Late Millennials (born early-mid 90s) miss the 1998-2004 music era from childhood

Late Millennials (born early-mid 90s) miss the 1998-2004 music era from childhood.

Early Zoomers (born late 90s-early 00s) miss the 2008-2014 music era from childhood.

Which one is better/worse/less painful?

Attached: 1528222016582.jpg (480x360, 65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aCgkLICTskQ
youtube.com/watch?v=B49kF3W4ouY&fbclid=IwAR3tPb3UL89Ys8yT8XfM6Ctayfn8nw9KKa3dCMr7-6F55Ukb1JEOq2OXBkA
youtube.com/playlist?list=RD9EcMH1FTOx0
youtu.be/Z3Oux1lN__4?t=21
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

2008-2014 was a really really bad time for radio music, I probably wouldn't have started listening to albums if it wasn't so bad.

Nobody needs to relive music from 1998 to 2004. Nobody. Even when I was 14 I found the stuff painful to listen to.

Neat, another lebornintheronggeneration special snowflake who thought he was cool and uber-tasteful by listening to the Doors instead of A7X like normal early 00s teens.

This is the shit I grew up with and I think it's disgusting now, if you like more than 5 albums of this collection, fuck you

Attached: topsters2 (3).png (1452x1452, 691K)

RHCP and Green Day are ok, the rest can go in the trash.

Both are shit

Nostalgia for pop culture is such a shitty thing but it’s becoming more and more prevalent. Now we have Gen X / early millennials controlling the media we’re faced with waves of abhorrent references to dreadful 80s TV and music, and I’m sure the same thing will happen with the 90s and 00s. It was all shit. The only period in popular music I can understand being nostalgic about is the explosion of the late 60s, where pop culture, zeitgeist and the forefront of art converged for the first and only time resulting in the most radical and creative years in the history of music.

I hated the boring song structures and lack of solos and the brickwall compression in rock of that time. No wonder rock faded from the mainstream. It deserved to die if it ended up giving us Nickelback and Nine Days.

this honestly. I remember going from mostly alt stuff to basically giving up on rock radio around 2002 it was so horrible, and then giving up on pop and hip-hop radio around 2006 for my iPod anyway because that turned to shit too.

Norah Jones and White Stripes were showered with awards and critical praise, maybe more than they actually deserved, simply because mainstream music was so dire that they came almost as a relief.

I grant you, Disturbed never made anything as good as Light My Fire.

>Nickelback
>Nelly
>Nine Days
>Fiddy
>Usher
>A7X
>Disturbed
>Drowning Pool
>Five For Fighting
>Three Doors Down
>Simple Plan
>Staind

That entire era of music makes you want to cry.

2004-2007 was peak music for my tastes, 2009-2012 was horrible, 2013-present isn't bad

Hey 50 Cent was good. They were like the end credits to the old school, immediately before shit like Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy came out.

Lil Wayne was popular before 50 was

>Like the majority of that list, especially the four on the top right
fuck.

I only really listen to shit from ~1999-2009 on a regular basis

>Rise Against
>Kings of Leon
>The Offspring
>Soulja Boy
>Black Eyed Peas
>Foo Fighters
>Finger Eleven
>The Frey
>Coldplay
>Sellout Weezer
>Fall out Boy
>Good Charlotte
>AFI
>Alien Ant Farm
>Eminem
>Slipknot
>Muse
>Godsmack
>Evanescence

Not even scratching the surface

Really. His first album was in 99 and Fiddy didn't break until 03.

But wayne wasn't popular till like 2008 when carter 3 came out

Forgot Pink.

Soulja Boy wasn't part of the 1998-2004 era

Only Eminem fans believe this

Attached: 220px-HotBoysGuerrillaWarfare.jpg (220x220, 18K)

I will reiterate. Rock deserved to die if it ended up giving us this stuff.

>it’s becoming more and more prevalent
It's not becoming more prevalent you moron, feeling nostalgic for your childhood is a natural part of growing up.

Nice hipster thread by the way.

JEW is pretty good but everything else is violently shity

what happened to the 2005-2007 era of music from childhood? did those years just vanish off the calendar or something? i would classify myself as an early zoomer (born dec. '97), this was my favorite album back then, it came out in 2006. i knew most of the songs from runescape music videos.
overall i would say the late zoomer music in general was less awful because, while the obama-era "world pop" shit of the late '00's was really bland, nu metal and pop punk are unredeemably cringey garbage.

