Red Hot Chili Peppers, Overrated?

I was wondering your opinions on Red Hot Chili Peppers. personally I love but I know opinions can be very mitigates about them and I would love to hear why you don't like (or adore) them.

Attached: Anthony.jpg (526x350, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/2014/may/21/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-rocks-backpages-nirvana-1995-everett-true
loudwire.com/kurt-cobain-nearly-banned-dave-grohl-nirvana-unplugged-concert/
b1027.com/why-wont-foo-fighters-play-nirvana-songs/
youtube.com/watch?v=7o9luZwNSuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A lot of people hate Anthony and his songwriting. Some people don't like early Chili Peppers because it was just dumb grossout fratbro shit. Others don't like later chill, middle-aged, post-addiction Chili Peppers because they find it boring. OHM is extremely divisive.

Liked them in elementary school but they are really truly nothing special. Prime example of a band you grow out of as you learn more about music

You can do worse for mainstream rock

Yeah I'm not fan of their early albums (I have them and I found myself listening to them when i want to listen at some funk/punk shit) Even if my favorites album are from their late period (I'm listening to Gateway at this very moment)

Blood Sugar was amazing. They had a couple of good pop hits afterwards, but they really changed with Stadium Arcadium for the worst. All of that being said, Blood Sugar is one hell of an album to pull off. There is nothing like it.

Yeah I complety understand what you mean, as I'm exploring more and more music, I begin to get more bored of their stuffs

I totally agree with you, I was very disappointed by Stardium acardium (and omg this album is expensive, it's like 30 CAD$ that's a lot for a freakin' album with 2-3 good songs)

le funny naked bass man

Also Anthony is like Dave Grohl in that he's really not nearly as nice of a guy as he makes himself out to be.

By the Way, BSSM and Californication are the only albums worth listening to. By the Way is on thin ass ice though

Attached: flea naked.jpg (323x386, 23K)

I've met people I respect with their music taste that really love Stadium Arcadium though, so maybe I'm just set my ways and miss the old RHCP. I feel like they set the bar high, very early in their career, for a sound unsustainable in the music industry. It's certainly not a horrible album.

i like john frusciante but the others arent great

SA was John's parting gift. The guitar work is amazing, but the rest of the band's performances are indifferent. The tour was also questionable as well and Anthony seemed bored as fuck a lot of shows.

> Grohl asshole
Care to elaborate?

Yeah, I don't buy this (freaking) album for nothing (I loved wet sand and Dany California) even if I think that's it's pretty expensive for what it is

The guitar work is impressive on SA, I will give you that

Are you kidding me? Dave was scheming to get a solo deal as soon as he was signed to Geffen. Kurt Cobain always knew he was a snake in the grass, which is why he didn't let him have any participation in the band's creative process. I mean, most of us hate Courtney Love and rightly so, but her comments about Dave are pretty spot-on.

I understand they were feeling depressed at John's imminent departure and their live performances suffered for it.

Wanting to do something else doesn’t make him a “snake in the grass”
Maybe he was just bored of being the drummer and wanted to actually write songs?

>her comments about Dave are pretty spot on
Brother, she’s a druggie who doesn’t get along with anybody including Dave

Go to bed Dave. You suck and your band sucks.

Dave Grohl also bases his entire legacy around Nirvana not Foo Fighters, yet he's refused to play Nirvana songs live.

Never heard of that, source?

I don't think that's true... And there's really no winning with that. If he did play Nirvana songs, people would be butthurt over that too

theguardian.com/music/2014/may/21/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-rocks-backpages-nirvana-1995-everett-true

loudwire.com/kurt-cobain-nearly-banned-dave-grohl-nirvana-unplugged-concert/

b1027.com/why-wont-foo-fighters-play-nirvana-songs/

definition of a 5/10 band. Some songs are cool (scar tissue, californication, under the bridge) meanwhile others are dogshit.

