Jazz thread

Jazz thread

youtube.com/watch?v=DXle_yt9tAk

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u4.jpg (550x550, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA
youtube.com/watch?v=XFYYwxECkfg
youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIXGX0Io
youtube.com/watch?v=TtUl4lzRIzs
youtube.com/watch?v=ajKTA7_cvRk
youtube.com/watch?v=UW1FZrpywbk
youtube.com/watch?v=b0xKTjf_-8A
youtube.com/watch?v=WBIsw5rtWjk
youtube.com/watch?v=vgH5Wp_uXJI
youtube.com/watch?v=IeUeSZdf--M
youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLo9Y9z9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

this guy didn’t start music until he was 25, that’s why his stuff sucks. he was simply too old

but it's good

thanks Lester Bangs, for the potent insight

Did anybody make harder bop than art blakey? If so post it. I want some hard, ripping jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=81m8_5mccgA

Lets get the easy ones out of the way

youtube.com/watch?v=XFYYwxECkfg

Attached: jazz.jpg (450x455, 59K)

Best jazz album of the decade.

Attached: 3C4F70F8-5F9D-480D-BEC9-3B8F26ABC747.jpg (577x524, 278K)

youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIXGX0Io

Attached: Herbie Hancock 1962.jpg (640x400, 17K)

How do I like Chameleon? I hate that repetitive riff in the first half. It just rubs me the wrong way, and it gets really annoying to listen to. I like everything else in Headhunters but can't stand Chameleon.
I'm a newcomer to the genre and I've been enjoying a lot of Mingus, if that helps.

Attached: headhuntah.jpg (220x220, 25K)

you don't have to like it. to me it gives really good vibes, it has really good drums, and that synth solo is absolutely gorgeous, but i see your point, watermelon man is way superior.

Horace Silver - Blowin' The Blues Away
Nobody bops harder then the Jazz Messengers but pretty hard anyway.

Maybe if you listened to more modern jazz, your opinion would change.

Attached: destinationsunknown.jpg (500x503, 26K)

youtube.com/watch?v=TtUl4lzRIzs

Attached: multiple.jpg (1069x1051, 200K)

Why do people like this album so much? I know that it’s constantly recommended on YouTube so I get why a lot of people have heard it. I just don’t understand why so many people think it’s special or noteworthy in any way.

Can anybody clue me in?

Because it's good.

Attached: EB81313C-0204-40A1-BF48-E8D3DACD29F9.jpg (200x200, 4K)

I assume that the vast majority who overrate this album just haven’t heard much jazz before. If your high water mark for jazz is the Charlie Brown Christmas album then it’s easy to see how you might think this is some sort of masterpiece or something. Plus people, especially on Yea Forums are suckers for a e s t h e t i c album art and the novelty of anything Japanese.

Maybe it will encourage people to explore more jazz though.

Attached: 1541015775689.jpg (1125x856, 131K)

>because it's Japanese
If it were by some obscure American with unappealing album art you wouldn't be saying that

>tfw jazz threads are only kept alive by constant trolling

Very close user, but you're one year off.
>pretending to hate The Epic
You're right, they are.

Attached: 8198W00snzL._SX355_.jpg (355x306, 24K)

>you're one year off
Nah, it came out in 2011

I've been liking this a lot lately. Why don't I hear more about this guy?

Attached: grant-green.jpg (355x355, 15K)

So you live under a rock or something? He’s probably one of the most universally popular jazz guitarists.

I think you hear tons but just aren't listening, he's one of the most popular jazz guitarists. He is a master of hard bop.

>jazz thread
>its ryo fukui
>mfw

How about making the conversation about something more interesting than /youtube/core

K. You start.

like RYM memejazz!

who would have thought that The Comet is Coming of all things would be the #1 rated jazz album of 2019 so far

the last track is a pretty good contemporary spiritual jazz -track, though
youtube.com/watch?v=ajKTA7_cvRk

Attached: comet_is_coming.jpg (800x800, 141K)

omg if you dont like japan then why are you posting on Yea Forums

These are good albums, but you're both wrong.

Attached: a3107810367_10.jpg (1200x1078, 530K)

Grant Green's later 70's funk stuff is underrated (also overrated if you ask jazz purists)

youtube.com/watch?v=UW1FZrpywbk

Attached: grant_green_lighthouse.jpg (600x599, 101K)

You're probs not looking in the right circles. There's plenty that's been said about him and he's pretty popular around /jazz/.

Attached: Idle_Moments.jpg (316x316, 14K)

any modern jazz fusion that is atmospheric?

Dont mind me just passing by

Attached: 5C3D6E47-4DFE-487A-A317-83286D10342E.jpg (220x220, 17K)

Attached: jazz guitar chart.png (2968x1183, 3.83M)

Neat, haven't seen this one before. /jazz/ makes cool charts.

Attached: pianotrios.jpg (838x682, 580K)

once you combine fusion and atmospheric you tend to get stuff that is hard to classify as jazz, I guess

try Oddarrang - the musicians have some jazz cred, they record for a jazz-focused label and mostly play jazz festivals and jazz clubs
youtube.com/watch?v=b0xKTjf_-8A

also Hidden Orchestra
youtube.com/watch?v=WBIsw5rtWjk

or Skalpel
youtube.com/watch?v=vgH5Wp_uXJI

Attached: oddarrang.jpg (1500x1371, 288K)

I've tried before.