Attached: 51k8rdqFXBL._SY355_[1].jpg (355x355, 22K)

Who misses music from the years they were in elementary school? I'm a "late millenial" but I get nostalgic about stuff I listened to in high school (2010-2012)

Pop culture nostalgia is being shoved down our throats by the media more and more every year. What we are being fed is different from natural nostalgia for childhood; it is a commercial mutation of it.

The early 2000's were comfy. Not saying they were one of the best music eras but at least pop songs still were a little less generic than the current pop songs.

Hip hop beats around that time sounded more creative to me since the pop music was very influenced by r&b and soul.
When trap beats appeared in the 2010's it took everything. The triplet flow and the trap beats made rap sound so bland and repetitive.

*sips*

Now '88-'94, that was a good era.

Attached: thatsomethingsomething-bbq.png (300x258, 68K)

>Early Zoomers (born late 90s-early 00s) miss the 2008-2014 music era from childhood.

1997 here, fuck you. I am not nostalgic about the late 2000's and early 10's when it comes to music, not one bit. What makes me so different from someone born in 1996?

Lil Wayne was in a "rap boy band" before that, called The Hot Boys.

Honestly, the only interesting trap music is mixed with or influenced by something else. Kinda hate the fact that it absorbed cloud rap, but if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't get Bones to listen to.

No joke, when I was a kid, I listened to the all american rejects solely because one of their songs was in a bionicle commercial. That band's some shit I don't want to remember.

I'm 97 but thought early 2000s media was better

I would say 2005-2008 was pretty bad with all of the scene bullshit. Even some good music did come out of it, just looking back on it makes me cringe.

It's funny, I'm early '97 here (February, somehow I'm one of the few people in my birth year that remembers 9/11), and I'm not so hard on nu-metal and pop punk myself. There were certainly horrible acts out there, but not all of it was trash. I'd argue that there's more to like from those two than from a certain era that I absolutely hated in hip hop, snap and crunk music. Seriously, snap was fucking terrible.

I actually have a question for you, do you remember how music trends that were dying tended to trickle down and still seem alive in middle school? I didn't know that nu-metal was dead by 2008, or that emo (and by emo, I mean emo pop punk and "mall screamo") was about to fade away, and was being violently replaced by scene kid music.

Yeah, with the exception of a few songs, post-grunge and the "adult contemporary" age of alternative rock in the 2000's was garbage. And let's not forget that Maroon 5 came around at this time.

>2006 for hip hop

No wonder Nas, the boomer of rap, said that hip hop was dead back then. Seriously, the ringtone rap era had absolutely nothing good in it at all. People who hate trap music shit on today's music all the time, but are nostalgic for that era, are the fucking worst.

Move along move along just to make it through

Lmao did your Teenage years were really that bad?

late '96 here and I really miss the 00s music

>did your Teenage years were really that bad?

Its very weird because i was thinking about how culture forms like this in a very autstic way yesterday. Sort of thinking that it made sense that kids born in the early 90's who grew up as kids in the late 90's and early 2000s and were bombarded with electronic and nu metal and anime would go on to make Dubstep and vaporwave in the 2010s.

Or that kids born in the late 90's whose childhood was most likely my chemical romance and emo in the mid to late 2000's and early 2010s alt rap like odd future would go on to produce shit like lil peep.

It really makes me think what awful shit the kids born in the early 2000s are going to produce in the next decade

Attached: 1486755180001.jpg (657x527, 38K)

I was born in 91. My musical childhood was basically at the tail end of MTV still showing music videos and the beginning of music piracy.
I thought nirvana was the coolest and it fucking sucked that i missed that. Nu metal, post grunge, ska, teen pop shit like britney spears, was the most popular music. Also rap was in really weird place, i think it was after biggy died and rap was like nothing but p diddy and that one song that was like MAKE THEM SAY UHHHHHHH na na na. lmao. The late 90's was also the first big push of electronic music, moby, daft punk, crystel method, chemical brothers, aphex twin, fat boy slim,etc

As i entered my tweens i got really into hardcore and classic punk of the past. But at the same time the mainstream music must kids my age listened to were like linken park, daft punk, gorlliaz, foo fighters, radiohead.
Radiohead peaked in the late 90's and early 2000's. ok computer, Kid a, amnesiac.

The only thing i can retrospectively say about the early 2000s was that there was very little to no social media, no smart phones, no social justice warriors, no click bait, and no "im always offended all the time" mentality

Attached: that one kid2.jpg (630x647, 77K)

Nostalgia doesn't have to be an issue if you just admit that that's why you like a song. Take a objective stance and say that you like listening to it while accepting that it might not be a great song. It's also useful to know which songs can manipulate which age-groups. The easiest way to get 23-26 year old girls to dance is to play something off Songs About Jane or Kelly Clarkson or something.

