Let It Be is my mom's favorite Beatles album but all the Zoomers here say it's bad

Let It Be is my mom's favorite Beatles album but all the Zoomers here say it's bad.

Attached: LetItBe.jpg (300x300, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oNJpes0XFGU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Naked is better, please ask her to listen to it

Surprisingly she thinks the spector one is better

This by far.

It's not bad but it's weak compared to the rest of their discography

call me NPC but I do think Sgt. Peppers is the best Beatles album. Most of their recognizable hits come from the album, it basically birthed prog/art rock and it is their best written album overall with the exception of Lucy in the sky. A Day In The Life is the best Beatles song hands down.

I'll give you backstory on why a lot of people think it's bad: starting with Revolver, they started making more songs using the studio as a musical instrument, with overdubs and effects that couldn't be replicated live. The idea was they would make an album called "Get Back," where they get back to their roots and play more old live stuff. They were gonna use no overdubs or edits in this album, then go on tour again, the back disc even promises "This is a new phase BEATLES album ... essential to the content of the film, LET IT BE was that they performed live for many of the tracks; in comes the warmth and the freshness of a live performance; as reproduced for disc by PHIL SPECTOR."
Basically, the album was gonna be a live album that signaled a return to the Beatles touring for a new decade of Beatles music.
Instead, they broke up. The sessions were handled by Phil Spector without much involvement from them. They're full of overdubs and strings and reverb and all else. So it's a bunch of crummy live performances (don't sound great compared to their other stuff) mixed with sappy string music (doesn't fit their original idea) and in the end it's really disappointing for a last Beatles release. Dig It and Maggie Mae weren't included as jokes, they had to be there because there was literally not enough songs from the sessions.
That being said, I think that the dust has settled, and taking it for what it is it's a fine album. We don't need to worry if it's good enough to be their last or not

Here's the original cover for the Get Back album, which you can see

Attached: BeatlesGetBack.jpg (1429x1416, 443K)

was a parody of their first album cover, Please Please Me

Attached: PleasePleaseMe.jpg (1482x1482, 364K)

How can you seriously believe Sgt. peppers birthed prog/art rock when it's just a pet sounds imitation?
Also, the velvet underground and nico came out months before this album.

And to think people though their hair was long there

My mom's favorite Beatles album is Rubber Soul and my dad's is Abbey Road.

Who is more patrician?

Attached: 1528670003871.jpg (700x609, 38K)

the beatles are the prototypical boy band

Is that supposed to make us like them any less? Ha

Your mom's more patrician but your dad has better taste

>Naked is better, please ask her to listen to it

YOu want his mum to listen to Let It Be naked?

its not bad its just not really that great

nah it's a cool album. I enjoy it quite a lot actually. but it's probably my 5th or 6th favourite Beatles record. so it's not worth talking about that much I suppose.

Let It Be gets passed over a lot because for a lot of its recording The Beatles weren't even really together. Iirc a lot of it was recorded by each individual member separately and i think John had even left the band while it was still being worked on. Abbey Road was their true final album and I don't hate Let It Be but the Get Back project never really worked out and the band was done and it really shows on the album.

Listen, great discussion happening but the fact is that it's her "favorite album" because she likes the song let it be and just kind of picked whichever album had it. Sorry young OP but this is your first realization that women don't enjoy music in the way you and I do. They listen to the radio and MAYBE look up a song on youtube later if they like it. They are not album listeners. She is still your mother so obviously you'll still love her but just know that she is not interested or invested in the beatles like you are.

Let it Be is only her favorite because that's what I put on when I fucked her

Attached: TrollFace.jpg (3840x2160, 315K)

I think you’re conflating it with the white album. The white album has a ton of stuff recorded solo by the different members. Let It Be was a bunch of live sessions that were overdubbed over to create a semblance of a coherent album

Abbey Road is their actual last album anyway

Naked is one of their best albums. Let It Be is one of their worst.

