Polyrhythms aren't complex

I'm tired of seeing people thinking that they are smart as fuck because they can do an hemiola on the piano roll... This is dumb and tiring.

I honestly don't know where the "polyrhythms are complex" meme come from. Polyrhythms are easy as fuck, I literally just learned to tap hemiola with my ass after 1 minute of reading an article about it :
instaud.io/3zat

Are people saying that polyrhythms are complex because they want to make us believe that African music isn't completely bland and uninteresting? It seems to me that this is political, a way for SJWs of saying "pure African music isn't completely useless, checkmate bigot!", but as well as a way for people who simply lack skills to appear cultured and sophisticated when what they are doing isn't really impressive

Attached: 350px-Polyrhythm.png (350x128, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instaud.io/3zat
youtube.com/watch?v=RXMgN1Aiihg
richardhodges.com/ladzekpo/SixFour.html
youtu.be/yK42w0H8rSU
rbt.asia/mu/thread/87125108
youtube.com/watch?v=gIKfN3CuFXA
youtube.com/watch?v=y1MQ95FhgUE
youtube.com/watch?v=svbPKJBJz8I
youtube.com/watch?v=z7QO7Ud8i8U&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Damn this is one retarded post. user there are different types of polyrhythms. Some are simpler than others.

Do not engage with trolls

African music is more compound meter, not particularly a lot of coherent syncopation going on. Indian music tho, that's on another level.

>instaud.io/3zat
theres nothing about what you did that suggests its a polyrhythm, frankly.

ta ta ta TAH

so... youre a cuk.

good luk

white bitches like em too!

youtube.com/watch?v=RXMgN1Aiihg

don't get "an hernia"!

>the guy who doesn't even like any music acting like he's an authority on it or somethin'

Attached: 111837-full.png (187x140, 33K)

Take some short drum sequence, move the hits about at random, and loop it. Literally anything becomes musically rhythmic if you loop it, so it's trivial to make advanced polyrhythms.

I'm not trolling

Ok, I agree. Indian and Indonesian polyrhythms are impressive, but African polyrhythms are very bland. Almost all of it is just 3:2, 3:4 and other things that a baby can tap. What I don't is why people always introduce people to polyrhythms by talking about Africans, instead of talking about it s use in Carnatic, Medieval(Ars Subtilor) or even Classical music. You can't tell me this isn't politically motivated. They are trying to push Africa culture on our childrens by using the media, so that they will accept all immigrants who come at our borders when tey will be adults. This is also why they made Black Panther.

Count it using the African method

Kpla Ka tu Ka

Kpla denotes when both beats are together, "Ka" denotes the three alone and "tu" denotes the 2.

Here is an article that mentions this way of counting :
richardhodges.com/ladzekpo/SixFour.html

And in this video an African musician do the exact same thing I did when explaing 6:4 / 3:2 (go to 05:43) :
youtu.be/yK42w0H8rSU

>What I don't is why
What I don't understand*

Sssshhh, don't let them in on the secret

Go listen to some Guaganco or Orisha music and if you tell me where the 1 is i'll believe you.

For a racist guy you certainly spend a lot of time learning about African music.

Attached: 1555514425853.png (864x718, 486K)

Niggers: MUH POLLY RIDDIMS
Human beings: Beethoven

Reminder that the human race originated in Africa.

I feel like that's a point in his favor.

>Are people saying that polyrhythms are complex because they want to make us believe that African music isn't completely bland and uninteresting? It seems to me that this is political, a way for SJWs of saying "pure African music isn't completely useless, checkmate bigot!", but as well as a way for people who simply lack skills to appear cultured and sophisticated when what they are doing isn't really impressive

Attached: 1463370951348.gif (150x125, 803K)

Soudns pathetic to me

EXACTLY

The use of polyrhythms in African music isn't very impressive, but it's over-rated as fuck, while much more impressive Indian music is highly underrated

I'm an educated individual, I don't speak about things I don't understand. I spend my time learning about a lot of things in general.

>I spend my time learning about a lot of things in general.
I bet you did some "independent research" and came to the conclusion that the holocaust was greatly exaggerated,

greatly exaggerating it would mean that it actually happened in some tangible form and there is no evidence to support this.

I like this idiotic idea that something is either complex or it isn’t. At the risk of sounding cliche, complexity is a spectrum. A polyrhythm is more complex by definition than just a repetitive single rhythm. But within the world of polyrhythms there are some that are more complex than others.

Complexity isn't what's important. Whats truly important is the historical and cultural context that these forms of traditional music come from. Anyone can read an article about west african percussion or raga or gamelan, but it can't really be fully understood or appreciated with a knowledge and appreciation of the richness of the cultures and time periods that these forms of music come from

Attached: 1494941338904.jpg (754x417, 45K)

So are you just gonna make daily threads shitting on african music? What's the point?

