On sampling

“Music based on samples bores me silly. It becomes sort of a complex game of spot-the-influence — trying to mentally figure out why it is that this sound you’re hearing is reminiscent of something … It seems to me to be the ultimate in arrogance to think that you can create music that is equally significant by snatching bits of other people’s music or from other bits of cultural flotsam and jetsam. The analogy is often used that it’s like collage painting, which I think is completely fatuous. Collage painting uses bits of material that may or may not have meaning as textural or visual elements. It doesn’t use them for their explicit meaning.”

Attached: stevealbini1-tJozPRCLPntjkNQE1Ik9m_Z8wXTXdIua.jpg (620x571, 59K)

big mac

Attached: 1538611589929.jpg (850x400, 72K)

>Collage painting uses bits of material that may or may not have meaning as textural or visual elements. It doesn’t use them for their explicit meaning

who in current year uses samples for their "explicit meaning" aside from retard spics that sample the godfather theme or something. 99% of sampling is just finding something that sounds cool and is the key and tempo of your track if that applies. problem is steve is too autistic to appreciate the music as it is and his autism compels him to "spot the influence". also his music is garbage and he is a literal cuck

bump

I like Steve, but he's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is.
Dude knows how to mic a drum kit like nobody else, though.

who fucking cares what this nobody has to say?

>ur autistic
Wow you really proved him wrong

He produced for NIRVANA! OKAY?!?! I'M NOT IRRELEVANT!

>sampling is bad
>NOOO YOU'RE FUCKING STUPID
deal with it, sampling music takes no talent or skill, its stealing someone else's performance and pretending you did it yourself
All producers that use samples take massive credit for it too, like Kanye, when they can barely make songs without the crutch of using other people's talents

Albini collaborating with Jordan Peterson

Attached: albinis.png (850x400, 294K)

jaded as i am i cant help eating big macs with fries and a coke

what is this?

Woah there, buddy.
I'm not a big fan of sampling, I just meant that about Albini in general.

a quote

imagine the smell

Attached: bigmac_v2.png (450x350, 177K)

kek

lol fuck this Beethoven guy - he didn't play all the fucking instruments himself

that's what? a twenty year old quote likely? hardly fair to quote someone who probably heard 1000 people drunk in bars trying to explain why they liked a certain kind of music. of course hes wrong and incredibly dated in the perspective he has here, but lol whatever

Sure bro
Beethoven actually wrote music on paper, that's a step above most

>produces an album with samples
>album includes a track that is only samples, so that the album’s vinyl pressing can be used by a band member to scratch with (sample) while playing live
I am assuming this quote is either outdated or out of context

Attached: F0D2C287-D37A-4A8F-854A-37CFB33D64EF.jpg (1200x1200, 687K)

lol what

imo, if it's good music it's good music.

yeah, there are samples that are lazy and essentially rip-offs of the original track, but there are also samples that completely change the original through re-ordering it, pitching it around, re harmonizing it, and just generally changing the context of the original. i won't defend all samples, but i think there are many instances of taking someone else's creation and using it in an interesting way that completely changes it.

also, people act like sampling wasn't precedented in earlier music. during the times of gregorian chants composers would talk melodic phrases from other chants all the time, and there are all sorts of instances more recently of musicians stealing chord progressions, melodies, etc.

at the end of the day, if it's good it's good, and if it's bad it's bad. who cares how they made it?

i still cant tell if this places likes or dislikes albini lol

also is that big mac quote real??

So you're just an asshole, then.
OK.

what's the deal with this? why do people bust his balls so much over this?

A quote from one of the big black tour journals

Fuck off back to work Tony...

