Why do late boomers and Gen X idolize this shit so much...

Why do late boomers and Gen X idolize this shit so much? It was basically nothing but a million Phil Collins/Genesis songs, Steve Winwood's "Higher Love", whatever flavor of the month teen pop diva major labels were playing to get played, and third-rate hair metal schlock whose only redeeming quality was the half naked women in their videos (White Lion, Ratt, Skid Row)

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 8.48.26 PM.png (527x351, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_MTV
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc2_QIO0Yo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because they're NPCs probably and mtv was the first TV successfully marketed to their age group in a modern pseudo-rebellious style.

The internet didn't exist back then you underage dipshits. You may as well be mad at the radio and magazines.

Some radio was good in the 80s/early 90s though. College stations and modern rock.

>stop talking bad about the psyop I'm still in love with

>It was basically nothing but a million Phil Collins/Genesis songs
Sounds fucking based as hell

Attached: 1552446896092.jpg (305x290, 31K)

It's still a million times better than a YouTube algorithm you dumb Fortnite zoomer. You're posting on one of the biggest forms of psyops right now. You probably think Ben Shapiro is based and red pilled

And some of MTV was good. The concept of music videos was actually new at one point believe it or not

>And some of MTV was good.
Maybe for the first couple years, but once music videos became big business and MTV got bought out by Viacom, it was basically over.

Better than what you like homo.

Also, don't act like it's any different than you fucking zoomers getting all your "music" from youtube bloggers and shitty websites, it's no different, other than your music sucks dick

Attached: headbang.jpg (535x354, 41K)

>cultural phenomenon
>an entire channel dedicated to music, music videos, musicians, music culture, etc,
>nothing like it before
>insanely popular
Yea idk user I don’t understand why people idolize MTV back in their prime

>youtube algorithm regularly recommends channels to me that post obscure 70's prog, Japanese ambient and new age, current techno, all very high quality
>a million times worse than MTV (It's KOOL for TEEENZ! Check it out DUUUDE! YEAH RADICAL!) serving you the latest videos from the ten currently approved corporate artists of the week on repeat
>Madonna! FUck yeah!!!! RaDiCaL!!
It's weird how people get emotionally attached to their mindfucks like this to the point that they become completely irrational. Stockholm syndrome.

t. emotionally/intellectually stunted genxer smelling up some corner in the bookstore in the young part of your town, skeezing on art hoes

It was over when YouTube came around and bands started putting their music videos there, and things like band camp and spotify came around to replace it. People still discovered music through them in the early 2000s

Based

Gen X is 10x more artistically honest and bad ass then millenials.

What were you "discovering" on mtv in the 2000's? Like, Greenday or something? Even shit like NME was deeper than 2000's era MTV.

Absolutely my radical homey! THis just sKrEAMZ (radical) artistic honest and BAD ASS! ROCK ON MY RADICAL TEEN!

youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

You got a problem, with that?

Attached: philcollins.jpg (334x334, 63K)

As opposed to what...Drake? Get real faggot.

>unironically using the word "faggot" as an insult

Yikes. And yes you retarded boomer Drake is better than any shitty rock band, ever.

Post punk, punk, goth, hardcore, new wave, 1st wave hip hop and what do millenials have? Indie rock, autotune, cardi-b, nicki minaj

This

Phil is great, but hearing him/seeing him/hearing about him non-stop everywhere in the 80s probably would have made me hate him.

Nah, even in the 2000's you got decent variety, all mainstream obviously but still variety.

They'd play alt rock, nu metal, pop punk, emo, metalcore, other various rock shit, as well as pop, rap, and rnb

These days all kids know is pop and rap, and guess what, they have way more freedom to discover music, it doesn't matter...most people will get their shit from some mainstream force, even on the internet, and what's popular is WAY more limited now

MTV was actually good and a worthwhile station to have in your cable package for its first couple years. But literally just the first couple of years. By 1984, it was heading downhill, tinkering with the all-videos format. This eventually led to so much non-music-video daily programming on MTV that the running joke was you couldn't find any music on the channel. This led to the creation of MTV2, a crumb tossed at the folks who wanted music videos to return. Then, MTV2 began moving away from videos... It's a fucked up history.

>le bad ass corporate pseudo-rebellion genres
Gen X is so sad. What did millennials have in their youth? Aphex, the whole early IDM movement, Sufjan, Elliott Smith, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sigur Ros, shoegaze, a lot of stuff with depth that outstrips your crusty teen rebellion psyop garbo by a factor of about ten billion.

