/prod/

New to production? Read this before asking a question
pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

GIVE feedback to get feedback.
Post WIP's in; instaud.io
or any other anonymous audio online storage website.
DON'T link to Soundcloud or youtube etc, anything that is not anonymous is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback.

Last thread:

Attached: Imagine Dragons - Evolve.jpg (1500x1500, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3FpQ
clyp.it/1damh3nz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)
youtu.be/K6SyQ4XvBxg
youtu.be/ebBqP2PteAQ
instaud.io/3Fsk
gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/your-holy-heart
clyp.it/cheq1y40
instaud.io/3Fys
instaud.io/3FyL
clyp.it/eky3dsdp
gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/high
instaud.io/3FBY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

REMOVE THAT FUCKING PIC

The thing about Evolve is, they tried to do something that was seemingly impossible. But they did it. The sounds on this album are just next level. I hope I get to work with these guys someday.

Haters gonna hate

die

See

die but in red

Anyone else working under Linux?
What is your workflow?
What apps do you use?

Will Linux help to sound like Thunder?

No, but it's cheap, surprisingly powerful and has a dedicated community. It's also very flexible, given that JACK and the low-latency kernel can transform your whole OS into a DAW. Now quit memeing Imagine Dragons itt, we're all believers already, this is just not the right place for it.

Hey, can someone email an audionews invite please. I just had to format due to ransomware fucking my shit up. Thanks

[email protected]

Attached: Capture.png (520x170, 7K)

Damn. Nice quads.

Same. Please email.
[email protected]

I can barely come up with a fucking melody, I want off this fucking earth. AAAAAAAAAAA

Evolve is good if you need inspiration.

Just grab a simple bell synth you like and try to imagine yourself as a child playing a xylophone. Write short melody fragments that you can loop over and over. You can always combine them into longer melodies later on.

gay
based

Is there a quick way to raise your ratio? I was able to get an account this month but for some reason no one downloads the torrents I picked. (Sorry I can't create invites for the reasons I just mentionned)

Yes, I'm running Ubuntu, Renoise, uhe hive and bazille, audacity to record and chop samples from record player (I also like to edit my podcasts in audacity then master in Renoise. Renoise is great when chopping up giant audio clips) and use the line input feature in Renoise for ms20/virus access kb/and some weird korg sample preset hardware from the 80's. Renoise is excellent for getting shit done quick. Don't have to click through a bunch of menus for shit. All on one screen, easy.

Attached: 20190509_211335.jpg (4032x3024, 3.51M)

Renoise isn't great*

How do you deal with a short attention span as a producer? If I don't come up with a banger in the first 5 minutes, my brain shuts itself off.

Is that a Klingon next to sailor moon? Lawl Clypster you fuckin nerd

Stop being a bitch

Y-Yeah..........

Easy. Come up with a banger in the first 5 minutes.

Ah, nice. Hadn't heard about hive and bazille. I mostly use ZynFusion, which I am very satisfied with. Plus Ardour, but I'd love to try Renoise given that Hydrogen is such a shitty drum machine. Perhaps that role can be filled by Giada though, didn't try that one yet. Why do you use Linux?

Do activities that trains you to focus like meditation or just reading novels. If distraction is the problem, turn off your internet connexion. You also need to examine your internet consumption, that shit is terrible for your head.
It's a problem you need to address, but not just because you want to get better at production.

It's worth a shot, I like how easy it is to make quick edits. I switched because Windows 10 bugs out and was messing up a lot of stuff. I like the flexibility Linux gives me and with Proton being added into Steam I like it for games.

What do you think about this? I was kinda inspired by Lorn's Acid Rain. My first time doing vocals as well so I hope they aren't too cringey.

instaud.io/3FpQ

Attached: sonicglitch.png (1196x911, 1.43M)

>My first time doing vocals
I don't hear them.
Do you mean the short vocal samples? Is that your voice?

Yeah most of them are, I covered them in effects because I'm shy, I've never really sung before.

We can't hear you singing in your room, m8
You have to actually record yourself

Confess, you stole that "eh eh" at 2:12 from Opr by Gesaffelstein, didn't you?

What do they say?

Honestly I don't really like singing. My voice needs way too many changes to become musically viable and ive never trained in any singing. So I only did some general vocal sounds because I like holly herndon.

The pitch slide? I dont know who that is.

No, the high pitched vocal (or whatever that is) that goes "eh eh".
Sounds like a pitched up sample of Opr's intro.

>I dont know who that is
How do you not know who Gesaffelstein is?

Variations of "I'm the real Mandy", "tacky, disgusting haircut" and "See you soon.". And also some vocal "ahhs"

>How do you not know who Gesaffelstein is?

I haven't ever heard of that, Ill give it a try.

Attached: dfxvxcv.png (1915x215, 104K)

>"I'm the real Mandy", "tacky, disgusting haircut" and "See you soon."
What does that mean?
Are they quotes from a movie or something?

I know someone called Mandy with a disgusting, tacky haircut. The last time we spoke, she said she'd see me soon. I processed them a lot. I kind of just said whatever came into my head at the time.

