What's the point of buying an album on vinyl? Is there any difference with it compared to digital or CD?

What's the point of buying an album on vinyl? Is there any difference with it compared to digital or CD?

Attached: 1555710329380.png (974x548, 606K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_(album)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There is a difference. It sounds worse. Only hipsters buy vinyl.

Buying any album made after the mid 80s on Vinyl is a symptom of autism.

Probably tylo be chillin

I can't believe this is a real question. But yes. Huge difference. With the right set-up the quality of audio is far higher than anything else (excluding flac)

Also it feels good having physical quality media of your favourites when streaming is so widespread. It's definitely not something to get into if you're poor but the difference is definitely there.

To hang on your wall and pretend to have taste
CD niggaz rize up

> the quality of audio is far higher than anything else
OH NONONONONO

>With the right set-up the quality of audio is far higher than anything else (excluding flac)
You do know that .flac is a file format, kind of like how Vinyl is a material used as a storage medium, right?

Vinyls are just nostalgia fueled meme, with far lower audio quality than CDs that gets even worst after time because of degradation of the grooves. the only thing I'm grateul about vinyls is that it came to lower the price of CDs.
by the way most of these days vinyls releases come from a digital master. so there goes your "analog" bullshit down the toilet.

>neo-Yea Forums AKA zoomer-Yea Forums hates vinyl because le epic contrariarism xDDDD le CD is better guys XDDD
fuck this please is even worse than reddit at this point

We've gone through the talking points on why CD is a far better format for listening to music multiple times on this board. It's easier just to make fun of the retards now.

Contrarianism? For a fucking physical music format? Jeez you're retarded. If people wanted to be contrarians in that way, they'd listen to casettes. Pretty embarassing post, man.

Attached: 1550377741000.jpg (429x570, 35K)

its a bit of a meme, but a good meme. it's a great physical format (large cover art, usually nice attention to detail w/ extra artwork, lyrics, etc.) and yeah, if you have a quality pressing the sound quality is quite noticeably better. If you want to collect vinyl you have to except that maintaining the quality of ur records is a bit of a pain in the ass and that sometimes a pressing is just shit and wont sound too good

This is the kind of bulshit that make my corneas tickle the back of my head...

stay mad

It's comfy. Do you like comfy things? If you grind your own coffee, have lots of plants in your home, like staying in and listening to music when it's raining, you'll probably like vinyls. They have more personality than files on your computer, but you can listen to whatever you want

why CD's over digital?

It gives a certain timbrel quality but you need an expensive HiFi system to really notice anything if you even can

why CD's over digital i dont get it

please explain how that's wrong

Both. CD for albums I care about enough to want to own, digital otherwise

I'd have to imagine that if you're keen on buying physical copies of your favorite albums, it's better to buy CD's over vinyl considering how you can use the former on a computer, console, a car, even a portable player. Compared to vinyl which you can only use on a record player at home. CD's are also cheaper too.

no matter how much you clean an LP it will always have those pops and crackles. some people even find it amusing. I just found it unbearable.

>and yeah, if you have a quality pressing the sound quality is quite noticeably better.
This meme really needs to die. Compact Disc is a far greater storage medium than Vinyl plastic is. If you care about sound quality then there's no question that properly mastered CDs are the way to go.

Bump

this. The only things I buy on vinyl are prog & art rock from the 70s/80s. Pointless for anything else.

Another day, another “lol vinyl” cope thread. Keep in mind that 80% or more of Yea Forums are teens working retail who can’t afford luxuries like physical media or records.

SNAP! CRACKLE! POP!

If you dont have 5k dollar equipment and clean each LP weekly it'll sound like ass. Crackling and popping and scratching but hey, its hip

Attached: 1413758475679.jpg (2322x4128, 2.01M)

I'm a huge fucking loser, but I'm at least not that guy.

it's just because its cheaper and makes sense. buying a digital master on an analog format is stupid. the only things i buy on vinyl are analog mastered albums

You're two steps away from it. It's okay if you want to prefer Vinyl to other mediums but for the act of listening to music it's limited compared to Compact Disc.

Vinyl is just mastered better

When ZOG sends the EMP we'll have our legacy.

