AMERICANS ONLY: Do you know this song?

youtube.com/watch?v=TDe1DqxwJoc

strawpoll.me/17873699

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 6.30.07 PM.png (351x271, 144K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CLMaZR2ig34
youtube.com/watch?v=thBDnxfj75g
youtube.com/watch?v=mPc2plEHrHA
strawpoll.me/17874155
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

You're not me mum

yes

Yes

Attached: Screen-Shot-2018-10-02-at-20.25.42.png (1262x1354, 2M)

I'm not american but I answered it anyway

Attached: ultimate devillish.gif (425x481, 1.51M)

WTF

Not gonna do your shitty poll but yes

I saw them on the US Be Here Now tour.

>I saw them on the US Be Here Now tour.
Which gig? How big was the crowd? Were people still madferit at that point or had the hype started to deflate (I forget did they even have any hits in America off that album)?

>Which gig?
Minneapolis
>How big was the crowd?
I think it was sold out, can't remember. i don't remember it being empty. It was at a theatre.
>Were people still madferit at that point or had the hype started to deflate (I forget did they even have any hits in America off that album)?
I guess but yes, Don't Go Away was a hit over here. D'you Know What I Mean and All Around The World were played a lot. Stand By My was a minor hit.

Post your face when you realize Americans have never experienced singing along to Live Forever in their lives

Attached: 09323.png (563x721, 1.19M)

youtube.com/watch?v=CLMaZR2ig34

The one where the fire alarm went off right?
I just wasn't sure because my older brother saw them on this tour in Atlanta, but they were massively less popular by early '98 than they were when Be Here Now came out and even more than the height of Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova the year before that. They were supposed to play the Omni in 1996 in Atlanta to ~10,000+ fans (the whole venue was 20,000 capacity but many concerts just did the half-court set up) before cancelling the whole tour and when they came back in 1998, they played the 4,000 capacity Fox Theatre. He saw them again in 2000 and by that point they were playing the Tabernacle which sat 2,000 people. He didn't really like them after that too much, though neither did many people...

youtube.com/watch?v=thBDnxfj75g
>See: 42:10 you dumb twat

Last charting top 100 hit they had here was this in 2008
youtube.com/watch?v=mPc2plEHrHA

>The one where the fire alarm went off right?
Yes! That was the show I was at! Didn't know there were bootlegs of it! fuck, completely forgot about that fire alarm! At the time, I don't think many people noticed that. Not sure if we thought it was a part of the show or what. Gotta remember, they were LOUD. Like, the bass was deafeningly LOUD. One of the loudest bands I've ever seen. So I guess I sorta expected somethign like that to happen? idk.
>I just wasn't sure because my older brother saw them on this tour in Atlanta, but they were massively less popular by early '98 than they were when Be Here Now came out and even more than the height of Wonderwall and Champagne Supernova the year before that. They were supposed to play the Omni in 1996 in Atlanta to ~10,000+ fans (the whole venue was 20,000 capacity but many concerts just did the half-court set up) before cancelling the whole tour and when they came back in 1998, they played the 4,000 capacity Fox Theatre. He saw them again in 2000 and by that point they were playing the Tabernacle which sat 2,000 people. He didn't really like them after that too much, though neither did many people...
I don't know about any of that. I don't care. Just telling you what happened. Maybe Atlanta is lame and Minneapolis is cool? idk

they obviously bus in some brits for the gig

>Last charting top 100 hit they had here was this in 2008
Yes, though several of their 90s songs would have easily hit the top 100 based on radio airplay alone but couldn't because of billboard's rules about CD singles at the time.

see also: sugar ray, will smith, no doubt, etc. who had hit songs would have literally been #1 on the hot 100 for weeks (fly, men in black, don't speak, etc) based on radio play but technically never charted on the hot 100 at all because of that rule

I mean Atlanta is pretty lame, or at least at that time. By that point the biggest "rock" bands around were Matchbox 20 and Limp Bizkit and most people just listened to Shania Twain or Eminem.

Or maybe it was actually a decent popular song for some Americans at one time, no?

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 8.19.09 PM.png (366x86, 23K)

strawpoll.me/17874155

New Poll, old one broke

2019 is the YEAR we take back the board from Oasis haters. Who's with me?

Attached: when are you gonna come out..png (662x764, 220K)

blur fags btfo yet again

>By that point the biggest "rock" bands around were Matchbox 20 and Limp Bizkit
No. Not at all. This would have been a year or so before Limb Bizkit broke
Nice meme

Sorry, I meant in 2000. I had only started elementary school in 1998 so I was too young to really remember.

