always a dead giveaway that they're actually ass

>hating kontakt this much

arturia has a casio cz emulation i think

>arturia has a casio cz emulation i think
Arturia doesn't sound that great though

Use what you have, that's the tradition

that's pretty god damn dismissive for somebody trying to make dungeon synth wtf

why, because I like to make my music to sound good? I think there should be no genre that makes bad sound its trademark.

Any tips on getting more punch from the beat while retaining warmness?
Also should I lower the reverb on shit?
files.catbox.moe/hwvzz6.mp3

arturia synths are kinda shit, try virtual cz or just google casio cz vst and see what can you find

Try to make samples unrecognisable. This isn't 1996.

This is actually really interesting and it reminds me of Japanese games and shit like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=v8ZXID1tPXs
youtube.com/watch?v=GNeyqFfXf7k

Then it randomly goes dnb at the end...

That percussion thing over the top is odd.

>instaud.io/3FV8
Drum with delay and lots of reverb and no dry sound. Then you pump the low and lower the treble.

>but I've actually sold some so I'm objectively better than most of you assholes.
really? how?

Your voice sounds familiar. What city you play in?

>I'm objectively better than most of you assholes.
>implying shaking hands and getting gigs is "talent"

reworked the drums
how does this sound
instaud.io/3G3T

I don't know what the fuck is going on but I instantly think squarepusher gone Mario or something.

>dnb
it's bad user

i never associated punch with lack of warmth... unless you're thinking that making cuts to make room for the snare is going to you over.
I think the lack of punch here is mostly a dynamic thing; i'd go with subtle sidechaining and trying to make the snare snappier in general

what made it bad

ask yourself what about it is good???
compare it to music you enjoy listening in that style

do i have to copy someone's style?

release the stems and let's have a remix contest

Don't have any live shows at the moment, this is a solo project recorded in my dorm. What do you think of the track overall?

bro if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing you're not going to be unique right away

Tbh not sure what the genre is exactly called, but tim hecker is an artist I was trying to emulate. My laptop is kind of shitty so whenever I try and add in a lot of elements I get a lot of underruns and it acts like it's going to explode. I get what you're saying though, I definitely need to have some more going on, I made this a little while ago and forgot about it but still wanted to get some feedback.

you can broadly just label it ambient
either way yours is shit by comparison, you really need to get with it in terms of sound design, that genre is all about morphing

Yeah, already knew I needed improvement. I'll focus on improving on sound design and incorporating more elements. Thanks for the feedback.

instaud.io/3G5P

drums need work and strings are kinda corny

Sigh.

>i'd go with subtle sidechaining
Ah.. sidechaining.
Bout time I learned.

Attached: 1546823763727.jpg (665x574, 39K)

Sounds ok. Production wise it needs a bit more work.
Song wise it's fine.

bruh are you serious?
i always assumed anything that sounds pretty nice here is spammed presets and samples or whatever and wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but i'm pretty impressed that you managed to make something that decent and not know what sidechaining is lmao

shut the fuck up

Shut the fuck up. Fuck you.

>without any effort

You mean the rattley shaker or the claves?

Do I add the bass on top of the string, drums an 808 (compressing the strings and drums to give it that big beat) or do I just increase the bass guitar?
Also what should I do to make the string sample more crisp?
instaud.io/3G62

I know what it is, just never bothered to get it to work correctly. I just found it too much of a pain.

Claves?

its too repetitive

I know. It's barely begun at all.
I need to add way more dynamics to it and more parts. Was thinking of getting a girl I know to sing perhaps on it.

Want to be a bit more ambient/burial too. Any tips on making it "muddier" in a good way?

ill tell you how to make it "muddier" but first u need to give me feedback on this

I did. Squarepusher riding a yoshi.
What did you want it to do though?

I wanted it to sound good

I didn't say it was bad. It's actually interesting and punchy.
But it's simply Squarepusher x Mario x Coco.

