Is jazz dead or are people like Kamasi Washington’s and Sons of Kemet’s popularity enough to justify the genre as...

Is jazz dead or are people like Kamasi Washington’s and Sons of Kemet’s popularity enough to justify the genre as being still fresh and worth exploring?

Attached: 8537CE06-42F8-4C6D-9BF6-C3A980AAC37A.jpg (320x320, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NwVtIPeYIeQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If your definition of a genre being dead is its popularity, you've got issues.

>jazz
>dead

autistic faggot

Attached: 1364174948051.jpg (615x456, 31K)

As a popular genre jazz has been dead for a long time. Which has made for better music since it has become a niche art genre, and most of its best artists make music for music’s sake rather than for fame or commercial success.

Which is why Kamasi and Kemet’s sad watering down of the music for the sake of popularity and commercial success is so pathetic.

There is a lot of fresh and exciting music still happening in jazz. You’ll just have to dig a little deeper for it.

>Kamasi Washington
LMAO

Based on the names that you immediately thought of and typed, you don’t listen to enough modern jazz to know.

>all these faggots mad that someone in their secret hipster “smart person” genre is actually doing something relevant and getting attention
I’ve still never seen a single reason that Kamasi shouldn’t be respected as a musician that isn’t just
>muh complexity

Stay mad gaybois

It isn't an easy genre to do much with, nor is there a huge audience for it. Kamasi's success is rare and unusual. Sons of Kemet? Do they fill a pub back room?

kamasi is shit, yes. on the other hand, sons of kemet are really good. please stop mentioning them in the same sentence you fuckheads

sons of kemet are ass

It's not really rare or unusual.

It's his association with Kendrick and FlyLo. The dude had been making music with Throttle Elevator Music for like a decade before the Epic and nobody gave a shit.

not popular in the immediate mainstream ≠ dead
you stupid faggot
jazz is still fresh and worth exploring regardless of two meme artists making popular renditions of the genre

they might not be the next pyramids, but the aesthetic is totally there. at their best they're pure fire music like all afro tinged jazz should. I also already liked them years ago, before their latest album blew up, so fuck off you reactionary lowlife

STOP READING PITCHFORK

START READING ALLABOUTJAZZ

It is in my country, I think if I started pulling up statistics I could prove the point. Yes I knew that he was already ingratiated into the music world.

Is Kamasi popular in your country but not Kendrick or FlyLo?

Jazz is not dead and jazz will not die. There are loads of fresh and interesting artists. Yussef Kamaal, Alfa Mist, Joe-Armon Jones, Mansur Brown, KOKOROKO and Ezra Collective are all new artists from the London area and very worth checking out.

youtube.com/watch?v=NwVtIPeYIeQ

Kendrick is popular but not in the same way as he was in the US, I've never heard of FlyLo. The whole Kendrick's riot thing, it's just not the same here. Either it's that I'm well under the radar or I theorise that things don't take off in the UK the way that they used to.

Is Kamasi more popular? I bet there isn't that much in it. Not that this means anything.

Name any critique of any music that I can’t reduce to
>muh complexity

Kamasi isn't more popular.

My point was, ultimately, that Kamasi is popular because he's strong associated with Kendrick (having done the horn arrangements on TPAB) and Flying Lotus, both of whom are huge artists.

He's been recording music since the mid 2000s and was barely a blip on Jazz, let alone music as a whole, until after he was associated with those two artists. Hence, his popularity isn't really weird or out of nowhere because it's pretty obvious exactly where his rise was sourced.

Jazz is pretty alive right now I dunno what the fuck you're talking about. Look at the jazz influence in most modern hip hop, movies like LaLa Land, and popular jazz channels like Adam Neely or whatever his name is.

would you have heard of FlyLo if we called him Flying Lotus instead of an abbreviation
why do ppl think drum n bass and downtempo performed on live instruments is the future of jazz????

>Kamasi isn't more popular.
He might be. People might warm to him more. I understood your inference.

yeah but what do any of those things have to do with jazz. jazz is dead, which is why anybody can wear its clothing and claim to represent it

>d him Flying Lotus instead of an abbreviation
Oh yer, I thought he was techno.

I don't really think so.

Heaven and Earth has substantially less hype than The Epic did. That and Hip Hop is the current musical zeitgeist for the entire world, so I doubt a slightly more popular than normal Jazz musician is going to eclipse either of them.

he's a jazz-influenced post-J Dilla/post-Aphex Twin electronic musician. His last album is modeled after 70s fusion records.

Like Death Grips then?

Reminder to take your /criss cross/ pill if you want to hear some good contemporary jazz.

Weren't you guys driven away like rats from the Jazz generals?

they're boring and do nothing special

No, you’re probably thinking of the Ryo Fukui posters

they're maybe the weakest of currently active afro jazz revival bands that I know of admittedly, but they're still really good and keep the spirit of the kind of music that is really important to be kept alive in this day and age by anyone that can do it decently. the fact that they're the most popular is a fluke and has nothing to do with their reaching for commerce or some shit people apparently criticize them for, they have nothing to do with the kind of garbage that hack-who-shall-not-be-named has clearly calculated for popularity and to even think that people in 21st century would shit on a band released on impulse of all labels for being face of the music of its kind is unthinkable, because that's exactly what has happened half a century ago. this board, popular publications and year of end lists are riddled nowadays with loads of absolute garbage, yet one of the best things that might sometimes appear on them, more than jazz usually does at that, gets shit on by elitists solely for that reason. afro jazz if genuine, which it is, is good almost by default. also listen to burn, it's their best release.

tl;dr if you don't enjoy sons of kemet then you don't actually have passion for jazz and should probably stop talking about it

>if you don't enjoy sons of kemet then you don't actually have passion for jazz and should probably stop talking about it
So I assume you can play a pretty good bebop solo on an instrument right? Since you have such a passion for jazz. Can you post a recording of yourself?

kek

nice compensating dude, I've already listened to more jazz than you probably ever will in your entire life and that's all that really matters
of course in the future I have plans to create music that at the very least incorporates elements of various styles of jazz, but I'll hire musicians that'll do the job that I want from them despite my lack of real technical ability, because it's the brilliant ideas coming to life what really music means to me
also with your attitude sports and science might much be better suited for you rather than art, bud. otherwise maybe try some of that honking on a new NFL music recording if you're so inclined to

Anyone can put on some music in the background and have “listened” to 5000 jazz albums.

But how many have you really LISTENED to? Like to the point where you can sing several of the solos on the album. Because that’s what actually LISTENING to jazz is like.

I have plenty of entire albums that I'd dare to say I have memorized basically every moment of. mostly from like mingus, sun ra, dolphy, but you know, that's the stuff you listen to in middle school that becomes formative. if my lack of required knowledge is not enough to tell that for example bird was a genius (I can't, but then again he never appealed to me on a visceral level in the first place, so I couldn't care less), then my loss I guess, but it's not like I want him or whoever else that I absolutely don't care for to have anything to do with MY music anyway. not to even mention that this kind of conservative ideologizing almost killed jazz in the first place, threatening to remove any notion of individuality and creative thought. when you find people that play today like it was still the 50s, that is when you know jazz is close to dying

yeah I know I'm rambling at this point but whatever this verbal exchange is fruitless either way, my point stands