>99% of sampling is just finding something that sounds cool
Which is poor art, which is what Albini is against

>yeah, there are samples that are lazy and essentially rip-offs of the original track, but there are also samples that completely change the original through re-ordering it, pitching it around, re harmonizing it, and just generally changing the context of the original. i won't defend all samples, but i think there are many instances of taking someone else's creation and using it in an interesting way that completely changes it.
Albini is against overthought art in general--which dilutes pure expression--so this is all relevant
>also, people act like sampling wasn't precedented in earlier music. during the times of gregorian chants composers would talk melodic phrases from other chants all the time
That is not a sample
>at the end of the day, if it's good it's good, and if it's bad it's bad. who cares how they made it?
>what is artistic credibility

The OP is a twenty year old quote from Steve Albini about how he's not a fan of samples, and yet he has produced an album with many samples. Given how much sampling has changed over time, I wouldn't be surprised if this quote was either dated or out of context

>relevant
*irrelevant

I forget it is nice bread or nice cheese?

because of its memeability

Attached: 1496284332523.jpg (1032x1452, 448K)

fucking kek

Putting a bunch of plug ins on someone else's music to change it completely doesn't make it any more okay then if you just put drums over it like in certain beat scenes. You might as well learn to create your own music to manipulate because it is way more fruitful then playing "look how deep I can YouTube dig" as your "art". I sample for stupid side projects too but you guys are the worst. Your so decisional and up your own ass about your lazy shitty music. You won't be Chuck Pearson and you won't be J dilla go learn music and put the sample chopper away user.

Attached: unknown.png (280x567, 274K)

The "meaning" of a musical phrase, the typical unit of sampling in lazy hip hop beats, which is probably what he's talking about, is key center, chord movement, melody, and phrasing. And there's a huge amount of shit that just takes a functional musical unit out of a song and loops it without sustaining recontextualizing it in a way that alters it's "meaning" in this sense. I'm not bothered by it much personally, but he has a point and the difference he points out between sampling and collage is pretty insightful.

>during the times of gregorian chants composers would talk melodic phrases from other chants all the time
the absolute mad men

Why does it surprise people that Steven Albini is a cunt? Have you listened to even one of his songs?

Discovery has some of the laziest whole-cloth sampling ever and those tracks are not only amazing, there's also no argument that the tracks they sampled from are anywhere near as good as the Daft tracks. It's lazy, this is a legitimate criticism, but if it's good I really don't care.

can someone explain this in english please?

Albini has made album with samples. This album was made after he said the quote in the OP. This indicates that Albini's opinion on samples has likely changed.

Quote say he doesn’t like samples
He makes album with samples
Quote is maybe not up to date

Also that album is digital hardcore and the samples are used as an instrument

No it doesn't. It's likely he doesn't reject bands based on artistic grounds. There are a lot of artists in electrical audio's catalog whose music I guarantee he doesn't like. It's a job and there's rent to pay.

no idea if it's true but i remember some user posting that he called steve and asked if he would produce for his band. steve said "where you from?" and user responded "ohio." albini laughed and hung up the phone

KEK

i agree

>Steve Albini is a ha-

Attached: file.png (440x236, 45K)

based

>others' music
newfag

Attached: DM - CTA.png (1500x1500, 2.89M)

Attached: BIGMAC.png (680x632, 547K)

>hacks opinion on hack
hack.

>pedo likes a pedo

Pleb succesfully filtered

Bait

meme albini doesn't have a single good opinion. Even his """"""informed""""" opinions like muh analogue are fucking retarded. Not only that, he's also a disgusting nonce

Attached: tyler albini.jpg (524x324, 152K)

fucking retard

>I don't know who you are because I'm so young, but Imma name drop your obscure 80's band

Probably because it is a retarded thing to say, the kind of 'insightful' thing a college freshman who has never actually bought or cooked food would come up with

he has said several times over and over that his role as a producer is to help the band create their own vision, not his you absolute fucking RETARD

I would tell him that if I wanted to make fuzzy, eighties indie rock with unintelligible vocals from so much distortion, I would do that instead of making melodies in a modern fashion. You don't have to be this pretentious to be a good producer.

Attached: 1548325269628.jpg (667x661, 28K)

Not the first time a prodigious talent also had prodigiously bad taste and opinions.

Big Mac > Big Black

On toast:
"Toast is bread made delicious and useful. Un-toasted bread is okay for children's sandwiches and sopping up barbecue sauce, but for pretty much all other uses, toast is better than bread. An exception is when the bread is fresh from the oven, piping hot, with butter melting all over it. Then it's fantastic, but I would argue that bread fresh out of the oven is a kind of toast. Because I'm an asshole and I refuse to be wrong about something."

Is Albini right, lads?

I get what you're saying but when the first bands that pop up when you search a guy's name are Big Black and Rapeman, something starts to seem a little fishy