Anyone found decent classical recordings to stea-.. sample?

alright

use a filter like this and some reverb also lower the volume on whatever you use it on

Attached: filter.png (237x367, 10K)

Do you use specific samples of record artifacts or do you just let the artifacts in the main samples make it sound that way?
I used to fuck with recording pure record noise and layering it over the music to give it grain and soul.

Ah I already did that. Guess I should just boost it.

I layer various tape and vinyl noises together and blend them with shit like night street ambiance. When I don't feel like producing music but still want to do something sound related I just make this kind of atmospheric beds to use later

It's certainly muddier now.
lel
instaud.io/3G6I

Attached: marcille_face.png (420x420, 244K)

Pete and RePete were walking down the street...

Try rendering a few elements to track in order to free up cpu power. Alternatively look into trackers and sampling.

how hard would it be recreating the delay lama in serum?

Find old ass classical records in secondhand stores

if he listened to classical at all he wouldn't be asking

>going to the park tomorrow for some field recording
Name a comfier feel.

Attached: 71Jg9WL8NmL._SL500_.jpg (223x500, 14K)

finishing music instead of putting it off

Been thinking about that too. Seems like a decent excuse to go outside with a purpose.

recording your own samples in the comfort of your own home

synthesizing that *perfect* drum that you'll end up using over and over again

not getting called a talentless faggot when you post your clyp (((:

yes, the claves.

clyp.it/ngdbf43x

new

make your clyp public

no, i went on a purge and theres nothing but 4 yr old stuff on there now

heres a lil bonus just 4 u clyp.it/sgb2zezj

You guys know why, when I hold a sustained note, my laptop mic cuts in and out? I know I should probably get a mic if I want to make serious music but this is just for messing around

Working out a new concept for some ambient/experimental
clyp.it/mvdgi353

That metronome though

Kind of a dumb question, but those producers that do shit live from random samples (like in Boiler Room) are really good at recognizing keys or they just pitch shift everything?

Is just fucking around with effects and using the sampler on ableton enough to create textured sounds. I’m trying to start making ambient music

Short answer yes

you can make really, really insane shit with sampler if you know what you're doing

just dicking around with no intent? probably not. git good at resampling and learning what's actually worth throwing in sampler

Is there any plugins that would help? or should I just try to master the ones that come with Ableton before buying anything.

>plugin requires you to know trigonometry
I should have paid attention to the classes

Attached: dust.png (1311x811, 1.11M)

not him but while i coooould work with only ableton plugins i'd be really fucking annoyed without a wavetetable and granular synth.... though i guess everybody is on 10 now so you've got wavetable. Also FM8>operator

i have completely forgotten trig but if you know the parameters you should be able to fill it out

time is obviously rate, the number at the end is a multiplier etc.

link a sound you made! that looks pretty fucking fun man

It is not exactly trigonometry, you can control the general flow of the field with just integers (like having all the grains going north is x 0 y 1). To get complex stuff like a wavy "river" going up you need to know what you are doing, but it is possible to just put random numbers and functions in there and see where it goes. It also has some helpful presets that cover the basic flow types, I will try to reverse engineer what I want from there. It is a pretty cool tool, even though I still can do only very basic stuff.
This is what I got from just adjusting just some grain parameters without modulation from one bar piano loop. You can do some pretty cool stuff with modulation, the parameters of each grain (position, speed, distance from center etc.) can be used as modulation sources, but I will need some time to get used to that.
clyp.it/vkjnakfi

LOL you're "dust piano" user?
this plugin sounds worth learning but that's definitely overkill for that one effect

It does not sound cohesive. What am I nodding my head to? Is it the kick drum? Why does all this other shit distract from that? I think the weak point is the groove in general.

instaud.io/3Ga1
instaud.io/3F3x
instaud.io/3EPf

R8 my blatant Caretaker ripoff. I plan on making a big collection of them, picking and choosing the ones that sound good. I also plan on incorporating droning synths as the album goes on, near the end culminating in only record fuzz and synths. Abruptly leaving and coming, but the synths always there creating an ocean of sound.

