/prod/ - Music Production General

Nobody cares anymore Edition

This week we all remix "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. Join us please!

Links from the image:
remixpacks.ru/top-popular-stems/
thepiratebay.org/torrent/8773763/
mediafire.com/file/pnzq3eyxr2cku12/

Stems for Dreams:
dbr [DOT] ee/Jbii

----------

NEW TO PRODUCING MUSIC? CHECK THE FAQ:
pastebin.com/B683ANRS

STILL GOT QUESTIONS? PLEASE BE SPECIFIC WITH WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO DO. THE BETTER YOU EXPLAIN THE BETTER SOMEONE MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.

POST production WORKS IN PROGRESS TO instaud.io

ANYTHING WITH AN ARTIST NAME IS CONSIDERED SELF PROMOTION AND SHOULD BE POSTED IN THE SC OR BANDCAMP THREADS.

LAST THREAD

Attached: 1554924798969.png (1687x991, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/17808732
instaud.io/3y2Z
mega.nz/#!3d9DgIKS!BOfICqXuCBVP5_RC-DwqA1NGZPspcCFnczM3T8kq3do
instaud.io/3y5Z
instaud.io/3y6U
youtube.com/watch?v=LoQ0Ms67d6E
instaud.io/3xFz
instaud.io/3ybJ
instaud.io/3xxj
drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zXq_tRTTBJZ5fZPdJIFTWpSHC3Cx89Vh
youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY
instaud.io/3yeY
clyp.it/bedxr2tz
instaud.io/3yg5
instaud.io/3ygH
instaud.io/3yks
instaud.io/3ymw
instaud.io/3yms
instaud.io/3yn5
soundcloud.com/vince-vantronic/dreams
instaud.io/3yoL
instaud.io/3yoN
instaud.io/3yph
propellerheads.com/blog/artist-feature-iglooghost
instaud.io/3yqm
clyp.it/ole1javp
youtube.com/watch?v=-_DJEzZk2pc
instaud.io/3yxX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>posted 1 hour and 45 minutes ago

Attached: 1523219309155.jpg (600x646, 34K)

This is the time where everyone in the world is sleeping, r-right?
Yeah, it must be that hehe, I was getting worried for a second.

Attached: Naw+take+this+_f74029be1b2b215ec69f591cf1875c65.gif (300x166, 413K)

Bump, please don't die too early.

Attached: 196.png (300x100, 47K)

I'm sorry.

Anyone else partecipating in the remix contest?

I saw two people in the old thread saying that they gave up because of how much of a pain is unfucking the stems.

I myself have wasted almost all of the week, and won't be able to meet the deadline.

So how about we postpone it by another week?
Those who were productive will have more time to polish it (or sleep on it and revisit it a few days later with a fresh mind), and us worthless fucks will be able to actually finish it.

I remember reading about one or two guys who only have time on the weekends because of their jobs, so they would get some actual production time too.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Attached: 2019-04-13 14_33_06-(0) _mu_ - Archived - _prod_ - Music Production General - Music - 4chan.png (411x326, 44K)

strawpoll.me/17808732

I'll go for the secret sage third option:
"Not cheating but it'd be better if you did or at least tweaked them yourself"

Fuck off with this gay ass nuance shit
It's either cheating or it ain't.
Pick a side pussy.

Cheating, you bitch. BE ORIGINAL.

I'm all about the presets. If they're good enough for David Bowie, they're good enough for me.
Also if you don't build your own guitar and sample your own percussion you are a cheater.

Postpone it of you want. Personally I don't think it will make much difference. I think you'll be lucky to get the entries from this general.

*Three entries

Hey prod, sorry to hijack a dead thread and all but I'm just starting out and could use some general advice on what I'm missing. Here's the closest thing I've ever gotten to an actual track: instaud.io/3y2Z

I know it's shitty and it needs a bassline but I don't really even know where to start, everything I try sounds like muddy dogshit and won't cut through the mix unless I distort the hell out of it

Holy shit three?
That's way more than I hoped for, man I'm so fucking pumped I think I'll pull an all-nighter and finish it in time.

What software did you use?

Ableton, all the synths are in Serum. Tried making a bassline in Operator, and it definitely had more body to it but I'm trash with FM

Can I see the project?
Make a copy of the folder, then open the project and click "collect all and save" (which copies all samples and files used into the folder), then upload it here please.

Anyone know how to change the meta data of a vst? One of my effects keeps showing up as vender unknown and its making my autism flare up.

mega.nz/#!3d9DgIKS!BOfICqXuCBVP5_RC-DwqA1NGZPspcCFnczM3T8kq3do

Appreciate the help, man

>he actually did it
maybe I will too take a look later but it should be obvious that heavy distorsion is not the right way of cutting through the mix, you should try the ott preset for the multiband compressor or use a glue compressor with extreme settings instead
when mixing with distortion you want to be gentle and stop when it gets too noticeable

lol sure I did, not exactly worried about someone stealing this shit and making stacks
I'll try that out. I have a tendency to just dump OTT on everything, but if it works it works I guess

Sorry to get your hopes up.
I had thought to just use the vocal samples and redo the rest of it but I couldn't get over the drums in the vocal stems. They just couldn't work and I basically have up. If I was a pro I could probably come up with something but I'm not.

Ah shit, I forgot that most people are on 10 now lmao.
Sorry for not asking if you're on 9 first.

