I know people think of The Who as a 60's band, but they hit their peak in the 70's

I know people think of The Who as a 60's band, but they hit their peak in the 70's.

Attached: Rog_and_Pete.jpg (1577x2400, 645K)

Their peak is Eminence Front

"No!"

Attached: literally-who.jpg (599x452, 76K)

Were they actually good? I feel like they always get overshadowed by bands like the Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin

Go die. Right now. Just go die.

That's only an issue if you consider "British Classic RAWK" as a genre, to be desu. All of the bands you listed bring something different to the table, in my IMO.

Roger Daltrey is a hunk, but he would be even sexier if he was black.

They were fantastic, but this is their best album easily.

Attached: Who's next.jpg (640x640, 418K)

i like the art pop/mod stuff from the 60's but the rock opera/70's rock not so much apart from live at the Young Vic 1971, love that so much.

Cant fight it

it's all terrible

>Were they actually good?
Yes. They the first British:

>proto-Noise rock band
>proto-Punk band
>proto-Prog rock (A Quick One While He's Away)

Stop. Stop making hagiographies of genres. This shit didn't exist then, and it doesn't now. Stop revising history.

60's Who layered the groundwork for punk. Townsend is a god.

I would not have a problem calling "My Generation" the first punk song.

first post ok post

>Stop revising history.

Noise rock is defined as rock that uses feedback and other atonal elements produced by equipment as a critical element of song structure. The Who did exactly that with Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere and My Generation, with Townshend beating the shit out of his guitar and amps to generate all manner of sounds during the song's climax.

As others stated, My Generation is probably the first British punk song (I won't say it's the first punk song, since the Sonics happened on punk a couple years earlier, but the Who brought their "Britishness" to punk/garage rock).

I don't know if it's their best album on its own, but the whole peripheral vault of material from the Lifehouse era combined it is the Who's zenith.

if you don't think of them as a 70's band you probably work for VH1 or some shit

I disagree, I think they hit their peak with "The Who Sell Out", but their 70s stuff is definitely great

They had a couple good tracks but they were shit overall. I mostly blame the bland, generic chord progressions.

Their mod era was superior.

incredibly talented musicians, with pete being an incredibly talented songwriter
who's next is their best album
love reign o'er me is their best song
they really are one of the giants of classic rock
that said, it doesn't surprise me one bit their music doesn't connect to newer generations in really any capacity

Thanks for the Sonics!