Attached: me.jpg (960x960, 106K)

Attached: untitled.png (960x960, 1.04M)

What does this mean

instaud.io/3Gar

Attached: Ponyo-PonyoFish.png (661x661, 422K)

i like the first two, though they *feel* long even at that length, the first especially

if this is supposed to be album art that's fucking terrible, not even sorry

we should probably collab, did I respond to you a few threads ago when you posted... 3 songs i think?

It's not album artwork.

Some user is just fuckin with me.

R8 my album art

Attached: soso-1.png (1585x1584, 3.32M)

Makes me want to add whatever page it's in to my ad blocker.

yeah that was me, how do we colllab

Attached: ponyo.jpg (500x323, 37K)

The absolute easiest way to record drums? Ideally with only 1 mic. No more than 2 tracks

I have no idea how it works desu
OO#8243 if you're on discord

i keep forgetting Yea Forums doesn't accept that character lol, it's supposed to be this
youtube.com/watch?v=S7i4wL2QdAU

Are you Norwegian?

Fuck, I wish.
my PrOdUcEr NaMe starts with 0's and it made a more distinct name on discord lol

Come on anons critique my shit

Would really benefit from some vocals.
Here, I wrote some lyrics for you:

Like the legend of the phoenix
All ends with beginnings
What keeps the planet spinning (uh)
The force of love beginning

We've come too far to give up who we are
So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars

She's up all night 'til the sun
I'm up all night to get some

She's up all night for good fun
I'm up all night to get lucky

We're up all night 'til the sun
We're up all night to get some
We're up all night for good fun
We're up all night to get lucky

Anyone produced Jump Up DnB before? Not a tonne of resources online

it is intended for vocals so that's good to hear I guess

It's a joke to say that it sounded a bit like Get Lucky by Daft Punk and Pharrell.
But yeah, it's not wrong that it would sound good with vocals.

Meme of the day

Attached: no problem, i'll start tomorrow.png (1080x924, 855K)

>Not a tonne of resources online
and that's a good thing
but if you really wish to push this shitty trend all you have to do is making screeching sounds in serum using sync and fm and then steal the rhythm from old broadway musicals
youtu.be/J29ppykqtvY
never use reverb on drums, keep them as dry as possible

Program them

youtube.com/watch?v=40CX0yKiYX8

I never have but I'll give it a shot later if I have time.

how do you spend a whole day on a dying thread desu?

instaud.io/3Ghw

starting to come to terms with the fact that not knowing music theory or how to play any instruments was a mistake

anyone have any experience trying to produce some sort of metal or noise rock with ableton and without physical instruments

Pretty easy actually.
You just hang around while doing nothing.
Better than facing the utter failure that is your life anyway.

Attached: 1557929355965.png (680x680, 176K)

Serum or Pigments for your wavetable needs?

Attached: serum.jpg (355x355, 11K)

Why not both?
It's not like you're paying for them anyway.

If I had to choose one, Serum.

Blofeld

>instaud.io/3Fsk

listen to nobukazu takemura

pigments does rubber better

but serum has the wavetable editor and a better ui in general.... and all the wave morphing options you'd expect on a wavetable synth, that for reasons unknown pigment lacks.

Serum overall, though they're both worth having imo

Just learn theory then. It's really not hard, just lots of memorization.

So since Kenny says sidechaining is cancer what exactly am I supposed to do to get my bass and kick to work together in rap

Who the fuck is Kenny and why should you listen to him?

kennybeats. he's really good.

youtube.com/watch?v=CCVsdP2gfyc

its not good but feedback would help a ton
instaud.io/3Gku

There's nothing wrong with sidechaining. Makes kicks and 808's dramatic and should always be used in trap.