Nah. Gotta give the Germans one thing: they kept meticulous records about killing millions of people.

Like you and African music!

>Africa
>richness of the cultures

Attached: Girls.png (449x401, 490K)

I wasn't even specifically referencing the culture of africa, just the culture of origin of whatever type of music one is trying to understand. Seems like you're obsessed with africa for some reason

BLACKED

I try to tell you guys and you don't listen
I fucking hate this board

African polyrhythms are nice, but the Cubans took it a step further, see my recommendation on Guaganco, bembe, and other Orisha type musics

RAW

Attached: black.png (854x480, 373K)

>but the Cubans took it a step further,
This is exactly the same thing. Drum ensembles guided with a timeline. Arará music is just Ewe music, Orisha is just Yoruba music, and so on...

The only difference is that there are Spanish influences(Habanera is just a contradanza with African tresillo over 2)

>OP starts the thread with a focus on Africa
>WHY ARE YOU OBSESSED WITH BLACK PEOPLE???

Not exactly, but you're right that's where they came from. I worked in the music biz playing cuban music, and i've done african music, the cuban shit is much more intricate. the congas have more technique involved than their african counterparts, more tones, and the rhythms became more evolved with more variations on the parts and stuff... but you're the expert.

Well he was replying to me, not op. I wasn't talking about black people

We are talking about pure Blacks here tho. I know mulattoes with White admixture invented a couple of great genres in the Americas, but this is not the focus of the thread

contd. i guess i'm speaking from experience of having to play the entire ensemble with just 2 people, and still have it be authentic. much easier with african than with cuban.

This is why your music sucks. The pulse has to be interesting and engaging, rather than random

I understand what you mean. Heard Giovanni Hidalgo was able to play 15 sounds with a single conga head, while an Ewe drummer can only produce 9 sounds with an Atsimevu

Why are racists so stupid?

Because they're liberals

Unironically great thread.
Fuck off retards.

this. no amount of polyrhythms will save a lifeless groove with no character

Hey! I asked a question a few days ago and nobody answered. You seem experimented so maybe you can help
rbt.asia/mu/thread/87125108

Samefag

Giovanni Hidalgo can play 15 sounds on a fucking TV Dinner tray.... more experts, ANga DIaz on Bongos is in a similar eschelon of talent, for young blood there's this dude from Cuba i think, he's youngish maybe 30, dresses like a NYC ghetto (the bright flat brim baseball cap, basketball jerseys and gold chains and shit) anyways, i'll remember his name later....

I need some obscure cultural counting method lol

no - YOU need some rhythmic counter to prove/demonstrate/elucidate that your ass clapping is indeed polyrhythmic. otherwise its just bip bip bip bap. two asses clapping bip bip bip bap can be polyrhythmic. one cannot, unless you indicate a measure/signature

huh?

>Ok, I agree. Indian and Indonesian polyrhythms are impressive, but African polyrhythms are very bland. Almost all of it is just 3:2, 3:4 and other things that a baby can tap. What I don't is why people always introduce people to polyrhythms by talking about Africans, instead of talking about it s use in Carnatic, Medieval(Ars Subtilor) or even Classical music. You can't tell me this isn't politically motivated. They are trying to push Africa culture on our childrens by using the media, so that they will accept all immigrants who come at our borders when tey will be adults. This is also why they made Black Panther

this is the dumbest shit ive ever read.
go justify your ti gat racism somewhere else.

lol
TIN HAT

CYA asshat

shit i wrote out a huge response btu it get deleted

I was basically saying the clave is like the metronome for afro-cuban ensembles. Each drummer has a very specific rhythm to play, with trading solos. Think of Jazz music, but instead of harmony being the framework for improv, it's the rhythm that's the framework, If you compose some stuff based simply off the clave I wouldn't call it afro-cuban, you need to learn the specifics of the groove (there are hundreds, each with slight variation. Learn the variations and styles or you'll be laughed off the band stand, playing 1 type over the wrong groove is as bad as playing a guitar solo with all bad notes.... Typically a good start is Guaganco, from there just choose a different rhythm, maybe learn 1 a week. learn all the parts of the ensemble too, not just the congas or the bata.

Anyways, if you only want to use the clave, here are a couple examples of the rhythm in popular music
youtube.com/watch?v=gIKfN3CuFXA
youtube.com/watch?v=y1MQ95FhgUE

any more questions just post it here.

THe guy I was thinking of was Pedrito Martinez

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

Thank you.

I know son cubano is heavily used in popular music, but what I want to do is to use it in the same contexts Cubans and Africans used for personal concept projects. For example, if I want to sing, rap or scat while exploiting the polyrhythmic nature of the beat i'm interacting, should I pay attention to the clave to know where each rhythms fall and where to put my accents? You see where I'm coming from?