Wait, what do you think is scene kid music?

American Idiot, Californication, Americana
The rest pic related

Attached: penn_jillette.jpg (300x400, 31K)

Fuck, i remember buying some of those albums, early to late 10's is an era better left forgotten desu.

Attached: 1548002305466.gif (100x100, 126K)

What the fuck is wrong with you some of these are the apex of production and songwriting. You are a blasted contrarian at the end of the day. The snare in Riot is fantastic, and Black Parade could be one of the best accessable albums ever made with the level of care put into every facet of it. Sure, American Idiot is just pop trash, but Meteora is, frankly, peak Linkin Park.

4/10

Objectivity is a meme. Whenever someone says shit along the lines of "yeah it's objectively bad, but I still like it" or "it's a guilty pleasure" I lose respect for them.

I'm being serious-- what miffs you about these albums?

Fake Indie was objectively better in 1998 - 2004 than 2008 - 2014

Make Yourself is unironically decent. Californication and Americana have their good songs, too.

feeling nostalgic for your childhood is not the same thing as feeling nostalgic for pop culture shit

I hope the kids who grew up in the 2000s know the right path is to fuse quirky late 2000s indie rock with vaporwave/citypop/lofi hip hop/auto tune (used only sparely and strategically)

Already have, a la Polyphia and Plini and other mathrock bands. But, you faggots can't stand -core.

Mall screamo/screamo pop, crunkcore like Blood on the Dance Floor, """crabcore""", that kind of stuff.

>I hope the kids who grew up in the 2000s know the right path is to fuse quirky late 2000s indie rock with vaporwave/citypop/lofi hip hop/auto tune (used only sparely and strategically)

You just described Bones, Yung Lean, and Sybyr.

Can't believe I forgot neon pop, which was basically pop punk/emo pop with synths. Remember Shake It by Metro Station?

No thats shitty rap music trying too hard to be metal.

I want arcade fire and modest mouse and MGMT making lofivaporrockcitypop

Born 97’ and am more fond of music from 04-08 than 08-14

Born in '97 and people were still bumping BOTDF? What the fuck is going on? I thought that was all 2008 as fuck. Crabcore is 2008 as fuck too.

MCR, JEW, Panic! And the Killers. Almost got me.

To me the late 2000s were that screamo scene thing. But the late 2000s were like also the rise of indie music before it imploded. Indie music did the one thing rock wasnt supposed to do, it sold out.
Imagine a world were every movie is a quirky indie movie starring michle cera and every car commercial and ipod commercial is soundtracked by feist.

Basically what im saying is the next generation of kids needs to fuse animal collective with tatsuro yamashita. They need to fuse vampire weekend with lo fi hip hop production, they need to fuse arcade fire with vaporwave, etc, etc
MGMT needs to respawn on the planet making psych rock with autotune

>Late Millennials (born early-mid 90s) miss the 1998-2004 music era from childhood.
>Early Zoomers (born late 90s-early 00s) miss the 2008-2014 music era from childhood.
>Which one is better/worse/less painful?
Xenial here

Both of them are fucking awful.

youtube.com/watch?v=aCgkLICTskQ

You're pathetic. You seem to think that you 'advance' or something with the kind of music you like. You're a complete idiot.

Was born in 93 and no I really don't miss when nu-metal was at its most popular.

Bones literally rapped over vaporwave music. Most of his output isn't even metal influenced, and that goes for Sybyr too. As for Yung Lean? Come on nigga, how?

Oh yeah dude. I guess South Florida was behind the times, but in my middle school years, between late 2008 and early 2011, that shit was still popular. It wasn't until Odd Future came around that scene kids started to fade in my area. I heard that in other parts of the country, scene kids were still around up until 2014! Isn't that crazy?

Well, as a late Millennial obviously I have more contempt for the earlier period but because I loved that stuff and it brings me embarrassment. Meanwhile, I would never even listen to zoomer music because it's too much for me so technically I might hate it more but I'm not really familiar with it and I make a point of not hating music without listening to it.

Holy shit, I never thought I could relate to someone on this. Granted, I actually got pretty into that album but it was that commercial that made me check them out.

The first 5 CDs I bought were the first Gorillaz album, the single for Move Your Feet by Junior Senior, 3l3phant by The White Stripes, Permission To Land by The Darkness and A Rush Of Blood To The Head by Coldplay so I'm going to say that even on a surface pop level 1998-2004 was better

stop being an elitist faggot, its fun to go back and listen to some of these and reminisce about your teenage years sometimes.

