How the FUCK do you actually learn guitar?

I've tried to teach myself how to play guitar so many times and always fail when I try to transition from practicing scales and chords into playing actual songs. Every single song I find is either so piss easy that it doesn't improve my skills at all, or WAY too fucking hard.

Anyone been in a similar position and have advice? Maybe I should just give up for good. Everyone says it's easy to teach yourself but clearly something is just not clicking.

>inb4 just play more bro haha

Attached: SS15TS-vert.jpg (895x387, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Start with something you really want to learn how to play, then take it to an instructor who can teach how to play it step by step.

Work on arpeggios instead of scales.

>inb4 just play more bro haha
So inb4 the correct answer?

>or WAY too fucking hard.

there's your problem. you need to go slow, break it down into parts, and fucking stop whining.

wrong answer, teach yourself. some of it is merely muscle memory, but much more of it is being able to think better and quicker. it takes practice, but the right type of practice.

you are a bitch. shut the fuck up and do your own research
sage

Just play in a band at 14 and it'll come naturally

I know I need to practice but I don't know HOW to practice and that's why I get stuck. Every time I "just play bro" I end up sitting there doing the exact same thing over and over again, namely just playing random notes like a spastic because everything else I try sounds like complete trash. I can lock myself in a room with a guitar for 3 hours and not learn a single thing. Do you understand my problem? I don't know what the fuck to do!
I don't know what an arpeggio is but I will look into it, thank you.

Study, goddamnit. How do you not even know what an arpeggio is? To learn you have to study.

>Everyone says it's easy to teach yourself

Everyone is fucking trolling you, then.

Take lessons. A good guitar instructor will give you the structure you're lacking and will help you to not develop bad habits.

>HOW to practice
Slow down and try to get your motions right, then speed up. Slowing down will help you see what's causing your mistakes. Count and sing along with what you are playing.
>I don't know what an arpeggio is
An arpeggio is a chord taken one note at a time. Find a teacher if at all possible.

here's how to practice. get a timer, set it to 15 minute increments for now (you'll do an hour later, but you're a scrub atm)

determine 4 things you want to learn. if it's something complicated like fucking schoenberg's verklarte nacht then try something like "the first two measures". if it's something that's too fast for you then you're going to practice it slowed down.

spend 15 minutes on each one. repeat until 10,000 hours have been logged.

Weed and lsd

do what jad fair did and detune the fuck out of your guitar so there are no expectations.

You get a good teacher

I'm going to tell you exactly what to do, and you're going to hate it and probably not do it, but here is how you actually get pretty good at guitar, and how you do it in a year or less.

>Practice with a metronome, SLOWLY. If you mess up, it is too fast. Yes, I know it will feel super slow and be humiliating to you that your timing sucks and you can't play fast. But this will make you so much better, so much faster. Try raising the speed little by little, if you mess up, drop it back down.
>Get, or download Mickey Baker's Complete Course in Jazz Guitar. I know you don't want to play jazz, you want to shred. But spend a week on each lesson, and it will cover every chord you will normally see, chord transitions, how to solo, melodies, etc etc. Spend a week on each lesson, there are 52 lessons. By the end of the year, you will be legitimately better than 80% of guitar players in your local music scene
>Pick a song that you want to play, and practice it slowly, using the metronome, until you can do it.

There is no secret, but discipline. You just need to practice. Instruments aren't video games or whatever, that are designed to be easy to play and be good at in a few hours.

Attached: apu the guitarist.jpg (584x512, 130K)

youtube.com/watch?v=vZDjWLwqAPY

HELPEDme

Attached: downloadberry.jpg (259x194, 6K)

I learned G, C, EM, and D a few months ago and I've been strumming away like a mad man here recently. Should probably start learning harder chords soon.

nah you're all set

that was hilarious

This. Also focus on a nice relaxed sensation in your hand. But really yeah... If something is too fast, you slow it down to a pace where you can do it without fucking up, and you use a metronome, so that you can eventually turn it off and not be shit

Well if you don't listen to any songs with guitar in it then you won't have any motivation to learn common techniques. If it's just too hard then either buck up or get a teacher.

I've been playing for 2 years now and the first song I learned was a Coldplay song on acoustic. Just basic chords. I progressed by learning Red Hot Chili Peppers songs and can't remember it getting too hard to continue. Find songs that give you that drive to keep learning.

METRONOME

Thank you for the advice anons, you have inspired me to keep trying. I will definitely get a metronome. I think it will be a huge help because I have a lot of trouble finding a consistent rhythm when I practice. I usually try tap my foot while strumming but I'm not coordinated enough to keep a steady rhythm. I can't really afford lessons right now but I don't think that should stop me from progressing.
I will look into this book. Thanks for the encouragement.
I have the opposite problem if anything, I listen to a lot of hard rock and metal that would be an absolute fucking nightmare to attempt. I have a hard time finding approachable songs from those genres. I was able to get the main riff from smells like teen spirit down. That wasn't too bad. Any other suggestions along those lines?

Glad I could encourage you, and enjoy the book. On Android, there is an app called Simple Metronome, which is free and has no ads. Don't know if it is on iOS as well

Attached: 1503096772781.png (429x709, 449K)

Based and redpilled

Attached: best guitar player.jpg (259x390, 14K)

Is that achievable natty?

Based ITAOTS bro

God finally a nice advice
and the best book out there just because zappa used it

go back

two of those are just proper spacing tho

Attached: 1525116227209.gif (60x95, 24K)

very much this, unless you're a hardcore autist you will never get good at an instrument without a lot of jamming with other people

Challenge accepted. Everything I do is hardcore, even being an autist

Just play like you do now but have music playing. Any music, and play along with it. So many great guitarists just did this with no books or anything. You'll suck at first but eventually you'll get the benefits. You can use scales but mostly just try to remember the licks and shapes that sound good.

I don't have the space or the time/money for electric. Would that still be a good book to follow on acoustic? I know acoustic is just /havesex/ core but it's bringing me joy. Don't know what to do other than harder and harder songs. Also thanks for the metronome tip, I'll start using one when I get home.

Yes. It is great for acoustic still - it's foundational guitar

where to find people to jam with?
tfw no friends playing instruments