ITT: Late era 120 Minutes/MTV2's Subterranean-core

Do you remember the final few years of MTV's 120 Minutes program, when it moved to MTV2 and later re-branded as "Subterranean"?

This was THE place to see new indie/alt/underground videos in the time before Youtube became a viable platform.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 8.39.59 PM.png (308x240, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z-mxBDuRaZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA
youtube.com/watch?v=pI2rEaVjVxs
youtube.com/watch?v=gqvBoFpgXQA
youtube.com/watch?v=bVFtIYk3b6c
youtube.com/watch?v=GikWha5TC94
youtube.com/watch?v=VHFUXH4PP5c
youtube.com/watch?v=zs7FG7usAAw
youtube.com/watch?v=0vkui5vT824
youtube.com/watch?v=euLlKUvll7E
youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM
youtube.com/watch?v=w869Avr_fXI
youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU&list=PLXexaqVX3ZYXBn3-i8Vfc11PDtX1Xco3p&index=36
youtube.com/watch?v=qczr6Z2qtpE
youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds
youtube.com/watch?v=RFGo5cqcxP4
youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE
youtube.com/watch?v=qC128euLMwM
youtube.com/watch?v=hmHgY_J63Ik
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I have very vague memories of seeing this at 2 AM in 6th grade

I discovered it while channel surfing at a young age as well. I think I must have been watching Adult Swim or something and it was repeating the block over again so I was flipping around until I found Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out video.

I remember it. I used to catch it every once and a while in the early 2000s.

Not you again. Look dude, I have nothing against you. Hell, I used to post in these threads but they're starting to feel tiresome. Give it a rest for a bit.

Also, Jim Shearer was a fag.

Attached: 1539998429101.png (1000x1000, 390K)

I'm not the dude who does the usual 120 minutes/college rock threads actually. Personally, I don't really like a lot of that era of stuff. For me the most interesting was the post-95/96 through mid 10s indie scene.

Ah my bad. Honestly I feel the same way too. There are a lot of bands I do like from that 120 Minutes/college rock era but ehhh I have more of a thing for the whole 2000s-early 2010s indie scene.

>For me the most interesting was the post-95/96 through mid 10s indie scene.
80s and early 90s era MTV 120 Minutes/Alt scene beat all that shit by miles. Especially from a commercial position. Smiths, Cure, etc vs fucking Franz Ferdinand and 2000s era Modest Mouse, Strokes etc.

I saw LCD Soundsystem on here I think

I mean probably yeah, but in my experience I feel like I just perceived a lot of that stuff as being kind of out-dated/dadrock-y (because it was like 10 - 20 years old at the time) and just liked whatever was coming out at the time.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Jim predicted the "soul vs soulless" meme

Attached: 9rfk08r.png (574x385, 74K)

Attached: 1441159093773.jpg (1997x1494, 619K)

I'm just gonna post some stuff I remember seeing and liking:
youtube.com/watch?v=z-mxBDuRaZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA
youtube.com/watch?v=pI2rEaVjVxs
youtube.com/watch?v=gqvBoFpgXQA
youtube.com/watch?v=bVFtIYk3b6c
youtube.com/watch?v=GikWha5TC94
youtube.com/watch?v=VHFUXH4PP5c
youtube.com/watch?v=zs7FG7usAAw

Fuck this just brings me back to a bygone era: Hipster Runoff, MTV2 and Fuse, Old Pitchfork, Old Vice, SiriusXMU, Aquarium Drunkard, Gorilla Vs. Bear, also old Yea Forums when it transitioned from metal to indie, "landfill indie" and all those NME bands, fucking chillwave and witch house....

jesus man

I actually do remember a lot of those videos being played back then. For me it's the mid to late 2000s Blog/Myspace era that was really important.