I'd like to hear that cute tune in the background without all that edgy garbage noise

This isn't bait, you should distort the fuck out of everything. Like this
youtu.be/Jd7RGHs9XxM

>beats
Pathetic

if it's a proper sub bass, not an 808, consider sidechaining it.
if it's an 808 treat the kick as a 'topper' to the 808 and just cut the lows a bit. honestly sometimes with an 808 you can get away with not even having an actual kick, just a sharper pitch transient. plus then you don't have to worry about changing notes and then having the kick sample go out of phase with the sub

instaud.io/3FBY

Commission, looking for general feedback. It was a character theme. I don't like how the music box clashed, how can i prevent this in the future?

clyp.it/4k33pueb

any feedback

vocaroo.com/i/s0iahFCBSIjH

getting some old final fantasy vibes from this.

desu the 2nd half is trash compared to the first, I didn't find anything wrong with the music box

you should cut and rewrite the bass, use something more organic sounding, written less like a random arp. the lead sound is also amateurish, would use the music box for that line to keep the track cohesive, or at least a cooler patch. some vibrato would help

the drums are a mess too, go more jazzy if you want to keep that vibe. live kit, rides, the snare rim hits. or go more electronic, filtered, effected. it's in a weird half way place now.

stick to one 'plucky' idea. you have like 4 of the exact same style going at one time. it's all over the place. that said it needs more fx and automation to keep things interesting. the piano sound is hot trash. revoice the chords up a bit and find a new sound there

I'll reach out sometime tonight

Attached: ponyooo.jpg (1366x735, 122K)

>sidechaining is cancer
Honestly depends on genre.

Attached: 1541736471530.jpg (960x540, 62K)

I would split the music box in two parts of which one is less detuned and give that one the leading melody

Starting to get a grasp on granular stuff. Made this from two samples, one of raindrops and other of fireworks
instaud.io/3GmH

How much RAM are you guys set with? I'm running 16GB on my rig, but things have been getting tight lately on bigger projects. I also just upgraded to some new VSTs, and goddamn they're real memory hogs.

I had to upgrade to 16 and I haven't noticed any problem so far
hopefully I won't reach the limit anytime soon

12, only problems i've ever had is when boosting up voices on serum which is basically unusable, though i suspect part of that is that it's not a legit copy since other things fuck up with it all the time

how big is big to you? I don't even have to start freezing until it's 15-20 tracks, sooner if it's sample heavy.

Well I just bought Spitfire Studio Orchestra Professional, and just to give it a test, I opened up a string patch, and a flute patch, putting them both at five mic positions. I had my browser open too, but just those two instruments brought my CPU to 89%.

>I just bought Spitfire Studio Orchestra Professional
ご愁傷さまでございます

Is something wrong with it? The library seems very impressive so far. I weighed my options for a while, since I felt I needed to move forward with an upgrade. EastWest's Hollywood line did me well for years, but they're a little... aged now. Especially since I only had the Gold Editions with two mic positions.

No, I was just teasing you because it's really expensive even if you did get it on sale. I look forward to hearing good things from you :3

Attached: 14d800ecc04f595f8aff528599eb01e7.jpg (506x514, 43K)

Ah, thank you! It was a big investment, but stuff like this is the only thing I really buy for myself anyway. And in a way, it's both kind of a personal, and a work expense! So I can't complain. Definitely hoping to make some fun stuff with it.

not that user but the spitfire studio brass especially is really meh, unfortunately. the strings and ww are OK but I mainly use them as layering tools.

there are better, more specialized tools out there for specific orchestral tasks now (ie: streznof strings, audio imperia for trailers, performance audio stuff etc)

I'm surprised its taking your CPU so high. Are you sure its not just a matter of running out of ram and that is moving the strain elsewhere? You need a shit load of ram for these big ass kontakt libraries. I'm on a old 2013 mac pro w/ 32 GB ram and can comfortably load like 7 instances of that. You are right, its a great library. Having all of the mics activated at once may be a bit overzealous though.

when doing orchestral stuff in Kontakt I routinely max out my 32 GB ram. Adds up when you have a large library for each major section of the orchestra loaded. Need to double it at least.