That's like me saying "car is just mastered better". There's a human element to the mastering process.

wat. I don't give a shit about vinyl or anything. I was just commenting on the picture.

it's good for having a moment with music in a chill familiar setting. I prefer cassette and digital for longevity and portability.

>better to buy CD's over vinyl considering how you can use the former on a computer, console, a car, even a portable player
Most new records come with high quality downloads. (And if you're buying used, pirate)
You can have all the good of he vinyl and then burn a CD for whatever for less than 2 cents

I unironically like the ritual involved with putting on a vinyl record, and like perusing the goodies in the sleeve.

Most vinyls these days also come with MP3 and FLACs, so you can view it as buying a digital copy and getting a free vinyl record.

even if its pointless in terms of audio quality (which some who know more about this would argue it isn't,) vinyl is a collectors hobby. people will shit all over vinyl collectors but it's no different than people who collect state quarters or baseball cards. plus, vinyl helps you support the artists more directly, and lots of records come with extra goodies that make them fun to collect.

Attached: wgimxlypchy11.jpg (976x741, 88K)

Attached: sniff varg sniff.jpg (974x548, 222K)

The point is that you can show chicks your record collection

This and only this.

retard kys

based

I never shit on collectors. I respect that, whats really cringy is when they come with the "superior audio quality" bullshit because they religiously believe a vinyl even a digitally mastered one will "sound better" than the digital source itself.

Can any of you even tell the difference?

it does sound better than anything except completely uncompressed flac (try finding that, fagolas) and Blu-ray audio and anyone who says otherwise is a NOISE LEVEL AUTIST.

*vinyls*
He knows what he's talking about. Listen to him

It looks good in my shelf

I mean if it's a super high res file they're using then it's better than buying a CD. Vinyl requires very specific mastering or whatever and the lack of compression is very much audible.

>I mean if it's a super high res file they're using then it's better than buying a CD.
No, Compact Discs are a superior storage medium to Vinyl plastic for music. It's up to the person who's in charge of mastering how good or bad it's going to sound.

id love to see CD fanboys make a profit off their collection

the best bit is to buy bandcamp vinyl and immediately watch the prices rise on discogs

bout to cash out $100 profit on both TV Girl and George Clanton

I like it for the ritual of playing physical media. The player also adds a nice touch to the living room and is a nice conversation piece. Plus putting a record on and sitting down to dinner kinda brings everyone together. Vinyl has a real personal touch that cds and streams just cant match.

>id love to see CD fanboys make a profit off their collection
I only care about listening to music at it's highest quality. I still have CDs from the 80s that smell like they're straight off the press and have zero disc rot.

But i'm talking sound not storage. Keep up.
you cant put 24/96 files on a CD. They too fuckin big

Neither can a Vinyl, my friend. CD > Vinyl. "Analog" doesn't mean "LIMITLESS STORAGE".

This thread again?

>Why buy LPs?

Truth is the best master of more albums than you can count is still the LP version. So many CD "remasters" are absolute shit, compressed to hell.

No one said limitless.
Explain to me how a CD is better than 24/96 sourced vinyl

It's up to the person doing the mastering from an original source. Do you think that they ever recorded directly to Vinyl from the studio?

Exactly
Was just comparing that Grizzly Bear album from 2012 on vinyl with the CD and the compression on the louder passages was staggering.

easiest way to fuck art hoes for my cope

To piss your favourite band off by making them sign the opening band's vinyl because fuck dropping $40 on two pieces of plastic I'll never listen to, I only wanted a souvenir

Attached: 1545610017790.jpg (540x651, 79K)

Just because you're mentally deficient I'm just going to repeat it once more: Compact Discs are a superior storage medium than Vinyl. There's no disputing this.

Attached: 1462931086985.jpg (640x640, 107K)

Of course I dont think that. If we're talking ammount of detail retained vinyl will win. I'm working under the assumption that the vinyl and cd are mastered appropriately

I buy it to enjoy having a physical version of music I like, and enjoying things you wouldn't otherwise listening to it digitally. Things like the gatefold, liner notes, artwork, even some extras like posters for example. It also helps out the artist a whole lot more financially due to spotify and other platforms taking a large cut of the money.