Attached: cgvc.png (742x873, 44K)

Post haircut.

clyp.it/1damh3nz

any feedback

Attached: 1556649366520.jpg (1200x1200, 174K)

that melody sounds familiar but I can't remember why

Love the melody/chords.
A bit too repetitive though.
Sounds like a "response" to me, so I suggest trying to make a "call" variation that goes before it.

The melody is too repetitive.
The bass doesn't have enough harmonics so it's hard to hear without a sub-woofer or in-ears.
The drums are too weak.
The transition FX sounds you used are tacky.

It's good, but it's no Thunder.

what does harmonics mean

Almost every sound you hear is made out of several sine waves. There's the fundamental one (which is the lowest frequency of the sound) and its overtones, which are the other higher frequencies that make the sound.

Something like a saw wave is made of potentially an infinite number of frequencies, and a triangle wave few.

These frequencies are called harmonics.

A sound that doesn't have a lot of harmonics will (usually) only contain frequencies that are "slightly" above the fundamental, so if the fundamental is very low, all the frequencies in the sound will be quite low, and won't be audible on a system that can't reproduce them well (or can't at all).
To avoid this problem you can either play the sub bass with higher notes, or you can change its harmonics to have more of the higher frequencies that are easier to hear. You cand o this by resynthesizing it that way, or by applying some form of distortion to introduce those harmonics on whatever you have (useful if it's a sample and you can't remake it from scratch).

thanks

You're welcome.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)

Is that the Globgogabgalab song?
Probably not, but I know that melody.

nah i didn't take the melody from anywhere it might sound like something else but not intentionally

Where are you from?

england

Why?

moved here

From where?

zimbabwe

Were you forced out of the country or you moved to escape poverty?

poverty when i was really young

Shona, Ndebele, or white?

shona i've mostly forgotten how to speak it though

And are you comfortable? Should I, a white man, perhaps fluff up your pillow? Or bring you a glass of fresh lemonade?

i don't really care about the politics people are people no matter the race

>people are people
STOP SHOVING YOUR POLITICS DOWN MY THROAT
THIS IS A /PROD/ THREAD

Do you have British citizenship now?
Is it easier for people coming from former British colonies?

I wanna produce some ambient, idm and glitch music. Is there any cheap equipment that are specifically made to use for those genres?

Calm down, man. Here, listen to this:
youtu.be/K6SyQ4XvBxg

>cheap hardware
Oh no no no...

Now, I would recommend UbuntuStudio, which is free. Check out unfa on YouTube, watch some of his tutorials on ZynAddSubFx and Ardour. Also look into impulse response reverb. Also, for some pre-recorded sounds check out Intelligent Machinery's "Aural Piercing" pack.

yes a year ago, not necessarily for Zimbabwe because we left the common wealth anyway this is a /prod/ thread

I get that studio equipment is crazy expensive I'm just asking for equipment that doesn' cost me a fortune. Don't know if that's even possible though
thanks

If you want glitch, there's really no need for any hardware. And ambient is such a broad term, you could play it entirely acoustic, with just a casette recorder, or entirely digital. If you have a computer, you're all set.

You're right about that ambient thing. From what I've seen on youtube, I guess I'd mainly use a casette recorder.
My parents have a fuck ton of casettes full of arabic music and I've created some loops out of them as well, I just don't really know how to use them to make my own music.

Meme of the day

Attached: thread cleansing.png (1536x2021, 1.91M)

You record them into your computer, synthesize some drums and loop them over your casette loops in interesting patterns. Then you put some effects over the whole thing in interesting ways. In the end you employ a bunch of equalizers and compressors to make it more enjoyable to listen to.

new dan worrall kino
youtu.be/ebBqP2PteAQ

help
instaud.io/3Fsk

gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/your-holy-heart

>Erlangen, Germany
Is this who I think it is?

Fuck off

Bump

Ambient is only about effects, the input is literally meaningless

who do you think it is then?

We can tell you don't make ambient user

The German guy with an Egyptian name who used to schizopost and shill his own blog.

lol no I'm not an Egyptian guy who shitposts... I'm actually a quite renown musician where I come from

>I'm actually a quite renown musician where I come from
The hearing loss clinic?

That guy isn't Egyptian.
He's a German who just named himself like a famous ancient Egyptian.

What's your favorite free plugin that not everybody knows about?

Requirements to answer this question:

>has to be free
Ok

>has to be your favourite:
Ok, one per person

>not everyone knows about it
That's literally every plugin, since there isn't a single one that everybody knows about.

Your question should've been:
What's your favorite free plugin?

You're welcome.

>That's literally every plugin, since there isn't a single one that everybody knows about.
>synth1

I asked my mom and she doesn't know about it, so clearly "not everybody knows about it" is a more accurate statement than "everybody knows about it".

You need to take into account the context of this thread. Does your mother browse this thread?

She's some times in the room while I do, and she sees the screen so she's technically a lurker.