Two naked bodies, ready to engage in love-making
>I DID A PYGMY BY CHARLES HARTY AND THE DEAF-AIDES
A pack of cigarettes lays on the bed stand, the lights are low—is it midday or night? It is impossible to tell—he feels her intimates, how he loves her, her curves and her hair, it is not mere lust. No, mere lust may explain why a stranger looks at one on the street. But these two strangers are in bed together, who could dare to explain what brought them together like Adam and Eve, like Samson and Delilah, like Aphrodite and Ares, goddess of love and god of war, brought together on this lowly mattress. The air smells like every moment of lovemaking which has occurred, is occurring, will occur. He’ll long remember all the parts of it, every alien piece of communication that overloaded his sights, his smells, what he heard. And suddenly this act between two people will be remembered forever. On long nights it will enter both their minds. No means of communication between the two of them years later. And it is like the whole room, the whole universe, curves into her, who he will lick and caress every bit of
>PHASE ONE IN WHICH DORIS GETS HER OATS
The two lovers, like perfect white doves on their perfect little bed, fall into one other, in every moment of lovemaking, to the sound of legendary songwriting duo Lennon and McCartneys worst acclaimed work together, playing over out the stereo

You okay there buddy?

I always consider Abbey Road to be their last album because that's the last one they worked on.

what's your favorite Beatle album?

genuinely tho let it be is more enjoyable than sgt pepper's the live cuts are really endearing and the only glaring issue is with the spector additions to tlawr and the fact that he left don't let me down off

based

Maybe Let it Be is the most perverse album for lovemaking, and maybe it is the most beautiful. A decade in the making, really an album worked on for all their lives. You listen to titans in the music industry, Lennon and McCartney, work as hard to make their relationship work amidst the banalities of life. Relationships, legal issues, destroy that amazing connection of lightning in a bottle that was John Lennon and Paul McCartney. They played a few weird blues and rock numbers over and over again for a month trying to recapture that magic they experienced when together, on stage, in studios, always, to no avail. They couldn’t know what was happening. The lyrics of Two of Us, Dig a Pony, reflect love songs with no affection, or maybe the most genuine affection. You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead. You can imitate anyone you know. John later called them rubbish, badly recorded shit with a lousy feel. But it’s beautiful. Beautiful and broken.
Now imagine, all that, all the fighting of Let It Be, the immaterial love. Imagine it all being condensed into a crummy album designed to fulfill a legal obligation. People for years put together fake ideas of what the Get Back Let It Be album might sound like. Beach Boys fans might know the Smile albums, it’s similar to that. Are they trying to showcase the sessions, or replicate what a proper last album might sound like? Should it go before or after Abbey Road? The Phil Spector version, Glyn Johns attempts, Let It Be… Naked from 2003. Have you, through piecing together those sessions, the Rooftop concert, the pieces that would later be put on McCartney, Plastic Ono Band singles, All Things Must Pass, have you discovered the perfect conclusion to the Beatles as a songwriting and performing unit?
Now imagine all that forgotten, not even cared for, background music, for two people fucking on a bad

Revolver

For years I’ve been trying to perfect the Let It Be album. I think there’s something to be stated in Glyn Johns track listing, where the rooftop sessions are put on side one and and the studio sessions are put on side two. One After 909 is a perfect album opener.
-One After 909
-Don’t Let Me Down (use the past masters single version or the Let It Be naked version. I love the dialogue before it on Glyn Johns Get Back album, but I’m not a huge fan of the take picked. John even says at the end “well, ladies and gentleman, I’d like to change the tempo a little.” Feel free to, between One After 909 and Don’t Let Me Down, stick a quick jam session. Glyn Johns chose Rocker (a version of Fats Domino - I’m Ready) and a quick run through of Save The Last Dance For Me. You can choose Rip It Up, Shake Rattle and Roll, Blue Suede Shoes, any quick run through of a rock standard fits between One After 909 and Don’t Let Me Down)
-Dig A Pony
-I’ve Got A Feeling
These two John says “we’ll do Dig A Pony straight into I’ve Got A Fever” on the Get Back album. As such, I’ve always put them together. I’d like a full stereo mix of Dig A Pony from the rooftop concert with no embellishments, like the “All I Want Is” at the beginning cut out. The version on Let It Be works as kind of a substitute, it’s embellished, but it is the rooftop concert version. I’ve Got A Feeling, I don’t like the one on the Get Back album (it’s the one on Anthology 3, it breaks down in the middle). Use the Let It Be or Let It Be…Naked version, the Let It Be version is a rooftop take, the Let It Be naked is a composite take of the rooftop sessions.
-I Me Mine
Not a rooftop song, the full rock makes it fit here. The Anthology version is one minute and 30 seconds long, the one on Let It Be and Let It Be… Naked is extended by taking the second verse and looping it. They all sound mostly the same, it’s a matter of personal preference which one you put here
1/