I'll just give you feedback from the audio.

I like the chords that alternate with silence, but they do so in a steady rhythm, so maybe change it up (also because it doesn't really work with the rhytms created by the drums and the chord change that happens within the bar).
It starts way too high energy. Maybe create an intro or rearrange the track.
The last chord (the second of the two short ones) feels wrong.
When the hihats start I feel the song loses energy, which I'm not sure if it's intended, but I don't think works too well in this case. This is because the loop starts with a kick every bar (or half bar, idk, you get the idea), but right before it there's a faster more intricare rhythm, so by contrast the new section will feel slower.
The breakdown is twice as long as it needs to be. Either add something to it or halve it because listening to that whole thing gets boring by the end.
The lead that starts at the second drop feels too "random" to me (and I'm not sure but also feels out of key, but my ear is shit and I may be wrong). Try using motifs (repeating musical ideas) so the listener can have some expectation because at its current state it's kinda difficult to follow.
If you wrote that lead using the mouse on the piano roll, try making a completely new one on an instrument if you play one, or just by humming/whistling it into a voice recorder or something, because clicking things is usually pretty bad for capturing the "feel" of something like a solo-y lead.
The chords-and-drums loop gets too repetitive. Change add some variations at the last one or two bars of the loop to add some movement and make the song go somewhere.
For a first start you can try making three variations and using the first, then the second, then the first, then the third. Each variation should resolve to the first chord of what comes next.
Everything is too harsh.

Attached: 2019-04-12 Project.png (574x422, 29K)

I cleaned it up pretty well.
If I give you my version will you work on it another week?

Thanks, that's a huge help. I'll change some things around and maybe repost within the next couple of days

Good luck user. We believe in you.

Thanks but honestly I got so frustrated I'll probably not go back to it that soon.

I like making music, not being a nerd

Yeah buddy, I'm pumped to be hitting crunch time.
Gonna finish up tonight after work.

what are some modern VSTs? im trying to update my library

How modern? Serum, Omnisphere, Diva, Spire, Sylenth, The Legend, ABL 3, DX7 V, Synclavier V.
One that I've been into lately that isn't as much of a big name is Hyperwave Expanse.

Also Bazille and I like the M1 for both Retro new aginess and House.

>being this vague

>dx7 v over fm8
triggered
I know sylenth1 is a classic and all but is that really something new producers still immediately reach for? seems almost old school to me now

>Sylenth
Yeah I guess it's a bit old-school now but it was a goto awhile back.
>FM8
I have an irrational hatred for Native Instruments. You'll do fine with either but I think the interface in Arturia's works beautifully.

like, 2018-2019 modern.

instaud.io/3y5Z

Pigments and Flow Motion are the only super recent ones I can think of. Omnisphere just got an update and Synclavier V got the sampling function within the last year I think.
Really nothing very revolutionary that couldn't be done with older stuff though. If you're into glitchy FM bassline sequences Flow Motion is worth checking out I guess. and Pigments is something different from Serum for change of scenery and workflow at least.

That's a big bass.
Good thing I don't have a sub or my neighbours would be mad.
Nice start.

meant for

>Pigments
this looks great. thanks, user.

>irrational hatred for Native Instruments.
completely rational, they've got a few must haves but otherwise have continuously fucked up after making them

if Arturia's is really just a dx7 emulation though it'd be silly to use it over fm8 unless you really only care about dx7/classic sounds in particular

yeah pretty much serum is the only unanimously agreed upon must have in that regard- nothing else has come out since that's challenged it (disappointingly)

Arturia pigments is also cool but somewhat redundant.... it's nice

But yeah "modern" and versatile i'd say serum, fm8 and omnisphere would have you covered for 90% of stuff

True but DX7V also has a high fidelity dac mode, enhanced operator envelopes that you can draw and see overlain on top of each other and animated, a function sequencer, mod matrix, choosable operator shapes, fx and more.
This is not a paid endorsement by the way.

those may all be improvements over the original dx7 and more faithful emulations but that's all stuff that fm8 has lol.... save for whatever the function sequencer is, fm8's modulation is honestly ridiculously stunted compared to Native instruments other offerings, which makes it even more ridiculous that fm8 is still the king of fm after over a fucking decade

At any rate I'd say at this point the DX7 is covered and someone needs to try and do something new with FM. Flow Motion was an attempt at something new and it has some uses but nothing revolutionary.

instaud.io/3y6U

>instaud.io/3y6U
I like it. I hear a lot of possibilities in the melodies. For instance I think you could develop that background little sequence that comes in around 12 seconds.
I'm thinking something along the lines of this: youtube.com/watch?v=LoQ0Ms67d6E

What's a good source for risers? I feel really limited just using a bunch of sustain cymbals.

im one of the participants. im basically finished, tho i could polish it a bit but i wont have time next week anyways so to me it doesnt really matter, i think im just gonna post my result tomorrow (central european time).

about the stems i was annoyed too but took it in a different direction than tying myself too much to the original stems, worked mainly with the vocal track.

but yeah as i said im just gonna post mine tomorrow and check you guys stuff out as well

ty! was just fucking about then that happened. it's only a segment of the track, there's more melody development scattered around

i use the massive noise oscillator for mine, either by turning the cuttoff knob or the color knob open. dunno if there are better ways but massive has some cool noise preset waveforms

God damn it, ok then.
I wasted all of today too, so I guess I'll post the unfinished version tomorrow and give myself an additional week anyway.

instaud.io/3xFz

dop3 trap beet

this thread deserves to die but i will bump it anyway.... once

why does it deserve to die

nobody here duh
also the forced remix shit

>forced
I don't think you know what this word means.

