Why does this get compared to OK Computer or Kid A? This album sucks

Why does this get compared to OK Computer or Kid A? This album sucks

Attached: 220px-In_Rainbows_Official_Cover.jpg (220x220, 33K)

faggot

>videotape
is gud song

>15 Step
>Weird Fishes
>Reckoner
>House of Cards
>Videotape

that's just for starters. it's a fucking powerhouse of an album and the B-sides are a nice bonus

Besides OKC which is passably decent, In rainbows is the only radiohead album i like.

It's a good album, not groundbreaking in the way OK or Kid were. Definitely an upgrade over HTTT.

imagine being this wrong lmao

Every Radiohead album sucks.

r e t a r d

what an embarrasing post

okc, kid a, amnesiac and even hail to the thief were all experimental and interesting, this is just boring "melodic" music, which has never been radiohead's forte

It's their most accessible, combining the lessons they learned post-OKC with more down to earth, relatable songwriting and lyricism a la Bends. Personally, I prefer the neuroticism tilt they were on from OKC to HTTT, as well as find AMSP a better version of IR with its more ambient progressions and denser textures. But for pure pop pleasure, Radiohead never did it better than on IR.

Amnesiac is their only album that really teeters into avant-garde territory and ONLY on cuts like Pulk/Pull and Like Spinning Plates. They're really not that experimental of a band at all, just a bit left field by pop standards.

finally a good response, was trying to figure out what i didnt like about this album, thank you

>not like melody
The mark of pseud.

>Radiohead: *Is a pop rock band*
>OP: "Melody is not their forte"
this has to be bait

>Radiohead is a pop rock band
lol go listen to a real pop rock band like weezer or nirvana and tell me if the two sound even remotely similar.

I love Radiohead, but anyone who has listened to more than 100 albums in their time knows they are pop

Nirvana and weezer are garage rock which is a subgenre of pop rock

>Nirvana

>Pop rock

Bro what

Go listen to lithium

Not all music fits neatly into one genre. In fact, genres are completely arbitrary and my definition of a certain genre could be completely different from yours. Radiohead's music is often very experimental and not focused heavily around a chorus, so I would generally not consider them a pop band.

How dare you insult the greatest album ever made.

Not that user but on the complete flipside Radiohead has shown time and again that they know how to write a good pop tune. Fake Plastic Trees? No Surprises? Knives Out? There There? 15 Step? Lotus Flower? Burn The Witch? Even Kid A, which had no formal singles and is considered one of their artsier records, still had a few good pop candidates like How To Disappear Completely, Optimistic and Idioteque. Radiohead absolutely understands pop and can pull it off just fine.

i agree desu never understood the hype behind this album. just sounds like kinda generic/boring alt rock

this and also vanilla indie rock was big in the late 00s

faust arp sucks dicks

Your brain cells are separating like ripples in a blank shore

Because Kid A sucks too.

No idea. I think it's just because it's accessible.
Yeah, every Radiohead album has a list of tracks that are really great, but you mean to tell me those tracks stack up to the best of OKC or Kid A? Or even Hail to the Thief or King of Limbs?

Even Videotapte for example. It's a good track, but it's one of their worst closing tracks. Compare it to
>Tourist
>MPS
>Life in a Glasshouse
>Wolf at the Door
>Seperator
and it just pales in comparison.

>Definitely an upgrade over their best album
Lol no
>2+2=5
>Sit Down Stand Up
>Backdrifts
>Go To Sleep
>Where I End and You Begin
>The Gloaming
>There There
>A Punchup at a Wedding
>Myxomatosis
>Scatterbrain
>Wolf at the Door
Oh look, 11 tracks that can easily outmatch every single one on In Rainbows, and the other three are still pretty great.

Attached: 220px-Radiohead_-_Hail_to_the_Thief_-_album_cover.jpg (220x220, 33K)

(not the same guy) They're great, but everything at the album sounds pretty disconnected from each other, unlike In Rainbows, also, yeah, In rainbows is still better

>In Rainbows is still better
It really isn't.
Faust Arp is actually shit with overwrought strings that 90s Johnny would've criticized for being too Eleanor Rigby.
Videotape is just okay, the syncopation is grating on repeat listens. It works well live though.
15 Step is more interesting in concept than in execution, and between it and 2+2=5, the latter wins as the cooler 5/4 song.

Hail to the Thief has no song I would consider throwaway or poorly executed, which across 14 tracks is even more impressive.

you suck bitch

Attached: 75F1BCAD-EAE2-4CEB-BF17-80DF967F89FB.png (325x300, 87K)

I mean that when you listen to the full album of HTTF the songs don't transition well because they aren't that consistent, don't take in count the next song in the album and feel generally disconnected.
The only consistency in HTTT is that the first song and the last are the best ones in the album

>Hail to the Thief
>no song I would consider throwaway or poorly executed
>We Suck Young Blood and I Will

HTTT is good but the message gets very played out after There, There. House of Cards is better than anything on that album.