It's bizarre because those eras the best music was mostly just online. Radio rock absolutely blew, but there were all kinds of stuff blowing up online fueled by small venue shows/culture.

All of it is shit. Me and my niggas were blasting Debussy and Akvarium while fucking big booty slavic sluts and taking them to Museums after doing weed in the USSR.

I already posted in the other thread. But I'll just put this in simple terms. You could hear a song like "Clint Eastwood" on the radio in that era. When's the last time you heard some shit like that on a mainstream pop radio station?

>which on is better

it's not even a fucking competition dude

the music from the late 90's and early 2k set the fucking tone for societies countries l continuous millennial existential crisis and future uncertainty while 2008 to 2014 gave us a somehow worse nickelback at #1 constantly and the devolution of most genres to nigbeats

our music was prophetic and the genres and artists have grown and changed with us. where as the 08 to 14 "artists" literally release the same song multiple times (the chainsmokers for example)

I'm a little nostalgic for 2008-2010 music like Soulja Boy and early Katy Perry but not for 2011-2014 music like Gangnam Style and Carly Rae Jepsen. I'd also argue that people born in early 1997 are culturally millennial, while people born in late 1997 are culturally zoomers like those from 1998 and 1999.

t. born in mid 1997

youtube.com/watch?v=B49kF3W4ouY&fbclid=IwAR3tPb3UL89Ys8yT8XfM6Ctayfn8nw9KKa3dCMr7-6F55Ukb1JEOq2OXBkA

absolutely no regrets missing this shit

bump

I think the clinching factor is whether or not you associate your childhood more with the 2000-2005 era or the 2005-2009 era. 2000-2005 felt more millennial in terms of kid culture, while 2005-2009 felt more zoomer.

Attached: 1554425635207.png (1400x1039, 3.15M)

>ctrl+f
>zoo--
This board is dead.

I was born in 1993 and I fucking hate the 1998 - 2004 era of music. Things improved around 2007 and have only recently started to become really shit again

Boomer and zoomer are a meme now. Fucking accept and get over it.

>I'm supposed to tolerate shit being forced into my gullet

this user is right tho
t- born in 1990 am a boomer now

IDGAF, Sing the Sorrow was beautiful

youtube.com/playlist?list=RD9EcMH1FTOx0

bump

I associate myself more with the first half of the 2000's, but there were some good times in 2006 and 2007, mainly due to Avatar, Justice League Unlimited, Toonami, Code Lyoko, and the cheesy emo pop my sister used to play while scrolling Myspace. After that, it went downhill.

>he's on Yea Forums of all places and complains about forced memes

>even as a kid in the early 2000s, I was an le epic contrarian who hated Eminem and Green Day

> I associate myself more with the first half of the 2000's, but there were some good times in 2006 and 2007, mainly due to Avatar, Justice League Unlimited, Toonami, Code Lyoko,
All of those came out before 06-07. By 06-07 they were on their last legs.

Faggot

I'm a late Millenial, and the music at my work seems to have a thing for late 90s inoffensive adult contemporary. If I have to hear "She's So High" or "Soak Up the Sun" one more time... Also, it's the only place in the past 10 years I've heard All Star played unironically.

I was born in 95

>Lil Wayne
Lil Wayne wasn't popular until "Go DJ" came out and 50 Cent wasn't popular until "In Da Club" came out so 50 was popular first.

Lil Wayne wasn't popular until, like I said, Go DJ came out. Maybe he was popular where you live because you come from Louisiana or something, but where I live, he wasn't popular until Go DJ came out.

>workplace is going to play Top 40 instead of Meshugga
Surprised much?

Nah, the most popular stuff from that time was either Max Martin stuff or Rihanna singles, both of which actively strayed from cliche keys/chord choices while Rihanna's music had that modern take on old school dancehall music. There's also stuff like Beyonce's Single Ladies which somehow makes a bunch of notes not necessarily in the same scale work together, and also Beyonce's Countdown (I think it's this song) that has the counterpoint in it.

The Laffy Taffy song and It's Going Down were the worst hip hop songs of all time. That time period was bad for hip hop.

THE YEARS KEEP COMING AND THEY DON'T STOP COMING

Snap rap should never come back.

I really can't hate 50 Cent, when he had songs like this. I miss this mellow sound and R&B-esque production. Granted this general sound oversaturated the market just like the rattling hi-hat trap shit does it today.
youtu.be/Z3Oux1lN__4?t=21

I did regret actually buying The Massacre at the time for a few tracks for a while, but I was a kid so whatever. In retrospect though it's really not that shameful of a purchase. The beats are really unique and so good.