Who is the greatest composer and why?

Who is the greatest composer and why?

Attached: mozart.jpg (567x550, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d3FOU9QXdXk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bach.

There is a reason everyone answers Bach to this question.

They've never heard of Beethoven?

Take your pick of Bach/Mozart/Beethoven. I'd say Mozart, personally.

Bach is by far the most popular pic.

/thread
autism

Justin Coolidge
youtube.com/watch?v=d3FOU9QXdXk

What about Vivaldi, Lully, Handel?
What about later composers like Brahms, Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Smetana, Grieg, Williams?

Why though?

FUCK. I try to be all cool and I go and post the wrong fucking picture.

Attached: hadyn.jpg (1000x1264, 300K)

Go watch the Samuel Andreyev video on Bach and it might give you a start of an idea
His passions, masses, big works etc are still unmatched in terms of beauty and scale, and he was hardly even trying

Saved

Attached: dk.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>and he was hardly even trying
oh fuck off

Greatness is rarely defined by how well liked you are and it's more about people will agree on your greatness. No one denies the greatness of Bach or Mozart or Beethoven. There are even fewer detractors. Wagner you can make complaints about being too overlong, Brahms you might complain about his hemiola spam; Debussy there's a lot to argue on that one. And then there's the early 20th century wave where any sort of agreement falls apart.

Beethoven? Hard to make any real arguments against him, or Mozart, or Bach.

Wagner cuz hes redpilled

Attached: based_black_guy.jpg (912x877, 123K)

The cantatas are stunning. Hell, the chorale settings for SATB chorus are stunning. He was churning them out because for him it was daily work - he had to produce a cantata a month. It was very, very busy work.

He made some very pleasing sounding pieces sure but so did Mozart and Beethoven
I would argue that Mozart's Requiem (the parts he composed) is more hauntingly beautiful than anything by Bach

Are you actually implying that he wasn't trying just because it was regular work? You still have to try to do well at your job.

>it was work
So just like every other major composer of the time

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but there's definitely a lot of pieces that are just "sit down, write this because it's your job" rather than "sit down, write this because you have an amazing idea for a work".

Pretty much, he was just the best. Actually, that applies to just about every composer, and if you look at it from a Romanticist viewpoint it makes sense and falls apart if looked at any other angle.

>there's definitely a lot of pieces that are just "sit down, write this because it's your job" rather than "sit down, write this because you have an amazing idea for a work".
He was still trying though. He still put forth large amounts of effort.

HOLY FUCK WITNESSED
Anyway, yeah, that idea of "trying" only works in a Romanticist viewpoint (which I don't particularly subscribe to), but it's the most widespread view of music, so you can see where it originates.