Attached: human-tree-full01.jpg (727x836, 181K)

>mfw Fuse is the only channel that plays Malcolm in the Middle in HD

Attached: 1555660321820.png (350x427, 122K)

The only channel worth a damn on network cable and it too has fallen hard, is VH1/MTV Classic. Fuse used to be pretty decent at least in entertaining music shows. Anyone remember Uranium? youtube.com/watch?v=0vkui5vT824

>MTV Classic
I find it funny how the same people who were whining and crying for MTV to do something like that were the same ones responsible for that channel's demise.

It really only ever plays music videos with the occasional classic MTV advert, the only thing to really frame it as "MTV". VH1 Classic literally was 24/7 videos for many years. For it to really be "MTV Classic" they would need to play classic shows as well. But, as far as most channels for music it's the best you can get now, really.

For awhile, they were playing actual classic MTV shows then they switched to music videos 24/7.

Was VH1 Classic really on autopilot before they changed it to MTV Classic? My cable provider dropped that channel back in like 2011 or 12. I remember them playing pop up videos, documentaries, That Metal Show and hell even some movies.

Back in the early 2000s, all the way back at least 2001, from what I remember, the channel was pretty much 24/7 music videos. They would have blocks of different genres, maybe some live concerts, but mostly all music. They even had a segment I used to tape that play 2 hours in the evenings around 10 at night, it was literally just 120 Minute blocks from the old days. So many great videos used to get played. It eventually did start playing movies and other shit, and yeah, I guess That Metal Show was on there, Jesus I haven't seen that in years.

Yup. So much cool shit I would discover. Also a lot of it was super synthpop/electronic connected, like tons of remixes of indie stuff which was really interesting.

Damn, that's pretty cool. I think the HD copies only ever aired in Europe (except for the last 2 seasons on FOX) but were on Netflix too though not anymore?

I remember when Fuse used to be mostly music videos though (it used to be MuchMusic USA). The last one I remember premiering on there was "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" by Coldplay and everything else was just syndicated reruns, because at that point I think Youtube was basically the place for videos.

I think Malcolm got taken off of Netflix back in 2017. Not too sure. I know MTV2 played reruns of Malcolm for a short period but I think they were in standard definition (they only played the first season and never aired it after that.)

I was pretty late to the whole Fuse scene. We were between being poor and middle class and didn't get cable until like 2006. IIRC at that point, Fuse was doing non-music stuff like airing Whitest Kids U Know. I remember watching the shows Loaded and Video Yearbook a lot. Unfortunately, due to me having really shit memory and never taking the time to write down the artists name, there's only like a handful I could list that I discovered through Fuse and still listen to.

I remember by the time I stopped watching the channel, it started to slowly become an autopilot channel despite premiering new shows. Like last thing I remember watching on the channel was the movie Joe's Apartment.

Honestly, Fuse was my shit at the time. I was a teenager and loved all the MTV2 shit, but Fuse was objectively better for me. They played more music, they played better music, and when they weren't it was good shit. I still remember them playing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre tons and the Shining, too. That was influential to me. Better morning music block, too. MTV did Beyonce, they did My Chem.

And now it's all gone. G4 too. Man TV died hard with the advent of the internet, and it really doesn't want to admit it. Wonder there hasn't been a try at an alt-steaming service like that. I know Youtube is a giant but I feel like there's a market for it.

Attached: 1487048760411.jpg (856x478, 37K)

Yeah, I stopped watching towards the end, only tuning in very sporadically just out of curiosity. Same with MTV2, they used to rerun older MTV shows and had some ok originals, but eventually started phasing out more and more video blocks (ie. Subterranean kept getting moved around and pushed back later into the night, literally airing at like 5 AM for the last few months of its existence, though fortunately I had been DVRing it for a while) in favor of originals, which then got phased out until the channel was literally just all reruns of normie MTV stuff and other Viacom properties. IDK if it's still like that.

Not to mention after about 2010 or 2011 a lot of cable television became obsolete thanks to Hulu and Netflix becoming big and also the internet just being a great source of content anyway.

The death of TV is a really sad thing to witness. I even sort of miss G4, even though it was so much better as TechTv and I used to watch The Screen Savers and Martin Sargent's talk show.

youtube.com/watch?v=euLlKUvll7E
I used to see this video a lot, while the few times this song was ever on MTV it was like an actual video.