I don't think Sammy knows about Synth1, since he doesn't use synths.
He's probably not the only one, considering all the pirates who start off with the best paid synths and don't even bother looking for freeware.

clyp.it/cheq1y40
feedback?

lol no, a big city with a vivid music scene actually

He actually does because I recommended it to him when he first got here because he wanted to copy a part in one of his shitty covers... though he could've forgotten about it

How young were you diagnosed with autism user?

bunk

For me, it is Kaivo.

Attached: kaivo.jpg (1200x651, 126K)

TAL chorus

What do you guys think of this music my computer wrote?
instaud.io/3Fys

I like the bouncy energy of it, and how fun the lyrics are, but I think your beat is too low volume vs. your vocal and the glitchy effect on the vocal might be too exaggerated sometimes.
Also I think a nice fat, warm, sub droning in the back would feel really nice.

instaud.io/3FyL

feedback on mix?

Your computer makes some cool music. Did he produce the whole thing or just write midi?

Most of the midi, I only wrote the two drone notes All the rest is derived from the chord progression the computer wrote being sent to arpegiators and a "smart" sample player. Arrangement, sound design, and drum loop selection were up to me.
The original progression took some time to get, because being random it typically didn't sound too good, so I just recorded it for a while til I got a take I liked.
The only musical part finally left up to chance is the Rhodes which can randomly offset from a random chord tone by up to an octave, then gets a perfect fourth added before sending to a quantizer to nudge it back on key if necessary.

Attached: typically fourths but not always.webm (718x932, 773K)

big chordz heheh

clyp.it/eky3dsdp

very chill... sounds like something I'd like to listen to at night while driving in my car

>softcore soundtrack / 10
Sounds like a classy hot tub, massage, and sex montage.

love it. watch me slow it down, add a Sade vocal and sell it on Bandcamp for 10$

I just started out trying to produce shit, but everything sounds real fucking flat. Any tips? I'm using Reaper, just for the record

Attached: reaper.jpg (810x456, 15K)

why just for the record? you can produce with it too, what genre are you doing?

By saying "just for the record", I was stating that I was using Reaper. Was trying to do some dreampop,

I can't really help with dreampop since I don't even know what it is, but what do you mean by flat? lack of dynamics? lack of depth?

Sounds like it has no depth, yeah.

gatesoflove.bandcamp.com/album/high

fuck off

Attached: 4a0.jpg (1808x1204, 117K)

what now? I posted a different file and I didn't write any text in my post, so please chill

you have to create contrast between the elements, think about the extremes
something that has little to none stereo image, has not much high end, has reverb and it's not loud will be perceived far, the exact opposite will feel like it's right in your face
you must decide where to locate what and the mix it accordingly
effects like chorus and flangers are in between, they can sound wider without making things stand out too much, they tend to mask harsh highs

feedback on mix?

I'd like feedback especially on the second track which was a lot of work beforehand

delete the link and upload it on instaud

instaud.io/3FBY

Finished a commission, looking for feedback. Last part is designed by me with a bunch of youtube samples, it's a character theme.

I think the part at 1:54 is kinda eh, I don't like how the music box clashed with itself.

I'm also pretty new to mixing, so feedback on that is super appreciated.

I've been learning production and songwriting for a few months and I'm stuck in a rut.

I build up an A section (16 or 32 bars) and I just can't get a convincing B section going. My transitions never sound natural. It always sounds like I'm grafting on another part from another song.

I just want to finish more songs and not feel like I'm repeatedly building up 16 bar loops that never develop into something more.

Attached: reafir.png (642x457, 39K)

I think that's the most difficult thing in composing and everybody fails for some time. I think every new piece is a new struggle, but the strategy that works for me is to take one element from the B section and alter it in some way, like reversing it, augmenting it, reharmonizing it, play it over a triplet rhythm etc. and then go from there. If I try long enough I usually find something that pleases me. With that approach you can be sure that you A and B sections sound like one organic unity yet contrast each other

Depends on your genre, sometimes fairly abrupt changes work really well.
In many genres you can simply change patterns or even switch key without any real warning and your listener won't be put off, they may even like the suddenness of it.
Frequently all you need is a drum fill, an instrument break, or a transition sound (noise sweep, riser, vocal chop, whatever) to clue your audience in that things are about to change.
If you haven't started learning theory yet look up key modulation.
The second easiest key modulation is to the relative key (since it uses all the same notes as your base key) with the next easiest being a pivot chord (a chord present in both your first key and the desired key of modulation) after the playing of which you just proceed in your new key.

Attached: key chord chart.jpg (542x656, 84K)

Post an example of your creations so we can hear what the problem is.

Pretty good.
How long have you been producing for?

late night bump

why is it so difficult to admit to myself that I want to be a musician? I've been doing music production for 10 years almost but it's not nearly on the level that I want it to be on. Am I retarded? It's like I deliberately lowered the bar for myself the last few years. posting half finished songs, not making full albums anymore, etc. It's like i was better when I was 16. It hurts so much to think how much i KNOW i love this and how much i feel how i can contribute and leave a part of myself on a track but it's just not reality.

shit's hardere when you grow up and have to get a job
build a schedule

been siting here working on a track contemplating a good reply to this but i think it really is this simple. thanks

Okay, I see! Thanks for genuinely useful advice!