Well I was basically doing a stress test to see what I'd be dealing with. In general my approach would be to write with one or two mic positions, and then adjust with freezing things when I aim for the final bounce. Seeing it take up so much at just two patches though probably doesn't bode the best for any particularly complicated writing. I had an inkling that I'd need to my RAM a fair bit for this, since my DAW's gotten grumpy a few times at bigger projects with less advanced libraries.

I'm liking the samples so far. I got about $500 off for the set with that spring sale. I was a bit worried about the overall dryness of the recordings, but I've got a convolution reverb plugin that really gives it that liveliness it needs. It was either this, or their Symphonic line, but that was recorded in a super wet hall, which I thought would be limiting.

you can exploit the fact that you can do "purge samples" and "reload from markers" to kill off all samples from RAM except those for which you have written notes. Also if you want your big ass Kontakt libraries to load almost instantly, backup your /instruments/ folder then do a batch resave (file --> batch resave--> point towards root dir of lib). It will load them in 4 secs after that.

I really like using the close mics and giving them my own custom reverb to put them in a space. Lets you marry libraries recorded in totally different spaces. You do lose the deep richness of the (real) tree mics, but it can be worth it.

Look up how to make ambient in ableton, use the resonators, vary wetness on / off and use delays etc

Sounds really useful. I'm not actually that adept at Kontakt yet, since I'm pretty used to EastWest's propitiatory ecosystem. I have some third-party plugins that I've utilized before, but with these, I'm going to really need to take a deep dive. I appreciate the tip, since load times are definitely a bit high with these libraries.

That's really one of the unique benefits of samples over live orchestras, isn't it? When you record live in a space, that's more or less the sound you're going to be dealing with, unless you're able to front the money and do an entirely different session somewhere else. With samples, you can easily layer in instrument sounds that feel like they were produced in entirely two different places, and gain the advantages of what that offers.

Also the freeze on reverb, anything works once you've frozen something and a row of resonators plus phasers

There's a guy on VI-control named JM that made a really cool Kontakt script called Auto Divsi. What it lets you do: Load 5 different kontakt instruments in one instance, put them each on a different midi channel, play a 5 note chord, and it will automatically divide the notes of the chord across the instruments, while retaining legato functionality. Really need script for "quick sketching". If you can't find it, I can throw it on dropbox for you, you can find me on the prod discord (/prodthread/ discord.me). There are actually quite a few really cool kontakt scripts. Of course, not all of them play well with the complex spitfire-tier GUI and scripted instruments of the modern day, and may even be redundant.

Here's another pair of cool plugins you can use in the "close mic" + "DIY reverb" setup: Virtual Sound Stage 2, or the (superior) Ircam SPAT. These are sophisticated stereo positioners that model different micing techniques. They expect to hear a mono signal, or a stereo balanced stereo signal on the way in. You can use them to position and then capture your close mics with things like virtual ORTF, Bluemin, XY (you can do this with normal panning), Decca Tree mic positions. Basically you put a copy of the plugin on every single channel, perhaps with close mics solo'd. Then you would send your positioned instruments off to a bus where they receive the room reverb. Not the best way to do it, but it is a distinct and interesting technique. Predictably (and by design) they will incur some strange comb filtering and phase issues. But it can be worth using anyway.

instaud.io/3Gpv

how the fuck do you mix

Do you guys know how to use the vocaloid software?

Yes. I only messed with it a bit. The UI is just kinda shit. You have a lot of options for changing each vowel and consonant in time and pitch. Its like a shittier implementation of melodyne.

Demarcus, is it you?

which genre is this, and how do i make it sound better?
instaud.io/3Gqj

Can anyone attest to the quality of the JBL 305P/308P

I'm in the market for some monitors. I gave the LSR308 and T7V's a listen at Guitar Center. I definitely liked the 308 more, had a crisper/clearer sound to it. Oddly enough I liked the T5V more than the T7V, but there might have just been something wrong with some of the monitors.