>retromeme.jpg
its slang which in this case means dumb idea that only a couple people are actively trying to keep alive gramps

I know what "forced" means in the context of Yea Forums, and I was referring exactly to that.
This isn't it.

No one is trying to forcefully keep an idea alive instead of letting it die because it would't live on its own organically (which is what a forced meme or idea would be).
Here we're just keeping it alive by actively partecipating in it. That's it.
If we're actually doing it ourselves, then it's the opposite of forcing it, because we're actually letting it live organically, and it will die organically once everyone stops doing it.
If everyone stopped doing it organically yet we still kept hyping it, then yes, in that case it would be a forced idea, but we're not doing that, so you're just being a cunt for no reason.
If you don't like this thread and you think it deserves to die, you're free to leave.

>whole paragraph response explaining a fucking word
what have you had a bad day or something? i don't give a fuck if a few people just do it it's not a big deal.

highly based

blimey

>partecipating
Oh Phaser, doesn't your browser have spellcheck?

Yea Forums has context?

>If everyone stopped doing it organically yet we still kept hyping it, then yes, in that case it would be a forced idea
>everyone
>

Is writing a paragraph something that should be exclusively reserved to the most important things?
If you have to explain something, why not do it properly instead of giving a half-assed answer? This way I save myself the back-and-forth that would stem from you disagreeing with my non-exhaustive answer.

Spellcheck is cheating.

And thank you for letting me know it's not spelled that way.

Words have different meanings depending on the context they're used in.
The word "forced" can mean a million different things, and in this case we're talking about one specific use of the word which relates to this site.
In other words, no. Yea Forums IS the context for this way of using the word "forced".

And?
Does the word "everyone" imply a large group of people?
I clearly meant "everyone who does it".

Autism

Attached: keyboard-warrior.png (960x960, 122K)

Yeah, you probably are Phaser. Here's a tip - stop fucking replying. I know, you have a compulsion to reply so that you can make your case - but guess what? No-one really cares whether they're wrong and you're right, most times they're just arguing with you for the sake of arguing, they're being a cunt for no reason as you put it.

So stop rising to it. Don't reply to them, don't reply to me. Compelled to? Get a grip of that and stop.

phaser is autistic but he doesn't reply to every little thing like that lol

What's a good VST for a newgrounds happy trance melody?

Yea Forums (aside from Yea Forums) is in my experience the only board where if you have any kind of disagreement or argument about something, instead of responding to you, the other users make fun of you for having the disagreement.
Everywhere else, be it on the other boards or on other websites, or even in real life, people actually state their opinions and discuss the matter with you, but not here. Here you're supposed the never care about anything like the stereotypical stoner who's incapable of thinking about things further than on a superficial level.
The only people I know who do this are tweens and teens, which leads me to believe that this is the kind of people I'm dealing with here.
Am I correct?

Because otherwise I can't really explain it.
How can someone make an argument, then make fun of you for responding? It makes no sense.

It's not about who's right and who's wrong.
It's that I'm not only compelled to respond to everything, but I also enjoy it.

>How can someone make an argument
your "argument" is over something retarded that nobody cares about. It's completely pointless to argue about semantics as if that would somehow magically change each parties points.

Having an elaborate response to something people care about or is worth talking about might still get you made fun of but it is worthwhile to some people reading, however what you've explained is not, and that is why your posts are "autistic." Now fuck off\

>I also enjoy it.
yeah if that's referring to "disagreements" etc you need to realize that just annoys the shit out of 99% of the population

is this satire

maybe he's making fun of /prod/ :(

>other users make fun of you for having the disagreement
its part of Yea Forums's 'context' tho

he's doing a bloody good job.

>your "argument" is over something retarded that nobody cares about. It's completely pointless to argue about semantics as if that would somehow magically change each parties points.
>Having an elaborate response to something people care about or is worth talking about might still get you made fun of but it is worthwhile to some people reading, however what you've explained is not, and that is why your posts are "autistic." Now fuck off\
The only difference between my replies and what you wouldn't consider autistic is that mine have just more effort put into them.
It doesn't mater that nobody cares. You make an argument and I give you a response.
We're all on Yea Forums anyway so it's not like our posts here are time well-spent anyway, so why not take an additional minute to write a proper argument instead of a shitty pointless one?
If I have to write a halfassed one-liner I might as well not say anything.

It's not.

I'm not.
This "huehue hes having a discussion so he dum" is precisely why this community sucks and nobody who's worth spending time with hangs around here.
There's never any discussion of any kind and it's almost all kids and morons.

Fuck off.

>"huehue hes having a discussion so he dum" is precisely why this community sucks
people like you clutter up the board and derail threads over pointless shit and then blame other people. That's exactly why the "shit nobody cares about" matters here

What other boards do you frequent?
Because this is exactly the behavior I'm familiar with and enjoy participating in.

a discussion? Not...an argument with yourself? How are you so sure that we're being hostile. We love you user

>I have to write a halfassed one-liner I might as well not say anything.
>Writes multiple halfassed one liners

sorry to bother you all with this stupidity, but how do I change the view of my patterns. I don't want these huge fucking blocks taking half of my screen, I did it by accident (because I use a laptop) and now I don't know how to get it back, nor what to type in google. Thanks bros

Attached: Untitled.png (1366x768, 229K)

nvm, I'm a fucking idiot. But do you guys know how to do it all at once? so far I've only figured out how to minimize them one by one.

