What do you think about very expensive listening gear like high end headphones or DACs?

What do you think about very expensive listening gear like high end headphones or DACs?
I personally think that there is a significant difference between for example 25$ headphones and 100$ headphones with a good DAC, but buying headphones for more than 250$ is almost like getting scammed.
I don't understand audiophiles, are you listening to music for the music or for sound quality? If a song is good it's going to be good in lo-fi and hi-fi.

Attached: audeze lcd 3.jpg (302x167, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

audiophiles don’t buy headphones though. It’s just these new generation of idiots who grew up on headphones and mp3s have been targeted as a marker for overpriced gear etc.

Get a topping D50 + JDS lab atom and you will have an audibly transparent setup. Only reason to upgrade is to add up features.

I'd argue anything beyond the sennheiser HD650 is not worth it, considering the diminishing return on investment. That being obviously there are headphones out there objectivly better if you got that money to spend.

I found that when I started buying nice headphones I started appreciating songs with great production. Shit gets next level when you get a pair of studio monitors and set them up correctly.

A good dac is only $100. I use an ODAC. Decent headphones cost less than $100 (SHP9500s). Anything over $250 is overkill or for luxury. I own Oppo PM3s for $400 only because of how luxurious they are (sound is phenomenal though)

This.

I suppose expensive equipment will sound "better" in terms of how it'll perform in a neutral testing environment the average consumers price vs performance will probably taper off somewhere around the hundred dollar range and probably in most cases even less.

There are too many individual variables to take into account, personal taste, hearing loss, etc to ever really say with any definite authority that A sounds better than B.

If you get too hung up on pointless audio woo science you reach the logical end-point and start doing absolutely absurd shit like this. thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

Attached: winnie-the-pooh.jpg (399x357, 21K)

Nice sound system is worthwhile. Headphones, don't bother with anything that needs an extra amp to get the most out of them.

>thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/

All this to listen to Queen records.

Attached: 55b4f94b488c063147.jpg (852x1102, 211K)

>Headphones, don't bother with anything that doesn't needs an extra amp to get the most out of them.
ftfy

The bottleneck of audio quality is probably around $200 + whatever you need to power it. Any excess money should be spent on a home theater since you are supposedly rich enough to live in your own house or some apartment with retard thick walls.

is this the poorfag circlejerk thread?

yes, have a seat

Depends on tye value you're getting. I bought me a pair of hd58x's for $150 just because I heard they were a good value and they're wonderful. They blow my $120 pair of beats out of the water.

The soundstage can be too narrow but everything else is great. Nice clear bass and highs. They're built really well too. Mostly plastic but they feel quality. and haven't even scratched yet considering I bang them around. I don't even feel like I need a dac. They get more than enough power out of my computer and phone.

i use portapros. I also have a stereo amp and tower speakers.

there are readily apparent improvements through the $1500 price bracket on your actual headphones. for source gear is absolutely spot on. but you could honestly stop at the D10 and save damn near 200 bucks.

like 99% of music is mastered poorly--over-compressed, etc. And audiophile sound system will only highlight these flaws.
imagine spending thousands of dollars to make 1% of your collection sound a tiny, tiny bit better.

>thevinylfactory.com/news/japanese-audiophiles-personal-utility-pole/
FUCKING BASED

it definitely influences what you chose to listen to. but i just keep shitty to mid tier equipment around for listening to bad recordings and lo fi

DACs, amps, and $200-300 range headphones are basically as far as you need to go. Definitely a huge difference between cheap shit and mid tier gear tho. Speakers are a little different price wise if you have a big room tho

audiophiles are always the biggest plebs. people like that just listen for the quality of production and not the music itself (well, except those turbo autists who have a $10,000 setup and just listen to jpop, I can't even begin to try to dissect their minds)

>Get a topping D50 + JDS lab atom
do I need either of them or should I buy both of them?

Attached: 1534892541355.jpg (344x360, 14K)

oh my, guess my stax don’t belong here

Diminishing returns hit really hard on headphones after about 250.00-300.00. If you want the next step up, it's speakers.

I'd love to have a SR-009 or a HE90
Even a L700 would do

why not?

price

just make money then. these are a couple of the new Stax I’ve bought so far this year.

Attached: B8F3B47A-D073-44D6-AEC5-7F67082EDA49.jpg (3024x3709, 2.32M)

here’s another of my stax

Attached: B50EA3C0-DB14-4226-ACF1-2779BCC25B66.jpg (4024x2949, 2.36M)