Have you accepted FM synthesis as the top tier, premium synthesis model, and also the foundation of all living beings?

Have you accepted FM synthesis as the top tier, premium synthesis model, and also the foundation of all living beings?

Yeah, this is the Comfy Saturday Synth Thread (CSST), post fav and recent cops, synth projects, and your rig for today.

Attached: 7961528279746_n.jpg (783x960, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1tv_gCOUA
youtu.be/zv4YN-N-yFE
smbolton.com/hexter.html
youtube.com/watch?v=txL9l7fI0P4
op1.fun/
youtube.com/watch?v=lu5XB1Y2rHk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>FM synthesis
ah yes, tin pan sound, menu diving, cheese 80's sound garbage, definitely my jam

get a load of this bruh

also post gay synth shit thats excellent:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ed1tv_gCOUA

PSB, lots of sampling and oberheims.

The Virgin DX-7 vs. The Chad 303

Attached: 1550438578448.gif (404x472, 2.48M)

Jesus died for our synths

only good 303 thing is that ragas album, which is reaaally good.

Trying to recreate some portasound and casiotone patches on my microcock

Attached: korg.microkorg3x.jpg (960x541, 271K)

wtf
hows that going? PCM with virtual analog seems hard to do.

imagine unironically buying a DX7 in 2019 when there are Junos out there for the same price

also pss is most times FM, so good fucking luck lol

i unironically bought my DX for $100, dont lie about Junos being $100, these are from 1000 up

also no godly DX7 keybed
no godly Professor Chowning blessing
no raw early digital sound

anything Juno is meme.

>hai im heinhach good to have you back
>in this vidio im gonna show you the
>FURHSTAFELL SHCWIENEN WAISBERG sine wave resonator
>*cue closeup of equipment and same drone sound from every episode*

>tfw have had a tb-03 for a year and still can't fully grasp the programming
I swear I'm not normally this retarded

this post didn't even make sense
they sound entirely different and Junos are like 4x the price

>i unironically bought my DX for $100

yeah a decade ago? neat.

Alpha Juno 2s still go for around $300 and the keybed shits all over the DX7's.

>raw digital sound
fucking gross

The microkorg has 64 digital waves in addition. I've got a guitar, recorder, choir and harpsichord already. I generally only want to get into a similar ballpark.

theyre both vintage meme synths but at least the Juno sound isnt perfectly emulated on half a billion VSTs

>yeah a decade ago?
last year. from ebay auction ;)

>digital juno
lole?

raw digital is whats coming you pleb. people already rejected the super polished nu-digital. thats why you want microcockers like wanting that gritty early casio sound.

meant to invoke

umm whats that smell?
i guess its comfy overcast saturday with UWU+ real time sampling and FM drums plus physically modelled taiko and moka coffee ;))

Attached: SKU41340-2.jpg (799x533, 179K)

>DUDE SYNTHWAVE LOL

>raw digital is whats coming you pleb

lol ok zoomer, enjoy your shitty dated presets

>OMG JUNO

Attached: sddefault.jpg (640x480, 84K)

but analog has
>oscillator drift
>smoother filter sweeps
>intuitive programming
>w a r m t h

DX7 is the boomers choice, try again sweatie

real boomers lived through decades of DX7 torture, we're sick of it

dumb consumerism 101, the majority of synths can't do any more than pic related with some basic production skills. throw in a quantized looper/sequencer and it's easily worth a grand... instruments are a scam

Attached: psre263.jpg (1928x1928, 379K)

>implying VST """synth"""" music and the always obvious Ableton production isnt torture
not the DX7s fault you only listened to radio garbage.

I just bought both instead

based

Raw digital is just lfo detune drift and more sophisticated distortion or saturation. A clean slate is the best base for starting a new patch.

Why would you buy a digital synth nearly 4 decades old? You can emulate it exactly and and you don't have to worry about ancient electronic components failing.
Nobody can get a DX7 for less than 400 bucks in 2019.

this guy gets it
303 is the voice of God
303 is the logos

yeah it only makes one sound really, but that is the first/final sound, all other sounds are inferior derivitives of that sound... 303 is the platonic ideal, 303 is home, 303 is mother, 303 is truth, 303 is peace

303 is nothing without a distortion pedal.

Analog is cozy as fuck.

When I want FM sounds I often use a Wavetable synth anyways.

>Nobody
$100

you simply havent experienced FM if you havent tried the DX7. its working perfectly, the particular way to program it makes you really know what the fuck are you doing. no visual feedback bullshit, just your ears and good memory.

its really boring, truth be said.

the distorted 303 sound is offensive to me, I prefer delay/reverb

youtu.be/zv4YN-N-yFE

For digital I only go for roland d50 and the korg wavestation

man good luck, i wouldn't have the courage to even try that. I'm like, really good with synths and sound design but I could NEVER get my microkorg to obey...

why not just get a cheap keyboard or vst senpai?

Where all the OP-1 love?

Yeah just use samples

Is the Roland jd xi a good to start with?

who would spend $900 on a cheap plastic daw

Lol try 1500

I would, how easy is loading samples?

There's probably an iPhone app for that. Way cooler than drag and drop on some lame old laptop

OP-Z uses iPhone app right?

Any digital synth can in theory be emulated with 100% accuracy. I'm not sure if this is really 100% accurate, but it sounds good to me:
smbolton.com/hexter.html

Attached: hexter-screenshot_widgy.jpg (593x721, 89K)

I have a keyboard but it's more sophisticated. I'm after more lofi tones and don't use software. I want to use this opportunity to learn about synthesis.
Don't have a sampler.

>Don't have a sampler.
How are you posting then? Even a phone can act as a sampler.

No midi keyboard

Use a tracker. If it's good enough for Aphex Twin it's good enough for you.

