Lets be honest, britpop shits all over grunge

lets be honest, britpop shits all over grunge

Attached: blur the great escape.jpg (640x640, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qks__ZNvhiw
youtube.com/watch?v=jz9GJENqwMo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>hating yourself and wanting to die
>living forever

britpop > grunge
rave > gangsta rap
big beat > nu metal

brit 90s >>>> usa 90s

and shoegaze shits all over britpop

Look at them feet woah momma

It was far more diverse. Different Class, Dog Man Star and Morning Glory all sound completely different and all shit on any grunge album

I disagree, but Blur are great.

The virgin grunge
>a bunch of self loathing junkies, nearly all frontmen are dead
>the chad britpop
>made with optimism or clever humor, the songs were about more relatable topics

Not really, only reason anyone gives a shit about it is Loveless (MBV were the only good shoegaze band) and because that’s the only thing yank anglophiles could get a handle on back in the 90s (“wow this isn’t all that different to OUR indie rock!”) so they ended up canonising it for the internet generation. It’s just as well because the genre was rightly considered a laughing stock in the UK almost from its inception but not quite, mostly because it was shit 80s British indie music with some (not much) watered down yank indie elements tacked on and even more of the scent of student condescension and scene incest than there was in the mid 80s

BASED

shoegaze is just math rock with no technical playing and fuck loads of reverb

This

Grunge was pretty diverse. Nirvana were pretty much a punk band. Pearl Jam had a classic rock sound going on, and Soundgarden were more doom metal influenced.

This album absolutely shits on any Grunge album (and every Britpop album to be honest) but it came out after Britpop had pretty much died, and is a lot more melancholy and brooding than the typical Britpop sound.

Attached: 602547866516.jpg (600x600, 90K)

And that's before you get to Melvins pioneering sludge metal, Failure incorporating space rock and Skin Yard taking notes from funk.

they all crumble to the power of the WU

Attached: wu-tang forever.jpg (296x296, 20K)

HELP THE AGED

Even though Blur are decent Suede are miles better (and their comeback albums blow The Magic Whip and the Gallaghers' recent output the FUCK out), but you are right

youtube.com/watch?v=qks__ZNvhiw
youtube.com/watch?v=jz9GJENqwMo

The Great Escape is an underrated album in retrospect though, god-tier cover & liner artwork

>who are Ride
>what is OX4

This Is Hardcore is the better album but We Love Life has better individual songs

also I should add that Wickerman is the best latter-day Pulp track, Jarvis needs to get back in the studio again asap

It's such a beautiful world
You're such a beautiful girl.
And he only did what he did
'Cause you looked like one of his kids
But Minnie, Minnie if I could
I would give you the rest of my life

Have you listened to his solo stuff and Room 29 ?
Those are pretty great if you like Pulp.

Agreed but they aren't directly comparable. Britpop tended to be much more artistic (at least outside Oasis) and most 'bad' britpop was simply boring and generic as opposed to bad grunge and post grunge which tends to be completely unlistenable

I feel the great escape is a proto OK computer with its messages and "he thought of Cars" could definitely work as an OK computer track

Yeah I love his solo records, that's exactly why he needs to get back in the studio again, a lot of the material on We Love Life (including Wickerman) sounds like a dry run for his first solo album

I just love the garish production, it was maligned at the time but I think the glitzy carnival-esque sound fits the theme of suburban mediocrity perfectly

am I the only one who thaught that feet were actually a dick? Please tell me not

see a doctor
or a veterinarian

FUNNY HOW IT ALL FALLS AWAY

>This Is Hardcore is the better album but We Love Life has better individual songs

We Love Life is even more underrated than This Is Hardcore. The Trees, Weeds and I Love Life are some of the band's best songs.

But This Is Hardcore is one of those albums that has to be listened to in full, I think. There's something very story-like about it, how it becomes less dark as the album progresses.

>Room 29

That album almost feels like This Is Hardcore part 2, the sombre downbeat tone and Jarvis' vocal delivery are very similar.

True
I'd listen to Menswear, Cast and Starsailor any day over Creed and Puddle of Mudd

He was kind of doing that in Freaks, one of Pulp's first albums. Their style chanded a lot between the two though and Jarvis isn't singing this way anymore.

the early Pulp albums are a trip, it's bizarre to think they were around making acid-house-goth-rock the same time U2 were first gearing up

no.

the only thing correct about this post is that big beat > nu metal.