Does a greater instrument exist? Literally nothing else can sound as beautiful on its own

does a greater instrument exist? Literally nothing else can sound as beautiful on its own.
Also, what are some good solo pieces and why is Keith Jarrett's improvised concert in Köln the best?
youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_Kti6jvy8

Attached: steinway-930281c88618afac67f5399b6b18a7caba8a26aa-s800-c85.jpg (800x600, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HZUbJhncC4A
youtube.com/watch?v=QPwNbEySjG4
youtube.com/watch?v=107Iwx5RKSM
youtube.com/watch?v=yLGeJ9mrNfU
youtube.com/watch?v=eSKpkl0PD_o&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbtp2BgY4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

kazoos are better

Yeah, bass is better

DING...
DING...
DING...

that's the sound of a piano being tuned 8 hours in

Doesnt have a very interesting timbre to me

sorry I can't take that seriously as your bass is boring me to death with it's monotone sonic palette. I'm sorry you can't into learning a more patrician instrument that adds something to tunes other than the tonic root.
pic related, only bass worth something

Attached: 1237651237512.jpg (1068x660, 89K)

atleast you don't have to tune it every time you sit down to play something

>what are some good solo pieces
youtube.com/watch?v=HZUbJhncC4A

This is the kind of quality content I come here for. Imagine being able to read sheet music that looks like this holy fuck

Attached: 1236781234142.gif (480x364, 592K)

>Imagine being able to read sheet music that looks like this holy fuck
To sightread it would be insane, but it's really not that bad to read/study. His later Sonatas are bonkers though.

youtube.com/watch?v=QPwNbEySjG4

youtube.com/watch?v=107Iwx5RKSM

youtube.com/watch?v=yLGeJ9mrNfU
honestly as instruments go the piano is beginning to show the age of its design

ur mum is starting to show the age of her design

yes, and one day she will die. so will the piano.

I'm sceptical because it has the major scale designed into it.

Attached: ALESISQ25b.jpg (324x324, 21K)

your mum will never die bro x

the major scale is cool, 12-tone chromatic as its natural extension is the problem (in my opinion)

how do you mean? seems pretty timeless to me

Attached: 123876123867.png (166x313, 109K)

Reminder that lydian mode is best mode.

Attached: 12387612368731.png (515x100, 12K)

the piano has a limited harmonic vocabulary which has been fairly exhaustively explored in the literature. one consequence of this is the tendency of piano pieces to get progressively larger, as in the given example. there are also technical limitations inherent to the piano mechanism (no control after the attack) that make electronic design a plausible improvement. I'm not convinced that's the way forward though.

>not phrygian

name one good piece of music that actively uses the phrygian mode

Attached: 123876123768.jpg (236x224, 9K)

> limited harmonic vocabulary
> has 88 notes

youtube.com/watch?v=eSKpkl0PD_o&t=

The control after the attack is the duration of the note, that has a large effect on the sound, use of the sustain pedal is also a thing there. I mean, yeah it's like guitar or such were you can effect pitch, but there is still control there. Piano is beautiful

*not like guitar, I'm drinking sorry

yeah I mean I do not consider that to be the most significant issue with the instrument. but the fact is electronic control offers the possibility of a musically useful way around this in the future

But I mean, in my head, the modern piano is basically the keyboard ? yeah? And there are keyboards with aftertouch but i think most people would pronounce that a shit feature

like I said, in the future. nobody's produced an electronic instrument that seriously rivals the expressive range of acoustic instruments yet

I'm sitting here with my Kawai VPC1, literally finding it hard to continue existing with this beauty beside me, it makes me feel like a goblin

what about this
youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbtp2BgY4

not even close. the interface design is interesting, but the sound palette has no depth.

I think you're hard to please muh egg, that's got pitch and volume control all through the interface of hands, what's lacking compared to an acoustic instrument in your opinion? Now I have to admit, I haven't used it, but i found it interesting. And I'd imagine this thing works with any type of synth, or samples.

>what's lacking
the sound, i.e. software synthesis doesn't cut it yet. acoustic sounds are much more complex and give a tonal control to players that simply doesn't exist in the electronic world except through effects which work like organ stops.

I believe that particular keyboard only has quarter-tone resolution, by the way. which if you know any microtonal theory is a stupid system

I've never gotten into any microtonal stuff very deeply, I think our existing 'western' theory has enough complexity that I couldn't fully appreciate it (I don't work in music, it's just a hobby for me, so I have limited time to dedicate to it). But I understand want you're saying I suppose, have you heard stuff like Pianoteq and that? I'd find it difficult to differentiate their synthesis from a real piano, but maybe I am just an idiot

honestly I don't follow the bleeding edge stuff that closely but listening to pianoteq on youtube it's good, but it's not quite there yet. I have no doubt we'll get there eventually. But piano is probably the simplest instrument, acoustically speaking.