but isn't pet sounds just a revolver imitation, the superior album?

>one after 909 is a perfect album opener
i'm really attached to two of us as an opener just because of the "i did a pygmy" segment but if that could be edited onto one after 909 we'd have a winner

>Feel free to, between One After 909 and Don’t Let Me Down, stick a quick jam session. Glyn Johns chose a rocker
yeah i think he was right in doing that. let it be isn't exactly the kind of album that has to be outstanding. it should probably follow the general structure most albums have by opening with energetic stuff and slowing down as the album goes on

you've been following that energetic -> calmer throughout in the next few (along with keeping dig a pony and i've got a feeling together) and it seems pretty based so far

It's so on the nose

-Get Back
Here’s a song you can choose multiple versions of, there are a ton of great takes. They released it as a single, and that studio version is great. You can choose the Let It Be version with the dialogue and no coda, or the single version, with no dialogue but a coda. There’s also on Let It Be… Naked a version with no dialogue and no coda, but why choose that version? Missed opportunity to release a great version on that album. On the rooftop, they went through three great versions. One is released in full stereo on Anthology. It’s where Paul jokes about playing on roofs, it’s also the last song they played together live. It’s marred cause someone turned off the speaker during Johns solo. I wish there was a way to get the full solo, miscommunication hurt the last song the Beatles played live. Nevertheless, Get Back ends the rooftop side. We’re now on the studio side
I don’t know what to put here. For You Blue works. There’s a version on Anthology with a nice piano. But on the album, George makes funny remarks during the solo. I think I prefer the album version for that alone.
-For You Blue
Now after that, we still have Two of Us, Dig It, and all the ballads. I don’t really care about Maggie Mae. I don’t like Teddy Boy, which was written to be included and Paul put on McCartney. We’ll keep it there, and leave it off the Beatles final album. I say put Two of Us here for inclusion after For You Blue, and use any version
-Two of Us
-Dig It
If you have the full jam, five minutes long, put it here. If not, use the 30 seconds on Let It Be. I don’t get why Spector did it. John says “that was Can You Dig It by George E Woods, and now we’d like to do Hark the Angels Come.” Hark the Angels Come is Let It Be, which comes next
For Let It Be the track, the album version is silly. With too much echo on Ringo’s drums and the choir and the distortion on George’s solo. It’s overdone!
2/

I say use either the Let It Be… Naked version which has no strings, or the single version, which has string/choir accompaniments. It’s a matter of personal opinion. Some people say the album should follow strictly to the orthodoxy of no embellishments, some say it’s about making a good album and the strings and stuff don’t matter. It’s a matter of contention and intense personal preference here. I really like this structure of rooftop rock, acoustic in studio jams, and than at the end ballads mostly on piano. One song that I haven’t mentioned yet is Across the Universe. Some say it counts as a piano ballad and should be stuck between Let It Be and The Long and Winding Road, so it’s not Two Paul ballads back to back. I sympathize with that view, but I also think Across the Universe is a nice closer. I’m not sure what to do here

Let it Be Naked is weird as it improves a lot of the deep cuts but tracks standout tracks like The Long and Winding Road and Across The Universe lose their charm that the Spector mixes gave them.