Attached: gen x %22authentic bad ass%22 artiste.jpg (564x846, 75K)

>IDM
Faggot
I'm 30, so I'm a "millennial", millennial music sucks for the most part. Nu metal had a bit of promise but was mostly garbage. The best thing to be spawned in the 90s/00s was nu metal anyway if only because it brought metal as a whole back into fashion and allowed classic bands to become headliners again and take the throne back from shitty grunge.

I can't wait for 15 20 years from now when kids are gonna be like FLIFF DUDE CAN YOU BELIEVE OUR PARENTS USED TO GO ON YOUTUBE ON A BIG GIANT COMPUTER OR A STONE AGE PHONE TO DISCOVER MUSIC HAHA THAT IS SO SPICY

And the now 35 year old zoomers will be like NOOOO STOP YOUTUBE WAS COOL I DISCOVERED KANYE WEST THERE LOOK KIDS THIS IS HOW WE USED TO DANCE ON THIS FORTNITE VIDEO IT WAS REAL VIDEO GAMES NOT LIKE YOUR DEEP SLEEP VR SIMULATIONS HEY DID I EVER TELL YOU ABOUT PEPE THE FROG

>Gen X is so sad. What did millennials have in their youth? Aphex, the whole early IDM movement, Sufjan, Elliott Smith, The Smashing Pumpkins, Sigur Ros, shoegaze
Literally all those bands/musicians were Gen Xers. Billy Corgan was born in fucking 1965. Millenial-aged musicians would be Perry, Gaga, Swift, Drake, Grimeth, Miley, etc.

Eh, with the exception of Sigur Ros and maybe Elliot Smith, even the earliest millennials would be too young to appreciate that stuff.

I don't even like mtv, but you can tell their music was cut from a different cloth.

They also had a lot of videos that were just weird as fuck and completely unlike anything else like Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer, Dire Straits - Money for Nothing and Thriller. Yeah there's plenty of cheesy songs also but a lot of bands used music videos as an artistic expression.

Bro you were like 10 years old when nu metal was at its peak how are you gonna sit there and make claims about how good it really was

Not him but there's typically a difference in what age musicians and who their audience is. Those millenials musicians you listed make music for zoomers. Millenials listened to music made by gen xers gen xers listened to music made by actual baby boomers etc.

Not completely

Yeah, but it would be mostly late Xers like Britney Spears or whatever.

I knew millenials who just listened to shit like a7x and those types of bands

Because I've spent a lot of time listening to it. In middle school Slipknot was like the biggest band.

Britney is like a very early Millenial.

You have a point but you can't tell me early/mid 90s musicians like aphex or smashing pumpkins and genres like shoegaze were millenial and not gen x.

Lol what? Millennials grew up mostly on either nu-metal or emo and Britney, Nsync, and up to Gaga.
Millennials were kids in the mid 90s and shoegaze and IDM were all gen x.

um no millennials are the kids NOW

millenials also had like, gucci mane and early modern trap i suppose. anything from like 98 onwards i'd say is millenial, maybe 97, through like 2012- present i guess, until a few years ago post 2015/16 when zoomer music took over

we're at the end stage of millenial music right now. only the early millenia;ls have relevance. give it like another year and zoomers will have completely taken over

Yeah ofc, guess I was mostly thinking of when millennials were first getting into their late teens/early 20s

All the cool stuff on MTV usually aired at night. 120 Minutes, Alternative Nation, Yo! MTV Raps, the shows where they actually showed cool music videos and not just the mainstream shit that was on during the daytime hours. also all those pretty cool comedy and animation things back then of course, Beavis & Butthead, Liquid Television, The State, The Idiot Box, The Head, Aeon Flux, Cartoon Sushi, Celebrity Deathmatch, Tom green, etc etc

The people who listened to those artists and genres are millenials Millenials are up to like 35 years old, and at their youngest their mid 20s. Millenial means they came of age around the turn of the millennium. Not that they were born at the turn of the millennium

What the fuck is a zoomer?

You faggots who eat the trashy celebreality SJW bullshit that it spews today are in no position to call anyone NPCs you vacuous hypocrite shitbags.

They idolize it cause it taught them how to get money for nothing and their chicks for free.

It was their youtube
Also 120 minutes was legit, at midnight they'd show all the indie bands

mtv went reality tv in like 95 lol
real world and beavis and butthead shit was already takingg time from music by then

Generation z. Born around and after the term of the millennium.

>mtv went reality tv in like 95 lol
You're off by a decade

Pumpkins were def Gen X not millennial

A Reddit meme. Nevermind.