Fuse just felt realer to me.

>G4 too
Yeah, until they turned into just Cops and Cheaters reruns: the channel. TechTV was better, even had an anime block.

>G4
I gotta be honest. I don't have that much nostalgia for that channel man. Maybe it's just because I got older, but fuck going back and watching X-Play is just a pain for me. That shit was obnoxious to rewatch. Cheat! though was pretty fun and it's cool to look back on though I will admit that.

Back when I had cable up until 2016, I would admittedly tune into MTV2 for the sitcom reruns. Yeah, I could've just pirated them but admittedly I'm a lazy fuck. There was just something comfy about watching 3 hours of Everybody Hates Chris followed by Martin. Also, Saved by the Bell and Boy Meets World in the mornings.

These are the videos that were played for episode one of Subterranean:

>Episode 1
5/10/03
Host - Jim Shearer Guest - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Video Playlist - Coldplay - "The Scientist" Bright Eyes - "Bowl Of Oranges" The Libertines - "Up The Bracket" Interpol - "Obstacle 1" The Datsuns - "In Love" Cat Power - "He War" Nada Surf - "Inside Of Love" Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Date With The Night" Caesars - "Jerk It Out" Electric Six - "Danger! High Voltage!"less

Attached: yeahyeahyeahs.jpg (144x80, 5K)

Fuck, you're so right. I forgot about that version. Man we all loved Fall Out Boy then.

Fuse often played the alt versions like that, the original cut pre-record-label-video versions. It was a really great feeling at the time. They had good bumpers too for a while, and munchies was fun.

This is super produced but they played it tons at the time, more than MTV who admittedly did. Loved it at the time. Made me think Jared Leto would be a good Joker if it had ever come to it. I wish it hadn't.

youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM

Shit do I miss G4. I loved Tech TV, I watched every episode of Extended Play, and I even watched one of Tommy Tallarico's concerts live, it was like a religious experience at the time. Nice guy, too. Definitely went downhill, though. I will never understand who they thought the market was those last few years.

Attached: 1469782084659.png (720x540, 463K)

Fuse was way too much nonsense emo crap for my taste. I swear every time I tuned in it was like either AFI or MCR or Dashboard Confessional.

>Caesars - "Jerk It Out"
youtube.com/watch?v=w869Avr_fXI

Oh holy shit this song lol

youtube.com/watch?v=oIIxlgcuQRU&list=PLXexaqVX3ZYXBn3-i8Vfc11PDtX1Xco3p&index=36
This song was on every channel 24/7 in 2003.

I tried listening to the album that the song came from. It's... an album alright. You can tell it was the "major commercial hit" of the whole album. I have no idea if they're even popular in their home country.

Yeah, I just looked it up at the same time. What's this Caesar's Palace shit? I've only ever heard them as the Caesars, well, for this one song. Was that a copyright thing and Warner just said fuck it for youtube?

>n their native Sweden, the band was originally known as Caesars Palace, a name which was changed to avoid conflicting with the name of the Las Vegas hotel. In the rest of Scandinavia they are known as Twelve Caesars. Elsewhere they go by the name Caesars.

>Season 2, Episode 1:

9/6/03
Host - Jim Shearer Guest - Kenna (Album - New Sacred Cow)

Video Playlist - Kenna - "Hell Bent" The Libertines - "I Get Along" Kings Of Leon - "Molly's Chambers" The Raveonettes - "That Great Love Sound" Turin Brakes - "Painkiller" Spoon - "Jonathan Fisk" The Thorns - "I Can't Remember" Kenna - "Freetime" Jet - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?" The Waifs - "Lighthouse"less

Attached: Subterranean 1.jpg (144x80, 5K)

My local alt station used to spin it too. 2003 - 2007 was the point where they started transitioning away from the post-grunge/nu-metal crap that had been infecting them since the late 90s, shed a fair bit of emo and pop punk, and started playing more Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, Killers, Gorillaz, new stuff by 90s bands like Weezer and Foo Fighters, and a fair amount of 90s classic alt back on the playlist. Was pretty kino honestly

youtube.com/watch?v=qczr6Z2qtpE

youtube.com/watch?v=5bfseWNmlds

>Season 2, Episode 36:

1/25/04
Host - Jim Shearer

Video Playlist - The Von Bondies - "C'mon C'mon" Ryan Adams - "So Alive" Eisley - "Marvelous Things" Stereophonics - "Maybe Tomorrow" The Velvet Teen - "Prizefighter" Pretty Girls Make Graves - "This Is Our Emergency" Super Furry Animals - "Hello Sunshine" Starsailor - "Silence Is Easy" Joe Strummer - "Redemption Song"less

>The Von Bondies
Man, I remember them for a second:
youtube.com/watch?v=RFGo5cqcxP4

Attached: Von.jpg (144x80, 6K)

>The Von Bondies - "C'mon C'mon"
I only know this from that Denis Leary show that was on FX after It's Always Sunny

>The Von Bondies
Never actually gave them a chance, but goddamn Jack White punching the lead singer was like a death kiss to their career.

I vaguely remember that happening. Jack White really was so fucking full of himself.

>South By Southwest (SXSW) Festival

Episode 30
4/2/04
Host - Jim Shearer Guests - The Polyphonic Spree; British Sea Power *Footage from this episode was taken from the South By Southwest Festival held in Austin, TX.

Video Playlist - The Polyphonic Spree - "Light And Day" Radio 4 - "Dance To The Underground" Starsailor - "Silence Is Easy" Eisley - "Marvelous Things" Super Furry Animals - "Hello Sunshine" Phantom Planet - "Big Brat" British Sea Power - "Remember Me" Elefant - "Misfit" The Secret Machines - "Sad And Lonely"less

When people actually cared about SWSW.

Attached: SWSW.jpg (144x80, 6K)

Honestly, now that I think about it and having read that oral history book that came out a while back about the NYC scene: Strokes, Interpol, LCD, etc. honestly the whole indie era was pretty cool.

It was the last breath of vibrant guitar music that was beholden to "rock" as a traditional style, that also spun into more experimental/eclectic/electronic territory at times, all while absolutely dominating critical acclaim/tastemakers. Not only that, but they also absolutely penetrated mainstream pop culture and the collective conciousness in a major way. I think the bottom fell out around the early - mid 10s when the OG bands of the scene either all broke up for good, became irrelevant, or reached new heights of popularity (albeit, by this point they were really having to tweak their sound a bit to keep up with changing pop trends). That and once you get to the dirge of post-Mumford "indie folk" around 2012 that was inexplicably popular or the whole post-Foster the People imitations (Grouplove, etc.), it was all a bit shit really.

Literally all Brit acts lmao. In a way it's almost like the early days of "alternative" where most of the bands that US college students who didn't like AOR or Top 40 was just whatever was flavor of the month band was being hyped up by John Peel or the NME or Melody Maker in England. The era right before grunge broke was particularly hilarious: Inspiral Carpets, Jesus Jones, Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine, Ned's Atomic Dustbin.

Like who the fuck even remembers British Sea Power or Starsailor.

>Ned's Atomic Dustbin.
IT'S NOT FAIR

I really only heard them by name. I think I might have some mp3s from Limewire I saved from them, that's about the extent. I literally haven't thought of them for a decade until this thread.

>Inspiral Carpets
my older cousin had one of these shirts

The is in reference to British Sea Power and Starsailor.
>Jesus Jones
Oh man.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 11.34.27 PM.png (406x376, 71K)

Gorillaz

Episode 40
Host - Jim Shearer Guest - Gorillaz (album: Demon Days)
Video Playlist - The White Stripes - "Blue Orchid" Tegan and Sara - "Speak Slow" Bloc Party - "Banquet" Oasis - "Lyla" Danger Mouse & Jemini - "What You Sittin' On" Muse - "Stockholm Syndrome" Gorillaz - "Feel Good Inc." The National - "Abel" Nic Armstrong and the Thieves - "Broken Mouth Blues"less

Attached: Gorillaz.jpg (144x80, 5K)

Back in either 2015 or 2016, I considered doing a whole 120 Minutes/Subterranean-esque show on Yea Forumstant Radio (remember when that was a thing?), playing stuff from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and the current decade, but I don't know. I felt like not many people would've been interested.