Alt + Scroll up/down to zoom in/out vertically.

Also (this works in Cubase and Ableton, so maybe FL Studio) if you select all of the track headings and re-size it'll size them all.

Yeah, because otherwise the thread would be filled with fruitful discussion, right?
Besides, people can still talk about whatever they want.
Having multiple discussions per thread at once is pretty common.

My regular boards are mainly /g/, Yea Forums (almost exclusively for /prod/), and depending on the period, /biz/ and /fit/, but I often go around other ones if I'm in the mood for some other stuff (usually it's /ck/, /3/, /o/, /n/, /an/, /sci/, or /x/, but it can literally be anything). I used to visit /int/ a lot years ago, but now I pretty much never do.

>Because this is exactly the behavior I'm familiar with and enjoy participating in.
Which behavior? The autistic or the careless?

>a discussion? Not...an argument with yourself?
What do you mean?

>How are you so sure that we're being hostile.
Not necessarily hostile, but making an argument and dismissing the response because it's longer than a certain treshold of "non-autistic" and acceptable length, is pretty bothersome to me.

It's not that they're one-liners. It's that they say nothing.
If I structure my sentences to be many short phrases or one long paragraph with no periods, I still make my point.
One SINGLE one-liner doesn't.

do you produce brethren?

No, I'm just here to argue.

Do you produce arguments?

Is there a way to remove mono parts in FL studio, and leave all that's different on both channels? And vice versa

Never used FL, but any EQ with Mid/Side functionality should work.
Leave the Side info alone, and on the Mid just drag a LPF's cutoff all the way up and a HPF's all the way down.
Now you've muted all the mid information and are left with all the side info.
Obiously you can also do the opposite.

Please note that this isn't the same as summing/collapsing to mono.

>working on project for a few hours
>"wow this is fucking amazing"
>best thing I've ever made
>take a break
>come back a few hours later
>it's an indecipherable clusterfuck
fuck my life. it makes sense when you have it on repeat for twenty minutes but how do I make shit easily digestible on first listens?

Less is more.

what's the easiest and most productive way to learn music theory
how do I go from knowing nothing to being able to make passable jazz or bossa nova inspired stuff

Get some fake books and learn how to read/understand/play the chords that they show. Ear training.

That fakebook advice is useful in terms of practical skills but you shouldn't lean on them for too long before learning to transcribe, and if you're interested in learning theory the theoretical way you can basically either take the functional harmony (read: classical) route or the chord-scale theory (read: jazz) route. I'd say pick up (or pirate) some books (The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine, Jazzology, Guide to the Practical Study of Harmony by Tchaikovsky, Gradus ad Parnassum, etc) and try to get a sense of how the genres you like are built harmonically, then just imitate and transcribe ad nauseum

Both the behaviors, but really just the general orneriness of people who use this site.

>go to pastebin looking to learn to mix
>find first video
maan fuck you guys I watched twenty minutes before I had to turn it off

lol got em!

Attached: not the bees.jpg (321x53, 5K)

instaud.io/3ybJ

wip not sure about the arrangement
thoughts?

instaud.io/3xxj

think i may have lost what i was going for with this, it was supposed to be kinda droney, but also driving and chaotic. i hope mixin on cheap headphones didn't kill it, also sorry i've been posting this song for like a month now

>instaud.io/3ybJ
it needs more than one chord progression in my honest, one that goes from a chord higher? and has a different rate of harmonic movement
there isn't really much going on arrangement-wise from what i can tell

>i've been posting this song for like a month now
bruh write a new song already jeez, just tone down that distorted shit and call it done

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zXq_tRTTBJZ5fZPdJIFTWpSHC3Cx89Vh

Attached: FSEK84p.jpg (800x566, 106K)

okay but i don't think anybody is going to listen to a whole album of video game music for you

How do i into mixing bros?

Attached: IMG_9977.png (1024x862, 1.76M)

i acquired a scarlett 18i8 about a year ago and finally started using it. this is fucking great why did i wait for so long

youtube.com/watch?v=TEjOdqZFvhY

holy shit all the graphics are blowing my mind but is this actually useful?

Yes.
The information in the video is stuff that every producer should know like the back of their hand.
If you're a beginner, this is going to be very useful.

thank you so much for pointing me in this video's direction. i'm 30 min into it and it's very useful and pretty easy to understand

it's exactly what i needed. i luv u

Attached: 1497437736147.jpg (503x574, 126K)

Luv u 2 bb.

It's in the pastebin btw. I recommend you check it out.

instaud.io/3yeY

oi

how the mix on this?

clyp.it/bedxr2tz
>bubbly

Attached: seal.jpg (640x640, 86K)

soggy

>fucking up your bas ina minimalist beat
bruh does that sound right to you?

Yeah, what sounds wrong about it? Too intrusive?

sounds pretty good man, nice track

Sounds comfy.

