What are some essential artists who performed in the No wave scene? like Jame Chance and such

What are some essential artists who performed in the No wave scene? like Jame Chance and such.
I am genuinely blown away by this genre.

Attached: LYDIALUNCH13.jpg (900x900, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/insatiable
youtu.be/TxGSbOeoDc8
youtube.com/watch?v=nKz9urG0aB8
youtu.be/AqCL33UZzOM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have no idea what “no wave” is. I’ve seen it used to describe both The Ramones and Swans.

I've seen No wave described in filth by swans.
That album too I loved, with its heavy bass.

Glenn Branca - The Ascension is the pinnacle. There's not terribly much of it because it's limited. The first couple swans/sonic youth albums fall into it but they took it elsewhere. Contortions and DNA on that comp have their own albums (Buy and DNA on DNA respectively) although they all get kinda samey. Also you can go back to Beefheart if you feel so inclined.

what. ramones are not no wave at all.

Branca always seemed the quintessential to me.

No Wave is just a scene of New York underground musicians who didn't like Punk becoming commercialized. It's sort of like Post-Punk but more noisey and extreme. Ramones don't qualify, Swans early stuff does along with some of Sonic Youth's early stuff but their most famous albums don't qualify.

God bless James Chance for punching Cuckgau in the face.

Why did he do it?

DNA is essential
Swans' first EP is probably my personal favourite no wave release, it's a shame they abandoned the scene after that EP. I've never heard another no wave release with a saxophone, but it fits so well

Literally that comp. If you weren't part of the scene it isn't worth getting into it. Join your own local scene. If it's shit, make it better.

Christgau doesn't like No Wave and Noise rock

holy fuck
based if true

>I've never heard another no wave release with a saxophone
What a fucken pleb

it was a movement and not a specific sound, like this user summed up

Attached: a1514904566_10.jpg (1200x1192, 201K)

listen to Mars

based if true
the absolute madman actually did that?

Attached: 0a1310cfaa0f8f1b33fb0d25e742c204--no-wave-post-punk.jpg (379x480, 32K)

>I've never heard another no wave release with a saxophone

Attached: sovGe4N.jpg (750x1004, 73K)

Christgau went to one of his shows, and in true Christgau fashion, picked a fight with him.

DNA are essential, of course. love their EP. and the no wave compilation by Soul Jazz is a very good primer (but you've gotta go with the first version).

surprised nobody has said Teenage Jesus and the Jerks yet

I don't like trout mask replica.
I feel like No wave improved on what trout mask replica started.

Performance at Artists Space in Soho on May 3, 1978. Christgau maintains that he actually won the fight.

the absolute madman actually punched his pregnant gf

Attached: based.png (412x356, 99K)

how one man can be this based

Attached: basedchance.png (428x64, 35K)

That story seems a little misleading since Christgau has been married to his wife since the mid-70s and they don't have any biological children. I understand it was just a friend of his he was with.

Michael Gira once sent his semen to Christgau in the mail. I think he tagged it with something like "for oral consumption"

>tfw James Chance aborted Christgau's child

Attached: 1543439740260.jpg (511x559, 73K)

Theoretical Girls, but you really only need to listen to the live version of their self-titled song

I fucking love the Stickmen, they're slightly more funky than some of their contemporaries but god damn they're great cuneiformrecords.bandcamp.com/album/insatiable

holy shit

Attached: laughing.jpg (866x838, 77K)

>DNA
>primer
I really hope this was intentional

In addition to these check out Mars, and Tennage Jesus and the Jerks.
I've literally never seen anyone call the Ramones no wave.

>essential no wave artists

Rat at Rat R

youtu.be/TxGSbOeoDc8

Attached: 015F62D2-CF34-402B-BDE3-3E00E8379344.jpg (226x223, 4K)

At 1:10 is that Christgau??
youtube.com/watch?v=nKz9urG0aB8

Probably not everyone’s cup of tea but this is one of my favorite No Wave albums. Glenn Branca/Twyla Tharp ballet on side one. John Giorgio poetry set to music on side two.

youtu.be/AqCL33UZzOM

Attached: 6FC837EE-52C4-4BB4-8A98-C41A0004F47D.jpg (226x223, 9K)

Check this album user

Attached: v600_TG_500.jpg (500x497, 127K)

*John Giorno

The impossible to find or even listen to, Man Tit.

Attached: Man Tit.jpg (599x593, 73K)

Is it possible to say that no wave is american post punk?

There were a number of Americans that were involved in Punk-Punk. It was a global movement.

Americans literally started post-punk, just like punk, and the Brits took credit for both.

Post-Punk*

They definetely influenced No Wave along with free jazz.

>Americans literally started post-punk
lmao mutt cope

Ramones influenced Free Jazz?

I'll give you a list of bands that haven't been posted yet that you'll probably never listen to:
>Circle X
>Blurt
>Milk From Cheltenham
>Rosa Yemen
>Suicide
>Arab On Radar

I don't know if I would consider Arab On Radar No Wave.

They weren't part of the scene. They were later, but they did have a similar sound and way of making music. But then again, you're probably right. You kind of have to stretch the definition in order to consider them.

I guess it depends on the definition of No Wave. I agree that they do have some characteristics of No Wave, soundwise, but they came out in the 90s. No Wave was pretty much over by the early 80s. There is also the revival of the 2000s era of "No Wave" bands, as well.

D N A
N
A

extremely based

Both Thurston and Gira both played in Branca's band and were on his albums. Branca also released Sonic Youth and Swans early records.

Fantastic

I KILLED CHRISTGAU WITH MY BIG FUCKING DICK!

Attached: Sonic Youth - KYI.jpg (347x339, 38K)

Americans invented all forms of music, deal with it fag. Our country is the best.

Attached: Hp77H0H1oUszVXd18SDSZ8ggTFz_6I7IBmgTasYZhS8.jpg (706x768, 105K)

The Scene Is Now
Golden Palominos
Elliot Sharp
Tara Jane O'Neil
Ism
Live Skull
Hijokaidan

if you like James Chance, try The Beakers. they were from Washington, but were contemporary with Chance and sound similar

Attached: 71IBw7oyoqL._SX355_.jpg (355x350, 35K)

Attached: no trend.jpg (600x600, 189K)

Yes.

The Molecules

The Stranglers mailed him death threats.