Why do people claim The Beatles are so influential?

I can understand how they impacted pop culture and redefined how music is made, but I'm failing to hear how some of the greatest bands have anything in common with them. It feels as if they were responsible for everything that sucks about pop nowadays.

I'm starting to think that if it wasn't for The Beatles, music would be less of a consumer culture. Their hits are just gimmicky pop songs and novelty things rather than anything actually meaningful. Would shit like Billy Eyelish exist if it wasn't for The Beatles? I mean, how much can you really hear their influence music because I never do. It seems the worst pop songs sound more like Beatles songs, and the better ones don't. How many bands can you definitely say take sound-influence directly to The Beatles? ELO? ABBA? Then compare that to how artists like Beefheart, Zappa and Velvet Underground influenced the alternative scenes. I think their music has aged better.

Attached: A-82730-1319532331.jpeg.jpg (300x297, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU
youtube.com/watch?v=gH8iGKWB1JI
youtube.com/watch?v=gH6i9JAdJrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jICmZTOO1tw
youtube.com/watch?v=rLzfo59AdEc
youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA
youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4
youtube.com/watch?v=ixmOAb6qzvY
youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=OKh6XiFF1J8
youtube.com/watch?v=I4xw_Dx0pIg
youtube.com/watch?v=l5DMdnf9me0
youtube.com/watch?v=tAe2Q_LhY8g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Velvet Underground are fucking shit

This

>Velvet Underground
Wow, yeah TVU had nothing to do with consumer culture with their career existing solely due to Andy Warhol, who was in no way the epitome of consumerism.

You're fucking retarded. If a band was great, don't you think they would stand out and not sound like other artists who have anything in common with them? Isn't that a hallmark of originality? Or the fact that even among those who tried to imitate them, they could never come close to what the Beatles did? Stop listening to music, please.

The Beatles were quite eclectic in their sound, so it's perhaps better to look at individual tracks and albums in terms of influence. Tomorrow Never Knows was definitely an influence upon electronic music (John Foxx of Ultravox has cited this track as a key inspiration). You can hear the sound of numerous tracks from The White Album in indie rock tracing all the way back to the 80s/90s, same with She Said, She Said. I'm sure the tracks on Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's influenced psychedelic music, and the effects of psychedelic have spread throughout most modern musical genres.

The Beatles were also among the limited number of artists who were introducing classical notions of harmony and rhythm into pop music. Prior to 1967, the only other band who were as successful as The Beatles and doing the same thing were The Beach Boys, and the sophistication of Brian Wilson's songwriting only begun to match The Beatles from Pet Sounds onwards. Their songbook is almost unparalleled as a guide for how to create great pop music.

You could have just looked up artists influenced by them and seen countless interviews with people speaking about how important they were to them.

the fact that

The Velvet Underground was so busy creating genres and being influential that they didn't find the time to actually make any good music.

Fr every velvet underground song just has a kinda cool riff that they play over and over again for 7 minutes to the point you fall asleep

Guys like Zappa and TVU's umbrella of influence on hits music that's trying to be or is aesthetically alternative. The Beatles' umbrella of influence is on just about everything else popular music that has come after them. Of the two, Beatles' hold the far larger umbrella of influence by an insane margin.

The first half of the Beatles existence was far more influential than the latter half.

based and scaruffi-pilled
unironically good post

define good music

There was nothing on the US charts in 1964 that sounded like I Wanna Hold Your Hand.

You have to grasp just how much the Beatles, Dylan, and the Beach Boys (also maybe Phil Spector) completely changed popular music forever.

>Velvet Underground meme
>implying the Beatles didn't frequently sound like the VU
>implying the VU didn't frequently sound like the Beatles

How does someone listen to this stuff and see how it was obviously influential.
youtube.com/watch?v=WrAV5EVI4tU
youtube.com/watch?v=gH8iGKWB1JI
youtube.com/watch?v=gH6i9JAdJrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jICmZTOO1tw
youtube.com/watch?v=rLzfo59AdEc
youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA
youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4
youtube.com/watch?v=ixmOAb6qzvY
youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=OKh6XiFF1J8
youtube.com/watch?v=I4xw_Dx0pIg
youtube.com/watch?v=l5DMdnf9me0
youtube.com/watch?v=tAe2Q_LhY8g

change that to elvis and the beatles and I'll agree. dylan and beach boys, get to fuck

so many books

This new thread by OP has won several international awards as the most professional analysis of the career of pop group the Beatles ever written. While the interests of the author have long left popular music behind, the vast success of the article makes him believe it should continue to be posted here. Feel free to duplicate on your websites. For a list of his favorite music, the "essentials", click here (and then scroll down in that page for the best of rock music). But please note that this is just one of 8,600 bios of musicians on this website. And thank you for all the recognition.

>Then Compare to Beefhart, Zappa, and TVU
You just fucking wrecked your point retard

I love them but Heroin to me is their only exceptional song and that’s probably just because it’s really personal to me