Attached: smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes_1f60a.png (160x160, 7K)

never change /prod/

Attached: 1536798376433.jpg (514x350, 111K)

why does one of my microphones records with the phase inverted compared to all the other ones? also it's a dynamic one and all the others are condensers, could that be the reason?

This is a legitimate question. I like the contrast, but if you think it sounds bad, tell me why. I'm not going to learn anything, if you don't explain it.

>i will never learn things if someone dont break them down like baby food then spoonfeed the information to me

bruh, the only thing you said is
>I don't like thing

How can I understand why you don't like when I do and you don't explain yourself?

i'm starting to think it's a good idea to just notch 1k on the master. holy fuck

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

It is serious

instaud.io/3yg5
rate it please

make more drum patterns, add lead melody, lower the shshshshsh percs

>instaud.io/3yg5
I'm not sure what was your idea but having a solo running constantly through the track sounds messy, ideally it should be the culmination of a progression but here everything feels like a climax and because of that there's no impact

instaud.io/3ygH

shit

why do all these rocknroll singing teachers on youtube sound like the have a potato in their mouth while they take a painful dump

Because otherwise they wouldn't be YouTube teachers.

Bump

when are we supposed to post our remixes for the contest?

Here.

have people posted results already?

On Sunday, so today up until Monday starts somewhere

Not that I've seen.

Are some people just not cut out for writing music/producing? It's so fucking boring to me that I just can't do it -- do you guys have any tips to stay focused or just general workflow?
For example, I can shit out something stupid with minimal effort, but that's all it is: something stupid. How do you determine if something is worth building upon/polishing? What do you do after you lay down the basic idea?
I sat down and thought "hmm, I'll play something in B lydian" and then I messed around for literally one minute and then pressed record:
instaud.io/3yks
Now I'm sitting here with this turd that'll just go in the trash with everything else I've ever done.
I understand that it could be developed. My left hand is full retard just laying down basic harmony to give the right hand something to work with, so that can obviously be re-written. Maybe I'm just tired.
Actually... what DAW should I be using if I hate playing with a click and just want to freely play like this? (if I should even be using a DAW)

You'd be surprised.

Do you strictly compose music on a piano or you also produce in some capacity?

music production is for autismos who will meticulously work on one 8 bar drum loop for two hours. Playing piano is not /prod/. Also nice blog

I also mess around with guitar and drums but I don't have it in me to sit in front of a computer and actually write out parts although I would be capable of transcribing what I play.

>I don't have it in me
Why?
Is it boring to you? Frustrating? Please elaborate on this.

Also, are you self taught, or you went to school for those instruments?

>nice blog
Thank you -- I like blogspot's new Burichan theme; it reminds me of Yea Forums.
I don't want to play piano though. I want the shit I write to be played on other instruments/synths/whatever. Only classical music sounds good on piano.

I think the boring/frustrating part is having to slow down and work out the details with a mouse and (typing) keyboard.
I took piano lessons for around 12 years but taught myself guitar and drums.

Which parts of music do you enjoy doing, then? You've learned to play so is it just that part you enjoy?
Maybe you need to collaborate with someone who does the production/arrangement parts that you hate? Loads of people love that part but can't play like you can, so you've got an obvious thing to offer to a collaborator.

Then you either learn to sit through it, or you get with someone who can do the production for you while you just play the instruments.

If you want to start producing, perhaps use a midi controller to directly put your playing into the computer so you don't have to transcribe anything, and see if you find other aspects of music production fun (like sound design, mixing, etc).

There are many producers who work exclusively with hardware gear, almost never looking at a screen, so you might look into that (if you have money).

Yes, playing is fun. I can't imagine that I would ever meet someone as fucked up as I am to make the music I want to make.
I've tried recording midi into Logic before maybe 6 years ago but it just looks like a mess. Is the key to just ignore the bars/timeline and the fact that it looks like a mess and just use my ears? Or maybe learn how to adjust the time to fit what I played with elastic markers or whatever they're called?
Man... I almost jumped on Reason when it was $100 off last month. I wonder if it would have been fun.

Can't you play with a metronome?
If it's a bit out of time, all DAWs have a quantize function to nudge the notes in the correct timing.

>Can't you play with a metronome?
I can but I prefer to let the music breathe like in classical (romantic/late-romantic) music.

Then just record as if the DAW had no tempo or time signature.

so should i even bother to post my remix anymore? kinda sucks if im the only one lol

Don't worry m8, I'm gonna post mine too in a few hours.

instaud.io/3ymw
instaud.io/3yms
Is this shit?

Attached: 1548040068930.jpg (400x400, 29K)

demarcus/10
they're like a fetus of an idea, they could be good or deformed monstrocity, it's too early to judge
I'd say first slap some exciter or saturation plugins to quickly fix the dull sound and try working more on the arrangement after

>demarcus/10
what does that mean

Dreamy bois where we at?

instaud.io/3yn5

Attached: 1481632103800.jpg (356x484, 39K)

I like the melodic ideas but the sound design is painful.

Not him but:

For me, that would mean that you have some technical deficiencies, make bad choices melodically and rhythmically, and generally sound like you wrote according to a flow chard made from a youtube tutorial.

Which is 100% fine when you're a beginner, it's few and far between the people who can be good without practice and study.

However DeMarquis has well over a hundred tracks under his belt and seems to have difficulty advancing beyond the play-to-pattern stage.