85? That's not right at all.

I'm 20 and the last real music video I remember seeing on MTV was Weezer Beverly Hills in 2005

No they definitely were starting to do reality by then and began pivoting pretty hard to other programming in '96/'97, for the most part dropping daytime music videos outside maybe TRL by 2000. That's why MTV 2 ended up getting created.

>96 97
What are you on shit like boy bands and nu metal and pop punk hadn't even reached their peak by then on mtv

Yeah, but my little brothers were early millennials and they sure as hell weren't listening to Aphex Twin and shoegaze when they were 12 and 14. They liked Smashing Pumpkins because they saw them on MTV but it's not like they were buying music yet. I don't get how the hell people think music coming out when I was 18-22 is not "for me" and was instead for my kid brothers, and when a lot of their generation was too young to remember/hadn't even been born yet.

Yes but that was when music video blocks started getting cut down more frequently in favor of shows.

>I don't get how the hell people think music coming out when I was 18-22 is not "for me" and
That was also the principle age group at Woodstock '99.

>Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Millenials probably make up the largest part of the fanbase of all those bands except maybe SP. I'm a millennial and I was listening to all of that when I was in middle and high school.

How is this shit so hard for people to understand? The music made for and by your generation is GENERALLY going to start around when the earliest start coming of age until the next generation starts coming of age. Obviously there will always be some overlap but it works in general.
So gen x's music is largely early 80s to mid-late 90's and millennials music is largely mid-late 90's to early 2010's.
It's a been broken up now since we don't have a proper mainstream but what's really big now is mostly targeting gen z and we've got our first big batch of gen z artists in the last few years as well.

What you don't understand is that a generation is 15 20 years and very few kids listen to music made by other kids. When I was 13 or whatever in the 90s I was listening to NIN and Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie and by then those guys were already in their 30s.

Maybe zoomers and the ass end of millenials listen to music made by teens their age with soundcloud rap and shit but that was rarely the case in previous generations

My man I'm glad you enjoyed some good shit in middle school but trust me there were no kids at any shoegaze gig I ever went to. It was always just a bunch of college kids.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_MTV

Literally all of their trash tv happened post 9 11. That was when music videos took a backseat. MTV always had some cultural shows and live shit and whatever else. There were only so many music videos to fill the minutes in a day.

I do understand that, that's why I made it a point to say "generally" twice, once in caps, and also said that there will always be some overlap. Like Smashing Pumpkins had all the younger gen x'ers and the earliet millennials etc.

PLAY DA UHJGUIRTAR ON FA MTV

So what's your point.

Manson was born in 1970, he wasn't 30 until the turn of the millenium.

1969, off by a year.

My older brother went to college in 2004 and he said he used to get high and watch fucking Spongebob and Ren n Stimpy on MTV. He swears it was MTV, did they actually show that at one point or is he making shit up?

>Millenial-aged musicians would be Perry, Gaga, Swift, Drake, Grimeth, Miley, etc.
There's definitely a different attitude to them as well compared with the Gen Xer aged guys especially in that trying to be as edgy as humanly possible gave way to being a quirky Tumblrfaggot.

I always felt MTV was a peculiarly Gen Xer thing and that's why it died out, it couldn't adapt to Millenial tastes.

Eminem is a late Gen Xer and his fans are mostly all Millenials.

Do you want an argument or something? My point was that a generations music isn't parallel to a generations birth years and that looking at music around the time a generation is coming of age is generally more indicative of that generation, excluding overlap ofc.

Lol I think it was actually played on MTV for a short bit but they mustve gone to Nickelodeon prettyfast. I wouldn't be surprised if it debuted in a skit on liquid television on MTV or something. At least I vaguely remember some animation resembling some of that Nick shit.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc2_QIO0Yo

So he was in his late 20s, meanwhile his fanbase was mostly 13 16 year olds that were half his age or a decade younger. That's always how it is with bands or musicians and their fans.

This all depends on perspective....earlier millennials grew up on MTV, nu metal, pop punk, boy bands, etc

Were those artists themselves millennial? No, but their audience was, it depends on what you're talking about.

The last thing to really make it on MTV was your emocore shit like MCR, Hawthorne Heights, etc and metalcore like A7X and Bullet For My Valentine, this was about the mid 00s, late 00s was the end

Attached: linkin-park-brad-delson-joseph-hahn-JM248J.jpg (910x1390, 143K)

MTV is still active though. It absolutely adapted to millenials. It's zoomers that they're struggling to capture cause kids are too busy watching fortnite videos on YouTube.