4 years, 7 months and 13 days and I STILL cannot get into these guys. What bugs me the most is that, on paper...

4 years, 7 months and 13 days and I STILL cannot get into these guys. What bugs me the most is that, on paper, it sounds like they should be in my top 5. Roots in No Wave, tons of effects thrown onto the guitars, a non-traditional approach to songwriting, etc... I just don't really jive with them apart from a handful of songs.

How get into

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3eCdo0oHFI
youtube.com/watch?v=CN-wj5MKD1E&spfreload=1
youtube.com/watch?v=1RgpvSZVcBw&list=PLtEWEYx3I4RaEeF9Vt03Iu3xGrYE2FsO7
youtube.com/watch?v=14jHXtcWLOk&list=PLtEWEYx3I4RaEeF9Vt03Iu3xGrYE2FsO7&index=5
youtube.com/watch?v=1QZAETFJ3a8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

honestly, same boat.

If you can't at least appreciate their 80s output you are a forever pleb with no hope.

post your off the cuff favorite SY jam

I like them but I think there's a lot of filler on even their best albums.

Their music is more historical and rooted in a time period like the rolling Stones or led zeppelin. Doesnt translate to modern ears that well

post your 'modern' music

They are shit Listen to The Eagles

>just don't really jive with them apart from a handful of songs.
That's because they only ever made a handful of good songs.

ok tripfag

youtube.com/watch?v=I3eCdo0oHFI

that's a nice one . . .

tangent: youtube.com/watch?v=CN-wj5MKD1E&spfreload=1

kinda interesting guitar-wise

ok - how about winners blues?
or rain on tin?

or massage the history?

Winner's Blues - No.
Rain on Tin - Kinda.
Massage The History - No.

fine, but massage the history is a really good song

did you fucking listening to the whole thing?

>listening to music

lol

They're my favorite band ever, but if you gave them a chance already you just might never like them.

This is so true.
They got some great stuff, but most of their albums could be whittled down to EPs without missing anything.

its almost 10 minutes long . . .

probably needed to see them live back in the day to reaaaally get it desu

Are there any live videos you could recommend?

Sonic Youth is a meme and you've been bamboozled

1991 Year Punk Broke. tho its not just them, its also got Nirvana, DinoJr, and a bunch of others
I'm actually not entirely sure if they have any "official" live video releases, tho there are probably
plenty of shit sounding bootlegs out there

youtube.com/watch?v=1RgpvSZVcBw&list=PLtEWEYx3I4RaEeF9Vt03Iu3xGrYE2FsO7

Don’t force it. There are so many great bands out there, not every one has to “click”

teenage riot and shadow of a doubt are good songs

What handful of songs do you enjoy?

Very cool. Thanks.

Mascis melting faces in this clip
youtube.com/watch?v=14jHXtcWLOk&list=PLtEWEYx3I4RaEeF9Vt03Iu3xGrYE2FsO7&index=5

they were always pretentious hipsters trying desperately to be different. Dirty Boots is a sick fucking song though probably cause its like the only song they ever made where they actually tried to capitalize on a sound that was popular at the time.

pretentious art school fags, maybe
"hipsters" weren't a thing yet back then

>their only good song is a song where they try to capitalize on trends
could you be any more of a pleb
stick to the radio dawg

Says you.

I saw them live in 2004 the concert is even on YouTube.

You don't what you're talking about. Anyone who pulls the hipster card with Sonic Youth really don't know anything about the bands history or the members themselves.

yeah the problem with bands of that era is the ability to record video just wasn't a thing
like it is now. its a shame, really... so much great stuff lost to time unless the band filmed
it themselves or someone smuggled some ridiculous vhs camera into a show
feels bad man

oh i dont doubt it, i meant back in the day as in late 80s / early 90s

I have tried getting into this band, but am unable to do so.

They don't manipulate their guitars for weird sounds as much as I thought they would.

Not counting the intro to Teenage Riot, most of their discography is painfully lacking the catchy melodies of peers like Pixies.

On the energetic side, their music is very tame compared to the bands I do like doing say...No Wave, Noise Rock, Grunge basically the stuff SY did.

Not a single talented vocalist in the group.

Their music ain't for everyone though.

Nardwuar

youtube.com/watch?v=1QZAETFJ3a8

lol

thank god, I guess.

lol cuk

They honestly are ahead of their time, the things that made them awesome are what make most people like that today redundant and obnoxious.

Why cuk

Listen to their influences

>the things that made them awesome are what make most people like that today redundant and obnoxious

I'm intrigued. Can you be more specific?

pleb

Damn. I hope the guy that wrote this is still here, because I genuinely am curious. Not mad or antagonistic or anything like that, just seriously curious.
For the record I really like early Sonic Youth.