Also he gets dicky about being called out on it, which I understand, being bad at stuff and being told so is embarrassing.

IMO these tracks aren't quite as low as that because you show more melodic ingenuity than lil' D.

>instaud.io/3yn5
Nice. You should put your vocals higher in the mix ;)

>it needs more than one chord progression in my honest
that makes sense. I was trying to keep it simple because I don't rap songs use that many chord progressions.
>there isn't really much going on arrangement-wise from what i can tell
I had it be just the chords drum and bass for the verse section and then the melody comes in during the chorus. I meant I'm not sure if I should leave the melody for the chorus or add it to the verse. The chorus with the melody and hihat kind of sounds more hip-hop-y.

>make more drum patterns
like a drum pattern over the main drums? that might be cool.

i'm kinda autistic socially, how do I get my music out there?
how do I find like minded people who like a similar sound? the sound i'm into isn't anything unique but feel mismatched with a lot of similar internet electronic music and beats
am I doomed to never be part of a cool collective, group, label, or whatever community
seems like a niche and people for everyone but me

HOW DO I MAKE SOMETHING LIKE THIS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

>IMO these tracks aren't quite as low as that because you show more melodic ingenuity than lil' D.
I'm not OP, I asked "what does that mean" because they're way better than anything I've ever made.
>generally sound like you wrote according to a flow chard made from a youtube tutorial.
That's funny. I barely even follow the tutorials I watch.
>Also he gets dicky about being called out on it
I don't need to be called out I need serious help. I found this YouTube channel from /r/makinghiphop the other day.

post a song

>I found this YouTube channel from /r/makinghiphop the other day.
I meant to delete this part.

this is all it takes to unfuck the stems senpai. those 3 tracks are longer for some fucking reason but they all line up the same. takes 30 seconds

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 5.21.04 PM.png (1270x244, 33K)

It's not that they don't line up with each other, it's that if you want to create something new around them that has a steady rhythm, you're gonna have to manually warp them in place because the timing constantly changes.
Also, the vocals have drums in them, so it's gonna be harder to do something useful with them.

Did you do the remix?
What did you do with the stems?

Ty, that's actually the last thing I was adjusting this morning because I thought they were too high in the previous mix (from last night).
I totally get why I've seen advice about taking a long time between mix sessions, I'm absolutely sick of hearing my voice now.

I think I'm going to need another month to finish the remix.
I did most of it today and it's all garbage. All the sounds are placeholders, the composition needs to be redone, I haven't even retuned the vocals (so I just slapped a vocoder on them), and I haven't even started to mix it.
Should I just upload it as it is? I don't think I want to keep working on it desu.

When are you guys gonna post yours?

Attached: 1554715472164.png (645x1260, 440K)

Sounds tight m8 love your sounds work.

just upload it id say. and if you still wanna work on it just upload it next sunday or whatever when the next context finishes.

just finished uploading mine:

soundcloud.com/vince-vantronic/dreams

the mixing is probably shit and i couldnt figure out how to get it louder without clipping (any tips on that?)

I'm the demarcus/10 guy, they are better because they make sense theory wise but both the mix and the arrangement are still barebone as fuck just like your stuff

on top of that they are in mp3 wich is not that great if you have to heavily process them

i bet your tracks are gr8

>just upload it id say
Alright:
instaud.io/3yoL

I also did this:
instaud.io/3yoN

>soundcloud.com/vince-vantronic/dreams
Very nice. Reminds me of Pogo.
I like that you completely bypassed the problems with the timing and drums in the vocals by chopping it up.
Good work user.

Why even bother. I'll never be able to make the music what I like. I spend countless hours working on some project then make the mistake of listening to my favorite music. I'm not even close. I'm like a toddler.

>instaud.io/3yoL
sounds promising, the vocoder was a choice or just a way to mask the top layer of the drums?
>instaud.io/3yoN
pic related

Attached: s200_kekus.maximus.jpg (200x200, 24K)

I can't make assumptions about your favourite music, but what I can tell you is that either

a) it was the result of more than a few hours, taking time to absorb influences, and time to learn composition/arranging/production into account, or

b) your favourite artist just fucked about randomly and made some meme music that happened to be in the right place at the right time.

If a) then keep at it, you've probably not put in the same amount of time yet, and if b) then don't waste your time wishing for that, chances are slimmer than winning the lottery.

TL;DR you're probably like a toddler because in terms of time spent so far, you are.

>sounds promising
Thanks.

>the vocoder was a choice or just a way to mask the top layer of the drums?
It was initially to create the new vocal melody (so I could edit the midi and hear how the vocals would sound), and I was supposed to repitch the whole thing in Melodyne with the new melody, but I didn't have enough time so I left the vocoder.

they sound fucked up in a good way, if you're willing to continue you should try keeping the vocoder as a layer or not 100% wet

>to mask the top layer of the drums?
There are almost no drums in the vocals (you barely hear them in the mix even if you know they're there).
I cleaned them up to be able to use them with no effects.
instaud.io/3yph

Thanks, I'd probably keep it in the chorus since it's polyphonic and the repitching doesn't come out as well as monophonic vocals.

