What are some bands (or musical acts in general) whose legacy would have been better off had they stopped releasing...

What are some bands (or musical acts in general) whose legacy would have been better off had they stopped releasing stuff after a certain point? Pic related, they'd probably be viewed as mythical today had they split up just before the 90s hit.

Attached: Webp.net-resizeimage-2-920x584.jpg (920x584, 92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo
youtube.com/watch?v=EFqjDXy9s5A
youtu.be/r-kAnNgqN9o
youtube.com/watch?v=zOCHwRz1hRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

literally don't care. going to see them this summer, camping with some friends. Hyped as a motherfucker

jelly?

Would've been viewed as a god tier 90's power pop band that released two classic albums and then disbanded

Attached: rs-234611-WEEZER-general-1-Emily-Shur-HR.jpg (2650x1767, 1.08M)

Nope.

Nah, regardless of what you think, they are still basically the biggest most legendary metal band in the world. Every time they drop a new album it's basically an event. They could make an album full of farts calling it experimental and it would make headlines.

Elvis

>They could make an album full of farts
Well, that's what their newer shit might as well be desu.

youtube.com/watch?v=m46Z0-HXySo
youtube.com/watch?v=EFqjDXy9s5A

You think these aren't good? It's literally impossible for a bunch of guys in their 50s to recapture whatever vision they had when they were in their 20s, but I think they've been doing just fine

>It's literally impossible for a bunch of guys in their 50s to recapture whatever vision they had when they were in their 20s
That's kinda the point of the thread. After a certain point, what's the point in making music any more when you obviously won't be able to reach the same levels of quality again?

Well, the cynical answer is it's an excuse to keep doing new tours
The idealistic answer is that they do it for themselves because they're artists and musicians, and they want to keep making new music they're proud of regardless of what anyone else thinks

Maybe it could be both, enjoying making both music and money at the same time. Still, I'm not deriding Metallica for continuing after around Black but moreover saying that they would have more of a legendary status today if they didn't.

DEAR MOTHER DEAR FATHER

If they'd split up after the black album. As an older boomer I remember how they were perceived in the mid 90's and they were somewhat mythical to say the least, and then they put out all their weakest shit in the late 90's and now they've got fanboys but it's not the same aura around them as during their hiatus. They're still good or possibly great though.

holy yikes & holy makrel

>Nah, regardless of what you think, they are still basically the biggest most legendary metal band in the world.
They're popular but their legacy has been ruined in the eyes of most hardcore metalheads. Iron Maiden and Judas Priest fared a lot better

Meh, maybe in a superficial way, but I think anyone who just says things like "Metallica sold out, Priest and Maiden never did" isn't exactly a hardcore metalhead to begin with and is just parroting shit they think they should say.

Manic street preachers, they should have just released an EP with a few songs from Everything Must Go and Journal for Plague Lovers after Richey disappeared then quit instead of continuing to put out crap for over 20 years.

That's complete bullshit.
Remember "Turbo" for fuck's sake.
Priest and Maiden both have more garbage albums than Metallica.

Gang Of Four should never have attempted a "comeback".
Same goes for ATDI.

To be fair, they have way more albums than Metallica in general. But yes I get your sentiment, anyone who actually knows the complete history of Priest and Maiden know they both have had "sellout" phases, Priest with making more commercial music to appeal to the American metal crowd and Maiden was accused by some fans of "selling out" when they started incorporating synths into their music.

No. Saw them in 2009. Worst concert I've ever been to considering I spent $70 on the ticket and the opening band (The Sword) was better.

Nah, Elvis 70s stuff with his jumpsuits and huge sideburns is probably his most iconic form. If he stopped while making movies or right before making movies, he would basically be remembered the same way Chuck Berry or any of those really old rock guys are

I like Metallica's discography. Might not always be the best work, but I like hearing all the different ways bands develop, and it makes
their music more colorful to listen to overall. Same thing could be said of a band like the Beach Boys.

Now Weezer on the other hand..

massive attack could have stopped after mezzanine

Yes

Kokomo is worse than anything Weezer ever did.

youtu.be/r-kAnNgqN9o

Skinny Puppy should have quit when Dwayne Goettel died.

Ministry should have never continued without Paul Barker.
Robert Smith should have ended The Cure after Bloodflowers.

>worse than anything
>Beverly Hills

Nigga I think not

Attached: Acdc_logo_band.svg.png (2000x1000, 52K)

If Metallica stopped after The Black Album, I could see their legacy being more squeaky clean, sure.

If Marilyn Manson stopped after Holy Wood, finished his story, he would be more a bit more respected today.

Glenn Danzig would be a legend if he only made the first four records.

If Rivers had fucked off after Pinkerton, he'd be viewed as a genius.

Many artists have gone on past their ability to create interesting, quality music, and if they stopped at their peak, they would be more praised.

REM after Bill Berry left, or they should have at least re-branded.

I seriously think the general audience, and not just fans, would've come around on Monster and Out of Time if this had happened. I think they could've had a legacy rivaling The Beatles.

That said, Accelerate was a good record and Reveal wasn't utter trash, although it wasn't good. However, ultimately a band's "legacy" doesn't make me enjoy any of my favorite albums more or less and they can do whatever the fuck they want. Constantly worry about living up to your past work is really kind of an unhealthy fascination for an artist if you think about it, although I understand why music geeks enjoy talking about stuff like legacy and "best bands ever," etc.

Yeah. I think those are on the same level.
Plus this:

Dubs checked. And I honestly hate when older bands continue making albums well after their peak.