Anyway I will try to learn all of this, thank you again.

>Are people saying that polyrhythms are complex because they want to make us believe that African music isn't completely bland and uninteresting?
Chopin used poly-rhythms in his music in the 4th ballade, it's a 9 against 8
youtube.com/watch?v=svbPKJBJz8I

You need to attach each groove separately. DOn't try to just 'make it up' each groove has a very intricate and specific rhythm. I would learn 1 at a time, and once you learn it move onto the next.

Also, start with the traditional ones, don't start with a modern one. This will enforce a 'pedigree' onto you and your understanding of the music will grow in a linear and chronological fashion. Once you have 2 or 3 traditional ones move onto a more modern style if you like.

Attached: cubanforms.png (1106x473, 42K)

PS learn guaguanco first, then learn bembe, since they are very similar and often guaguanco players will slip into a sort of drunk sounding bembe and it's cool as fuck.

I know Chopin used polyrhythms. That's infact my point

People act like African polyrhythms are "complex" and that this is what sets them apart from Western tradition whose rhythms, supposedely; aren't complex. When infact African polyrhythms are bland, uninteresting and boring 3:2 and 3:4 ostinatos with no variation. Ars Subtilor, Classical music, Indian music etc... absolutely BTFO Africa when it comes to rhythm, no cap

And this is why I again think that all of this is just political propaganda to shill the Africans. This is affirmative action applied to music.

contd.

my other post, which got deleted said 'the best way to learn this, or any specific style of music such as jazz or Indian classical music, actually the ONLY way to truly become competent is to find the best expert musician in the genre in your region and pay him for lessons, and go to the same gigs he goes to so you can see it happening live and be around the people who are already experts. it's probably going to cost you 50-60 bucks an hour minimum unless you're extremely lucky. I would recommend becoming a fairly decent drummer before paying 50-60 bucks for a teacher tho, like, work with a metronome, learn your rolls, learn how to read rhythms, but most of these latin guys will sing the rhythm to you, (ah ka ba ka backi boom beem beem ah ka ba ka backi boom beem bom, it makes sense after a while) not write it down, but know how to read anyways, be a competent musician before you go paying people 50-60 bucks an hour, unless you're willing to work extra hard (4 hours a day instead of just 2)

>posts on pol about indian classical music, they call you a street shitter
>posts on Yea Forums about indian classical music, they say afro-cuban is better

You should just end your misery user.

>afro-cuban is better
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I'm sorry but
1. I'm not Indian
2. I however know that Afro-Cuban rhythms, while better than bland African rhythms, are very inferior to the rhythms of India.

hey, sinceyou mastered hemiola in ten minutes can you transcribe this for me?

youtube.com/watch?v=z7QO7Ud8i8U&feature=youtu.be

its only 2 minutes long. I just need measures, time signatures - just the basics, ok?

I'm not him, im the afrocuban shill. That thing you posted is just a 4 over 6 polyrhythm with very little variation (none?) the entire time. count it in 4 first, once u can feel that try to feel the six

African music is mostly just a bunch of ostinato for the most part. That's why it's bland and uninteresting

you don't think the first part is in 5?
and its got a nice swing which changes towards the end, with a nice cut time subdivision - those are variations.

niggers can't count to five, so it's definitely not in five. they go '1 2 3 4 ugh 6'

exactly.
its in 5.
and your cuk world view is trash.

wait, what? you think a loincloth wearing african negro from 1952 is going to play something in 5? you I mean, i can tell you before i even open the video that that simply is impossible. it's 2019 and they're still not playing in 5, it's just part of the tradition, but seriously listen again it's in 4.

>i listen again, it's in 5 the entire time
fuck me i'm retarded you win gigachad

>polyrhythms are easy
>can't actually perform a polyrhythm
lmao

Rec some sweet Indian polyriddims

Last tip. Get a drum machine (I used Hydrogen, open source and easy interface) and program the entire ensemble into it so you can hear what they propper sound like

>drops mic
>slaps your mother

the reason all these 'ostinato' cuks don't get it is because they aren't free. Theyre busy counting 123456789 / 8. My video brother just makes a fucking phrase and is free and the shit happens to be 5. Wants a polyrhythm over 5, fuk it makes on. Wants to swing 8th in fives? fuk it swings in 5 (fuck you Brubeck). wants offset cut time, does offset cut time in 5. wants hemiola? cant even say hemiola fucks your mom, and outhemiola's you cuks.

Attached: P-Low.gif (220x220, 68K)

Okay
>leaves board

This is the most based thread on this board right now.

why are you on this site you fucking faggot, leave lol