CAPTAIN BEEFHEART

Is Captain Beefheart amazing or just a meme???

I hate most dad rock, so..

Attached: Trout_Mask_Replica.png (220x220, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fkzC8RYT1vY
youtube.com/watch?v=p0Iy71Qwe6E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He’s great. A most “dad rock” is great too, besides guitar solo bluesy hurr durr muh rock n roll shit like the Stones & ACDC

Captain Beefheart isn't dadrock, people who listen to dadrock would absolutely hate it. Also it's amazing

Trout Mask Replica remains one of the best rock albums to date. Very few rock bands have matched the genius of that record.

Tell me about your incel prog bullshit that's so much better than The Rolling Stones and ACDC

rubbish album m8 where even is vermont as you were LG x

Attached: liam-gallagher1.jpg (295x391, 27K)

amazing. true innovator in blues rock.

Stones are awesome. Fuck you. But ACDC is trash. I can see where you're coming from there.

based Don Van Vliet. RIP.

Oasis literally cited Captain Beefheart as an influence

Whatever you want to decide on Beefheart for whatever reason, any affiliation he has with any dadrock from that period is a moot point because his stuff is kind of on a different plane, honestly a seperate plane even from stuff that came after it. Whether you think of it as brilliant or as nonsense with no point and bad because of this, anything aimed in the same as this has not really come close

Shiny Beast + Doc at the Radar + Ice Cream for Crow are better albums

It kind of sounds like a bunch of normal guitar songs that have been spread out on a table, beaten with a hammer and thrown out in the road in a jumbled, broken mess.

Okay, there are two guitarists, both of which sound like they've never played guitar in their lives. They pluck and smack at the strings, one in each speaker, playing guitar "lines" that don't really go together in any traditional manner. It all sounds haphazard and random until you listen very closely and carefully and realize that each guitar is in fact playing a "melody." Not a TRADITIONAL-style melody, mind you. But each axe's collection of notes, wrong chords or high ringing snaps repeats and repeats again, forming a cohesive repetition much like a "riff". Then they'll switch to another part (or at least one will) and eventually come back to the starting point. The more you listen, the more familiar it feels.

The music is great, but after a few listens the edginess loose it's effect and you just wish that you could listen to it without the crazy shit.

This
Despite sounding random and frenetic every note was intentional, Beefheart autistically composed every single sound using his mouth and having someone else transpose it to piano as he couldn't play the instrument

they're definitely underrated and among the greatest albums of all time, but I still think tmr is captain beefheart and the magic band's masterpiece. Outside of the two sell out albums, the band left him on, you really can't go wrong with beefheart.

Wiat...

So this means me too, as a music lover who can write vocal melodies but doesnt know how to play instruments, can become a Beefheart?

this

Notes are just notes, nigga

maybe they meant dada?

Attached: 1488567163994.jpg (639x639, 227K)

no one tell him about microtones

Attached: 1488576652986.jpg (926x960, 79K)

Literally yes. Although it would help to be able to play some basic chords. Plus then you'd need to find musicians that you're able to communicate to

I'm afraid that if Beefheart or TMR were just memes, they would have disappeared at some point in the last 50 years. The fact that there are at least a dozen TMR threads a week speaks to the staying power of Don and his creations.

BASED

are there any other notable musicians like this?

The only guy I can think of is Mark E Smith...not sure if he ever played guitar though plus his bands seemed like they kind of wrote something first then he'd tell em how to fix it

Jello Biafra couldn't play guitar so he would record vocal melodies for East Bay Ray to transcribe to his guitar, Ian Mackaye might have done that in his groups before Fugazi. I know he composed the songs for Minor Threat and Embrace but I'm not sure if he was really playing guitar before Fugazi, probably though.

Other than that I can't think of many. There are a lot of bands like Joy Division and REM where the members who played instruments would come up with ideas for songs and the singer/lyricist would develop the lyrics from that and the group would collaboratively work out the song.

based

youtube.com/watch?v=fkzC8RYT1vY

youtube.com/watch?v=p0Iy71Qwe6E

Does he have any other songs that are this good in this style?