>New Order should've stopped after Technique
>Metallica should've stopped after And Justice For All
>Iron Maiden should've stopped after Powerslave
>Pixies should've stopped after Doolittle
>Echo & The Bunnymen should've stopped after their self titled

Maybe newer albums are just excuses for older bands to tour, but come on. NOBODY has ever preferred an older band's album new material over their classics.

>same level

still wrong

red album is just as good as both of those

Attached: 2fd2300c99c7fb3c89ae7e4907ed2fe1.1000x1000x1.jpg (1000x1000, 113K)

Not really a band, but Eminem. If he just stayed retired from 2005 and never came back, I think he would be compared a lot more positively against the big rappers of today like Lamar and Drake.

Agreed

Violent Femmes after self titled
Black Flag after damaged
Andrew Jackson Jihad after Knife Man
Against Me! after their debut lmao
Radiohead after Pablo honey
Muse after black holes
HIM after razorblade romance
Green day after dookie
Blink 182 after enema

Judas Priest should have stopped at Painkiller and then reformed again years later to do Firepower, and then retire for good.

>Radiohead after Pablo honey

that's just contrarian for the sake of being contrarian

>Green day after dookie
>Blink 182 after enema

These I agree with

Sorr I had to sneak a meme in there that's all.

I would've been perfectly happy if they stopped after S&M

If Nas would have died the day Illmatic came out, he would be at least as famous/well-respected as Tupac.

It's amazing that retards think so highly of Nas when the guy has made literally only one good album his entire career.

Lol. No.

"Heart songs"

That album had "Pork and Beans" and that was it

>Black Flag after Damaged
>Only record one album

Move Black Flag up to My War and I'd agree with that

it's a troll you nignog

Even Jay-Z mocked him for that

Attached: 1GoodAlbum.png (495x152, 28K)

wtf i love jay-z now

It's funnier because even of it's true, Nas still demolished Jay in their beef.

>Him after Razer blade romance
I don't know how I feel about this, while I haven't enjoyed the albums in full after that one I do enjoy a select few songs like wings of a butterfly, sleepwalking, and funeral of hearts.

Does anyone actually listen to Jay Z other than New Yorkers?

U2

Incubus after make yourself maybe mourning view

what woefully ignorant statements. Of course people perceptions and personalities change with age, but that doesnt mean they can no longer produce significant art. Look at jazz musicians for example.

Coldplay if they stopped after Viva la Vida or X&Y.

Jazz is a tad different because unlike thrash metal it's not based almost entirely on youthful aggression and vigor. Genres that rely on such things tend to suffer, a bit at least, once the artists grow old and comfortable with their lives.

Based retard

Danzig 5 is pretty crap but hating Danzig 6-9 puts you in casual territory.

pic related, if manson just finished the trilogy, sat back and sipped absinthe til he worked himself into a coma, the whole world would have been a better place

Attached: 5899d3a75dbf8f165f889a7d97b104c7.jpg (630x349, 36K)

tfw S&M is actually the best album 'tallica has ever dropped

And yet, Turbo and Seventh Son Of A Seventh son are the best albums of their respective discography. Really makes you think, doesn't it?

Is megadeath good in concert now? What about Mastodon?

I saw Slayer in concert and liked it, so now I'm interested to see more.

Death Magnetic and Hardwired feel completely soulless to me. I'd rather listen to Load and Reload, unironically.

>Iron Maiden should've stopped after Powerslave

but then they wouldn't have released their best album

If only they just did what Led Zeppelin did and disband after Freddie died.

Attached: GH008-web-optimised-1000.jpg (1000x600, 62K)

Gorillaz after Demon Days

I like to pretend that Blondie never reformed.

Nearly anyone with any popularity, most bands have a wobbly start, hit their stride into creative peak, release confused albums that try to sound current, figure out what the fans want & pump out something non-creative but "sounds" like older stuff

Korn after Follow the Leader
Tool after Aenima
Rage Against the Machine after Evil Empire

Motley Crue after first two albums

>Korn after Follow the Leader
Issues was obviously their best album. All the high end production and fully realized fusion of styles but none of the silly bullshit or corny rap collabs that made Follow The Leader feel less true to them.

Attached: issues.jpg (700x709, 90K)

IDK about Megadeth's current lineup, but Marty Friedman's solo act is really good live. They're mostly instrumental, but they still killed it.

Also dear lord their bassist is hot as hell

Attached: Kiyoshi.jpg (897x768, 85K)

If they stopped after and justice they'd be legendary

i didn't even bother to listen to hardwired

>turbo is the best priest album
Hope for your sake its just bait

Attached: 1555214769009.jpg (660x607, 45K)

>Radiohead after Pablo honey
ebin

pretty obvious choice here
I completely agree. They're so sterile and inauthentic, I can't listen to them at all. Load/Reload are much more organic compared to them.

Why sould the bad stuff diminish the good stuff?

If a band breaks up in their golden age, then it leaves them on a high note, and the knowledge that what could have been might have been even better keeps the mystique alive. If a band breaks up after they stagnate, then it's clear that they peaked long ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=zOCHwRz1hRs
This video is all about that idea.

Linkin Park after HT

I agree with this. But I will also say I thought Weapon was a decent album. Their other recent stuff, not so much.

i saw them 2 months ago and it was unironically the worst concert ive ever been to. They started off by talking about the 'metallica family' for 30 minutes and when they finally started actually playing the audio mixing was so bad i couldnt hear the lead guitar over the drums and the singing was quieter than the rhythm guitar. You literally couldnt hear the solos, it was just some autistic drum bashing. Waste of money and time.

Baroness never should have made anything post red and blue album

Attached: hurley.jpg (1000x1000, 632K)

Name a better one then.

The Ripper stuff was honestly good, but Angel and Nostradamus were mostly piles