With these ballads at the end, you get to control the end feeling of the album. What it leaves you with. I used to be in the no embellishments camp, but now I’m more in the “use strings it doesn’t matter” camp.
There are many great versions of Across the Universe, the nature version on Past Masters wouldn’t work here. It wouldn’t fit the album. Anthology 2 has Across the Universe with a sitar, which I’m not sure fits here either. There’s a great take on the white album deluxe version. The Let It Be Naked version has no strings and is in the natural key. The album version, slowed down with strings, is beautiful. Maybe put that at the end? I’m not sure
For The Long and Winding Road, I’d like a way to control the string overdubs. I think it’s a song that works with string, but the album version is overdone and silly. If the strings were lowered in volume, it’d be easier to manage, we could put it on the album right there and be fine.
So I say, the Let It Be… Naked version of the Long and Winding Road, the Let It Be version of Across the Universe. But it’s personal preference really. And which ends the album? I guess also, personal preference

if the full jam of dig it is before let it be, you can put the long and winding road before it without having two paul ballads in a row

It’s all over the string controversy. Should these albums have orchestral string or not?
I also hate that Let It Be… Naked removes all the dialogue. The dialogue between takes is one of the biggest charms for me of Get Back/Let It Be sessions. Without it, Let It Be… Naked just feels stirile and soulless to me

I think that’s the saddest thing. How can the Beatles have all these great albums, and then their final album is just, meh? Yeah, some bands stick together and produce crap after crap after crap, but the Beagles were together only a decade. WHY IS THEIR FINAL ALBUM SO OPEN FOR DEBATE AND REINTERPRETATION? WHY AREN’T ANY OF THE SONGS DONE PERFECTLY? WHY COULDN’T IT END PERFECTLY?

i guess it comes to the point at which you get someone who can replicate the production well enough to record some new string parts for you and slap em onto the versions without strings

difficult

Attached: naked.jpg (721x721, 125K)

That’s an interesting idea, I really don’t like this block of strings. The tracks sound like a cement wall stuck together, overpowering any other track on the album. Separating the ballads, spreading them thin, does give the album more balance

Difficult is a nice word, I’m having a breakdown over here

I’d just like to maybe have open pro-tools with the strings and The Long and Winding Road as they played it, so I could maybe sync them up and lower the volume
This thread has awakened something in me, a spirit I haven’t felt in a while. I have listened now, since it began, to the entire Let It Be album and Glyn Johns Get Back album. I’m gonna put on Let It Be… Naked after I post this

The issue I have in addition to it lacking strings, is the weird track listing. I don’t really like the way it’s put together. I wish instead of Let It Be… Naked, they just released the entire rooftop concert and some of the other tracks in unadorned stereo. They put too much production into Let It Be… Naked, too much weight into what I guess they thought the album should sound like. It would have been better to to just release the sessions and let fans make of them what they will. Instead I’m going through bootlegs with terrible sound quality, recorded on nagra rolls. When you mix them in with the released takes it sounds lopsided

I really think Get Back/Let It Be can be compared and contrasted with The Beach Boys Smile album. On the wiki page for Smile it says “Smile (stylized as SMiLE) is an unfinished album by American rock band the Beach Boys that was projected to follow their 11th studio album, Pet Sounds (1966)”
It should say something like that for Let It Be, and Let It Be needs a release like Smile got, of a bunch of different sessions following what the album might have sounded like, but then there’s also Smiley Smile and Brian Wilson’s Smile.
Picture this, 2020, the fiftieth anniversary of the Beatles dissolution in 1970. The Beatles might release, should release, I want them to release, Let It Be deluxe. Included would be all attempts at making it, those being Let It Be, Glyn Johns Get Back, and Let It Be… Naked. Following that, a best-of highlight reel of those 30 days of sessions, not on crummy nagra, but remastered in full stereo. At the end, the rooftop concert and the January 31st sessions. Then, a few other amenities. The strings of the Long and Winding Road and all the ballads isolated. Takes of I Me Mine made months later, etc.
I might be able to go through those and create the perfect album, and then decide where that fits in their discography