Hey /prod/

I am migrating to a new PC very soon. I have a metric fuck ton of cracks , about 3tb in custom samples/libraries.
Will I be able to run my Ableton projects on my new PC? I am fairly certain I will have to manually do the installs as I will be going from Window7 to Windows10 (regrettably).
Opening projects I made on my current machine, how is that going to react with VST's and samples? Is it going to be unable to load most of the contents of my projects unless I make the installs/files in exactly the same format?
I really don't want to just flash copy the drives over to the new machine, because... well my PC is basically a Russian spy by now, but before investing thousands into a new rig - I am very concerned with migrating the files, considering that some cracks are installed on the C: drive along with the OS, which I will inevitably have to install separately.

Any thoughts on how to proceed here? Has anyone got experience with this task, this machine is close to dying and I am sat here cloning it to an external after 4 years of dealing with it. Every little helps.

You need to have the same plugins installed obviously, and you need to have the samples in the same place (Ableton just loads them from an address like "C:\Users\user\Desktop\samples\jizz.wav" so if there's ANY difference in this whole string it won't find them).
If the samples aren't there, when you load up the project it will tell you that there's missing stuff and will give you the option of automatically searching for them in your project folder, in your Ableton library, or in another folder of your choice.

A wise habit to have to prevent these problems is to click "collect all and save" when saving a project for the first time or when you add a sample. This way it copies it into the project folder and the project will never have samples problems (at most you'll just tell it to search for them in the project folder and everything will start working in seconds).

As for your vsts, as long as you install the same version as before, or a version that doesn't have a new name or something, it should be fine.

some cracked ilok plugins are stuck with an outdated version that gives problem with windows 10, sometimes they aren't even recognized but you can get around this problem by using ableton in win 8 compatibility mode and sometimes putting a cracked soundtoys plugin in the first track of a project, don't ask why it just works

Attached: 1552228901283.jpg (1280x720, 315K)

how do i produce like iglooghost

>As for your vsts, as long as you install the same version as before, or a version that doesn't have a new name or something, it should be fine.
I intend to completely re organise my absolute state of a file structure but I will have exactly the same (relevant) plugins. This will still be fine?
>some cracked ilok plugins are stuck with an outdated version that gives problem with windows 10
What VST's do you know have issues?

Is what I have in mind realistically going to have to just be a fresh install job and I build from scratch minus my custom stuff, or to just clone the hard drives exactly?

>I intend to completely re organise my absolute state of a file structure but I will have exactly the same (relevant) plugins. This will still be fine?
They should be, yeah.

Have you formatted yet?
I suggest keeping a copy of your VstPlugins folder/s so you know exactly which name they had in the old OS.

>Have you formatted yet?
no, im currently sat here waiting the 10 odd hours to copy my shit to an external drive where i plan to sift through the shit over the next week or so and thin it out, i have a ridiculous amount of torrents i never use etc
i intend to go full SSD so trying to save some pennies on sizes, multi TB SSD's are expensive as fuck

I did a fresh install too earlier this year, same as you from win 7 to win 10, I kept the same file address for samples so no issues there
I still have some problems with vsts when I try to open old projects but compatibility mod does the trick and after I resave them I can disable compatibility from ableton
even after resaving some plugins requires the soundtoys trick but so far it only happened with softube and sly-fi digital

becoming more and more tempting to just run an i9 SSS+ tier botnet

propellerheads.com/blog/artist-feature-iglooghost

Buy Reason.

tfw one file just wont copy

Attached: god damn it.png (408x252, 41K)

>copying everything at the same time
Dumbass, now if there's an issue you'll either have to restart from scratch or live with the doubt that your files might've been corrupted or deleted.

why would it be corrupted or deleted?

I had this laying around, might as well poast it
instaud.io/3yqm

Because some times Windows fucks up, or your drive disconnects for a second, or the drive firmware/driver is bugged, or the file path is too long, etc.
Many such problems don't even show signs unless you check after the copy (ideally by calculating the hash of everything, but realistically, checking that the new files are all there and that they take EXACTLY the same space down to the last byte), so you never know.

If you do them in chunks you can find the problem and restart the individual chunk instead of restarting the whole thing.

what can i say i am retarded
although - about 5 years ago i originally had issues with reaktor copying over to this (then new) rig from a very shit laptop - although i cant really remember because i am a dumbass
is there circumstances where one file could take abnormally long to copy (successfully) ?

>is there circumstances where one file could take abnormally long to copy (successfully) ?
Yes.
With something as complex as an OS with third party files being copied across drives, anything can happen, but if the file isn't too big or it has some weird interaction with the OS (like weird characters in the name or some weird video codec that makes the thumbnail creator glitch or shit like that), then it's very unlikely.

if i stop it now and begin again, and then do
>ideally by calculating the hash of everything, but realistically, checking that the new files are all there and that they take EXACTLY the same space down to the last byte
i could potentially start it up again without losing the stuff already copied? if i were not to do that, i wouldnt know if i fucked sometihng up (corrupted) unless i came across the error manually?

its one single file that is causing the stall, if i delete that file - will it fuck everything up?

is any of this going to potentially damage the external HDD, realistically I will just do things in chunks if it comes down to that.

Attached: the culprite.png (824x96, 8K)

>if i stop it now and begin again, and then do
>>ideally by calculating the hash of everything, but realistically, checking that the new files are all there and that they take EXACTLY the same space down to the last byte
>i could potentially start it up again without losing the stuff already copied? if i were not to do that, i wouldnt know if i fucked sometihng up (corrupted) unless i came across the error manually?
Maybe I'm autistic but I'd never EVER do that because I wouldn't know if everything got copied correctly or not.