I want to play everything live though. I don't need it for techno, I simply want the timbres.

Get a midi keyboard and a laptop you hardware hipster.

Operator is the only thing you need ever

well boys its finally over i bought my last 2 synths, preordered the new ms 101 and bought a dx 100. In addition to my og novation bass station rack, tz81z, and alpha juno 2 i think im set. got a s3000xl, roland s 550, and mpc 2xl. tho if behringer does want to reissue the 303 as well i would not complain.

ALSO WHERE IS THE BEST FM FUNDEMENTALS GUIDE?

>Not sid/8bit chip
youtube.com/watch?v=txL9l7fI0P4

>i think im set

LOL

Attached: 150207720291713.png (300x297, 81K)

Back again to shill this shit again, I see.

>ALSO WHERE IS THE BEST FM FUNDEMENTALS GUIDE?
use ur ears, plebtron.

until you like it ;)

>use ur ears
Maybe with 2 operator that's good enough, but DX7-style 6 operator is notoriously difficult. Here's Brian Eno's DX7 programmer. All this for one patch.

Attached: Img4626.jpg (2835x2835, 306K)

That's very cool user. Now that Brian Eno has gone through all that work I can just use the preset.

but what kind of guide you need. i own the DX7, its not that complicated IF you know proper synth theory and procedures. now if you want to imitate real life sounds you need to understand how to create formants and overtones and how to deduct the multiple ADSR going on (dynamics, timbre, complexity) from listening to stuff, so, yes, use the fucking ears.

theres an extensive 100+ page paper for that on the internet, you should know already if youre interested as you say.

Fuck off.

why so hostile, user?

>gatekeeping a cheese machine

Attached: 1370732602119.png (908x857, 444K)

go away.

so do u make real music with your dx7 or just chillwave/lofi beats

i make kino, as in short movies/docu soundtracks. i hate the chillwhatever and other lowkey n***er bullshit.

you sound absolutely insufferable lmao

Attached: IMG_9987.jpg (3264x2448, 1.6M)

so that's a no then

very nice user! you are lucky

well i don't know i guess i am? the price was hefty and now that i have it, it doesnt feel that exciting anymore. i don't really like navigating through it's menues that much t b h. But maybe thats cause im used to vsts? dunno. Still figuring it out. But it will probably come in handy on my trip to venice in a few days, so i can produce stuff there and on the plane.
The pocket operator is the bomb tho. lots of fun.

So I've been having a look at these MPCs and other 'grooveboxes' but I still don't quite understand what they are used for exactly. They seem to be most popular in hip hop. If I understood it correctly, these are used for production purposes so what would make one choose a groovebox over producing in a DAW in terms of workflow? Are these things useful outside of resampling or little jams?

Be prepared for >muh workflow
...but really, there is no reason not to use a DAW these days.
t. boomer who only uses hardware

>useful outside of resampling or little jams?
no. and working with samples is way faster and convinient in you PC DAW.
Completely outdated piece of hardware imo

Oh, WOW! No one fucking cares.

ok

that album is insane. Made me understand the 303 hype

I dunno. I suppose I understand the basic relationships between the operators, algorhythms, carriers yadda yadda yadda. I also haven't got the DX100 yet which will be definitely be much easier to program than the TX81z. Hopefully that'll get me up to speed and much more hands on.

this is a good resource
op1.fun/

wow jealous much

What’s everyone working with tonight?

im setting up this receiver i got.

how in the living fuck did these chinks think drowning the music in reverb effects was acceptable? wasted about 15 min to set the signal in neutral so i can listen the music how it was meant in first place. did humanity go mongoloid as a whole in the 90s?

>t. can handle the based

Running OP-1 output thorough DeFormer, back through OP-1

Attached: 70B4BC83-E02D-448F-9393-0A5943C9A852.jpg (4032x3024, 2.93M)

Is this machine capable of making the OP1 not sound like a super nintendo?

OP1 can sound like a Super Nintendo? Cooool. Is there anything it CANTs do???

OMG OP1!
youtube.com/watch?v=lu5XB1Y2rHk

Attached: 1555204390907.gif (326x192, 41K)

So excited to get my eurorack case tomorrow so I can plug in this dirty slut

Attached: taiko.jpg (800x1124, 176K)

nice, that’s a fun module

kino. i want the akemies castle.

build one thats it.

this is too true

the workflow on the microkorg will be better honestly and the microkorg sounds way nicer than most VSTs still

jesus is cool with the dx7 man, the dx7 is awesome and is responsible for a lot of great things. more than we can say about some people round here....

Was Jesus a Jew or..how does that workout

he created FM

no wonder he was nailed to across then

but then he was like "lol jk im immortal XD", so yeah, FM forever until you love it.

bump

What album

Arturia V Collection again

Attached: sad crash.gif (300x300, 2.13M)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa the receiver sounds fucking great. thank you inventive chinks.

listening to coachella as we speak. billie was awesome ;)

looooooooool

get a microcock and start making real music

Kek it's funny except some people actually think that way

I need a synth?

The OP one is so cute, i would get one if i wasn't broke af

Should I get the Reface DX if I already use Dexed? I wanna have a synth to run through my pedalboard but it feels weird buying something I already technically have

Attached: 1544953864673.gif (600x291, 1.57M)

The DX only has 4 operators and 32 patch slot despite its launch price of 500 bucks. I find that to be a really shitty move by yamaha. You can run your audio output into your pedalboard.

>You can run your audio output into your pedalboard
How would I go about that? I like that idea but I only have a Scarlett solo.

Take the headphone out (if you can route audio to it) or the lineout at the back. You'll probably need a cheap 2 to 1 converter from lineout to 6,3mm at the back. Alternatively you could use your computer's output but I'm not sure how clean that signal is going to be.