Attached: 7B322AAA-A5CA-4B88-A94E-CDA22F90EA6E.jpg (316x316, 30K)

Another thing to decide is the album cover. Should it be the Please Please Me recreation, or photographs of them isolated like on the release? Is it possible there’s some great other album cover to be made? Maybe a picture of them playing in their sessions would the perfect cover, and that photograph was waiting for you to discover it? Who knows

Now, in addition to the track listing and the album cover, there’s another issue that has to be settled: is this the Beatles last album, or is this merely a warm up to prepare people for listening to Abbey Road, their true last album?

I’m now near the end of Let It Be… Naked
I still don’t know fully what fits where and how to place it. It’s inciting and inviting me
Maybe I should take the songs advice and let it be? Maybe

Let It Be… Naked is over.
Speaking of their whole sessions, someone needs to fix this, I don’t like what happened here. I really wish there was an easy set of albums you could stick after the white album, and just end the Beatles as a band there. I wish it were that simple

Bump

Based as fuck

Woah…

PWNAGE

Abbey road is better.

They do have a Let It Be fiftieth release lined up. Fingers crossed, user

A sad but true thing everyone needs to realize eventually

Bump

Nice opinion about someone you don't know, you condescending sexist little shit.

so that's where this image was from

Attached: old beats.jpg (300x300, 92K)

Calling the album 'Let it Be' was definitely a signal for everyone to just get over it and move on with their lives. I like the album for that reason. Even when I was a little kid, born way after the fact, I understood what they were getting at.

spector’s across the universe > naked version

agreed. get rid of all that cheesy orchestration.
and its a fine album. who cares?

Unpopular but true

white album gang rise up

How do you feel about Get back?

>Picture this, 2020, the fiftieth anniversary of the Beatles dissolution in 1970. The Beatles might release, should release, I want them to release, Let It Be deluxe. Included would be all attempts at making it, those being Let It Be, Glyn Johns Get Back, and Let It Be… Naked. Following that, a best-of highlight reel of those 30 days of sessions, not on crummy nagra, but remastered in full stereo. At the end, the rooftop concert and the January 31st sessions. Then, a few other amenities. The strings of the Long and Winding Road and all the ballads isolated. Takes of I Me Mine made months later, etc.
Holy shit what a terrible, boring listen
kys

>my mom's favorite album

Yeah, it's bad.

Nice mommy issues

You dumbass you don’t just sit and listen to box sets of session releases. For any band, not just the Beatles. That’s be ridiculous. Is that what you’ve been doing?

>You dumbass you don’t just sit and listen to box sets of session releases.
Spotted the pleb

Also literally everything user listed is out there already

all of them are bad

The sessions, in full stereo, not the nagra reels, are out there? Where? I’ve got a ton of bootlegs, but I haven’t even heard about that

>The sessions, in full stereo, not the nagra reels, are out there?
Shouldn't you be asking user ?

Why would I ask him? He’s the one who wants them to be released. You’re the one who said they’re already released.

>Why would I ask him?
He's the one who originally bought it up
>You’re the one who said they’re already released.
When did I say that?

You said that here >Also literally everything user listed is out there already
So where is it? I remember when Take Your Knickers Off was released, and that’s just one take of a song. Are the Let It Be sessions (not the nagra reels, in stereo) really out there?

>You said that here
Sorry, I'm not seeing where I said "already released".

Try again?

Have sex

Take the L and move on. You don’t know the difference between nagra reels (which have been out there since the seventies) vs the full stereo sessions (which are not out there at all, like Carnival of Light).

So you misspoke

No I didn’t, where did I misspeak?

This.
I love Phil but he was the wrong producer for this record.

Is that meant to be an answer? I didn’t misspeak there.