I'm this guy and I have to say that I will it's a real fine song, but I agree We suck young blood it's really poorly executed and also would add the gloaming into the mix

>the songs don't transition well because they aren't that consistent
Again I disagree. None of the transitions are remotely jarring. The worst one is maybe Go To Sleep into Where I End. In Rainbows on the other hand flows much worse. Nude makes no sense between the ridiculous energy of Bodysnatchers and the build up of Weird Fishes (yes, I get it's supposed to be a break between two high energy songs, but it's like putting the brakes on a speeding train, it doesn't work). Faust Arp into Reckoner also makes no sense, and Jigsaw into Videotape suffers the same problem as Bodysnatchers into Nude.
Neither of those are throwaway. Weaker tracks sure but I'll take I Will over Faust Arp and WSYB over half of what's on IR.
>the message gets played out
what's the message in your opinion?

Well I think the message of HTTT is pretty clear. Abusive political authority and the paranoia it brings. I Will to me is kind of a useless song because it basically has the same meaning as (and was executed better on) Sail to the Moon. We Suck Young Blood just comes across as boring and thrown together last minute. Myxomatosis and Scatterbrain should've been B-sides or something. Nothing feels remotely out of place on In Rainbows. At least not to me. Kind of a subjective taste argument.

Gonna throw my hat into the ring over HTTT since it's my favorite Radiohead album. The only songs I'd consider taking out are Punchup and I Will, and honestly I still find those to be 7/10 songs. The album lacks stylistic coherency, it plays like a career retrospective for sure, but where it all comes together is how unrepentently bleak the songs are. It's an album of consistent mood, not songcraft. It's like being caught in a dystopian nightmare where everyone has given up on the notion of things ever getting better for an hour, and EVERY song feeds into this idea. Sail To The Moon is the one faint glimmer of optimism but otherwise the album's probably their biggest mopefest, even AMSP has sunnier moments like Desert Island Disk and Present Tense. No such cases on HTTT. Oh, and There There's the best song, you know.

>Abusive political authority and the paranoia it brings
Wrong, the meaning of HTTT is the crippling fear one has over the impact of abusive political authority on future generations. It's about having a kid and realizing the world they're growing up in is in many ways a worse one, and the fear that the world they inherit may not exist soon. The album pulls this theme together in many different spheres- war, politics, environmentalism. In fact I Will is probably the single most central song on the album in this regard, so to say it's redundant because of Sail to the Moon is just you missing the central point of the record.

It starts with 2+2=5, one of the most fast paced songs in the album and it's just before sit down, stand up, one that is a lot different in tone and pace, and next is sail to the moon which is a pretty calm song.
Meanwhile, in rainbows has 15 steps, a song that's pretty catchy and starts the album pretty well, then bodysnatchers has about the same groove but it's a little bit more intense, and it ends in a blast, and that's when nude enters, it relieves the intensity that the first two songs had, and advances with that in mind.

Also yeah, arguing here is pretty hard since I consider HTTT pretty underrated and Where I End And You Begin enters into my top 5 best radiohead songs

>Where I End And You Begin enters into my top 5 best radiohead songs
It's my #2 behind Bloom

Agreed. It's literally their worst record. Nothing but boring, overproduced buttrock tunes (except 15 Step. 15 Step is okay).

You're crazy if you think HTTT doesn't have literally perfect flow up until Go To Sleep. The abrupt stop of 2+2=5 segues perfectly into the motorik staccato electronic percussion of Sit Down Stand Up, which ends in a chaotic mess that leaves room for the piano of Sail to the Moon to breathe. Then when that fizzles, Backdrifts quietly bubbles underneath and slowly morphs into a gorgeous groove. By the time the acoustic guitar comes on Go To Sleep you've already been taken on a journey and finally you've got a bit of grounding again.

As I've said, I don't think the transition from Go To Sleep to Where I End is as particularly smooth, but it's not terrible either. I never understood the argument that HTTT lacks cohesion- for me it flows better track to track than Kid A and almost rivals OK Computer in that regard.

Ngl you'd be kind of based if you didn't put bloom that high, I think TKOL it's pretty absurd imo

Based, I don't like TKOL but bloom's one of the better songs out of there

I think IR's a bit overrated myself but aside from maybe Bodysnatchers I don't know what could possibly pass for buttrock on this album, and even then it still adheres well enough to the album's general existentialist themes.

Because it was a lot of millennials first "real" album [via being free] so it's got a large audience of people who weren't actually Radiohead fans when it came out and love it.

It's an OK album. It's a bottom half of the Radiohead discography album but probably the best out of the last 3.

>probably the best out of the last 3

I think AMSP blows it out of the water personally. They really stepped their game up compositionally and texturally on that one, some of the most pinpoint instrumental cut-ins and graceful walls of sound they've ever put together are on that album. It's like they took Weird Fishes and made an entire album with that as the starting point, and that's IR's best song.

Videotape is a better track than everything you named everything except Life in a Glasshouse .

Videotape has GOAT lyrics as a closer but even the band has admitted that they didn't quite know how to compose it on record, hence why it's so sparse and janky.

Wasn't it floating around as a live track before it was committed to record? I could be thinking another song, though. Also, I don't really find it janky at all desu. Sparse, sure; I feel that adds to its appeal, in fact. But, again, I don't really see it as particularly clumsy.