Only issue is that the 308P's are fucking huge. Not sure how I'd fit them on my desk.

Attached: 71-PlXW03FL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1139x1500, 108K)

yes that beat is shit but can you tell me how to mix better

Attached: thicker than expected.jpg (585x780, 124K)

youtube.com/watch?v=qA17lYGLqpk

instaud.io/3GqR

What could have been better?

>without having to touch icky real-world instruments
But post punk is literally the easiest shit to play on guitar

>calling instruments icky
Do you even like making music

IK Multimedia MODO Bass is a pretty cool physical modeled bass guitar instrument. Lots of variations on the same instrument possible (can change flat wound to round wound strings, DI, amp, muting etc). Good stuff. Requires some effort to get the sound you want. I prefer to use it in conjunction with a dedicated AMP / Cab simulator, and turn off the amp inside the plugin and run it Direct.

forget it

VERY unlikely they will ever even notice my dude

They will if he gets big or if the sample is clear enough to trigger the copyright detection system of whatever platform you upload it to (you won't get sued but you'll get it removed or the ad revenue will go to the copyright holder).

It does look nice but I really am looking for a sample pack, not a bass synthesizer, or possibly a virtual instrument with .wavs included, so I can just ignore the plugin and use it as a sample pack.

why are you so set on wavs lol

I have a list of thousands of frequencies.
What's the easiest way to automatically generate a new WAV (or any other lossless format) for each frequency?
The "fastest" way I know without programming is to use a DAW and automate everything with a program that records mouse and keyboard, then let it run for whatever time necessary while I do something else AFK, but there's got to be a better way.

Because I'm running Linux and because I prefer to use samples over plugins.

i don't think they think about the key, just go with whatever sounds good. they have ears enough to know if something is REALLY out of tune

This sounds great.
Do you have a SC or something?

>literally Dimi

Attached: 1361078822572.jpg (465x382, 18K)

they're gud.
put them on stands behind your desk

3 lines script in matlab
or octave if you're about that open source life

Could you write them here please?
Thank you very much in advance.

Meme of the day

Attached: unmistakable.png (1147x715, 1.5M)

thoughts on korg volca modular?

What are the best plugin synths for “cold” digital sounds like from a Blofeld or Nord?

I don't know about those two synths, but to get "cold" sounds (which I assume are the opposite of those with "analog warmth") you can just use digital synths that aren't trying to emulate anything (like Diva, Sylenth1, or the Arturia stuff).
Massive is infamous for being too sterile and digital, so you could try that, but I'm sure your DAW has at least one purely digital synth.
Hope I'm not spouting unrelated bullshit because I have no idea what those synths sound like or what you want exactly lol.

imagine dragon my balls on your face

Nevermind, I just saw how big the download is. I'm not gonna install that behemoth just for this, thank you very much anyway.

Super meme
Waldorf Largo is supposedly modelled after the Blofeld

>Super meme
what would you recommend for begginer? i dont want daws

Moog Voyager.

Looking back now, I wish I started on a monophonic synth with lots of hands on control. What do you intend to do with it and what's your recording setup?

Morgan Sorne basically flipped the Wishing Well song from Snow White, along with Sophie doing the Whole New World thing with no ramifications, so you're good man

Daaayum!

How do you know that they didn't license them?

Quitting one of my jobs at the end of the month so I can spend more time making music everyday like all the famous musicians say you should.
Wish me luck /prod/

>Quitting one of my jobs at the end of the month so I can spend more time posting here everyday like all the posters here say they do.
Sorry, Autocorrect.

Good luck! Try for a beat a day and a completed track every week.

literally every synth you listed is the opposite of what you said, how did you fuck up that bad lol

?

>Diva, Sylenth1, and the Arturia stuff aren't emulations of analog hardware
>Massive is not infamous for being too sterile and digital
Am I being baited?

Diva's whole gimmick is mixing and matching emulations

Ignoring the semantics you could throw at me here: while Sylenth isn't a direct emulation it's marketed as "virtual analog" (dumb gimmick that's thankfully not as trendy now), if you've used it you'll notice obvious "sweet spots" and "warmth," it's at all a cold synth.