Attached: 1554425280531.jpg (630x636, 204K)

Rilo Kiley

Episode 8
10/24/04
Host - Jim Shearer Guest - Rilo Kiley (album: More Adventurous)

Video Playlist - Muse - "Hysteria" The Stills - "Lola Stars And Stripes" The Datsuns - "Girl's Best Friend" McLusky - "She Will Only Bring You Happiness" The Shore - "Hard Road" Citizen Cope - "Bullet And A Target" Rilo Kiley - "It's A Hit" Jem - "They" Read Yellow - "The Art"less

Rilo Kiley was great.

Attached: Rilo.jpg (144x80, 4K)

I remember Yea Forums radio, at least where Fantano did a interview on there.

>Yea Forumstant Radio
I used to have a show playing a "pirate radio" kind of set basically the whole continuum of rave music from acid house to future garage/post-dubstep (remember those??? James Blake and Burial and Kode9 and shit were the biggest names)

>playing stuff from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and the current decade
That sounds cool but also super fucking broad as a timeline. I feel like there's at least 3 distinct eras: the "first wave" (ie. punk to right before grunge) the "grunge/modern rock boom" era ('91/'92 to about '98), the "post-alternative" era (about '98 to ???). And in the latter, there's a pretty clear delineation between what was "alternative" on the radio (Limp Bizkit, Matchbox 20 et al.) and what was "alternative/indie" in the music press/record stores (Grandaddy, Built to Spill). Basically with each era, the divide between underground and overground widened significantly.

Yeah I get what you mean. I made a mock playlist a long time ago and showed it to a few friends and they had the same comments.

Care to share what was on it if you recall?

Rilo Kiley was great. Love Jenny Lewis.

Speaking of which
reminds me of the "Nice as Fuck" band Jenny was in.

Depends on what kind of music you're playing.

From what I can remember

Nig-Heist - Big Wheels
The Beatnigs - Television
Why? - Black Friday
The Front Bottoms - Swimming Pool

That's all I can remember. I don't know whatever happened to the text file I had written down, but I had a habit of trying to have songs that seemed like the right transitions for each other if that makes sense.

>Why? - Black Friday
you mean good friday?

Another artist I had in the list that I just remembered was You Slut! but I don't remember what song.

I do. I don't know why I was thinking it was called Black Friday instead of Good Friday.

youtube.com/watch?v=SPlQpGeTbIE

Who remembers this? If you don't, just wait until the chorus...

Bump. I don't want to see this thread die.

youtube.com/watch?v=qC128euLMwM

Member Grizzly Bear

At least Tame Impala has made it pretty big even if its just watered down synthpop with his earlier production style. It may not have been a chart success but it's got 300 million spotify streams since then. Basically everyone in college who's not a turbo normie knows it.

Black Dice though

and the Juan Maclean

My era but I don’t necessarily miss it or feel much nostalgia for groups like Franz Ferdinand

they had a couple good ones

like 3 good ones

nah

bump

Wasn't that Ryan Adams?

no

2000-2011 era was shit, too much revivalism

There used to be these interludes on MTV2 that would show stuff like tour dates and window blinds or other chill stuff. Anyone remember what I’m talking about? They would also have this ambient guitar playing. Trying to find a video of it

I do. I also remember seeing some interludes featuring their original shows like that puppet show from the Xavier guys. I remember waking up in the middle of the night and seeing one where one of the characters was stuck in like a lung or something and just yelling for help and there were multiple of him.

>2000-2011 era was shit, too much revivalism
It's worse now honestly

youtube.com/watch?v=hmHgY_J63Ik
I remember he did this song and that "When the Stars Go Blue" at the time.

and the wonderwall cover