Its solely for collection sake, like most physical media. I prefer vinyl because they sometimes come with extra goodies and the cover art is much more impressive at that size.

That's debatable. Every storage medium has pros and cons. I'm not interested in discussing those. I'm interested in the quality of music. Let's get on the same page here dude

For some albums, the mixing and mastering is entirely different than their digital counterparts. For older albums, the mixing tends to be different from their modern issues.

I like the collection aspect of it, plus it's fun to talk to people at record stores and meet new people and discover music you might not have

Don't vinyls cost like $30-40 dollars each? That's a big differemce from buying the same album for like $10 on iTunes or Google Play.

More like $18-28 for new releases

>cover art is much more impressive at that size.
This is the only somehow valid reason. And I stress the word "somehow" because I'm not really sure if it justify the way higher price.

It's not debatable, you're on the internet so use Google you uneducated ape.

Source?

It's big.
Comes with extras.
Good sound quality (though most people with vinyl collections have shitty sound systems)
If you take care of them they last forever (but taking care of them is a pain in the ass).

Vinyls are pure autism, but there's a logic to it.

Also
>Digital
>Depending on (((computers))) to handle all your music for you.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 13K)

analogic > digital
just like
books > e-readers
as anons said, when you love something it is nice having the physical thing. Slowly building a collection is extra comfy.
And it's not THAT expensive 2bh. You can build a setup with 70's gear that have equal or even better quality than brand-new ones for 1/4 of the price.

CDs are physical

>For older albums, the mixing tends to be different from their modern issues.
yup. I have heard on my friends setup an old vinyl and a reissue. They fucked up the latter hard, the difference was very noticeably worse.

Streaming is usually 320 MP3. CDs are a lossless digital format in .wav (usually ripped into FLAC.) In most instances, it’s cheaper to go to your local record store and buy a used, yet still in good condition CD for 3-5 dollars a piece than it is to actually buy a high quality digital file for what is usually around 10 dollars. Bandcamp is the exception here, and bandcamp is also the best digital music sellers, but obviously only have a selection of mostly modern music.

When buying CDs, you do have to be careful of albums that were mastered or remastered during the “loudness war” era. As long as you keep track of that, and keep good care of your CDs, it’s the best audio format in terms of affordability without sacrificing sound quality.

(Of course eventually streaming will reach a point where you can stream flac, and then my collection will be pointless beyond fueling my consumerism desires.)

when was the loudness war

are modern Vinyls just like the old ones? have they improved in any way?

technically they are the same but see . Some modern reissues, for instance, have different characteristics, like being stronger on the higher notes or the lowest, or they fuck up the mixing and it ends up sounding bad overall...

Still pressed in the same plants
Same technology

vinyl is literally for cucks. the vinyl market will crash in the early 2020s

just my observation, original presses tend to have better treble, remastered better bass

I like vinyl, cd, digital, and cassette. Fight me.

vinyl are fine for buying anything less than 45 minutes usually

what the fuck is the point of buying Ok Computer on vinyl? gotta go through 2 vinyl for a 53 minute album

mention one example that isn't the typical Californication, Hail to the Thief, or the brickwalled Iggy mix of Raw Power

Exactly. I don’t have too many records, but they don’t fucking sound better, the appeal is having a big physical copy of something you like. It’s a collection hobby basically.

Gotta put in the work

What's your setup?

Devo’s Duty Now for the Future sounds like crap on every cd and mp3 release I’ve heard, great on vinyl

yet still there are audiophiles out there that have paid U$ 100.000,00 on speakers and that have put up a literal post in front of their house to get a 'particular' source of energy for better sound quality listen to their music through vinyl. Kind of weird to think a guy that goes through this borderline insane extreme to get as good quality quality as possible would choose to have shittier quality just for the "luxury" or "muh nice collection" aspect of having vinyl records.
(no, I didn't exaggerate in the examples)

Attached: headshell.jpg (1800x1800, 302K)

They're cheap, and the large artwork is fun to look at.

