Syd Barret

Why do so many people see him as the best one in pink floyd? It's not like a Queen situation with freddy mercury dying and the band no longer being able to make good albums. Most of their critically and financially successful albums were after he wasn't there.

Attached: 1588.jpg (300x180, 11K)

Hipsters

Because literally everyone's heard of Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall while fewer people know about Piper at the Gates of Dawn or even that Pink Floyd originally had a different frontman at all. It's pure hipster flexing.

But it's gone too far, too many people are saying Syd Barret was the best one now. Soon we're probably going to start going in the opposite direction and say that Gilmour led Pink Floyd was the best.

Yeah honestly after Syd left the band Gilmour fit perfectly into place as the new face of pink floyd, and within a year or two the band had already written new stuff and synergized perfectly. Not to take away from Syd's capabilities as a lyricist, the motherfucker knew how to write, but still, Gilmour was destined to be in the limelight.

>Gilmour Gilmour Gilmour
DELETE THIS

Attached: rodger waters angry.jpg (468x253, 14K)

Because Syd was the one with interesting ideas other than dude politics over guitar ballads lmao

Look as a syd stan, he didnt lyrically come into his own till after floyd. His sense of melody and the structures he came up with were what was actually innovative and 'cool'

>Barrett had already departed, and the new quartet led by bassist and vocalist Roger Waters was more interested in sculpting sound for the sake of sound, with each musician (guitarist David Gilmour, keyboardist Richard Wright and percussionist Nick Mason) becoming a virtuoso at his own instrument. For better and for worse, Pink Floyd understood the limits and the implications of the genre, and kept reinventing themselves, slowly transforming psychedelic-rock (a music originally born for the hippies that had been banned by the Establishment) into a muzak for relaxation and meditation (aimed at the yuppies who are totally integrated in the Establishment).

he looks so hot

Pink Floyd stopped being good after they started playing prog rock

I think Waters was the superior songwriter, but Gilmour's superior command over his instrument and his relative lack of public displays of assholishness makes him more likable to me.

I hope all Syd stans in this thread also take the time to check out Legendary Pink Dots, if you're somehow not fans already. Basically the 80s/90s version of Barrett Floyd.

Syd made original music. After he left, the band as a whole just shifted to shitty drawn out soft rock with synths on top. At least with Syd we got noisy psychedelic jam songs and charming lyricism.

>After he left, the band as a whole just shifted to shitty drawn out soft rock with synths on top.
That's objectively wrong though.

he was hot

and a junkie who sold his future for drugs

>implying dark side of the moon onward isn't just that

>After Syd left
>dark side of the moon onward
You realize you're ignoring a large section of their discography, right?

>so many people see him as the best one in pink floyd
gonna need a citation on that one brah

He didn't do it on purpose, he was purposefully taking healthy amounts while people were constantly drugging him without his knowledge. It literally wasn't his fault.

he's the most authentic member of the band and all of Pink Floyd's great stuff without him is mainly inspired by him

Because Piper is great and underappreciated for a Pink Floyd album. Also his solo career was great and he went insane.

How does one become the most authentic member of a band?

Novelty. It's human nature to be like, "oh this is interesting, I'll seem more interesting if I feel this way." It ties in with evolution.

If you have latent schizophrenia there is no such thing as a “healthy amount” of LSD.

It was a gradual change, but they got there. Saucerful, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle are decent albums.

Syd never fit in musically with the rest of Pink Floyd.

He was too far above their level. It's like a 20th century Jazz virtuoso sent back in time to try and make music with medieval monks.

He wasn't "above" them, he was just incongruent with their creative ambitions.

He wasn't schizophrenic, according to his family.

Imagine believing this bullshit.

He wasn’t that great of a musician but had a knack for writing whimsical pop.

This guy’s drunk on the Barrett look aid.

i don't know, i basically just mean to say that his sound and ideas and the nature of his life were the most original

grow up man

You mean all three albums he made? You mean his lifestyle which was hanging out with flakes that put LSD in his tea and eventually destroyed him? You mean him going back to Cambridge and pushing shopping carts around because that was all he was capable of? That originality? And how is Waters darker vision and pessimism any less original?