I like Ahmad Jamal

based, jazz fusion is the ultimate redpill

thanks, I really like the first 2 tracks

john mclaughlin is god tier

Attached: R-2185906-1515097070-2386.jpeg.jpg (600x599, 90K)

youtube.com/watch?v=IeUeSZdf--M

Attached: 1435517487124.png (512x512, 308K)

lack of knowledge about the genre, serious it's the most boring by the numbers entry jazz piano playing you find out there

I'm sure the fact that he's japanese helped

No one talks about John Coltrane?
Giant Steps best Bebop album ever

Attached: 51fd1q2EQCL.jpg (500x452, 53K)

"Scenery" is the debut album, and one of the few recordings made by Japanese pianist Ryo Fukui. It's a simple piano trio setup with Fukui accompanied by bassist Satoshi Denpo and drummer Yoshinori Fukui.

It's obvious from the first track, "It Could Happen to You," that Fukui draws a lot of influence from Bill Evans. His style of left hand comping and bouncy swing feel seem directly influenced by Evans, however Fukui often lacks the chromatic, lyrical melodic drive and adroit phrasing that makes Evans' playing such a joy to listen to. Instead, Fukui tends toward short, diatonic phrases, that seldom move outside the natural phrasing of the tune. Denpo and Yoshinori Fukui swing along fairly well, though they also do little to encourage any interesting obfuscation of the form, giving the tune the feeling of a jam session. "I Want to Talk About You" is fairly similar but with a more relaxed, ballad approach.

The real high point of the album is Fukui's original "Early Summer" which finally deviates from the simple jam session approach and relaxed mood of the rest of the tracks. A funky modal vamp defines the melody and the beginning of Fukui's solo, though it gets quite a bit more interesting when the trio shifts into a double-time swing. Here Fukui finally shows some melodic creativity with long, chromatic phrases and some effective crossrhythms. He also takes advantage of the harmonic simplicity of the tune and seems to be channeling McCoy Tyner more than Evans, with some nice quartal playing that gets fairly harmonically adventurous at times.

Gusics? Not a fan.

Attached: 1554282297615.jpg (561x421, 47K)

Why does everyone say this is the GOAT? This shit puts me to sleep.

Attached: MilesDavisKindofBlue.jpg (316x316, 16K)

The 'B' Side finds Fukui taking a bluesier approach, first on "Willow Weep for Me," then on another jam-session-y version of "Autumn Leaves." Fukui blueses up the tunes, but still often lacks any sense of nuance in phrasing or overall shape of his solos. There is one thing that Fukui does very well, which is the repeating hemiola, though he uses this technique so often that it becomes predictable and tiresome. Once again, the rhythm section does little to add any drama or interesting development to the tunes. Yoshinori in particular is at fault here, often ending each four or eight bar phrase with obvious and/or very basic fills. "Scenery" closes the album with another original composition. It's a simple progression that fits Fukui's style well, though the trio seems to struggle somewhat with the slow tempo and the rhythm section puts very little variation or imagination into their accompaniment of Fukui's solo.

Overall the album is very average, with Fukui demonstrating competency in jazz piano, but little in the way of personality or a developed style of his own. In many ways, Fukui sounds like a student, content to imitate Bill Evans or Red Garland, but without adding any new color to give the music character or fully understanding the more subtle aspects of these players' styles . The exception is "Early Summer" where Fukui proves he is at least capable of playing interesting music. It's a shame that the bulk of the album is dedicated to the less interesting and much more derivative approach.

Beethoven puts babbys and kids to sleep, does that mean the music is not great? Perhaps you have the attention span of a babby.

>No one talks about John Coltrane?
What now?

He’s the most discussed jazz musician on Yea Forums. Possibly second to Mingus but not by much.

No, I like Beethoven, and other slow jazz stuff, I just don't get anything out of Kind of Blue.

So what is it that you like about “other slow jazz stuff” that Kind of Blue doesn’t have?

My Favorite Things, I listen to every morning from a month or so back. It is my favorite thing, makes my day.

Attached: My_Favorite_Things.jpg (200x200, 33K)

I don't enjoy Jacob Colliers music, it dosen't mean that everyone don't enjoy his music.

although hearing him explaining my music is highly enjoyable, he has so much talent and feeling for it.

Look I know it's supposed to be technically significant, but emotionally I just don't see anything. I'm just curious what others 'get' out of it.

Kamaal Williams is great, also No New York. Thought it isn't strictly jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=HoSLo9Y9z9o

Attached: Kamaal Williams- The Return.jpg (320x320, 12K)

Haha he posted it again. BASED

Attached: 1548170776870.jpg (1422x1626, 170K)

Is it just me or is expression his better spiritual album over A Love Supreme?

Attached: ColtraneExpression.jpg (316x316, 14K)

Well what is it that you like about “other slow jazz stuff” that Kind of Blue doesn’t have?

Anyone heard this?

Attached: Camilla-George-900.jpg (900x900, 245K)

>Once again, the rhythm section does little to add any drama or interesting development to the tunes. Yoshinori in particular is at fault here, often ending each four or eight bar phrase with obvious and/or very basic fills.
This is the worst thing about the album. The piano playing is ok but the drumming is like high school jazz band tier and basically ruins the whole thing.