So is there a reason you don't want to believe someone who was actually there?

I'm not doubting you. I'm just saying, in Atlanta, from what I remember of my brother and his friends, Oasis fans were very few by the end of the decade and so I've always wondered how big they were elsewhere.

>by the end of the decade
Except the BHN Tour was in 97 and into 98. As I said, Don't Go Away got some good play here, and I also remember three other singles being played a lot. That was up to 1998, the original version of the band.

But by 2000, the band had reformed and made a new album with songs I don't recall getting much attention. I bought Standing on the Shoulder of Giants when it came out, but I was the only one I knew who had it. That album was a flop over here.

A lot changed in those two years. I hope you are not confusing 1998 with 2000.

I see. Was Be Here Now well received by fans though? I know now its pretty reviled but wasn't it initially praised by critics and stuff?

>Was Be Here Now well received by fans though?
Yeah, I *think* so but can't remember too well. I mean, I remember many many casual fins liking the singles form that album, but I can't for sure remember them having or talking about that specific album (in contrast to people generally having Morning Glory).

You have to remember that this was the pre-Napster era, where you couldn't just preview any album you wanted or even just get individual songs you wanted. You had to buy the whole album. So I think there were a lot of casual fans who didn't buy BHN but did love the singles they heard on the radio. There was buzz around it, even if not everyone had the CD.

But that was all gone two years later by the next album, right? Was it just changing tastes in popular music or what?

>But that was all gone two years later by the next album, right?
Yes. I really don't recall much buzz about the SotSoG singles. Even though the first song was in that one movie. One of the later ones where Noel sang lead had some play on MTV, but not that much iirc.

>Was it just changing tastes in popular music or what?
Yeah, what happened is literally all the created pop groups (Britney Spears & Clones, Back Street Boys, N Sync) and the nu-metal groups (Korn, Limp Bizkuit, Family Values bands) stormed the airwaves and killed ALL of those alt rock bands (because, here in the States, we didn't really perceive it specifically as Britpop; they were just a British Alt Rock band. Same with Blur). it was so weird to see this sudden and noticeable shift. It was fucking depressing.

Based
Fuck Oasis haters
Madferit till I die lads fuck Blur & Pulp

LUV OASIS
'ATE BLUR
'ATE Yea Forums
'ATE POOFS
OASIF NUMBA WUN SIMPLE AS

Attached: PA-9975934.jpg (650x751, 134K)

These threads are extremely reddit and most likely made by an Amerishart.

That doesn't happen really. I did see Oasis with Ryan Adams at MSG in 2008 and I don't remember exactly but the crowd was probably 1/3 or 1/4 British expats living in NYC and lots of 30 something looking barista types.

More recently, I saw the Stone Roses and Blur at MSG too, which was shocking given that neither band was ever very popular in America during their heyday but those gigs were unironically at least 50% British, 10% other ExPat, and 40% Older American indie rock fan boomers or anglophiles.

Though that was probably all down to the fact that those MSG shows were basically the only time either band had played America in well over a decade and the only time they would ever play there in the foreseeable future, so probably every hardcore British fan of their in America who couldn't make it back to the UK to see the reunion shows probably went there.

NYC =/= America

So what is it then?

A massive metropolitan international city that is comprised of every niche market and immigrant ex pat imaginable. Reminder that a cuban salsa band can sell out clubs in nyc and not draw a dime in the midwest. If you're popular throughout the smaller cities if America, then you're popular with Americans, not uber-urban cosmopolitan types.

This was actually their first college radio hit in America even before Wonderwall.

Cursed image

Actually Supersonic was. Live Forever was their first foray into the top 40 of the Hot 100 airplay chart, both alternative and mainstream rock radio, as well as the top 20 MTV weekly countdown.

In 2020 they get into the rock and roll hall of fame and Damon Albarn inducts them
Screencap this

POAURK LOIFE?
>SHHHHOOOIIITTTEEEE LLLOOOIIIFFFEEE

I mean, I agree, but also selling out MSG has long been the barometer for "making it".

Though, I never claimed blur and the stone roses were well known in america at all, because most of the attendees were brits. Oasis were mainly an East Coast/West Coast phenomenon, but could still draw decent fans in the midwest cities too. But no, I wouldn't say they're really "popular" with Americans either. For the most part they're remembered as a brief pop culture moment/tabloid fodder from a certain era with a couple of songs that people don't mind hearing now and again.

Yes