Still didn’t misspeak. I couldn’t have misspoke, as I was typing, not speaking.

>Surprisingly she thinks the spector one is better

Your mother has a good ear.

The Spector version is superior.

Look, he only fiddled around with the title track, The Long and Winding Road, and Across The Universe. All the other tracks pretty much match Let It Be Naked.

Spector's touches, in my opinion, enhanced the beauty of the songs.

Attached: philspector.jpg (4200x3081, 1.56M)

Sweet then show me were I mentioned "release" and I'll show you were the full stereo mixes are

Sure thing pal

Not what I asked for

Sorry user, I guess you don't get those stereo mixes

>Spector's touches, in my opinion, enhanced the beauty of the songs.
The original Across The Universe is an atrocity. Those effects sound like ass and the choir and orchestral backing is cheesy as fuck. He turned a heartfelt and intimate folk song into a bloated mess.

nah the fucking choir on the long and winding road is just too much. i me mine doesn't need the string sections either.
the the rock tracks by specter are better though. much more punchier and panned

>heartfelt and intimate folk
Except that's not what Lennon intended

No you asked for exactly that. Try to keep up. Now who released them? Purple Chick? Vigotone? Some new label? How did it get out there?

>No you asked for exactly that.
I didn't. I asked where I said "release". So far you haven't shown me where I said that
>Now who released them? Purple Chick? Vigotone? Some new label? How did it get out there?
I will give you what you want, if you just give me what I want.

Or admit you made a mistake

>I didn't. I asked where I said "release". So far you haven't shown me where I said that
Oh I didn’t? Oops, that’s my mistake, let me link it now

Not there.

I guess you don't get what you want. Goodbye user. I would say treat people with more respect the first time around, and they'd be more willing to share beatlegs with you.

I’m getting exactly what I want

lennon didn't even like the take he did and the guitar was out of tune. yet it got put out anyway. what he wanted was pretty much redundant

This.
The imperfections in that recording are what make it so good. It wouldn't exactly be the first time an artist had a track they were unhappy with go on to be one of their most lauded performances.
youtube.com/watch?v=oNJpes0XFGU

It’s weird, I like the lyrics and the tune, but I don’t know if there’s any version by any artist I really like

>I always consider Abbey Road to be their last album because that's the last one they worked on

i still don't really get the history of this. I Me Mine was the last recorded Beatle's song after all (even if Lennon wasn't present because he hated George)

90% of Let It Be is based on the sessions from January 1969, even though there are overdubs, and retakes, and in the case of I Me Mine and Across the Universe entire takes taking from different time periods, the bulk of Let It Be comes from before Abbey Road, and Abbey Road was recorded after they pretty much abandoned Let It Be as an album project

Margot Guryan is better tbqh

don't let me down isn't on the original, so Naked is automatically the better record

Tha fact that sa many baaks stall nama tha Baatlas as "tha graatast ar mast sagnafacant ar mast anflaantaal" rack band avar anly talls yaa haw far rack masac stall as fram bacamang a saraaas art. Jazz cratacs hava lang racagnazad that tha graatast jazz masacaans af all tamas ara Daka Ellangtan and Jahn Caltrana, wha wara nat tha mast famaas ar rachast ar bast sallars af thaar tamas, lat alana af all tamas. Classacal cratacs rank tha haghly cantravarsaal Baathavan avar classacal masacaans wha wara haghly papalar an caarts araand Earapa. Rack cratacs ara stall blandad by cammarcaal saccass. Tha Baatlas sald mara than anyana alsa (nat traa, by tha way), tharafara thay mast hava baan tha graatast. Jazz cratacs graw ap lastanang ta a lat af jazz masac af tha past, classacal cratacs graw ap lastanang ta a lat af classacal masac af tha past. Rack cratacs ara aftan tatally agnarant af tha rack masac af tha past, thay baraly knaw tha bast sallars. Na wandar thay wall thank that tha Baatlas dad anythang warthy af baang savad.