There are only three genres of music: art music, pop music and traditional folk music

There are only three genres of music: art music, pop music and traditional folk music.

Attached: 1483816191829.png (2753x2718, 556K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernacular_music
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There are only two genres of music: music I ilke (based music) and music I don't like (cuck music)
Prove me wrong protip you can't

True
Based

This is accurate.

People get already pissed off about "IDM" and "prog", the world isn't ready for your redpill, brainy Pepe.

How is pop and folk different?

Folk music =/= a white guy with a guitar.

contemporary folk is pop

where rap wh*te dog?

Rap is part of art music.

Trad/folk is tied to ethnic, geographic, religious and historic traditions. Certain ballads, marches, chants, liturgical music, etc. It is usually music not made for commercial purposes.

Popular music is commercial art intended for broad commercial distribution and consumption, most often for dancing and socializing.

Art music is such a stupid term, why don't they just call it notated music or something?
I can understand why people maybe wouldn't see pop as art especially if they want to make themselves seem like they have a certain level of intelligent's but how is traditional folk not art?

>how is traditional folk not art?
The intention of the songwriter is different. Art music is non-commercial and created entirely for aesthetic purposes. Trad/folk is also non-commercial, but is created with some purpose in mind - ritual, socialization, religious, etc.

>why don't they just call it notated music or something?
because it's useless when it comes to certain subgenres of art music (Noise, EAI, Field Recordings, etc)
>how is traditional folk not art?
>Vernacular music is ordinary, everyday music such as popular and folk music. It is defined partly in terms of its accessibility, standing in contrast to art music. Vernacular music may overlap with non-vernacular, particular in the context of musical commerce, and is often informed by the developments of non-vernacular traditions.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernacular_music

Art music is usually a product of a single mind whereas folk music is usually like a folktale which changes from ear to ear overtime with each musician adding some of their own touch to it.

Yes,that too. That's in large part because it is passed down by oral tradition rather than written and is tied to some cultural experience.

"Art music" is a common innaccuracy referring to academic music.

BASED

Also true and based

Retard

Based

Pretty limited view and retarded

Attached: muzak.png (1600x1200, 110K)

What about western religious music? Saying that it's entirely for aesthetic purposes seems like putting a particular idea on hundreds of years of musical tradition where lots of different people had different ideas about the purpose of music.
If the definition is about musical complexity, then I don't think a lot of what's considered art music fits. If it's about being hard to listen to or understand, that's just in the ear of the beholder. A lot of people find most pop hard to listen to.

>created entirely for aesthetic purposes
Buddy did you even had art classes at school holy shit
The primary purpose of art in general is to reflect the surrounding world and experiences with it as well as ideas/thoughts in itself through the means of artistic expression. It doesn't necessarily has to be aesthetically appealing, so the real thing that distinguishes art music from other forms of music is its contender

Pop NIGGER FAGGOT CUNT ASS WHORE! GET CLOWNED YOU BLACK DING DONG!!1!1!1 (btw you in pic related) OOOOOHA. BOOOOOGA.

Attached: 59D3029F-8E25-43BC-BB15-80F2531D3264.png (742x512, 154K)

You don't have any actual comprehension of what the word "aesthetic" means, but OK.

"art music" is literally just a more advanced form of traditional music and pop music isn't just music, it's also literature and art

>Pretty limited view and retarded
My description is the exact translation of what your image says idiot.

art music

lol Rap is pop music. It is music stripped down into almost nothing but 4/4 drum beat, half a melody on repeat and someone who says stuff over it. It's garbage for the niggers who are too stupid even to listen to Nickelback which is a band with instruments and a singer who sings.

rap is art music

ye ye ok honky

are you retarded or just an american?

What would outsider music count as?
Jandek definitely didn't create with a commercial intent and draws on the folk tradition. Captain Beefheart would be a pop musician for half his career but the other half seems harder to place