Arturia, idk what you were going for there man, their biggest thing is emulations so idk what synth you had in mind aside from pigments.

Massive is definitely digital but *personally* I wouldn't say sterile; you got me there I guess if you want. However, I think it's worth noting the extra harmonics massive imparts in comparison to Serum, namely; it immediately sounds dirtier in comparison without actual distortion.

>Diva's whole gimmick is mixing and matching emulations
So it's an emulation, like I said.

>Sylenth isn't a direct emulation it's marketed as "virtual analog" (dumb gimmick that's thankfully not as trendy now), if you've used it you'll notice obvious "sweet spots" and "warmth,"
Like above.

>Arturia, idk what you were going for there man, their biggest thing is emulations
Like above.

>idk what synth you had in mind aside from pigments.
The one exception.

>Massive is definitely digital but *personally* I wouldn't say sterile; you got me there I guess if you want. However, I think it's worth noting the extra harmonics massive imparts in comparison to Serum, namely; it immediately sounds dirtier in comparison without actual distortion.
Doesn't matter. You still can't call it "warm" or analog-sounding, and it's renowned for being extremely "cold" and sterile (this is the general consensus I always see everywhere, sorry if you disagree).

I think you just misread the post.
I said:
>digital synths that aren't trying to emulate anything (like Diva, Sylenth1, or the Arturia stuff)
Meaning:
>digital synths that aren't trying to emulate anything (like Diva, Sylenth1, or the Arturia stuff do)
In other words, the synths in the parenthesis refer to "trying to emulate", not to "digital synths".

As evidenced by this post which mocks the opposite idea of what I was trying to say.

oh well good to know I guess
that's definitely the wrong way to type that out though man lmao

lil demo of some rap bullshit looking for !constructive criticism!
clyp.it/0jhtrmgv

I guess, but I'm a low iq ape so i can't do any better and i don't care

read this, friend

Attached: 6d3d2838e2c24c357d7fcc236a548d0b.jpg (212x330, 17K)

Thanks but I won't.

Have you read it?

unexpected

i'm about 1/2 through

What is it about (other than what's on the cover)?
Is it difficult for an ape such as myself?

I started reading it so I could figure out how to write text in English without making it too obvious that I'm a foreigner. It analyzes what a text is and how a text works in a very detailed way. It's kinda difficult but you can google shit to make it easier.

oh also I heard about it because it's supposedly an upgrade over this book, which I looked at initially

Attached: 51YbAzBBE7L._SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (318x499, 30K)

I'll download it and keep it in my downloads folder, thank you very much user.

Is this picture in the book?

Attached: dapper as fuck.png (712x570, 798K)

Do you have a pdf or epub or something?
The only version I found is this shitty converted pdf.

Attached: 2019-05-16 23_06_03-Introduction to Text Linguistics - Robert-Alain de Beaugrande, Wolfgang Dressler (854x881, 111K)

what's wrong with the pdf? I have a physical copy sorry my dude

It's uncomfortable to read for long periods of time with text like that at full width.
A properly formatted version would be much better, but if this is the only one available I'll just suck it up and read it from there.
Thanks anyway.

new thread WHEN?

Hopefully never.

[spoiler]just kidding, hopefully now[/spoiler]

Couldn't calibre or something reformat it?
I can't read on my laptop desu, it's too uncomfortable. I read on the phone or kindle if I don't have a book.

NEW THREAD

>Couldn't calibre or something reformat it?
Probably.
I can never get it right to be honest.
One time I got it perfect for the beginning of the book but it started fucking up a third of the pages in, and I didn't notice until I had already reached that point, and it made me irrationally angry to the point of almost dropping the whole book.
Might as well just read the shitty one if it's at least consistent.

>I can't read on my laptop desu, it's too uncomfortable
Yeah, I read them on a tablet or ereader.