>its one single file that is causing the stall, if i delete that file - will it fuck everything up?
Probably not.
If everything else fails, I'd definitely try that before trying to interrupt the copy.

>is any of this going to potentially damage the external HDD
No, but if you copy the whole thing twice it's going to wear it slightly more than by copying the files once. That's all.

I'd try opening the task manager to see if there are processes and/or services that might be doing something to that file (anything by Native Instruments), and obviously stopping them.
I'd then try to close any program that has nothing to do with the copying (DO NOT terminate explorer.exe).

deleting the file causing the issue didnt change anything and there is no programs causing conflicts, thanks a lot for your help - i guess i'll just have to try again.

scroll your mouse wheel on this thing

Attached: fl-studio.png (33x71, 1K)

Good luck user.
Sorry for calling you a dumbass.

its cool i am a dumbass but i make bangers so its ok
appreciate the time lads ur all gunna make it

I MUST SYNTHESIZE A REALISTIC PIANO IN FM8 THE HOLY GRAIL

Attached: 1521074522538.jpg (400x416, 9K)

that makes sense. what are some ways to improve arrangement? arranging is weird to me because I make every part of a beat at once and plan what goes wear in my head (what part is for the chorus what part is for the verse what part is for the intro), but sometimes some stuff sounds better in other places. Either way though I just try to stick to a standard structure because otherwise I feel like its random and I'm cheating.

That's all?
Just two remixes?
I thought more people than that did it.

I wanted to but my boss called me out for not working the 50 hours that I was scheduled so I had to work 60 and this next week will be another 55 or so.
;_;

Fuckin lawl

silly wagie

Sorry to hear that user.
Maybe next time.

SHUT UP.

> #
>SHUT UP.
It's a lot funnier after hat user splurged after somebody pointed out how forced the remix contest is lmao

Yeah that was me.
I was referring to that when I said SHUT UP.

does merely sampling the instrumental count as remix, if so I might try to contribute something

>sampling the instrumental
What do you mean?

Whether it counts or not, you're still welcome to do whatever you want.

like y'know chop up the instrumental stems, maybe pitch down and stuff. I'm not huge on lyrics and stuff, not the best at mastering that stuff.
Is there a deadline?

The deadline was today, but nobody cares so do whatever

I might play around with it in an hour or so after I smoke, maybe try something a bit more avant-garde than a typical remix.

Attached: slep.jpg (850x850, 137K)

Alright we're all waiting user.

>that user
He's not very anonymous though...
がんばれ

>instaud.io/3yoN
This alone was worth all the remix bullshit.

clyp.it/ole1javp

feedback and/or advice on mixing this?

posted it before, worked on it a bit since then.

nice track
desu i don't really like the kick sample
vocals are amazing
after 1:10 your chords sound all cramped together and the voicings are not what i'd go for

wtf

Attached: j.png (1948x1286, 2.73M)

idk, if it's too boring, maybe you should find someone to write music with, that's what people used to do back in the day.
From what you are saying, it seems you don't have a set goal and just improvise music without thinking, that's not good, you need to aim at something and have a reason to do what you're doing (focus on your style, find what you want to tell/convey).

All DAWs are mostly the same. But if you are more into rock music, you might want to pick one that's more convenient for audio editing and shit, like Reaper or Ableton (not the best for that, but that's what I personnally use).
Nobody can help you regarding the workflow, it's different for everybody, so you need to find what works best for you (actually, finding your own way of doing things is what will set you apart from other musicians, if that matters). This takes time and effort (but you can have fun along the way too).
Also, you should always play with a click if you don't want to have more problems later when adding other instruments.

These days I've been using korg legacy collection and I quite like it (especially the romplers).
Is it "safe" to use vsts that are this old? (I think these were released in 2004).
When I check the spectrum I see a lot of garbage under 100 Hz for example.

Nexus crack when?

don't die

I'd rather die than do that.

If I was so concerned about the computer I'd buy another computer purely to clone the sick one, then buy another one and start fresh with fewer sounds etc.

I enjoyed the Joker trailers music and effects, did you? the horror stab sounds mixed with a song is cool

youtube.com/watch?v=-_DJEzZk2pc

Attached: 02-alexandria-ocasio-cortez.w700.h700.jpg (700x700, 164K)

that will teach you to mindlessly download warez

are these all the remixes?

where can i get shitty band stems? the ones on that cambridge website are all studio quality.

officially? no where. why would they release those?

>want to make music that has decent quality
>my instruments suck

Can learning decent mixing techniques save me?

Attached: 1538056973084.png (500x375, 406K)

Apparently.

Some of the records I listen to have noticeable tape hiss. I looked up and there are some de-noise hardware devices that might help me. Obviously, they affect music as well so I'd like to check out how it works first. Does anyone knows some software emulators of such hardware (very preferably free, it might be not the best, but for demoing that will do), I'd like to try them in software form before buying a hardware device.

lol

thoughts on this?

Not really. However you CAN disguise your shitty instruments if you use high quality distortions (preferably hardware) on them or embrace the shittiness as an aesthetic.

instaud.io/3yxX

Quickly did an ambient remix of Dreams

Sounds nice.
I'd rework the arrangement and perhaps make it a bit less drowned in reverb, but overall it's nice.
How long did you spend on it?

Hour or two