I WANT TO PARTY ON YOUR PUSSY, BABY

Check out the instrumental version of Blood Sugar Sex Magik with a decent pair of headphones or monitors

>theguardian.com/music/2014/may/21/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-rocks-backpages-nirvana-1995-everett-true
Respectable

>loudwire.com/kurt-cobain-nearly-banned-dave-grohl-nirvana-unplugged-concert/
Respectable

>b1027.com/why-wont-foo-fighters-play-nirvana-songs/
Respectable

Wait, how did this thread about RHCP get hijacked by Foo Fighters PR agents?

10/10 rhythm section with a 1/10 vocalist

I never understood how Anthony managed to get away with that lame 80s white guy rapper 4/4 flow and nobody has ever called him out on it.

He had the balls to do it and the looks to pull it off. It really is an anomaly.

Ditto Woodstock '99. This looks like the 03-04 tour though.

youtube.com/watch?v=7o9luZwNSuE

Yeah I think it is. Wouldn't be Yokohama though since I doubt you'd get away with performing nude in Japan.

One of the reasons people don't like this band is because everyone's pretty much figured out that they can't write good songs without John, just mediocre funk jam shit with no melody or song structure.

Their only competent musician left and even when they had him the melodies where ruined with some awful lyrics and singing.
they are only good if you are a teenager

Only exception is on BTW because John wrote a lot of the lyrics. I can't imagine Anthony coming up with Throw Away Your Television.

>been a fan since forever
>saw them headline a festival in 2013, it wasnt bad but it was mostly just the hits
>they toured the country i live in at the start of the year
>decide to just buy tickets to one of their shows
>tfw end up seeing them in almost every city

they play a completely different set (almost) every night so i dont regret a thing. was a fun experience since ive never followed a band around like that before. but yeah even though im a pretty big fan id say that they are a little overrated, particularly californication, that album is horribly overrated fucking hell

everyone seems to rip on them about stadium arcadium but tend to forget that it was pretty much johns album. it still has a lot of great songs on it though

>me and my friend heard about the vinyl mix being completely different to the cd for stadium arcadium
>go look for it online, mfw its expensive as fuck since its a boxset
>finally find a copy each from 2 different online stores
>his turns up a month after mine
>tfw he has LP1, 2 and 2 LP4s

that was almost 7 years ago. hes still fucked off about it to this day

Attached: 1528322459567.jpg (500x507, 64K)

im starting to think theres this one anti-dave poster on this board, i keep seeing all of these strange nirvana era conspiracies surrounding him in each thread

Attached: 1453467313002.jpg (550x343, 19K)

They're ok. They're only overrated by people who aren't really that much into music, but they're good and their prase is deserved

John was by far the best part of the band, but every member had their moments and shone through on some songs. Stadium Arcadium is underrated, it may have a lot of duds on it but that's par for the course with RHCP and the highlights are up there with BSSM and Californication as their best
agree

>Anthony seemed bored as fuck a lot of shows

ive heard this as well, not sure if it had something to do with the material being played or he was going through some shit. i didnt see them on this tour but had friends who did and they said the same thing

They have Frush a platform for a pretty solid back catalogue of solo work so I’ll respect them for that. Beyond BSSM and their live jams I struggle to care for them

i went to their concert in 2013 as well and I was happy as fuck they played I could have lied, under the bridge and If you have to ask. Flea's funky ass bass was orgasmic in the latter.
But I don't think they are overrated, at least I don't see many people praising it exaggeratedly, I believe every record has at least a couple tracks that can be saved.
I don't think SA is bad either, I believe their peaks were BSSM and SA. The former extremely funky (nasty is a light word thinking about sir psycho's bassline with envelope filter) and they were at their best, the right amount of technical skills, creativity, musicality and maturity. The latter, Frusciante himself said everyone was at their best and that it was the best thing he ever did with a guitar.
May not be a perfect album but by today's pop standard SA is a masterpiece. They really came into their own, comercially and artistically.