Steve Albini on Jazz

>Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical "adulthood." To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside "mere" rock music. This ostentatious display of "sophistication" is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call "jazz." There must be. I've never heard it, but I grant that it is out there somewhere.

>Jazz has a non-musical parallel: Christiania, the "free" zone in Copenhagen. In Christiania, like in jazz, there is no law. People are left to their own inventions to create and act as they see fit. In Jazz, the musicians are allowed to improvise over and beside structural elements that may themselves be extemporaneous. Sounds good, doesn't it? Freedom -- sounds good.

>The reality is much bleaker. Christiania is a squalid, trashy string of alleys with rag-and-bone men selling drugs, tie-dye and wretched food. Granted Total Freedom, and this is what they've chosen to do with it, sell hash and lentil soup? Jazz is similar. The results are so far beneath the conception that there is no English word for the dissappointment one feels when forced to confront it. Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone? Only by willfully ignoring its failings can one pretend to appreciate it as an idiom and don the cap.

Do you agree?

Attached: 1555987554558.jpg (364x630, 161K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Albini
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Granted Total Freedom, you've chosen to play II V I and blow a goddamn trill on the saxophone?
Meanwhile when Albini is granted total freedom he’s chosen to play a few power chords over a repetitive backbeat.

What a long-winded way of saying niggers are incapable of making interesting art

The first paragraph is completely true, especially in regards to Yea Forums

>lentil soup
at least it wasn't big macs

Jazz guys basically take the elitism of metal and irrelevance of flamenco music and amplify it

No.
>It is a signifier for musical "adulthood."
Definitively not: jazz is just another word for hip hop.

So basically his whole criticism boils down to:
>some people are pretentious about jazz
This is true but not a critique of the music

>jazz is like governmental anarchy
This is just asinine

>II V I’s are trite
This is true now but it wasn’t always and there is plenty of jazz that doesn’t have any II V I’s. Not to mention there’s plenty more jazz that DOES have II V I’s that I can almost guarantee that Albini would be unable to identify as such by listening.

This is like what you get if you ask a middle schooler what he thinks of jazz.

Attached: C4BE94C5-7086-4039-A105-8FDCFAAD4582.jpg (854x820, 49K)

Nice b8

Literally who? name one important thing this clown ever accomplished.

>a lot of jazz is pretentious so i'm going to write off the entire genre of music

I used to work with a guy who said stuff like this. He was a guitarist and always said jazz was easy and he could play jazz if he wanted to but that punk and metal and buttrock was better musically. So one day I asked him to play Autumn Leaves with me to show me how easy jazz was. I gave him the lead sheet and pulled up the backing track on YouTube.

>he asks me what key it’s in
>tell him Bb
>he quickly starts sounding out the Bb blues scale and pentatonic pattern
>I play the melody then let him play a solo
>he just aimlessly plays notes from the Bb blues scale with no real sense of rhythm or phrase and bends the notes a lot
>finishes his “solo” in the middle of the second chorus
>looks at me proudly as though he just played a blistering bebop solo and proved himself right
>mfw he actually thinks that’s what jazz is

Attached: 5151DB4E-E1CD-4C55-9A69-DF4C5D938E45.jpg (200x200, 4K)

big mac

afterwards did you laugh and say to him "you are fucking retarded" ?

Just because you haven't heard of one of the most accomplished producers who has worked on thousands of records doesn't mean he's a literal who you newfag zoomer

Wow so YOU know what jazz truly is...
So confident.
So inspiring.
So much respect.
*lol*
Jazz is just like hip hop.

big mac

You know, if it was a great composer saying this or something I could maybe take it a little bit more seriously. But when you listen to the garbage music that Albini makes and produces it becomes pretty obvious that this is just hardcore cope.

based Albini triggering Jazz elitist autists

Lol name 5 of his records that matter and if I recognize even 1 of them I'll admit I was wrong. And if I don't recognize any I'll listen to one and tell you why it never was successful

Wrong.

Attached: leepicbigmac.png (660x438, 93K)

I used to have a friend that was the exact same, thinking Jazz was just random notes thrown together. Unsurprisingly, despite being a 'great' musician, he couldn't even play a single jazz song. Retarded cunt.

I share some points.
I love jazz.
I hate how jazz freedom is confused with you can play jazz with anything and because of this
I hate how jazz people are bad and closed to the music genres and thinks of everything except for classical is for dumb people.
So, like all good things, fanbases and fake artissts fuck shit ups. but hey, like the Aristocats said, everybody wants to be a cat.

Honestly the worst is when those types of people start trying to show you "jazzy chords" and call them by the wrong name saying shit like "c minor augmented #11 like dude just call it Ab7/C fucking pseud

In this post I meant to tag

>To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap,

Attached: 1456714075351.gif (330x270, 2M)

>Atomizer
>At Action Park
>Two Nuns and a Pack Mule
>Songs About Fucking
>All of the masterpieces and misunderstood records Albini has produced from Surfer Rosa, Ys,Ocean Songs, Goat, Rid of Me, In Utero, Pod to shit like Tweez and Scratch or Stitch
dumb pleb, Albini has and will still go down in history as one of the greats

Attached: 1538084716985.gif (500x288, 1.33M)

Literally never heard of any of these albums, other than randomly referenced on this board, atomizer and songs about fucking, how many copies have they sold? How many daily plays do they get on spotfy?

le ebin sales troll

Attached: 1554650723385.gif (400x400, 71K)

Could've been a roast beef sandwich though.

how tf do you not know in utero or surfer rosa retard

Now post the Adorno meme.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Albini

In 200 years nobody will know or give a shit about any of these (not that anybody knows or cares about them now outside of this Laotian cross stitching forum) but people will still be listening to John Coltrane

have you been in a /jazz/ general? The anons there are uncharacteristically nice and welcoming to each other and to people who are just starting out in jazz and only know Kind of Blue. You are just plain wrong on this one

>sure, maybe Albini made great albums, I'm sure it's possible I just never heard them

a lot of jazz records are greater than all of albinis discography