As you point it out yourself, those people are just insane. I'm sure they will connect Alexander Graham Bell original telephone and argue you that it "sounds better" .
Not sure how we went from mocking those dumbasses for buying 1000$ powercords to use them as an example

Attached: iWKad22.jpg (1440x1080, 97K)

Yes. It sounds richer, almost like you are in the room with them recording.

Ok you are literally the guy in pic

It's really interesting to listen to albums on vinyl that you never listened to any other way just for the necessary act of changing sides. It turns listening into a far more active activity than a passive one. You don't put records on in the background because you will just be getting up and switching sides and swapping records and whatnot. No, with a record you just sit and listen and it's a whole different experience.

just because they spend a lot of fucking money doesn't mean the sound they are insane and/or know jackshit what they are buying. You can't just say "they are insane therefore the sound is still shit regardless of their prices". You don't even know what gear they are using and here you are saying it is shit simply because they are "insane".
They are fucking nerds and I bet my hairy tight white asshole they know about audio much more than you do

you never sit down and just listen to music sometimes? yikes my guy

It makes me happy. Ok?

I thought I did, but you always "zone out" if you don't actually have to physically operate the music player at some point other than beginning and end of album.

I'd say it started in 1994 and is still going on today

/thread
some people spend money on useless shit for their car
some people spend a lot of money on instruments and related gear
some people spend a lot of money on 'fashionable' clothes and accessories
some people spend a lot of money for computer parts to play games.
Having a nice record-player setup and a bunch of vinyl of records you love is just another useless hobby that seems retarded for those who don't appreciate but that is extremely meaningful, fun and deep for us.

Attached: favorite things.jpg (1080x1920, 315K)

In my opinion the experience of the music is the only thing that matters. Vinyl may be of worse quality, but it doesn't hinder my listening experience. I like touching the art, watching it spin, reading liner notes, etc. Colored vinyl is pretty cool too. I have a library of flacs for archiving purposes that I listen to frequently, but when I just want to sit down and listen, I put on a record.

It started in the late 40s on the Vinyl format. All of this information is available on the internet.

Underrated

>completely uncompressed flac
why would you want a flac to be uncompressed? just use wav then

i do it more for the novelty collecting

Seems like it was only for 45s. Not really to the same extent as the 90s-now

why does anyone do anything

Also, "Because of the limitations of the vinyl format, the ability to manipulate loudness was also limited. Attempts to achieve extreme loudness could render the medium unplayable. Digital media such as CDs remove these restrictions and as a result, increasing loudness levels have been a more severe issue in the CD era"

That's the rub though...a lot of classic (read: old ass) music is mastered like crap on CD. I'll take my contemporary pressings of things like ESP Disk and mono only releases over any CD re-releases I've heard. But, largely, the actual difference in quality between an equally competently mastered CD and LP is minimal if you have the right gear.

I only buy old records or new releases on vinyl, avoid almost all remasters as they're cheaply made to cash in on the "fad" element.

>Digital media such as CDs remove these restrictions
Maybe if you're deaf.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Californication_(album)
Clipping isn't exclusive to either analog or digital.

You dont get it, cds are much more tolerant of shitty mastering. With vinyl if you make mistakes the needle will literally jump out of the groove. It takes more care to make it sound right.

Mars Volta

My friend's dad gave me a massive collection of records so I feel like it's time I try this shit out. Is one of those audio-technica turntables that's like $150 on amazon a good place to start? My parents might give me one of theirs. Then all I have to do is figure out getting a pre-amp and speakers and stuff. Fun.
Not to mention taking care of a collection, which is something I know nothing about.

Attached: shiggy diggy.jpg (600x369, 53K)

Ahhh yeah, CD master race checking in

Attached: 7.gif (400x300, 137K)

I'm sure that they're the type of people who buy Monster branded HDMI cables. Let them roll around in the dirt.

The audiotechnica lp-120 is a common starter one. It's more than you wrote but I think it has a built in pre amp. Check local craigslist too

Digital formats also degrade over time. Vinyl will retain the sound forever if you keep it right

It's not even funny at this point.

have you ever tried to put a cd on your wall

You can do the same with digital music. Just make a music player where you have to solve a captcha after every 5 songs or so to progress through the album, if you're unable to stay focused for 40 minutes.